Sharp Aquos and OTA reception problems! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm at a loss on this one and starting to think there's something internally wrong inside the TV itself. It's a Sharp Aquos 42 from 2007 think it's model LC42D64U but I'll have to check later. Within the last year it's started losing it's reception on start up and typically it would clear once the TV warmed up. Not everyday but lately it has been acting up everyday and now it's several times a day. It you watch the digital antenna setup in the menu it'll drop to 0 and back up to 80's where it normally is.

Initially I thought it was the antenna getting water in the connections so I replaced the antenna and sealed everything to no avail Still losing connection even with everything dry. We do have 2 other TV's tied to this antenna via a 3 way spliter and both are fine, LG 32 (2011) and one with a digital converter. So it seems to me it's the Aquos itself. Are there any internal boards that can be replaced? The rest of TV seems to be just a good as it was back in 07!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Have you tried connecting the antenna directly without splitters and seeing if the problem persists? It could be the signal quality isn't high enough for the TV to handle it and it drops out intermittently - I'm not an expert by any means though but I'd try eliminating anything else that could be causing interference first.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The above suggestion is a good one. Connecting the Sharp directly to the antenna without the use of a splitter will rule out any signal loss coming from the splitter. If you still have issues with a direct connection it's probably the ATSC tuner starting to go. If you don't have any problems with a direct connection, it could be the particular output you're using on the splitter. Take note of which output goes to which tv and start switching them around to see if you can reproduce the signal loss on another tv that hasn't shown the problem. However, your Sharp is 6 years old so maybe it's time to retire it frown.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't hooked the antenna directly to the Sharp yet. I did switch ports on the splitter no change. I guess if all fails I'll just use it on my Mac all the HDMI's work. Hate to downgrade from a 42 to 32 though!
post #5 of 5 Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM

I had the problem where reception improved after the TV had been on a while.  The antenna cable was coming loose at the back of the TV.  Make sure that connection is secure.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page