Samsung 4K Anticipation Thread. UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Discusion - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 781 Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

I don't know where you live, consumers are very cheap,i only sold one 4k tv since it came out.

That isn't really an argument for giving them away. If your store isn't selling any of the TV's, getting a free X1 isn't going to solve the problem. Anybody that has the money to buy one of these TV's can afford the X1. What you're saying is probably just an indication that your store probably shouldn't have this TV on display. On a nationwide basis, they are selling pretty well, as are the X1's.

On a side note, stop selling out of your own pocket.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 781 Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

That isn't really an argument for giving them away. If your store isn't selling any of the TV's, getting a free X1 isn't going to solve the problem. Anybody that has the money to buy one of these TV's can afford the X1. What you're saying is probably just an indication that your store probably shouldn't have this TV on display. On a nationwide basis, they are selling pretty well, as are the X1's.

On a side note, stop selling out of your own pocket.
Whatever keep making your commission
post #93 of 781 Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I saw a 64" (?) Samsung 4K tv on display yesterday at Magnolia running a demo feed (a bunch of city shots at sunset and at night). In all honesty, the quality reminded me of the first time I saw HDTV on an old 34" Sony CRT. The Samsung absolutely blew me away and I cannot wait for 4K content to become more common (and for prices to come down a tad). Absolutely stunning set! For some reason I found the content to look much better than the Sony, although I realize the two are supposed to be pretty close in quality. For some reason the Samsung just looked much better - perhaps the differences in content?
post #94 of 781 Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
That's awesome I can't wait to see one as well.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #95 of 781 Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to put this ...

I was reading an advertisers-centric review of the 8000/8500 Smart Hubs, and this review claimed Samsung was going to sell ads/product placements on top of rendering content. It specifically mentioned various forms of superimposed screen crawlng. I was aghast, as I assumed their explicit contract with me, the buyer, was to render screen images faithfully.

In the context of the new sets coming out, has anyone heard any ideas along these lines? We can't disable the "Home Screen." What is in store for us (pun intended) next year?
post #96 of 781 Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whatever keep making your commission

?? I don't make commission. I was just poking a little. No need to get so serious.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #97 of 781 Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

?? I don't make commission. I was just poking a little. No need to get so serious.
No problem and I don't get commission neither,plus I don't work in design center I wish tho,just too far away I live plus traffic.
post #98 of 781 Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem and I don't get commission neither,plus I don't work in design center I wish tho,just too far away I live plus traffic.
post #99 of 781 Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 21
My question is...75f8000 or 65f90004k?

I am thinking of retyrning the 75f8000 to get the 4k65f9000. This will be my only tv purchase of this size for the future and I dont want to regret not getting 4k when I could have. But will it make a difference on a 65" set?
post #100 of 781 Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

I am thinking of retyrning the 75f8000 to get the 4k65f9000. This will be my only tv purchase of this size for the future and I dont want to regret not getting 4k when I could have. But will it make a difference on a 65" set?

Yeah, it'll make a difference on the 65" set, depending of course on seating distance. The nice thing about the F9000 is that it's "future-proof" to a certain extent. As far as I know, Samsung is the only company to have a concrete HDMI 2.0 upgrade plan. Sony is promising updates, but they will most likely involve making an appointment so a technician can replace the boards, as is the case with the new boards required for the FMP-X1. I like that the Samsung is user-upgradable. The OneConnect box and Evolution Kit are pretty neat.

Don't buy a 4K TV thinking that you'll reap all the benefits immediately. It's going to take time to get standards sorted out and even longer for content to begin appearing. However, if you're the kind of person who keeps a TV for a good chunk of time (4+ years), I think it's a no-brainer to go with 4K at this stage over a standard 1080p set. It's definitely a premium product right now, and you're paying quite a bit for those extra pixels, but it's worth it.
post #101 of 781 Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep what you have
post #102 of 781 Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:

Keep what you have

It's really personal preference. If you'll be unhappy with your decision when 4K really starts hitting the market next year, then buy a 4K set. If you're content with your current set, stick to that. You're the only one who knows how you're going to feel a few years down the line. Coming from someone with personal experience, having lived with 4K for more than a year now, it's incredible. Even without native 4K content, good upscaling can inject new life into your favorite movies. Even still, I'm constantly digging through by Blu-Ray collection to revisit moves that I haven't seen on my 4K projector yet. I wouldn't go back.
post #103 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

Keep the 75". Going down to a 65" will be a shock that most people couldn't live with. In addition, the 4k advantage will be limited by that size. My advice is to wait for a 75" 4k where you keep the size and 4k is more apparent.
post #104 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Well Brian you have a 4K Projector,i can understand you doing that,they already talking about dropping prices on 4K and OLED tv's,So to me You should wait,plus you know they going to make them bigger and full local dimming in the future.
post #105 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I hope this unit is better than Sony's 4K offering as seen at local Best Buy stores. The Sony 4K has awful Black Level and light bleed. What were they thinking. The Blacks are not solid and look to have a purplish tint, especially at off angle. A big disappointment.
post #106 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

I hope this unit is better than Sony's 4K offering as seen at local Best Buy stores. The Sony 4K has awful Black Level and light bleed. What were they thinking. The Blacks are not solid and look to have a purplish tint, especially at off angle. A big disappointment.
Definitely not worth the money,after ten feet from viewing and 4k it don't look like 4k that's downside of it unless you buy 84 inch
post #107 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Definitely not worth the money,after ten feet from viewing and 4k it don't look like 4k that's downside of it unless you buy 84 inch

I think 84" is too small for 4K. Im running a 115" 2.35:1 screen and I feel like that is too small for 1080p. Personally I'd buy a 4K projector (should be around 10-12K this year) if you really want 4K. Otherwise the Samsung 7100, 7500 or 8000 series is a good deal. I was thinking of buying the 9000, but I cant justify 4K on such a small screen.
post #108 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I disagree. Whether it is "worth the money" or not is a personal question. But there is a visible benefit when comparing these TV's to non-4k sets. Obviously, this is more apparent when viewing 4K content, but thinking you need 100 inches or more to benefit from this is off-base, IMO.

post #109 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm starting to understand why you guys aren't selling them. wink.gif

post #110 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree. Whether it is "worth the money" or not is a personal question. But there is a visible benefit when comparing these TV's to non-4k sets. Obviously, this is more apparent when viewing 4K content, but thinking you need 100 inches or more to benefit from this is off-base, IMO.

I can barely watch a 65" tv because it is so small. So personally for me a 65" 4K set does absolutely nothing. Just wanted to clarify that I didnt mean you wont notice the improvements of 4K using a 55"-84" screen size, but that the screen sizes being offered are too small for me to get immersed in the content.
post #111 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I can barely watch a 65" tv because it is so small. So personally for me a 65" 4K set does absolutely nothing. Just wanted to clarify that I didnt mean you wont notice the improvements of 4K using a 55"-84" screen size, but that the screen sizes being offered are too small for me to get immersed in the content.

I suppose if you're used to it. To most people, I would guess that 65" is rather large.

post #112 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suppose if you're used to it. To most people, I would guess that 65" is rather large.

I feel like 115" 2.35:1 is too small these days. Just waiting for CEDIA and the new Sony 4K projector announcement. I do love these tv's though and if you have $7,500 and 65" is big enough for you, then I would get it (to get this back on topic).
post #113 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm starting to understand why you guys aren't selling them. wink.gif
Here we go again,i only sell what they can afford,I guess you know 4k and OLED TV's dropping their prices,for the record Speakerphile im plasma man
post #114 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I guess you know 4k and OLED TV's dropping their prices...

In response specifically to the articles that have been posted, there appears to be a whole lot of market disruption going on. It's time to see how well each company mapped the pricing decline!

Quote:

...for the record Speakerphile im plasma man

As you should be.

post #115 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In response specifically to the articles that have been posted, there appears to be a whole lot of market disruption going on. It's time to see how well each company mapped the pricing decline!
As you should be.
I did see the 4K Samsung on a usb port it looked really good,it had better blacks then the Sony4k,so what you think?
post #116 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I did see the 4K Samsung on a usb port it looked really good,it had better blacks then the Sony4k,so what you think?

I will give you my honest opinion on the Samsung 4k,,,,, first off the Black, perhaps slightly better than the Sony is still not saying much. Take a closer look at the Samsung 4K TV... Samsung Removed a highly touted feature called Cinema Black from their 4K TV, I went through the menu because the letterbox bars were dark grey and not black. I could not find Cinema Black, which turns off the LEDs in the black portion of the letterbox bars. I feel these early 4K sets are a step backwards.. These 4K TV's only look good when in full screen with a colorful 4K demo running as that hides its true flaws (poor black level). Don't expect too much out of the evolution kit it as it cannot add hardware features, besides a processor and more ram which it should already have at that high price.. Anything else it adds will be software for a newer looking smart hub. Unless your loaded and have plenty of $$$$$$$$$ to blow on so-so performing 4K TV then go for it. When I look at these 4K TV's.... I just can't say OMG what a huge difference I have to have it, Not. I would wait several more years for the dust to settle and the prices to come down to real world, and not fantasy. smile.gif
post #117 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

I will give my honest opinion on the Samsung 4k,,,,, first off the Black, perhaps slightly better than the Sony is still not saying much. Take a closer look at the Samsung 4K TV... Samsung Removed Cinema Black from their 4K TV, I went through the menu because the letterbox bars were dark grey and not black. I could not find Cinema Black, which turns off the LEDs off in the black area of the letterbox bars. I feel these early 4K sets are a step backwards.. Don't expect too much out of the evolution kit it as it cannot add hardware features, besides a processor and more ram which it should already have at thatn$$$$.. Anything else it adds will be software for a newer looking smart hub. Unless your loaded and have plenty of $$$$$$$$$ to blow on so-so performing 4K TV then go for it. When I look at these 4K TV's.... I just can't say OMG what a huge difference I have to have it, Not. I would several more years until the dust settles and the prices come down to real world not fantasy. smile.gif
You are right because they both are edge-light local dimming,to me both TV's only worth 3 thousand dollars im talking about the 65 inch.
post #118 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The blacks appeared better to me, going off of memory. The Samsung was also crushing blacks out of the box, per usual. I preferred the overall picture on the Sony though I think. I liked the slightly softer image on the Sony vs the extreme harshness on the Samsung. I wasn't able to mess around with the settings that much, so I'm sure some of this would be addressable.

post #119 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The blacks appeared better to me, going off of memory. The Samsung was also crushing blacks out of the box, per usual. I preferred the overall picture on the Sony though I think. I liked the slightly softer image on the Sony vs the extreme harshness on the Samsung. I wasn't able to mess around with the settings that much, so I'm sure some of this would be addressable.
I have not mess settings either one of them,i be glad when come out with true 4k movies from bluray and 4k Plasma TV's.
post #120 of 781 Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not mess settings either one of them,i be glad when come out with true 4k movies from bluray and 4k Plasma TV's.

I can tell you that 4K plasma is pretty unlikely. I haven't heard a single TV manufacturer talk about it yet. A 4K disc would be nice, but the 4K downloads aren't that bad.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un55f9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page