Samsung 65" vs Sharp 70". Help me please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, I've narrowed the field down to these TVs to replace my aging and gradually (power supply) failing 12 year old Sony 53" rear projection HDTV.

Specifically, I'm looking at the:
-Samsung 65F6400
-Samsung 65F6300/6350
-Sharp 70LE650

I've seen them in the stores (as best as one could possibly compare in "store" mode, with their demo loops), read everything on this forum about them, and still unable to decide.
Here's my thoughts:
- I don't care about 3D, but the 6400, with its "micro dimming" and a few other niceties might well be worth the $200 difference over the 6300.
- Motion handling, especially for sports, and especially for hockey, football and tennis, is extremely important. I couldn't really judge the differences between the Samsung and Sharp on this.
- I don't think the 70" vs 65" means much at my viewing distance, about 12' to the eyeballs, so let's take that out of the equation.
- We still watch quite a bit of standard definition programming via Comcast digital cable, so again this is very important, but again I couldn't get a read as to which brand is better.
- The viewing room has a lot of windows, so LCD/LED is the way to go. Please don't recommend plasma.
- All three are pleasing to my eye.
- Everyone says the Samsung fades quickly off center, but I didn't see that in my viewing. Maybe because the blacks are so good to begin with, threre's forgiving room.
- The Sharp's entire picture (not just blacks) seem to fade more than the Samsung. Again, store mode may be playing tricks on my eyes.
- Reliability is important to me, as I don't desire to upgrade to the "latest and greatest" as soon as its available (as you can tell from my 12 year old Sony). (In my family, 3 of our 4 cars have over 100,000 miles on it). I've heard Samsungs has been less reliable than Sharps but not sure if this is really true anymore. Samsung's F series seems to be much better than previous years in terms of screen uniformity and clouding.
- Sound is somewhat important too. I have a surround sound system, but for normal everyday TV viewing we prefer to just use the TV's speakers.
- Matte screen is important too. My observations have these three TVs as about the same. The SS 7100 looked more glossy to me.
- I don't desire to tinker with the picture controls once I have everything calibrated. One picture mode for all. Also, I don't game.

OK, so what y'alls think? And by the way, thanks in advance for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Take my opinion for what it's worth. But Samsung all the way for me... IMO the samsungs have way better picture than any sharp tv....my neighbor has a sharp 70" and the picture doesn't come close to my Samsung... Not sure what model he has though..
post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 611
PQ wise I would say the Samsung. This will be a somewhat long term investment so I would say if you are dishing out that much money now then spend a little extra and get the 6400. Better dimming on an edge lit will be worth it all by itself.

Size wise though 70" really gives you more available viewing screen size then just the 5" suggest. I know percentage wise going from a 55" to a 60" actually gives you 20% more viewing size. I am not sure what the percentage is from a 65" to a 70" but yes, you will notice a difference. At 12ft you could go with an 80" and that would still work. So just something to consider. I am not familiar with the Sharp but I am guessing that it is on the lower end of the spectrum? Will probably have much worse screen uniformity.

As far as glossiness, the more glossy screen will give you a better picture and better blacks then a semi-matte screen. That is why most manufactures are probably not using any type of matte screen anymore.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So for the 2 responses so far, PQ favors the Samsung, although I shouldn't ignore the 5" difference between the 70" and 65".

What about motion handling for sports and SD quality between these 2 sets?

Oh, and I just noticed that there is now a $400 difference between the Samsung 65" 6300 and 6400. (the price on the 6300 has just been lowered by $200).
post #5 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious to those that are saying Samsung will have better PQ -- what info is that based on? The CNet review of Sharp's LE650 (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-lc-60le650/4505-6482_7-35636058.html) praises its PQ among LED sets, while their review of Samsung's ES6500 (last year's model; http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un60es6500/4505-6482_7-35118122.html) reveals that PQ is really lacking in black levels, even with its microdimming. On the other hand, the F series is said to be a good improvement over previous models, though unfortunately CNet hasn't reviewed any F6xxx models yet.

I've read from Amazon reviews that Sharp's out-of-the-box picture is not great compared to Samsung's, so maybe fonz5000's neighbor just didn't calibrate their Sharp TV (I imagine most people don't). According to CNet's reviews, the calibrated Sharp LE650 will look better than a Samsung ES6500. It's too bad they haven't reviewed the equivalent F series...

For sports motion handling, Samsung probably wins that one. CNet's review shows that motion is not one of the Sharp's strong points, giving it an "average" rating in maximum motion resolution, while the Samsung gets a "good" rating in that department.

Still, I'd probably go with the Sharp myself. I agree with others that say size does matter, even if you don't think it does. And I'd rather not deal with the Samsung panel lottery...
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K View Post

So for the 2 responses so far, PQ favors the Samsung, although I shouldn't ignore the 5" difference between the 70" and 65".

What about motion handling for sports and SD quality between these 2 sets?

Oh, and I just noticed that there is now a $400 difference between the Samsung 65" 6300 and 6400. (the price on the 6300 has just been lowered by $200).

From a looks standpoint, the Sharp looks better to me - I'm not crazy about the spider legs on the Samsung. To me, they are very distracting. The apps are better and run faster on the Samsung. SD will look like SD on either set, only bigger and blotchier.

Some of the Samsung LED products do have reflective screens, Sharp panels are semi matte.

Most speakers in televisions today are pretty lame. My set has a "subwoofer" in it of questionable value. Buy a soundbar or continue to use your surround sound system.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90
post #7 of 7 Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 10

What did you end up doing?

I'm in the same dilemma.  Can get the Samsung 6300 65", or the Sharp LE550 70" (same as 650 without the Smart features) for only $130 more... but it'll take 4-6 weeks for delivery.  Can have the Samsung tomorrow.

+++ath0

NO CARRIER

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un65f6400 65 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f6300 65 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page