Looking at replacing my older Sony 40" with a new 55" Sony or LG - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am in the market to replace my sony KDL40V2500 I bought about 7 years ago. I have a budget of about $1500. I have been looking at the Sony KDL 55W802A (locally for $1260 tax free at BX) or an LG 55LA6900. I am not a gamer. We mostly watch regular tx and movies. I will be hooking up a Blue Ray player and a Boston Acoustics TVee model 30 sound bar. Viewing will range from 10-15 feet. I went to my local BB to look at the sony as my BX does not actually have the tv on display only in the box and compared it to the closest LG I could find (55LA7400). The sony seemed alittle richer in color and not as bright. But who knows how the tx setting were set. I mostly notice the Sony has frame dimming and the LG offers local dimming. I do see crutchfield has the LG 55LA7400 as an open box for $1620. How is the LG vs the Sony? I notice what seems to be somewhat blotchy picture on LG but it may be the settings and possible light leaking through? Thoughts? How are the Samsungs (UN55F6400)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Also how is the new remote on the LG's?
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Sony is using LG IPS panels this year for most of their stuff. IMO the W802 looks very similar to an LG. I'm not a fan of the W802, it's not a bad TV, but it just doesn't measure up to Sony's other offerings this year or look as good as a lot of their stuff from previous years. I am not a fan of LG either as IPS panels tend to make flaws in uniformity more apparent since they have poor contrast/black levels. Unless you're really set on passive 3D, I think the Samsung 55F6400 would be a better option, as it will have better contrast and black levels, plus a better smart interface than either LG or Sony (Sony's is probably the worst out of any major manufacturer). I'd also take a look at the 60' Sharps, like the LE650.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1 [walnut]; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, ATV, Nexus Player, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony ST-SA50ES, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sony 32" W650A, Panamax MR4300
desktop Monitor Audio Radius 90HD [rosemah], Audioengine D1, FiiO A1 Amplifier, Sennheiser HD598
post #4 of 4 Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

I prefer the passive mostly due to the lower cost glasses, but I dont see us using 3d alot. It looks like the glasses are only $20. The problem with the sharp is I cannot get a 55".

So the LG has a blotchy picture to others and it is not just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page