AVS Forum banner

Samsung 4K Anticipation Thread. UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Discusion

108K views 781 replies 108 participants last post by  priuscat 
#1 ·
Samsung UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 models should be out at the end of July. These units are said to be back lit, full array with local dimming. Of course that will make for a nice price tag.

Info on the UN85S9 >>> Click Here

Info on the UN55F9000 and UN65F9000 >>> Click Here

See less See more
#378 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/360#post_23733663

Ok so now heres the question....

Do I go for the Panasonic, Sony with its media player or wait 8 months for the larger 4k screens to arrive from LG and perhaps, sony, Samsung, and Panasonic......Need some help guys!

So many changes coming like OLED, 4K, IGZO, MothEye, HDMI 2.0, HEVC, Quantum dots etc. that I would definitely wait. Unless for some reason you want 2K OLED, which is going to have a short shelf life as it is replaced by 4K OLED. Don't you have the 75" Samsung as well? That should definitely hold you over for awhile until things become clearer.

#379 ·
I agree. I would wait. Go cheap if need be on something to bridge the gap until "the one" arrives. Btw the entry level 75" Samsung 6300 is only around $2800 these days. It won't compare to the 8000 but at well under half the price probably not a horrible way to spend the next 6-12 months waiting this out.

#380 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/360#post_23733663

Do I go for the Panasonic, Sony with its media player or wait 8 months for the larger 4k screens to arrive from LG and perhaps, sony, Samsung, and Panasonic......Need some help guys!

Why not just get another one? You can't judge an entire model on a single bad unit. If I recall, you were pretty happy with it up until you started having issues.

#381 ·

Quote:

MERKEY99, I'm sure as the rest of us here are, you'll make the right decision. We have all live precariously though you with the UN65F9000, lucky guy!

My two cents, you have a wonderful UN75F8000. Don't know where that is in the house, but if it's in a place where the family can all watch it (versus your bedroom) then that should hold you over till the next big thing you really want comes out. If I were in your shoes I'd go bigger on the next set, as long as it looked better than the UN75F8000. You know as do the rest of us, immersion is a big thing (ah joke there).

#382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/360#post_23734726

MERKEY99, I'm sure as the rest of us here are, you'll make the right decision. We have all live precariously though you with the UN75F9000, lucky guy!

My two cents, you have a wonderful UN75F8000. Don't know where that is in the house, but if it's in a place where the family can all watch it (versus your bedroom) then that should hold you over till the next big thing you really want comes out. If I were in your shoes I'd go bigger on the next set, as long as it looked better than the UN75F8000. You know as do the rest of us, immersion is a big thing (ah joke there).

I'm gong to enjoy my UN75F8000 until the time comes to replace it with an 80+ inch UHD OLED...hopefully priced under $4k

#383 ·
I am so torn. I know the whole 4k scene will be changing shortly with HDMI 2.0 coming out and being the first generation units, there are bound to be issues, however it doesnt change my wants. Working at an electronics retailer I was given a ridiculous price, for a 65" Samsung 4k tv but Im not sure if its the right decision. I dont like buying tv's frequently and changing them all the time so if I were to purchase a unit now, it wouldnt be to hold me over for 6-12 months, it would be more permanent. For this reason I want to get the best, but at the same time I dont want to purchase something that is just a cool product and doesnt offer any other benefits. So torn.

#384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petden  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/360#post_23735756

I am so torn. I know the whole 4k scene will be changing shortly with HDMI 2.0 coming out and being the first generation units, there are bound to be issues, however it doesnt change my wants. Working at an electronics retailer I was given a ridiculous price, for a 65" Samsung 4k tv but Im not sure if its the right decision. I dont like buying tv's frequently and changing them all the time so if I were to purchase a unit now, it wouldnt be to hold me over for 6-12 months, it would be more permanent. For this reason I want to get the best, but at the same time I dont want to purchase something that is just a cool product and doesnt offer any other benefits. So torn.
I think for 4K you'd be better off waiting for something bigger than 65" also, above which is where 4K will truly 'shine'.

At 65" and below, I don't know that the difference would be great enough to justify the price...

#386 ·
I dont think I can get much larger than 65". The TV will be on a 3 in 1 stand and I have two speakers beside the tv. There is roughly 60 inches of width between the two towers. Moving the towers over means that they would overhang into the kitchen area which wouldnt fly haha. The other option is to move the TV to the longer wall, however that means we will be sitting much further away from the Tv probably like 14-16' away. Right now im barely 8' away. I used to have a 56" TV and it looked quite large at that distance I think 65 would be the biggest for now.

#387 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/360#post_23734716

Why not just get another one? You can't judge an entire model on a single bad unit. If I recall, you were pretty happy with it up until you started having issues.

This is very true, but it is not just one unit....Both sets I have purchased from Samsung have been defective. So I was thinking of stepping out of the Samsung box and trying another company. I will have to see how bad the lust is next month and also see what units become available next month to really make a decision. As of now I am thinking of either waiting 6 months for LG's bigger screens or getting the Sony next month because of the media player. Panasonic has been a huge part of my collection in the recent past as before all of these LED's I only had panny plasmas. However I don't find the Panny LED TV's very impressive but that might change with their 4K sets.....only time will tell:D

#388 ·
@bekind - your response is valid if the person already has a set in home. In such cases the choice between waiting or pulling the trigger is mitigated pretty much entirely by the fact that they have a way to watch in the interim regardless.

I was answering a different question (in my mind) which was assuming that some solution needed to be found more or less immediately, that there was concern owed to what was coming down the pike in the 6-12 month timeframe, and no set was currently in place to bridge the gap. Especially in such cases, sets that occupy the sweet spot in the price/performance curve are the perfect solution IMO. Also as it happens, sets that occupy the sweet spot on the price/performance curve are often the best solution regardless, which is why I suggest them frequently. If you don't like my posts I'm sure there is an ignore button around here somewhere

#389 ·
Obviously bekind, he has the 75" in another room, and the 4K Sony in his self described man cave so you'll find that my reading comprehension is pretty solid. That and my graduate school degrees attest to this quite well I should think. He's asking what he ought to do for the man cave and I offered a suggestion (a perfectly reasonable one too). If you don't like it, or if he doesn't, then either of you are more than free to use the ignore button. In the meantime I shall post what I like, where I like. I pay to use this forum. Do you?

#390 ·
I know this is not the Lg thread but can anyone elaborate on this how ca this be our perfect tv, I am sure Samsung, Sony will also suffer from this

Does OLED experience "burn-in" when an image is left on the screen too long?

OLED is susceptible to burn-in. If a static image remains on the screen repeatedly or often or for a long uninterrupted stretch of time, you run the risk of degrading the phosphors from overuse in certain portions of the screen. This will leave an after-image or "ghost" on the screen. This burn-in is permanent and cannot be fixed. You can however minimize the chance of burn-in by avoiding those TV broadcasts and videogames with constant logos or text displayed. Also, if you tend to pause Blu-rays when watching, see if your player offers a screensaver mode.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/oled/whats-oledtv.jsp?s_kwcid=TC|13078|lg%20%2Boled||S|b|30049930907&gclid=CO6l6LaWx7kCFUJlMgodMQYAxw

#391 ·
I am sure you can break in the sets like plasmas and bring the risk way down but we wont know until OLED becomes more widely used. I personally would rather have a 4k set than a OLED at the moment. But once OLED comes with 4k then the game may change for me,,,,but that wont be for a couple years I would think.

#394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/390#post_23744359

anthonymoody I suggest you read more carefully before replying to posts. You're shooting yourself in the foot again. You make stuff up as you go along.

"he has the 75" in another room, and the 4K Sony in his self described man cave so you'll find that my reading comprehension is pretty solid"

Not so. Show us here where he said he has the 4K Sony in his self described man cave. Again, here I am correcting what nonsense you put out.

Anyway, this is getting old. You keep posting nonsense, and pitching...buy the same tv I have on every thread on this AVSforum.

Unlike you apparently I read multiple threads and am able to assimilate information from multiple places into a single cohesive whole. Look at other threads for additional information if you like. It is not my job to keep you informed and up to speed. But you'll be embarrassed if you take the time to do so. Nonsense indeed.

As it stands, my suggestion is valid and sensible. You and anyone else, Merkey included, are free to disagree. And you are also free to use the ignore button.

Moreover, I have every right to post what I like, where I like, when I like (so long as I obey the forum T&C which, as a paying and extremely longstanding member here, I assure you I am quite familiar with) and you have zero right to counsel or direct otherwise.

That's a nice way of saying shut the **** up.

#395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/300#post_23678762

I own both the 75"f8000 and the 65"f9000. At first I was not overly impressed with the upconversion. But the more I watch both sets the more I am seeing the differences. I really thought the 75" immersed me more but when I go from tv to tv I am now happier with the f9000.

I thought id be spending most of my time in the living room with the 75"f8000 but find myself in my man cave with the f9000 more frequently.

I see a noticable difference now after having the sets for almost 1 month and am glad I did splurge and get the f9000!

I also dont notice any difference with lag on the f9000 compared to the f8000.

Here, for the record, is the post wherein Merkey describes the 75" in the living room and the 4K in the man cave. I wrote Sony in the prior post accidentally and so my mistake in that regard, though it doesn't seem like that was the nit you were picking in this case.

And obviously in the interim Merkey has experienced all sorts of issues with replacements, back ordered panels, new choices of sets, etc. But the general set up and arrangement of his sets has clearly been stated, and that was what I was commenting on.

#396 ·
Bekind: the one spouting nonsense and obfuscating is you, not me. The issue of whether his man cave 4K set is a Sony or Samsung was never, ever the point. Not once. Ever. At all. If you think otherwise then your reading comprehension and logic fails have reached epic proportions. The brand of said set had no bearing on the specific matter at hand.

The points were:

-what size and resolution set(s) he currently has

-what location(s) they are in

-the urgency, or lack thereof, to replace either set given the answers to the questions above and his goals long term

You fail to see the obvious, but then again reading your posts it's easy to see that you're incapable of logical leaps.

I will happily bow out from here and let you have the final word since I'm positive that in your petulance you will insist on doing so regardless and I choose not to waste my time with your nonsense any further. I would simply remind you that the Ignore button exists for a reason, that I am as entitled as anyone here to post what I like, where I like, when I like (probably moreso as a paying member) and that you can take a flying leap. Welcome to my ignore list. In 12 years of posting here at AVS the number of people sinking to that level is extremely small so in that regard you've achieved some exclusivity. Congratulations.

Best of luck to you Merkey in your quest! And thanks to you and others for buying on the leading edge as an early adopter. You are obviously helping everyone long term in so doing!

#398 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/390#post_23753641

Are you guys still at it?
Since I started working in retail part time,I learn not to trip off material things,just because something new comes out,i don't got to have it,living in peace with is more important,then material things.

#399 ·
Hey Guys,

Just noticed on the BB website that in due to the Sony XBR-65X850A coming out at 4999.98, BB dropped the price of the 65F9000 to 4999.99! Just checked Samsung website and they did the same as well with no end date in site so this reduction is permanent! Thanks Sony! Looks like I might be going to the 65F9000 from my 65F8000! The only thing that concerns me is that stupid connect box.

#401 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99  /t/1479650/samsung-4k-anticipation-thread-un55f9000-un65f9000-and-un85s9-discusion/390#post_23759746

The connect box is a hassle, the other thing that makes me want the Sony is the passive 3d on the x900. There are so many things to think about when choosing a new 4k set...hmmm which to go with?

If I had the room for the X900, I would have had it by now but those speakers take up so much room that I do not have,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.