How to clean a smudgy matte screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There were some smudges on my LCD monitor's screen, which has a matte finish, so I wiped it down with a damp microfiber cloth. This kind of got rid of the smudges, but it simultaneously created a smudgy layer over the whole screen. If I look at the screen while the monitor is off and light is hitting the screen, I can clearly see the whole thing is smudgy. How can I clean off the smudge layer and make the screen look like new again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 16
Never use water to clean a flat screen. In fact you may have permanently damaged your screen by doing that. What you need is a product called Monster Screen Cleaner.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #3 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Damn, are you serious? Water can damage a matte finish screen?
post #4 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

Never use water to clean a flat screen. In fact you may have permanently damaged your screen by doing that. What you need is a product called Monster Screen Cleaner.
First off water will not damage a screen. Second off, anything with the name "Monster" in it for A/V products is overpriced, and will most likely damage your screen.

Distilled water and a very small amount of Dish Soap will work. Windex or glass cleaners, due to the high content of Alcohol product in them, can cause the finish to glaze over, or can actually eat it.

All tap water will do if the screen is warm, is leave mineral spots, which will have to be removed with the Distilled water and dish soap mix I mentioned before, to remove.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Liked: 16
Greg,

A bottle of monster screen cleaner with microfiber cloth included is 10 dollars on Amazon. I've been using the product for 12 years and it is the answer.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #6 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Greg,

A bottle of monster screen cleaner with microfiber cloth included is 10 dollars on Amazon. I've been using the product for 12 years and it is the answer.
Waste of $10, and again Monster screen cleaner is no different than using Distilled water or Monoprice's screen cleaner.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Waste of $10, and again Monster screen cleaner is no different than using Distilled water or Monoprice's screen cleaner.

You wont get the monster name with the other products though tongue.gif
post #8 of 27 Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Absolutely disagree! As has been posted many times before, the best, and safest way to clean any flat panel is warm distilled water and a clean, microfiber cloth. Just dampen the cloth and wipe carefully with just a little bit of pressure. If there is a film on the panel you may have to do it a couple of times on small areas. Or, for persistent smudges, a very little bit of mild dishwasher soap in warm distilled water/microfiber. You could probably even use eye glass cleaner that you get from your optometrist. Commercial panel cleaners contain all kinds of compounds in them, some of which can, and will, over time, react with the coating on some panels which results in rainbowing. For weekly dusting, I recommend using a Swifter Sweeper, unscented refills tfor a quick, dry dusting that easily, and safely, removes any accumulated dust on the panel. Unless you have small children (peanut butter smudges) that are touching the panel, or live in a smoky environment, dry dusting is really all you need most of the time.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

Damn, are you serious? Water can damage a matte finish screen?

Absolutely not! You are doing it right. As others have said, a little bit of distilled water and microfiber cloth is all you need.

I made a mistake of using too much water which left streaks on my matte screen after it dried. So I took a dry microfiber cloth and gently rubbed the screen while breathing on it... kinda like how one cleans eyeglasses. It took a while but the streaks disappeared and the screen was good as new.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Water is dangerous to use on a matte screen LCD if left on to long. Water is what you use to take off anti-glare coatings. The adhesive that sticks the coating to the LCD is water based and becomes tacky when water gets absorbed through the porous surface of the anti-glare. I have removed many anti-glare coatings and some times it takes as little as 10 minuets for the glue to become tacky enough to peel off the AG. I have seen LCDs that were cleaned by water over and over and developed permanent streaks. These streakes were most likely glue that become tacky then dried again.
post #11 of 27 Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
UFO if you go and take a look at the popular screen cleaners Material Safety Data sheets for safe handling you will find either water based of alcohol based products. I would think if water will dissolve a coating or cause it to smear then alcohol would be 10 x worse.

Monster Cable Products, Inc.
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
Item: “Monster Screen Clean”, LCD screen cleaner R.M. Nos. 160403-00 MISC; SCREENCLEAN V2 LG. #1 (U.S.)
160404-00 MISC; SCREENCLEAN V2 LG. #2 (EURO)
160406-00 MISC; CAMERA CLEAN V2 SM. #1
Section 1. Chemical Product and Company Identification:
Monster Cable Products Customer Service: (415)840-2000 / Fax: (415)468-0176
455 Valley Drive, Brisbane, CA. 94005-1209
Product Disposal Information / 9 am to 5 pm, Mon. – Fri:(415)840-2000
Transportation Information / 9 am to 5 pm, Mon. - Fri.: (415)840-2000 ________________________________________________________________________ MSDS No. 100102 Current version; 12/09/02
Generic Description; Polymer-Chain Based Fluid Family / Water Base Physical Form; Liquid
Color; Slight Milky White
Odor; Minimal Odor
NFPA Profile; Health 1 Flammability 1 Reactivity 0
Note; NFPA - National Fire Protection Association
post #12 of 27 Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Water is dangerous to use on a matte screen LCD if left on to long. Water is what you use to take off anti-glare coatings. The adhesive that sticks the coating to the LCD is water based and becomes tacky when water gets absorbed through the porous surface of the anti-glare. I have removed many anti-glare coatings and some times it takes as little as 10 minuets for the glue to become tacky enough to peel off the AG. I have seen LCDs that were cleaned by water over and over and developed permanent streaks. These streakes were most likely glue that become tacky then dried again.
In that case, all of us better stop using this dangerous stuff for drinking, cooking, etc..
post #13 of 27 Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Sorry, I just don't buy that. DISTILLED water is what we recommend, not tap water from your faucet. If water dissolves the anti-glare coating, then it's a bad coating to begin with, the water used is very hard, the cloth used was not a good quality microfiber cloth and it scratched the surface, or too much pressure was applied when cleaning. Too say that water dissolves anti-glare coating is just silly. Better hope you don't live in a humid environment.
Apostate likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Better hope you don't live in a humid environment.

+1 Excellent point.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would not think that water would affect a matte or any other screen.

That being said, from I what I've read water should not be used to clean 35mm slides because it softens the emulsion. And it appears film cleaners use alcohol. I even saw a Kodak article stating to use alcohol.

This seems counter-intuitive because alcohol should be a stronger solvent. But I guess there are exceptions.

FWIW I have used water on my old matte screen rear projection HDTV & it worked just fine. But I'm guessing that screen uses different technology than flat panels use.

I'd probably follow the manufacturer's cleaning instructions just to be safe.
post #16 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've used distilled water for several years, never a problem. Just moisten a clean, soft cotton rag or microfiber cloth and *gently* wipe it. Do not use paper towels.

Since I'm a smoker, I clean my TV screens rather often. Oftentimes, I add a little isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to the water to cut stubborn smoky film, also with no ill effects. Just don't overdo it, i.e. no more than 50%. I should think a little mild soap added to the water would work as well.

If you do a search, you'll find that a 50/50 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol or white vinegar is often recommended. What you should definitely avoid is anything containing ammonia, ethyl alcohol, or solvents like toluene, etc.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tv/4213061
post #17 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In that case, all of us better stop using this dangerous stuff for drinking, cooking, etc..

This is the most idiotic point ever. Does this mean we should stop putting gas in our car because if we drank gas we would die? Oh no.....
post #18 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I just don't buy that. DISTILLED water is what we recommend, not tap water from your faucet. If water dissolves the anti-glare coating, then it's a bad coating to begin with, the water used is very hard, the cloth used was not a good quality microfiber cloth and it scratched the surface, or too much pressure was applied when cleaning. Too say that water dissolves anti-glare coating is just silly. Better hope you don't live in a humid environment.

I have removed many AG coatings. To do it, I use one thing. Water. It does not dissolve the AG coating, it dissolves the glue that holds the AG coating, which is a plastic sheet, to the polarizer on the LCD panel itself. This will clear some things up: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1674033 I am not saying that if you clean your LCD with water that it will do this. Most of the time the water has to sit for a while, but that is my point. Cleaning with water can be dangerous if not completely wiped off. And like I have said, some panels did not take long at all before the AG coating was ready to be pulled off.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 13
post #20 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM

UFO, you need to stop while you are behind. Water will not dissolve glue, or cause coatings to separate on anything, no matter what you think. I do not know what you have been smoking, but you really need to stop doing it, because you have not got a clue what you are talking about. Look at any cleaning agent, the main ingredient is H20. Even Isopropyl alcohol, part of the make up is H20.

I do love people like you, because if it was not for those like you, there would not be any fun on the Internet, when you run into that section of the Gene Pool that stayed in its own side, along with the Family tree never branched off.
post #21 of 27 Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ Monster probably buys the stock and re-brands it as theirs. Just don't understand what some people have against using the universal solvent for simple cleaning rolleyes.gif
post #22 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:

First off water will not damage a screen. Second off, anything with the name "Monster" in it for A/V products is overpriced, and will most likely damage your screen.

Overpriced? Probably. Damage your screen? Utter nonsense.
post #23 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

Quote:

Overpriced? Probably. Damage your screen? Utter nonsense.
Have you read the complete thread. That part was meant to be tongue in cheek, due to the off the wall comments from UFO. In other words, Snark.
post #24 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:

Have you read the complete thread. That part was meant to be tongue in cheek, due to the off the wall comments from UFO. In other words, Snark.

Yes, I've read it. You are quite obviously one of the those Monster haters who can't figure out that Monster's pricing structure is a separate issue from the quality of their products. I'll be the first to admit that if you pay retail Monster pricing, you are paying WAY too much for a cable. That being said, their cables are of excellent quality, fit and finish and I use a lot of them.....shopped carefully...because in two of three of my home theater systems much of the cabling is visible from certain angles. I'm simply not going to use cheap looking cables, even if they offer the exact same performance, because appearance is important. Monoprice sells great stuff and I use a lot of their cables....primarily where they'll be hidden from view. They are completely functional, the aesthetics not so much.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Monster, IMO, is a complete and utter rip-off. Sure, they make nice looking cables but the aesthetics are no where near worth the cost of their products. Besides, a tiny little black Redmere cable, to me, looks a helluva lot nicer than any Monster cable with 3x the thickness, and they function EXACTLY the same, which means the quality is there as well. In fact, you can run a Redmere cable much longer than any Monster cable without any worry of signal loss or degradation. Passive High Speed HDMI cables are only certifiable up to 25' anyway, unless the cable is active like Redmere is. The same holds true for their other products. Monster caters to those who don't know any better, or have no problem throwing their money at products just to show status (and believe me, there is no status in having a Monster product). But, you are entitled to your opinion.
post #26 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

Yes, I've read it. You are quite obviously one of the those Monster haters who can't figure out that Monster's pricing structure is a separate issue from the quality of their products. I'll be the first to admit that if you pay retail Monster pricing, you are paying WAY too much for a cable. That being said, their cables are of excellent quality, fit and finish and I use a lot of them.....shopped carefully...because in two of three of my home theater systems much of the cabling is visible from certain angles. I'm simply not going to use cheap looking cables, even if they offer the exact same performance, because appearance is important. Monoprice sells great stuff and I use a lot of their cables....primarily where they'll be hidden from view. They are completely functional, the aesthetics not so much.

2 of your home theatres must look like a mess if you can see wires all over the place. Monster is nothing but marketing BS and you have bought into it. That's ok though, you may choose to throw your money any way you like.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #27 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:

*UFO*s comments need to be reviewed by the mods. I've been using DISTILLED WATER to clean my screens (tv's, phones, laptops, etc) for years with no problems. He has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.
Gee, what gave you that idea. I figured that out from the beginning when I first saw that they just pull stuff out of the air and have no substance to back up their false make believe claims.

The only way you are going to ever remove the anti-reflective coatings on devices, is A) Soaking the device in water for a long period of time, which renders the device useless, or B) Placing the device in a high humid environment that moisture practically is dripping off of the device, which in turns again renders the device useless, and will cause the coating to start pulling away.

You can also if you wish, use a mix of Baking Soda and water, or use Armor Etch which will also remove it from the device. Here is what Photodon.com states about cleaning LCD/LED/Plasma/camera lenses http://www.photodon.com/Screen_Cleaning_Tips_Photodon.pdf Another that states to use water http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-clean-flat-screen-tv-monitor.html CNet article on cleaning http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57520824-285/how-to-clean-a-tv-screen/ LG's recommendation on cleaning LCD/LED screens http://www.lg.com/us/support/answers/tvs/cleaning-tips

Every one recommends using nothing more than Distilled water. Some state to add equal parts 70% Isopropyl Alcohol & Distilled water, so that you can remove any grease, fingerprints, smoke from the screen, but majority is 100% Distilled water on a cooled down screen.

Now the one product I do not agree with using, is Petroleum Benzene, even though a lot of companies and sites recommend it as a cleaning agent for LCD screens.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page