Samsung Smart TV and Digital Audio Out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a new Samsung 50" 6400 Series Smart TV. It's hooked up to a Yamaha RX-A820 A/V receiver via HDMI from a High Definition digital cable box. When watching and listening to the TV through the Yamaha receiver, all I can get is PCM sound no Dolby Digital, DTS or any other high quality sound. In the Samsung TV menu for Digital Audio Out, the option for Dolby Digital and DTS are grayed out so they are not available. It only gives me the option for PCM and a Neo2:5 sound. The only way I see to enable Dolby Digital is if I select the TV input which is not connected to my cable box therefore I can not get all of my digital Cable TV Channels such as HBO, etc.

I'm no stranger to Samsung TV's or Yamaha A/V receivers as both have been my go to brand for ages. With my older Samsung TV and Yamaha receiver I had no problem watching digital cable through the Yamaha receiver and getting Dolby Digital sound. What connection am I missing with the new Smart TV so that I can get Dolby Digital sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ace are you running the HDMI from your cable box to the tv or the 820? I run all of my sources into my 820 then have one HDMI feeding into HDMI #2 on my Samsung TV which is the ARC input for Samsung. I have been noticing a few handshake issues since doing a firmware update yesterday.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

RollTYide2011,

I'm running the cable from the cable box directly into the 820. Apparently I had a bad cable because when I switched to another HDMI cable I now have Dolby Digital. Thanks for the reply.

Also regarding the 820, I have the receiver set to HDMI pass through so that I can watch TV with the 820 off, news and other programs which really don't require surround sound.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If you are running the hdmi from the cable box, to the receiver, then to the tv, the tv's sound options do nothing, as the sound is hitting the receiver first. Therefore, you would need to look into the cable box or the receiver options to set Dolby, but most likely the cable box. And FYI, PCM is uncompressed sound, which is better than dolby (compressed). If you are seeing PCM 5.1, that is the best you can get, better than dolby 5.1. If you are only seeing PCM 2 channel, that is an issue with a setting somewhere.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

So you are running a toslink from the tv to the receiver? Is the digital output enabled on the tv? Are you on the right input on the receiver?
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Issue has been resolved. I did run an optical out cable from the TV to my A/V receiver.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 PM

I recently purchased a Samsung Smart TV (UN60F6300AFXZA) and hooked it up to a Sony receiver (STR DN1000). All devices (Uverse cable box, Blu Ray, etc.) are plugged into the Sony receiver and 1 HDMI cord connects the receiver to the TV. Sound works perfectly for cable TV, movies, etc.

However, I am having an issue getting sound from the TV to the receiver for the Smart TV functions. I have a standard red and white audio cable connected from the TV back to the Sony receiver but there is no sound. I re-checked the audio connections and tried every input on the Sony receiver but again there is no sound. Any suggestions? I would have preferred a fiber optic audio cable but none were readily available for the length required at the time of the installation. Hopefully that is not the reason why there is no sound. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

With some tv's you have to disable or mute the internal speakers for the audio output to work.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 18
I found out from Samsung that there are two versions of the UN60F6300AF HDTVS. The first one is in the last sentence and the second is called UN60F6300AFXZA. The second one is the more recent model, the one I purchased was made September 2013 about 1 week before my purchase.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM

The internal speakers are turned off. I have selected the external speakers option in the sound menu.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 PM

Similar question - have an ARC tv but non-ARC AVR. HDMi cables go from all components to AVR and then the one TV out from the AVR to the TV.

issue is getting audio for Smart TV functions to the AVR so it can be used in surround sound. Can I hook up an optical cable from the tv to the AVR and then select HDMI for the video portion of the cable and digital audio for the audio portion? Should I select that as a separate input on the AVR so that normal cable tv just uses the straight HDMI cable and audio from the cable box (not the optical)? Thx
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un50f6400 50 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page