Just joined the KDL 900a club via best buy - should I get geek squad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a great deal on the SONY KDL55W900A 55inch from Best Buy and I am paying less than any of the list prices on amazon, walmart, best buy etc. Told them I couldn't come home to the wife unless they matched the no tax from amazon (they subtracted the tax amount from the sales price but I still ultimately had to pay tax on top of that) and then got them to come under that price a little. Managed to save 75 bucks over Amazon and everywhere else when all was said and done which isn't a lot but everything helps at this price level. I definitely want to get an extended warranty from somewhere. Any recommendations? I have 15 days from today to purchase Geek Squad. Should I do it? What about square trade? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 7 month old at home and I am terrified she is going to throw something at the TV but I don't think any warranty will cover that. However, I live in South Florida and the lightning and power surges are really bad in the summer. Pretty sure lightning hit my house last night although my old xbr4 was plugged in and is fine.

Finally, I was thinking mono price the whole way for HDMI cables but Best Buy tried to pressure me into buying allegedly higher quality cables which conveniently for them cost 200 a piece. I didn't bite. Any truth to that though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnabb View Post

Finally, I was thinking mono price the whole way for HDMI cables but Best Buy tried to pressure me into buying allegedly higher quality cables which conveniently for them cost 200 a piece. I didn't bite. Any truth to that though?

Yep. All you need is Certified High Speed HDMI cables and places like Monoprice, MediaBridge, Blue Jeans are excellent places to purchase the cables for very reasonable prices. If you need lengths longer than 25', you can look at Redmere cables (from Monoprice). I use them not for the length, but for the amazing thinness and flexibility of the cables. The only caveat on Redmere cables is that they are uni-directional, but the cables are marked. They have a small chipset at the sink (tv) end that pulls a small amount of power from the sink so that the cables themselves don't have to big large gauge wire and can go further than 25' without loss of signal quality.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page