Upgrade Sony XBR-Series KDL-46XBR2 or Not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-22-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I been thinking of getting a 55 inch or so tv, im currently using a Sony XBR-Series KDL-46XBR2. I bought it in 2006 when it first came out for about $4400.00...

Is it worth upgrading to a samsung 7100 series or anything else, or is the quality still about the same in 7 years.... My Sony is still perfectly fine however, it is wall mounted but its pretty thick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

I been thinking of getting a 55 inch or so tv, im currently using a Sony XBR-Series KDL-46XBR2. I bought it in 2006 when it first came out for about $4400.00...

Is it worth upgrading to a samsung 7100 series or anything else, or is the quality still about the same in 7 years.... My Sony is still perfectly fine however, it is wall mounted but its pretty thick.

The answer depends on so many subjective factors that only you can make that determination. But here's my take, for what it's worth:

If PQ is the sole determinant, I wouldn't expect a huge improvement in any current models. Your 46XBR2 has the (IMO) stellar Bravia Engine PRO video processor, CCFL back-lighting and (IIRC) a matte screen, resulting in a stunning picture.

OTOH, current comparable models are much thinner, lighter, are much more energy efficient (and thus give off less heat), offer networking (usually with built-in wireless), 3D video reproduction, more digital connectivity (although you might lose some legacy inputs), and a host of other features not available in 2006.

Of course, you will probably have to shell out some major $$$ for a comparable model, such as last year's Sony KDL-55HX950 or this year's XBR-55X900a and you won't get much on the reseller's market for your old set (I would guess around $500 to $600 tops).

I recently traded up from a KDL-46XBR5 (same processor as the XBR2) to a KDL-55HX929, mainly for the larger screen size. While I appreciate the other features, I was really only interested in a more cinematic experience with the larger screen, and I wasn't disappointed. I find the PQ to be comparable (maybe slightly better due to the LED backlighting with local dimming). If you are sticking to the Sony line and you care about PQ, I think you would be disappointed with anything less than the X-Reality PRO processor, so bear that in mind. And I believe the Samsung 7100 line would be a major step down.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I went from a X3500 (XBR4/5 - CCFL) to a X4500(XBR8 full array local dimming LED) a few years ago. No regrets eventhough off-axis is worse and there is blooming/haloing. XBR8 does have better blacks/PQ.

XBR2 is a CCFL LCd which will give a slighty different look than a LED LCd.

not all LEDs are equal
http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page