Brand New TCL 39" LED TV with "Blotchy" pattern on picture. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a fair amount of googling and couldn't find anyone else complaining about this so here goes.

I bought a brand new TCL LE39FHDF3300TA TV for my sister-in-law. Its obviously a cheap TV but it really seems to get good reviews from lots of people who have purchased it. I got it all hooked up and powered on, and the picture is pretty good except for in the middle of the screen there are some blotchy spots.

Several of them. They are a few inches long/tall and are not uniform in anyway. It almost looks like something is spilled on (actually behind) the screen. They are very noticeable when the picture is a solid color but not too bad when there is something other than a menu screen/etc... playing.

Is this something that is common with LED tvs? I can't imagine it is. Anyone ever seen this? Does it go away with use? The TV has only been on a few minutes as its brand new. I tried turning it off/on and the spots were there in the same spot on return. I can get an image (eventually as its not at my house) if anyone needs it. If I bought it locally I would return it right away but it was ordered online and I'm afraid of how much of a hassle it will be to ship it back and wait for a replacement. Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, they'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweeks945 View Post

Is this something that is common with LED tvs?

Yes, especially with edge-lit LEDs. The most often used term is "clouding."
Quote:

Anyone ever seen this?

Yes, both my Sharp and Vizio TVs have it too. They are both edge-lit LEDs.

Quote:

Does it go away with use?

No, but there are ways to supposedly ameliorate "clouding." Google "clouding TV fix." YMMV with the proposed fixes.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I had read some about clouding on edge lit tvs but I thought this usually manifested itself as more of a more uniform cloud along the edges or top/bottom of the tv... Kinda like the look of a screen when you are off angle when it appears brighter/darker... This is right in the middle and literally looks like someone spill a glass of water on the tv, then wiped some of it up while it continued to run, it is just a couple large blotches...

Also saw that it is kinda common for things to be around for a week after you unpack a tv while the screen settles and stuff from packing... Hopefully this can kind of resolve itself.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
No offense to the above poster, but he is not 100% correct. Yes, most edge lit tv's will have a bit of clouding. However, the amount you are describing does not sound normal. If you notice it that much, I would definitely take the tv back to where you bought it and exchange it, while you are still in your return period. If it's bad enough to notice now, it can only get worse, and you will have to live with it for the rest of the tv's life.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Kinda like the look of a screen when you are off angle when it appears brighter/darker... This is right in the middle and literally looks like someone spill a glass of water on the tv, then wiped some of it up while it continued to run, it is just a couple large blotches...

That sounds about right. My Sharp TV has it in the lower right corner. My Vizio has it all over. mad.gif

But I don't really notice it when I am watching a movie or show so I don't worry about it. If it's so bad that you do notice it when watching a movie or show OR it really bothers you, I would take sitlet's advice. Different units have different "amount" of clouding even within the same model.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

No offense to the above poster, but he is not 100% correct.

??? What am I not 100% correct about? That it's common in LED TVs or it's typically called "clouding" or that it doesn't go away? confused.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 13
I think "Clouding" refers to patches of lighter area on dark or black screens that look like "clouds", hence the name. What the OP is describing sounds more like DSE or the "Dirty Screen Effect". It is very common on modern LED LCD units. Whether or not it is a problem depends on what you like to watch on the TV and your perception. I've seen it on most of the modern sets I've tried but some others seemingly can't see it at all.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

??? What am I not 100% correct about? That it's common in LED TVs or it's typically called "clouding" or that it doesn't go away? confused.gif

I didn't mean that you weren't correct, just a bit misleading in the fact that ALL tv's have this, and that there is no fix for it. I was just trying to elaborate more on what you said so that the OP knows he should probably take it back.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

I didn't mean that you weren't correct, just a bit misleading in the fact that ALL tv's have this, and that there is no fix for it. I was just trying to elaborate more on what you said so that the OP knows he should probably take it back.

confused.gif Where did I say ALL tv's have this? Where did I say there is no fix for it? Saying that I am not 100% correct doesn't mean that I wasn't correct? Really? rolleyes.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page