What's the best 70 inch TV????? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, it's probably been answered But which 70" is best? Just got KDL 70R550A 5 days ago. I have 55 days left to return it if Sharp's 70" is better. and it has to be 3D. Thanks for the answer in advanced.

and what kills me is my TV is passive. I think I want active bc i get a full 1080P picture. But then again Displaymate.com says passive was more sharper than the active although this article was written in 2011 I believe.

http://www.displaymate.com/3D_TV_ShootOut_1.htm

What has better picture in 2D as well? Sharp or Sony 70"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I would say if you are happy with your TV, then you've made the correct purchase. If you want to be able to say you spent the most money the go get one of the 4k sets. If you spend every TV watching moment second guessing your decision you'll never be happy. Asking which TV is the best is like asking which brand of car is the best at a NASCAR race.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Liked: 37
I'd suggest you read some of the 3D threads to learn some of the pros and cons of each system (active vs passive). Then you'll know what to look for when you go and see them in a store. You need to see for yourself, obviously, and not take anyone's word for it.

This subject has been covered over and over again, but to my mind, the important cons of active are:

- Expensive, battery-powered glasses (though they're getting cheaper).
- More crosstalk with active.
- Significantly dimmer than passive.

Passive has its own drawbacks:

- More prone to moire. (That shimmery effect as with, for example, a patterned shirt).
- Prone to stair-stepping with sharp sloped lines.
- Loss of resolution, of course.

All of the above drawbacks to passive will be affected, to a greater or lesser degree, by viewing distance. That is to say, it will make them more or less detectable.

Personally, I have a 65" LG passive 3D set and I think the 3D is quite good. By the numbers, the resolution equates more to 720p, but it seems a bit better than that. Although I don't really buy into the "image fusion" argument.

OTOH, I also have a 70" Sharp. Since Sharp uses the active system for their 3D sets, I got the non-3D model. Sorry, I don't like active, but that's JMO.

Nevertheless, the big Sharps offer a pretty good 2D picture for the money. And if you want active, I'd have a look at them.

Good luck whatever you get.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have a new Vizio M551D passive 3D 55" and the 3D is excellent on this. It looks good from all angles as far as I can see. I've read quite a few articles that claim passive is better overall than active but never seen on that says active is better overall. A couple things I've heard against active is that it is more prone to headaches due to the active shutter action & also more prone to "ghosting" . we have watched quite a few movies with no stress or problems from watching. This series comes in 60, 65, 70, & 80" with the 3D. They have excellent 2D too.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Based strictly on picture quality, I'd say no other 70" set can compete with the Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD. Unfortunately, it's no longer being manufactured, but there are still some floating around out there. See if you can find a floor model. I've heard about some crazy deals people have gotten on them recently.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 PM

I just got a display model for $2650.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarM_FusioN View Post

I just got a display model for $2650.

Case in point ... smile.gif
post #8 of 15 Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM

Yea if your looking for best 70 it's the elite but you gonna pay for that like your buying a 80" I personally have two 80" 3d and non 3d models and a lg plasma 60" all active 3d and my friend has a 55lg passive to be honest active is beyond better simple you get full resolution now I will admit if you are prone to headaches or eye strain then def passive is the way to,go so you can watch and enjoy your set all this battery powered and active glasses being more expensive to me is a moot point you just spent 1500 to 2500 for a tv you mean 80 dollars is gonna break you if it's like that then you should not be buying a expensive set budget your money better and be more realistic and buy a smaller set now if your enjoying your Sony product keep it calibrate it and be happy but if you have not experienced active watch a full movie on passive set then turn and watch that same movie on active then you will know as far as cross talk adjust your 3d picture in options now some movies were just filmed bad and produce stupid amounts of cross talk example green lantern
post #9 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

I will admit if you are prone to headaches or eye strain then...

I will admit that your lack of punctuation and grammar makes me prone to headaches and eye strain!
Mysticeti likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Beach View Post

I will admit that your lack of punctuation and grammar makes me prone to headaches and eye strain!

Ok good deal it is just the Internet if its that much of a strain don't read it move on eek.gif
post #11 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 AM

The M series vizio is very good , BB should have it soon,to see,we got ours at Amazon 70 incher it,s stunning
post #12 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 AM

The M series vizio is very good , BB should have it soon,to see,we got ours at Amazon 70 incher it,s stunning
post #13 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 AM

post #14 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 AM

post #15 of 15 Old 08-16-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page