Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/sharp-announces-the-8-000-70-inch-4k-aquos/

Figure it'll street at $7k out of the gates. That should put a little pressure on Sony, currently $6500 for their 65". Have to think they'll go to $6k to put a little more distance between it and the larger Sharp.

Surprised they're shipping it prior to hdmi 2.0. I figured any mfr who hadn't gotten a 4K set to market yet would just wait. It's only a few months away at this point.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
One of the few to announce a 70" set. I'm keen for something bigger than my 65" but Sharp is always late to the game in regards to the 3D glasses. It took them a while before they came around to blue tooth 3D and now they are sticking with it for 4k where Sony and the rest are going passive. Me, I'm using active now and can't wait to do passive on 4k 3D. No Sharp for me.

Anthony, have you heard any probable dates for 2.0? It sounds like you are saying third or fourth quarter.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 233
This looks exactly like the LC-70UD1 that was just released in Japan. Specs show it still only has the the HDM1 1.4 that only allows 4K@30hz max. No Displayport 1.2 or HDbaseT connection that would be required for higher rates and 4.4.4 color. So far Samsung has the only easily upgradable EVO kit for connectors. Also, there was no mention of the MothEye screen in the US press release, though it is a feature on 70UD1. In Japan the 70UD1 is already on the street for around $6500, despite is $8500 MSRP. So hopefully we will seem the same street prices in the US. It could really give the 65" 4K Sony and Samsungs some serious competition.
post #4 of 25 Old 06-26-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Jbug everything I have seen and read points to Q4 2013 for finalization of the spec, with hardware shipping not long thereafter. My guess is that CES2014 in January will see a metric ton of 4K sets rolled out by just about everyone, shipping throughout 2014 in more or less usual time frames. Just informed speculation for the most part.

On price pressure - apparently the Sony sets have just had their prices lowered, at least the 64" and 84"... Funny timing smile.gif

Double True!
post #5 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Jbug everything I have seen and read points to Q4 2013 for finalization of the spec, with hardware shipping not long thereafter. My guess is that CES2014 in January will see a metric ton of 4K sets rolled out by just about everyone, shipping throughout 2014 in more or less usual time frames. Just informed speculation for the most part.

On price pressure - apparently the Sony sets have just had their prices lowered, at least the 64" and 84"... Funny timing smile.gif

I agree and was glad to see a break through in price. I have also been looking forward to more info from Samsung on their 65" UHD. Of all the websites I visited one said that Samsung is using active 3D glasses with their upcoming TVs. That would be a bummer if true cause Samsung has an ace up their sleeve with their Evolution Kit.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Won't this be limited to 4K@30hz? Not that I would spend $7K on a TV anyway, but I wouldn't even spend $3k on one until it does 60hz.

I think they've really messed up by not getting the new HDMI standards out.

Reminds me of the BS you used to have to deal with with 1080P TV's only having a 1080i capable input. I _hated_ that.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrobert View Post

Won't this be limited to 4K@30hz? Not that I would spend $7K on a TV anyway, but I wouldn't even spend $3k on one until it does 60hz.

I think they've really messed up by not getting the new HDMI standards out.

Reminds me of the BS you used to have to deal with with 1080P TV's only having a 1080i capable input. I _hated_ that.

Yeah, it does seem like either 4K jumped the gun or HDMI 2.0 is dragging its feet. And there is not even an alternative how like DVI was used when we made the jump to 1080p. The only 4K set I would consider would be the Samsungs with the "EVO" upgrade option. On the hardware side all this uncertainty will most likely make me hold off on the PS4 until they switch to a faster connector. I remember the first Xbox 360s shipped without HDMI ports and made the switch a year later or so.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Yeah, it does seem like either 4K jumped the gun or HDMI 2.0 is dragging its feet. And there is not even an alternative how like DVI was used when we made the jump to 1080p. The only 4K set I would consider would be the Samsungs with the "EVO" upgrade option. On the hardware side all this uncertainty will most likely make me hold off on the PS4 until they switch to a faster connector. I remember the first Xbox 360s shipped without HDMI ports and made the switch a year later or so.

Definitely. I'm less worried about the PS4/Xbox One though - they won't have the horsepower for meaningful 4K gaming anyway so will always be 1080p upscaled.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Toshiba getting in on the act for August as well...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/27/toshiba-4k-tvs-l9300u-84-65-58/

Pricing seems about on par.

Have to admit I'm surprised by the rush to release these sets in advance of hdmi 2.0.

Double True!
post #10 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrobert View Post

Definitely. I'm less worried about the PS4/Xbox One though - they won't have the horsepower for meaningful 4K gaming anyway so will always be 1080p upscaled.

I doubt either the XB1 or PS4 could ever do any 4K on the fly gaming. At least not at an acceptable frame rate. However, both have announced 4K video playback and can easily do 4K@60-120hz with their stated CPU/GPU and h.265 codec. However, they will be limited by the crippled HDMI 1.4 connection until HDMI 2.0 comes out or if they get tired of waiting, go with DP1.2, HDbaseT or their own proprietary connection. Probably both will make the switch to HDMI 2.0 by the end of next year, so if you are planing on using them as 4K video players and want higher frame rate and color bit rates, you should probably wait.

As for the US Sharp LC-70UD1, some interesting things going on with this set. First, there is no mention of the MothEye screen that the Japanese LC-70UD1 version uses. Maybe they are going to change the name "MothEye" to something different in the US market. Second, it gives up the superior Passive 3D that 2160p displays excel at in favor of an active shutter solution? Why? It will still be capped to 3840x1080 by the 4K@30hz limitation of the HDMI 1.4 connection.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I love that 4k is a real thing, and I am almost always an early adopter, but I am sitting this one out. In 2 years, or so, I will see where content and cost are at and make a jump based on that.

Upscaling is not sexy to me... Or sexy enough to jump in.

Cool stuff, though, and great to see the tech moving forward smile.gif

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #12 of 25 Old 06-29-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Toshiba getting in on the act for August as well...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/27/toshiba-4k-tvs-l9300u-84-65-58/

Pricing seems about on par.

Have to admit I'm surprised by the rush to release these sets in advance of hdmi 2.0.
On par with what? 5k for the smallest 58" to 17K for the 84". Yeah ok, good luck selling these to Forbes 400 demographics..,
post #13 of 25 Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post

I love that 4k is a real thing, and I am almost always an early adopter, but I am sitting this one out. In 2 years, or so, I will see where content and cost are at and make a jump based on that.

Upscaling is not sexy to me... Or sexy enough to jump in.

Cool stuff, though, and great to see the tech moving forward smile.gif

Agree. Love that mfgs are pushing the standard, but my new anti-early adopter rule for myself is "Until cable/satellite providers have 50+ channels offering daily mainstream content at the new resolution, I'm not buying in". That goes for 4k, 8k, or whatever improvements there are down the road.

So until I can turn on a content provider and see all the major networks (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX), and the big cable networks (HBO/Showtime/AMC/etc), offering ALL of their primetime content in 4k, it's not something I'm willing to upgrade to.

That's at least four years away from today, minimum. And by that time a 70" set like this Sharp will be $2-$3k...tops.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post

Agree. Love that mfgs are pushing the standard, but my new anti-early adopter rule for myself is "Until cable/satellite providers have 50+ channels offering daily mainstream content at the new resolution, I'm not buying in". That goes for 4k, 8k, or whatever improvements there are down the road.

So until I can turn on a content provider and see all the major networks (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX), and the big cable networks (HBO/Showtime/AMC/etc), offering ALL of their primetime content in 4k, it's not something I'm willing to upgrade to.

That's at least four years away from today, minimum. And by that time a 70" set like this Sharp will be $2-$3k...tops.

Interesting that I recall the same argument being presented about ten years ago and redundantly interim when it came to the future of 1080P, doubting Thomas's with Blu-Ray, PS3, Xbox and every single evolution of todays technology. Some of us are getting too old to play this waiting game in ten year cycles as for some of us eventually we all run out of those waiting periods.

Live for TODAY and screw waiting ten years after a Quad Bypass and the wick grows shorter and whatever health threats that may crop up. Guess if one's 19 that's a fairly safe play but again that cycle and argument could go on infinitely. Enjoy the wait!wink.gif
tlwiz1 likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #15 of 25 Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Interesting that I recall the same argument being presented about ten years ago and redundantly interim when it came to the future of 1080P, doubting Thomas's with Blu-Ray, PS3, Xbox and every single evolution of todays technology. Some of us are getting too old to play this waiting game in ten year cycles as for some of us eventually we all run out of those waiting periods.

Live for TODAY and screw waiting ten years after a Quad Bypass and the wick grows shorter and whatever health threats that may crop up. Guess if one's 19 that's a fairly safe play but again that cycle and argument could go on infinitely. Enjoy the wait!wink.gif

Very well said! I couldn't agree more! One could wait years for the next big thing, or better this or that, but if you're not around to enjoy it at that time, what good is it?
post #16 of 25 Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Very well said! I couldn't agree more! One could wait years for the next big thing, or better this or that, but if you're not around to enjoy it at that time, what good is it?

Agree 100%. My new speakers arrive next Tuesday.
post #17 of 25 Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
so with every TV manufacture coming out with 4K tv's within the next few months and on ward, how low will the prices drop? we also have redray 4Kplayer available for shipping and there redray 4K projector that will be ready soon.

competition will be tight, how much better is a certifed THX tv over a non certified THX? how far better is the new sharp over the sony 84" or the samsung 84" 4K tv's?

I am finnaly going to get the TV i have been waiting for all these years lol it will take a few more months thou, why is 2,0 HDMI so important? i have been out of the loop for some time?

Whats funny is how fast 4K tv prices are dropping and they will only drop lower as the year ends.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #18 of 25 Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

so with every TV manufacture coming out with 4K tv's within the next few months and on ward, how low will the prices drop? we also have redray 4Kplayer available for shipping and there redray 4K projector that will be ready soon.

competition will be tight, how much better is a certifed THX tv over a non certified THX? how far better is the new sharp over the sony 84" or the samsung 84" 4K tv's?

I am finnaly going to get the TV i have been waiting for all these years lol it will take a few more months thou, why is 2,0 HDMI so important? i have been out of the loop for some time?

Whats funny is how fast 4K tv prices are dropping and they will only drop lower as the year ends.

Once volume ramps up, 4K should not add a lot to the cost of a set. Probably in 2 years it would be less than a 10% premium on the price of a similar sized 1080p set. The problem with them now is they are limited to 4K@30hz with the current HDMI profile. The Samsung comes with an "EVO" kit that lets you easily swap out the HDMI connector board for when HDMI 2.0 comes available. The main problem is still 4K native content. Everyone is following Sony's lead at this point, since they are the ones with the media and hardware to make 4K happen. Really at this point it is others that have been slowing them down like HDMI 2.0, BLU-RAY coalition, universal HEVC h.265 codec and a solid distribution plan. They want to go digital download like DVD/BLURAY/HDTV do, but the bandwidth, data cap and storage solution in the US is not there yet, so it looks like at least one more generation of physical media is needed.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

On par with what? 5k for the smallest 58" to 17K for the 84". Yeah ok, good luck selling these to Forbes 400 demographics..,

Yes. By on par I meant with the existing 4K sets already on the market and/or announced with firm pricing. rolleyes.gif

And FYI $5-6k for the 55-65" models is a good deal lower than many people were guessing not that long ago.

In what will seem like the blink of an eye, 4K sets will become effectively the only kind of set you can buy above say 55",, as 1080P sets are today.

2013 - halo sets with premium pricing
2014 - 4K down to mid range models
2015 - 4K pretty much at today's 1080P pricing

And if anything I might be too conservative here. Watch.

Double True!
post #20 of 25 Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I will buy one in 2 years. Why? Standards, content, price, quality, features... Everything will be a point where I am comfortable buying. Not neccesarily the peak, per se, but hopefully at a place where I feel justified.

For now, my 80 inch 1080p set blows my mind! Still, I am psyched for the future of this tech.

And for those buying now, I think that is awesome. I just have bought too much leading edge tech over the years only to replace it quickly thereafter so I am a little gun shy wink.gif

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #21 of 25 Old 07-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
heres a 39 inch well within our budget but good is it

Seiki releases 39" Ultra HD TV for $699

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1373028365

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #22 of 25 Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

heres a 39 inch well within our budget but good is it

Seiki releases 39" Ultra HD TV for $699

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1373028365

I'll go one smaller and charge more for a 4K PC monitor:

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PQ321Q/

An Experience Only 4K Can Deliver: Professional 31.5” 4K UHD monitor with 3840 x 2160 resolution

31.5-inch 4K display with ultra-high definition (UHD) 3840 x 2160 resolution and 140 pixels per inch (PPI) for impeccable visuals
An anti-glare, LED-backlit IGZO display delivers crisp, precise images with energy efficiency with an ultra-wide viewing angle
DisplayPort and dual HDMI ports, Picture-by-Picture function, and built-in dual 2-watt stereo speakers
The thinnest 4K monitor available, the PQ321Q is wall-mountable with full tilt, swivel, and height adjustment

Sharp intros 32-inch IGZO monitor with 4K resolution and pen support
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/sharp-pn-k322b-4k-monitor/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

Pre-order the Asus from Amazon - only 3499.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ4BIKA

What's the point of this monitor?

Targeted to professionals with deep pockets. The image quality is incredible.
You can see the contact lens on her eye.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/08/hands-on-with-sharps-unreal-32-inch-4k-igzo-retina-display-as-well-as-8k-and-bendable-displays/#jp-carousel-257041

Great image quality, but at half the price of the 70" panel?
post #23 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
How does a thread about a 70" SHARP UHD HT panel get Hijacked by 39" crapola? Apples & Oranges or at 39" raisins. wink.gif
tlwiz1 likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #24 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 10
I don't know if the TV manufactures know that NOT everybody lives in a mansion with big ass rooms that requires a TV larger than 85" TVs. Majority of us live in average residential homes that a 40" - 60" is about perfect for 4K TV. TV companies should start making 4K at 30" on up, not 105" on down. That is soooo backwards. Nu9X5 Now, I have to wait 5 YEARS for a 40" 4K TV.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 49
WESTA6969 Glad to see you are still around. I agree with you and if you look at the TV signals today they are still not 1080p, just 1080I and 720p
1080p TV's have been on sale for years!
When Westinghouse came out with one of the first 1080p 42 in TV's it was 2500.00.The Seiki 4K 50 in is 998.00 on sale.
I am a big fan of local dimming LED LCD'S. I own two and I am disappointed Sharp is not making local dimming and chose edge lit LED 4K.
My HTPC uses WMC with cable card and when the 4K TV'S come out with display port or HDMI 2.0 it will be easy for my HTPC to show the HBO movies I recorded in 4K.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page