Showroom "Calibrations" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 215 Old 06-28-2013, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I know it would be merely a starting point for most (and would never supplant a professional calibration for the end user's specific viewing environment and etc.) but regardless, any help I can offer to the AVS world would be better than none. I'm considering (of course hinging on acceptance from various retailers and etc.) going to various local showrooms and calibrating their displays to the best of my ability. Granted I'd be using an entry level colorimeter (xRite i1 Display Pro OEM) and my personal knowledge which is far from that of the industries best. However I feel as though this could possibly give some consumers a leg up in the decision process (as the displays wouldn't be set to 'Vivid' or in torch mode) and they would make the displays at least 'somewhat' accurate for their current given environment and help them decide which display might be best for their environment. Now obviously I'm aware that the traditional showroom environment doesn't always mimic that of the end user's home environment, but if they can at least see a 'somewhat' accurate display I feel as though this would help (to an extent.) Thoughts? Opinions? Please let me know! Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way shape or form intended to replace or supplant a professional calibration. Merely intended for showroom evaluation and a "starting point" for home environments. For optimal results, please consider a professional calibration suited for your viewing environment, and performed by a professional of your choosing.
GatorJZ, Draven451 and eric3316 like this.

DISCLAIMER: This thread is in no way intended to replace a professional calibration. Merely intended for showroom evaluation & as a starting point for home viewing. For optimal results, please consider a calibration suited for your viewing environment & performed by a professional of your choosing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone has a model they would like me to calibrate please let me know. I can take what I find and upload the information for you (dE, gamma, CMS settings, contrast ratio, ftL.)

*Obviously I'm not calibrating for your home environment, but I can create a stock list of settings for the showfloor and have you punch in those numbers and evaluate the displays from there. Keep in mind that they're in a very unnatural environment and that it's a merely a starting point.
Jim2013 likes this.

DISCLAIMER: This thread is in no way intended to replace a professional calibration. Merely intended for showroom evaluation & as a starting point for home viewing. For optimal results, please consider a calibration suited for your viewing environment & performed by a professional of your choosing.
post #3 of 215 Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
post #4 of 215 Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Take a look at my posting in this thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478950/why-is-warm-mode-used-when-calibrating#post_23471849

I'm aware that it would be impossible for me get my hands on literally any and every model, but I can do my best to work with as many displays as possible. I'm not suggesting that these TV's will stay in these modes or with these settings. It's for specific users to evaluate the displays and see what they think. After the individual is done looking at the TVs the big box store associates can feel free to put that FP right back into Dynamic or Vivid. I'm aware big box stores and etc. received countless amounts of vendor funding and need to adhere to manufacturer ramifications. But if any location small or big, isn't willing to let the hopeful/eventual end user punch in some settings or adjust the displays settings if they desire, is in my opinion, making a big mistake by turning away possible revenue. I'm not talking about service menu access, this is something that can be undone by the simple click of a button in the main "every user accessible" menu(s).

post #5 of 215 Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to take a screen shot for the CMS readings so my apologies.

Contrast Ratio Measurements:

On/Off: 2989:1
ANSI: 2187:1

post #6 of 215 Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any TVs they would like me to evaluate or possibly post settings for?

I can post the settings I arrived at for the 70" Sharp if desired, so please feel free to let me know!

post #7 of 215 Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
If you can do a calibration of a Samsung 60es7500 in standard mode that would rock!
post #8 of 215 Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

If you can do a calibration of a Samsung 60es7500 in standard mode that would rock!

I'll have to see if I can find any of the ES series still. I'll keep you posted!

Edit: My local BBY has the 60ES7500. Should be able to post settings Wednesday afternoon. Any particular reason that you want me to calibrate in Standard Mode?
eric3316 likes this.

post #9 of 215 Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 11
I wouldn't mind some settings for an LG 55LA7400. I think I have settings I like, but who knows how accurate they actually are.

Thanks! :-)
post #10 of 215 Old 06-30-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showroomcali View Post

I'll have to see if I can find any of the ES series still. I'll keep you posted!

Edit: My local BBY has the 60ES7500. Should be able to post settings Wednesday afternoon. Any particular reason that you want me to calibrate in Standard Mode?
Awesome!

The reason for standard mode is because that it uses the micro dimming feature that helps get rid of clouding and such.

While movie mode gives you 10pt white balance there is now way to activate micro dimming in that mode so alot of us prefer to get rid of the clouding and use the mode that gives us a more uniform screen. I am sure no one would complain if you also did movie mode but I think standard mode is the must have.

Thanks again, very cool of you to do this for the community.
post #11 of 215 Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Awesome!

The reason for standard mode is because that it uses the micro dimming feature that helps get rid of clouding and such.

While movie mode gives you 10pt white balance there is now way to activate micro dimming in that mode so alot of us prefer to get rid of the clouding and use the mode that gives us a more uniform screen. I am sure no one would complain if you also did movie mode but I think standard mode is the must have.

Sounds good!
Quote:

No problem, it's my pleasure!
eric3316 likes this.

post #12 of 215 Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWPayton View Post

I wouldn't mind some settings for an LG 55LA7400. I think I have settings I like, but who knows how accurate they actually are.

Thanks! :-)

I'll take a look around my local stores and see if anyone carries the LA7400.

post #13 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Awesome!

So I'm actually going to be calibrating the ES7500 this afternoon. I'll be posting the results sometime this evening.
eric3316 likes this.

post #14 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I'm actually going to be calibrating the ES7500 this afternoon. I'll be posting the results sometime this evening.
So cool man! We are yet to have a calibrated setting for the es7500. 7500 owners have just been using es8000 settings which we know are not the same.
post #15 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

If anyone has a model they would like me to calibrate please let me know. I can take what I find and upload the information for you (dE, gamma, CMS settings, contrast ratio, ftL.)

*Obviously I'm not calibrating for your home environment, but I can create a stock list of settings for the showfloor and have you punch in those numbers and evaluate the displays from there. Keep in mind that they're in a very unnatural environment and that it's a merely a starting point.

Thanks so much! I have a Samsung un55es8000 TSO1 version. I have the evolution kit added to it.
Much appreciation for your efforts....:-) I should say that I like the Standard setting the best...wink.gif
post #16 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So cool man! We are yet to have a calibrated setting for the es7500. 7500 owners have just been using es8000 settings which we know are not the same.

Not a problem, glad I can help! I'm hoping to get more requests from other users!
eric3316 likes this.

post #17 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjcat View Post

Thanks so much! I have a Samsung un55es8000 TSO1 version. I have the evolution kit added to it.
Much appreciation for your efforts....:-) I should say that I like the Standard setting the best...wink.gif

Not a problem! I'll post results soon!

post #18 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Liked: 24
Hi showroomcali,

This is very nice of you to offer this service to the forum. Cheers for coming up with a great idea to share your knowledge/time with the forum members biggrin.gif

Can you calibrate a Vizio m701d-A3?

This is the new 70" set from their new Razor line.
post #19 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
Hi there showroomcali, do you think you could get a hold of a samsungES 6400 , i would greatly appreciate it.
post #20 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Showroomcali, your efforts and commitment is most appreciated by the community ...

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #21 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Would like to see a calibration for the Samsung 60es8000 hs01. Thanks
post #22 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not a problem, glad I can help! I'm hoping to get more requests from other users!
I knew it would only be a matter of time. I don't think people realized what this thread was about. Once more people do you are going to be a busy man. lol
post #23 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 37
Any chance of doing a LG 47LA6200? Thanks.
post #24 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Below are the settings for the UN60ES6500. The calibration was done in 'Standard' mode, per the request of eric3316, due to a clouding issue that can be prevalent while in 'Movie' mode due to the 'Micro Dimming' feature being automatically disabled while in that given mode. That being said, 'Standard' is limited to a 2 point grayscale adjust. There's also full CMS settings. I did forget (my apologies) to post the mLL(minimum luminance level), ftL(footlamberts), ANSI contrast ratio and ON/OFF Contrast ratio numbers. However I'll be back at it tomorrow per some other requests and I'll get readings for the above specs. and post back with those as well! First are the screen shots for the results, and second will be the settings.

Document 1.pdf 48k .pdf file

Cheers! biggrin.gif
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Document 1.pdf (48.0 KB, 92 views)
eric3316 likes this.

post #25 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

Any chance of doing a LG 47LA6200? Thanks.

I believe that a local store has the 47LA6200 up, so I should be able to do a calibration and post settings tomorrow evening. I'll keep you posted!

EDIT: Had something unexpected come up and was unable to work on the 47LA6200, but I should be able to get to that one tomorrow afternoon, no problem. Stay tuned!
GatorJZ likes this.

post #26 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVES07 View Post

Hi there showroomcali, do you think you could get a hold of a samsungES 6400 , i would greatly appreciate it.

Getting a hold of any ES series FPs is difficult at best right now, I'll scour the local stores and see if I can find an ES6400, otherwise I can run an F6400 calibration, if desired or requested.

post #27 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by realife3 View Post

Would like to see a calibration for the Samsung 60es8000 hs01. Thanks

See post above about ES Series FPs. I'll keep you posted however and see if I can find any ES8000's.

post #28 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post

Hi showroomcali,

This is very nice of you to offer this service to the forum. Cheers for coming up with a great idea to share your knowledge/time with the forum members biggrin.gif

Yes, I've been looking forward to getting my hands on this FP. I can do it tomorrow for you if you'd like. I had another user request the 47LA6200, which I'll probably do in the afternoon. I'll do the M701D-A3 in the evening and post back results!

post #29 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi showroomcali,

Yes, I've been looking forward to getting my hands on this FP. I can do it tomorrow for you if you'd like. I had another user request the 47LA6200, which I'll probably do in the afternoon. I'll do the M701D-A3 in the evening and post back results!

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to your calibration smile.gif

Would you mind if I copy/paste your results over in the Vizio M-Series owners thread?

I'm sure the results will also be appreciated by other members.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
post #30 of 215 Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to your calibration smile.gif

Would you mind if I copy/paste your results over in the Vizio M-Series owners thread?

I'm sure the results will also be appreciated by other members.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Absolutely not! These settings, and in turn this thread, is only an attempt to benefit members.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page