problem with 46 inch apex tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 46 inch tv 2 years ago in sept I believe from target. I think Monday or Tuesday night I was watching a dvd and all of a sudden the tv just shut off and now it wont turn back on. ive tried unplugging it and leaving it unplugged all day and night and nothing. I got a warranty but I lost the receipt so they wont fix it. any ideas of what It can be and how much to fix, don't want to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda lynn View Post

I bought a 46 inch tv 2 years ago in sept I believe from target. I think Monday or Tuesday night I was watching a dvd and all of a sudden the tv just shut off and now it wont turn back on. ive tried unplugging it and leaving it unplugged all day and night and nothing. I got a warranty but I lost the receipt so they wont fix it. any ideas of what It can be and how much to fix, don't want to get rid of it.

Sounds like the power supply has gone bad though there is also the chance it could be the main board. You would need to open the TV to find the model of the board and then see if you can find it for sale somewhere. What model is the TV? I might be able to help find a board.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

an APEX. is it pretty expensive? I mean it didn't give me ne warning or nething.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
an APEX.

That's the brand. We would need at least the model number to begin looking for parts.
Quote:
is it pretty expensive?

Probably at least 100 bucks for the power board, and about 150 for the main board. Plus about 200-300 for the labor for someone to fix it.
Quote:
I got a warranty but I lost the receipt so they wont fix it.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, call the credit card company, they may be able to look up the transaction. Or try calling Target's corporate office, I'm sure they keep records for 2 years or so. Especially if you bought the extended warranty, which it sounds like you did, they should have a record of that.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I fixed a Dynex that I had for 2 yrs for $5.00 worth of power supply capacitors . Plenty of You tube videos on replacing LCD TV capacitors . Hopefully you can find your warranty info.
Target may have a record by your phone # name or address if you purchased a warranty
If they sold you a third party warranty such as Square trade or similar they (or Target ) should be able to help you also

Most retailers can re print receipts from their point of sale records some times it takes a management level employee to do a search and re print your receipt from the back office computers did that many times for customers as a store manager not at Target though . most retailers are using oracle or sap databases both have that capability .
usually a search would need either an address,phone # or customer name ,or product SKU sometimes these type of searches can take time if cust info was not entered
I've even had to do that without cust info for fraud investigations it can be done..Searched surveillance videos also not for purchases though.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #6 of 10 Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

i did spend the extra 45.00 for the warranty, ive called target and everywhere and they said without the warranty papers they cant do anything about it.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes less than ten dollars worth of up rated capacitors in the power supply board can fix that it may be a simple fix if that is all that is wrong unfortunately repair shops tend to want to swap in a new board that is much more costly OTOH that may be necessary ..
If you know a technician or a computer tech we could provide links to information the repair can usually be done in one hour
At a TV shop expect to pay $2-$300.00 an diagnostic estimate is usually ~$50.00 and can be applied to the repairs.
I wouldn't put 2-3 hundred in 2 YR old Apex TV they are a third tier discount brand get us a model # we can see if a power board is available from shopjimmy.com cheap only need a screwdriver or two to change it or maybe JR college that teaches TV repair can fix it for nominal cost.

There are many You Tube videos regarding repairing LCD TV that covers identifying replacing bad power supply capacitors
in LCD TV It is a common problem and can and does happen sometimes to ANY TV and not usually hard to repair

If you decide to have somebody repair the set (a friend or friend or hobbyist
that does some electrical work and
is somewhat familiar with soldering PC board parts this is a good read post # 2
alternately just replacing a board only requires a screwdriver to remove the back
maybe and basic assembly Basic Diagnostic videos are linked also
just changing a board is fairly simple .
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489121/toshiba-regza-32-black-screen#post_23706623

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Amanda see if you have a debit/credit card record of purchase if not and you know what month your bank can reprint a month statement or however many you need and mail to you or you can sometimes go in and they can do that for you on the spot. With statement you may be able to find target receipt number or at least exact date and make target find invoice and do the right thing. but you will need proof of purchase they will have a record but the more you narrow the information the easier it is to find your purchase .

Only major problem is that after two years data may be purged POS data usually has a 12/ 24/36 mo.shelf life. for best practices they should retain record of purchase for third party warranty for the term of the the third party warranty that would set an instruction for continued storage for the term of the warranty
they may not be obligated to do this however.
I have seen data bases that allow this but sad to say that is not always the case.
If above is not done or proof of purchase provided then everything below I'm sorry to say may not be of much use
but you can always try. Another option is to call APEX and see if they are willing to help .

Maybe you can call warranty company direct and see if a supervisor can search their database by your cust info name/address/tel #/e mail date/set model/ store purchased etc.depending on what if any information you were or not asked for at Target when you bought it

. Sometimes the call operators are under time constraints and may have limited access to data bases for security reasons that is where a supervisor might be helpful. keep elevating calls to supervisors . if that fails send E mail and or call target District regional manager contact him or her directly they may or may not be able to help you.if you have a legitimate complaint they can sometimes help unfortunately without proof purchase they may not be able or obligated for anything.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

thank u! i called apex and they said theyll pay for it to get fixed but i have to pay to ship it there. 2 ship a 46 inch from iowa to chino, california, is about 185.00!!
post #10 of 10 Old 09-07-2013, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Amanda a new one is probably~$400.00 and up a local shop would probably charge at least $185.00 to repair the set That is if you could still find one

So at that it might be worth it to fix it . too bad the shipping is that much , Does Apex pay return to you shipping?

If they have to put a new board in it that might not be a bad offer they may send it to a contract service center
there are many that service multiple brands but maybe not they do have a facility in City of Industry that employs 50 people
but that could be a distribution warehouse . Anyway it sounds like a simple repair so either way they should be able to fix it.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page