Samsung 4K Anticipation Thread. UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Discusion - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 781 Old 09-26-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

Sharp should really get a hold of their customer service people then. I have called on 2 separate occasions and have been told that they will support hdmi 2.0. This is a real bummer. I will have to call again and try to talk to someone who actually knows for sure.

Its sad a company will say something about a product that is not true mad.gif

Did they say that it supported HDMI 2.0 specifically, without being prompted? Or did they stick to their line of 4 inputs that support "native 4K" input?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 781 Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,972
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

All take all you have at that price.smile.gif
It is quite amazing, but it is true, in the electronics sector is a true race to zero when you think about it.......
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #453 of 781 Old 09-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The price drops in the next few months should be interesting. I guess the question is how long to wait for a few hundred off the price?
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #454 of 781 Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well, I will be receiving my UN65F9000 tomorrow. I went and bought a new receiver that can upscale to 4k and pass-through 4K. Too bad no one has some starter calibration settings I could use until I get mine calibrated professionally.
JSteel is offline  
post #455 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

It is quite amazing, but it is true, in the electronics sector is a true race to zero when you think about it.......


It actually goes to negative numbers when you factor in that you have to pay people to come dispose of giant old RPTVs biggrin.gif

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #456 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Well, I will be receiving my UN65F9000 tomorrow. I went and bought a new receiver that can upscale to 4k and pass-through 4K. Too bad no one has some starter calibration settings I could use until I get mine calibrated professionally.

Congrats!! You will love it as long as the set works, Just kidding all in all If the others don't impress me as much as Samsung I will also be going back to the F9000.wink.gif
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #457 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Very true!!!
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #458 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Member
 
starchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: laguna niguel, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found this review comparing to the Sony. Interesting read.
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-ue55f9000-1175948/review#articleContent

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
starchild is offline  
post #459 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post

I found this review comparing to the Sony. Interesting read.
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-ue55f9000-1175948/review#articleContent

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

That's not much of a comparison but rather a gloat about a Samsung product. I myself think the f9000 is a great tv and if it did not crap out on me I would still have the set at this moment.

I also will say if I do not find the sony or LG as nice as the Samsung I will be coming back to the f9000 very shortly!!

4k is a going to become more readily available and more TV's will become cheaper and cheaper as we wait to see what comes next. It is nice that Samsung and sony have been the leaders in the pack thus far and I nod my had to both companies!!
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #460 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Member
 
starchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: laguna niguel, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree it wasn't a in depth comparison. The only one I've seen so far. If anyone knows any others be great if you could post them.

One thing I'm trying to understand about the Samsung is does it output Dolby audio out the optical output when the source to the set is HDMI. I'd like to use a soundbar and realized most sets cannot do this unless they pay licensing costs. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the Sony 900a will not. This is important as I'd like to use a soundbar that has Dolby/DTS processing.
starchild is offline  
post #461 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

That's not much of a comparison but rather a gloat about a Samsung product. I myself think the f9000 is a great tv and if it did not crap out on me I would still have the set at this moment.

I also will say if I do not find the sony or LG as nice as the Samsung I will be coming back to the f9000 very shortly!!

4k is a going to become more readily available and more TV's will become cheaper and cheaper as we wait to see what comes next. It is nice that Samsung and sony have been the leaders in the pack thus far and I nod my had to both companies!!


Yes, I have finally received mine earlier today and I must say that I AM FINALLY IN LOVE with this TV!!! Granted I have a slight flashlight in the bottom left corner but I can live with that! Also, the cinema black option would make this TV a knock out! I hope they incorporate it in a firmware update later. This is the one feature I miss that the F8000 had. Lady and I watched Iron Man 3 as the first movie and it did not disappoint! 4K upscaling was wonderful, the build quality is excellent, the One connect box is awesome! I mounted it to the wall with some double sided tape that can hold 10lbns behind the TV for easy access. I will have to find something to cover the open ports as I have it mounted with the ports facing up. Easy project to do! All and all I am ecstatic about the TV and I pray it last! I will try and fix that minor flash-lighting in the corner by loosening the screw and it should go away in time. I ordered some mastered in 4K movies on Amazon today. I will find out just how good they are! Great times! All I need now is someone with some calibration settings I can use until I have mine professionally calibrated and it will be all gravy!!
JSteel is offline  
post #462 of 781 Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Congrats!!! It sounds like you got a good one!!!! I'm glad you enjoy it!!!
Killbilltoday likes this.
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #463 of 781 Old 09-29-2013, 05:11 AM
Newbie
 
Killbilltoday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey just spent the last few hours reading this thread. Awesome thread guys. Can someone post some additional pics of the Samsung one connect box.
Is it wall mountable?
I have a small alcove in the wall where the TV bracket fits into along with the power sockets and all the hdmi/sat cables.
MERKEY99 likes this.
Killbilltoday is offline  
post #464 of 781 Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killbilltoday View Post

Hey just spent the last few hours reading this thread. Awesome thread guys. Can someone post some additional pics of the Samsung one connect box.
Is it wall mountable?
I have a small alcove in the wall where the TV bracket fits into along with the power sockets and all the hdmi/sat cables.

I have already sent my F9000 back but I can describe it to you and maybe Jsteel can show you a pic of how he mounted his with double sided tape behind his tv.


The box is about 2-3" deep by 12-14" long and has the 4 HDMI inputs, optical, and I belive it had a Ethernet and port to display connection on the back as well. On one of the sides it has 2 usb ports. The box is not ugly so setting it on top of a Bluray player is not out of the question.

You will get a better idea when someone posts a pic but hope this helps!

I have pasted some pics off of google but I am not sure if they will show up. Just type in Samsung one connect box in google and click on the pictures and it gives you a lot to look at biggrin.gif

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHJDuQU6zP828oPhddiFs5rl6sFy21gISOfTGIGMbaU64IWugK
http://www.best4kultrahdtvs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/samsung-one-connect-box.jpg
Killbilltoday likes this.
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #465 of 781 Old 09-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

I have already sent my F9000 back but I can describe it to you and maybe Jsteel can show you a pic of how he mounted his with double sided tape behind his tv.


The box is about 2-3" deep by 12-14" long and has the 4 HDMI inputs, optical, and I belive it had a Ethernet and port to display connection on the back as well. On one of the sides it has 2 usb ports. The box is not ugly so setting it on top of a Bluray player is not out of the question.

You will get a better idea when someone posts a pic but hope this helps!

I have pasted some pics off of google but I am not sure if they will show up. Just type in Samsung one connect box in google and click on the pictures and it gives you a lot to look at biggrin.gif

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHJDuQU6zP828oPhddiFs5rl6sFy21gISOfTGIGMbaU64IWugK
http://www.best4kultrahdtvs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/samsung-one-connect-box.jpg

I took some pictures and awaiting them to upload to my mail box. Will post when they become available. The reason for me wall mounting my one-connect is that you can see that I have my cords running through the wall so I did not want it to be seen while viewing content since the one connect cord is not long enough and I do not want to damage it. I love I can put the box anywhere, but having it separate from the TV can be an issue for some. I made it work to my advantage.
JSteel is offline  
post #466 of 781 Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

I took some pictures and awaiting them to upload to my mail box. Will post when they become available. The reason for me wall mounting my one-connect is that you can see that I have my cords running through the wall so I did not want it to be seen while viewing content since the one connect cord is not long enough and I do not want to damage it. I love I can put the box anywhere, but having it separate from the TV can be an issue for some. I made it work to my advantage.

Here you go!




MERKEY99 and Killbilltoday like this.
JSteel is offline  
post #467 of 781 Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks Great!!!
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #468 of 781 Old 09-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

Looks Great!!!

Thanks! I try!
JSteel is offline  
post #469 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Well, I will be receiving my UN65F9000 tomorrow. I went and bought a new receiver that can upscale to 4k and pass-through 4K. Too bad no one has some starter calibration settings I could use until I get mine calibrated professionally.

Congrats on the new TV! One word of caution on the 4K AVR though. You may want to hold off until HDMI 2.0 hits the new AVR models next year. If you don't, you may end up having to bypass your AVR with 4K signals in order to get the benefits of HDMI 2.0, or worse yet, to even see video if it is using HDCP 2.2. Since you just bought it, it is something to think about.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #470 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
+1
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #471 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

Congrats on the new TV! One word of caution on the 4K AVR though. You may want to hold off until HDMI 2.0 hits the new AVR models next year. If you don't, you may end up having to bypass your AVR with 4K signals in order to get the benefits of HDMI 2.0, or worse yet, to even see video if it is using HDCP 2.2. Since you just bought it, it is something to think about.

Too late. Already purchased it. I am hoping that Denon will update through firmware since I have the Denon X3000. It is connected to my network which is cool. I had to do an update once I turned it on. We shall see!
JSteel is offline  
post #472 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,972
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

The price drops in the next few months should be interesting. I guess the question is how long to wait for a few hundred off the price?
Every three months or so, but high end units at times never take price drops. TV's drop in price, just like car values. You just have to jump in there and enjoy life. There is always a better deal around the corner, but you have to buy sometime.

--Not to mention what a price drop these took, wow !
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #473 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Petden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
HDMI 2.0 to my knoweldge is hardware based, which means a firmware update wont let it support full 60hz. Now even though it doesnt support 60hz, movies are filmed at 24hz which is supported.
Petden is online now  
post #474 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
hatlesschimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Somehow Sony believes that the HDMI 2.0 update will happen and allow full 4k @ 60P. If they were to turn on that they would get a barrage of complaints and loose heaps of potential customers. i think in the next few weeks we will see it announced. the X850 is yet to be released in Australia yet and apparently it has hdmi 2.0 ready to go.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
hatlesschimp is offline  
post #475 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
MERKEY99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This depends on if the sets already have the hardware and are awaiting the firmware update. Sony says this is what they have done along with LG. I guess only time will tell. Samsung has the one connect box but it is going to cost 300-500 for the upgrade when it is released. This is what I was told by a samsung rep, so who knows how reliable that is.
MERKEY99 is offline  
post #476 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
hatlesschimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Out of all the 4k hdmi 1.4 TV sets the Samsung's are the most guaranteed to work with hdmi 2.0 in the future. You know they will release the new external boxes.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
hatlesschimp is offline  
post #477 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Member
 
starchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: laguna niguel, ca
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatlesschimp View Post

Out of all the 4k hdmi 1.4 TV sets the Samsung's are the most guaranteed to work with hdmi 2.0 in the future. You know they will release the new external boxes.

I totally agree. I know its added cost but at least u know it will meet 60fps in 4k.I still have my concerns about these other sets firmware updates. Will they truly be spec without a hardware change?
starchild is offline  
post #478 of 781 Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
hatlesschimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I cant see how you can just update firmware on something that is hardware. The only just announced what would be the HDMI 2.0 standard how could they possibly know what was needed lol. Anyways

I like the Idea of the samsung box because you know someone will hack it and mod it to do some extreme frame rate like 4k @ 120hz lol.

TV: SONY 65" 4K X900 - AVR: DENON AVR x4000 - AMP: ROTEL RMB 1585 5Ch 200w - OPPO 103D BD PLAYER
CENTRE: KEF Q600c - FRONT L/R: KEF Q900 - WIDE FRONT L/R: KEF Q300
SURROUND L/R: KEF Q800DS's - SURROUND BACK L/R: MINX 21's
SUB: SVS PC13-ULTRA
hatlesschimp is offline  
post #479 of 781 Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Speakerphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,947
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Too late. Already purchased it. I am hoping that Denon will update through firmware since I have the Denon X3000. It is connected to my network which is cool. I had to do an update once I turned it on. We shall see!

It is not likely that a firmware update will allow an upgrade to HDMI 2.0 on the X3000. I'd be less concerned about 60FPS and more concerned about the new version of HDCP that will likely accompany all 4K content delivery mechanisms. Don't you have a return policy?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Speakerphile is offline  
post #480 of 781 Old 10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

It is not likely that a firmware update will allow an upgrade to HDMI 2.0 on the X3000. I'd be less concerned about 60FPS and more concerned about the new version of HDCP that will likely accompany all 4K content delivery mechanisms. Don't you have a return policy?

I do have a return policy but I have already set up my receiver and it works flawlessly. Since HDMI 2.0 is a few months away from being totally implemented and I am going to guess that CES 2014 will have all the new gadgets. When I see what is on the horizon, I will make my decision then. Returning now is not an option.
JSteel is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un55f9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off