Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 146 Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

I've never wall mounted and have a couple of questions about the monoprice mount recommended in post#3.

1) I'll mount the TV at eye level and want the mount not to move or tilt or swivel or rotate. I guess that is called "low-profile", can that monoprice mount be setup in that way? Or am I better off looking at something else?

2) As someone else asked before, the fact that it can extend out 20 inches, does that make the TV not be as close to the wall as it could be when not extended? I guess how does it hide the 20 inches when not extended.

Thanks

If your wiring setup is in place and you know you won't need to make adjustments, then get the low profile. I prefer my mount to have at least a few inches of space to work with in case I need to adjust any wiring or what not. Makes my life easier that's for sure. The difference between a low profile and an articulating one(folds into itself within the bracket) is about 4 inches in depth, give or take. When you find the mount you want, search for the dimensions. It will tell you how much depth you can work with. As cool as it is to have the tv hanging like a painting flush to the wall, however it is not. I chose a mount with a tilt up and down feature and I'm glad I did. Also, mind you, make sure there is circulation around the tv in order to keep a cooler temp. There is a gap between the wall and tv, but nobody will judge your set from the side. I'll take easy access over removing the set when I have to do something any day. Also here's s tip- keep a diagram of the rear ports on the tv , so you know where to go when the time comes. Caught a good deal for mines on amazon(can't remember how much, but it was like <$50). I can post a link if you'd like. And check youtube videos for wall mounts that you're planning to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Liked: 10
Hhh
post #93 of 146 Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eysikal View Post

Let's talk:

Just received my 60" last night. But now I'm realizing I don't know anything about Blu-ray players!

Anyone have any recommendations on bluray players that pair well with this TV? Specifically the 3d quality and Netflix, Hulu, etc functionality?

I went looking for a 3D Blu-Ray player after ordering this M501Di for black Friday. These three where my choices fir affordable but good player:

Samsung BD-F5900
Panasonic DMP-BDT230
Sony BDPS5100

Thay all had good reviews with excellent picture quality. The Panasonic had a SD card slot but also shows you ads in the menus, so passed on it. The Sony and the Samsung where each pick by different outfits as their top choice. I went with the Samsung because it was reviewed having very fast performance (load times, navigation, smart apps). The only Sony they had appeared to have been opened, at it reportedly had a flimsy DVD door/tray. The Samsunbg was also a bit less expensive then the others at $87.99 vs $99.99.

I also looked at the an LG model, but the reviews mentioned sluggish performance in terms of speed and some freezing issues, so I quickly eliminated it.

I have to say the Samsung is much faster than my previous BD player (Panasonic DMP-BD75) and so far I really like it.. As my Vizio has not arrived yet I haven't been able to test the 3D, but with everything I've read I'm sure it will work just fine.

Check out the reviews, you will be well served by any of the above mentioned.
post #94 of 146 Old 12-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503585/official-vizio-streaming-thread-mkvs-mp4s-etc

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #95 of 146 Old 12-09-2013, 07:50 PM

I'm the proud new owner of an M501.
The picture is stunning. Surprisingly, even a composite 480i source looks great.
Right now, my only issue is my Dish remote. I can program my Dish remote by scanning or manually entering codes. The best I have gotten so far is volume, on/off and mute and the same info that displays when you hit the guide button on the Vizio remote.
I cannot get the inputs to switch on the tv/video button on my Dish remote like my last TV (Sharp 45" Aquos) did.
I know my wife will be talking to me about this soon if I cannot "fix" it.
Does anybody know a 3 digit remote code that may work?
I'm afraid something may have to go because of this. It WILL NOT be the TV, but most likely the Dish remote/receiver.
post #96 of 146 Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT View Post

I'm the proud new owner of an M501.
The picture is stunning. Surprisingly, even a composite 480i source looks great.
Right now, my only issue is my Dish remote. I can program my Dish remote by scanning or manually entering codes. The best I have gotten so far is volume, on/off and mute and the same info that displays when you hit the guide button on the Vizio remote.
I cannot get the inputs to switch on the tv/video button on my Dish remote like my last TV (Sharp 45" Aquos) did.
I know my wife will be talking to me about this soon if I cannot "fix" it.
Does anybody know a 3 digit remote code that may work?
I'm afraid something may have to go because of this. It WILL NOT be the TV, but most likely the Dish remote/receiver.

The best I can tell you is, do yourself a favor and pick up a Harmony remote. If you give devices out less the less expensive 650 will do the trick nicely.

If you do a little looking around you can sometimes find a good deal on the Harmony 650 or even some of their higher end remotes.

Good luck either way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
GSfromCT likes this.
post #97 of 146 Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojasTKD View Post

The best I can tell you is, do yourself a favor and pick up a Harmony remote. If you give devices out less the less expensive 650 will do the trick nicely.

If you do a little looking around you can sometimes find a good deal on the Harmony 650 or even some of their higher end remotes.

Good luck either way.

Umm, well. That is definitely an option.
I'm just concerned about the tech education my wife will need to operate the Harmony remote.
She used the Vizio remote today. I got a lecture on "why is there two power buttons?" after the TV did not turn off when she pointed the remote at the TV and commanded it to turn off..
I mentioned the wifi update, but she didn't seem to care. She wanted the TV off NOW!!!!
Its only a matter of time before she tries to change inputs on the Dish remote "like she used to do".
post #98 of 146 Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck either way.

I'm just concerned about the tech education my wife will need to operate the Harmony remote.
She used the Vizio remote today. I got a lecture on "why is there two power buttons?" after the TV did not turn off when she pointed the remote at the TV and commanded it to turn off..
I mentioned the wifi update, but she didn't seem to care. She wanted the TV off NOW!!!!
Its only a matter of time before she tries to change inputs on the Dish remote "like she used to do".

That's beauty of the Harmony, you set up activities. You hit the "Watch TV" (Sat/cable or Anntenna) button and everything you need for that activity turns on and goes to the proper input.

There is one power button you hit it and everything turns off (TV, receiver, satellite/cable box... whatever).

If you watching TV and decide to watch a Blu-ray just hit the watch movie button and it turns on anything you need for that activity and off anything you don't need.

It knows what device to control for what you doing. Channel up/down will control you sat/cable box, volume up/down well control you AV receiver. It should actually make it simpler for her to do what she wants.

Once you set it up and you guys spend a little time with it, you will love it.

Just make sure you equipment it set to IR and not RF. I set a Harmony remote for a friend a few weeks back and had to turn his DirectTV receiver to IR from RF so it would control the DirectTV receiver. They really enjoy the one remote to control them all.

post #99 of 146 Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

That's beauty of the Harmony, you set up activities. You hit the "Watch TV" (Sat/cable or Anntenna) button and everything you need for that activity turns on and goes to the proper input.

There is one power button you hit it and everything turns off (TV, receiver, satellite/cable box... whatever).

If you watching TV and decide to watch a Blu-ray just hit the watch movie button and it turns on anything you need for that activity and off anything you don't need.

It knows what device to control for what you doing. Channel up/down will control you sat/cable box, volume up/down well control you AV receiver. It should actually make it simpler for her to do what she wants.

Just make sure you equipment it set to IR and not RF. I set a Harmony remote for a friend a few weeks back and had to turn his DirectTV receiver to IR from RF so it would control the DirectTV receiver. They really enjoy the one remote to control them all.

Agree. The Harmony remote will really make it easier. The only thing you need to get used to is waiting that few seconds for everything to respond to the command. And, if you have a wifi home network already and you get the Harmony Smart Control remote you don't even need to point it at the TV, and you don't need line of sight.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #100 of 146 Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

hmmm I got the Input button on my DirecTV remote to change inputs on the TV.
post #101 of 146 Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Is the harmony 650 still a decent choice? I've always wanted one and the 650 seems very affordable now. It seems it can do the activities stuff you guys are talking about. I want it mostly for my wife. He hates to use two or more remotes to turn on everything.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #102 of 146 Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is the harmony 650 still a decent choice? I've always wanted one and the 650 seems very affordable now. It seems it can do the activities stuff you guys are talking about. I want it mostly for my wife. He hates to use two or more remotes to turn on everything.

The Harmony 650 is a great remote, as long as you have five devices or less to control. The higher end harmony remotes will allow you to control more devices (up to 15), but for most people five should be enough.

In some ways the 650 is better than the higher end Harmony remotes. The 650 has more physical buttons and better button placement.

With a little searching you can find the discontinued Harmony 700 (my remote) that controls 6 devices for one additional if needed.

post #103 of 146 Old 12-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Liked: 11
Can anyone tell me how the holes line up on the back of the 55" model for wall brackets. Are they vertically and horizontally centered or do the hand a slight vertical bias?

From the pictures it looks like the holes are a bit higher than centered.

**trying to pre-install mounting bracket and want to make sure I hand it lined up properly.
post #104 of 146 Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

post #105 of 146 Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM

Just got my 55" installed and mounted. a bit concerned about the light bleed in the four corners. is this considered bad?

post #106 of 146 Old 12-21-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post

Just got my 55" installed and mounted. a bit concerned about the light bleed in the four corners. is this considered bad?

I would say that's very bad. Have you done any calibration/adjustment to it yet?

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #107 of 146 Old 12-21-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I would say that's very bad. Have you done any calibration/adjustment to it yet?

Been playing with it all day. Not sure if you have exact settings to try in game mode? I think it may need to go back?
post #108 of 146 Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post

How do you get that all black screen. I want to try that?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #109 of 146 Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

How do you get that all black screen. I want to try that?

Just put the xbox one on tv input with no signal
post #110 of 146 Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Hi all. Got my 65" M yesterday from Best Buy. So far I'm loving it! I was initially concerned with the very glossy screen of the 65" size but it hasn't been a problem while watching...though it hasn't been very sunny yet here in NJ (I have skylights in my living room which I can't block). Calibrated all my inputs (cable & Xbox One) using Cnet's settings, looks great but skin tones due appear to tend a bit reddish as cnet noted.

From reading this thread and the official thread, it appears I may be in the luckier percentage as my set show pretty much no light bleed, blurriness or cloudiness in the corners. And yes, you have to point the remote at the corner, but it's not nearly as bad as I had imagined based on the comments. My set came with 1.06 firmware, so it doesn't have the wifi direct remote yet:( Hopefully that comes soon as seem to be the consensus.

Thanks for all the tips and tricks so far!
post #111 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Played with the Smart Dimming setting last night, and it pretty much looks awful with it on. Blooming like crazy. With it off everything looks great. To see what I mean, switch to the YouTube app and watch the gray background behind the YT logo, or watch the spinning circle before the YT logo comes up. With Smart Dimming on the gray background looks very uneven with lots of bands running across. With it off the gray background looks perfectly uniform.

At least that's how it is on my M501d-A2R.
post #112 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 AM

I've never had any issues with all this clouding etc, on my 80". Either Vizio got it right on the 80" or is spending more money on their flagship model to reduce it.

josephpearson likes this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #113 of 146 Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM

I believe I will be purchasing either the 47' or 50' M series tv. I will be wall mounting it, and would like slim tilt wall mount. Any recommendations that you guys might be using or that is good? I don't mind something from monoprice, just not sure what fits.
post #114 of 146 Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Does anyone reading this thread happen to have the 70" as well as an XboxOne and Forza 5? I was testing out my new 70" last night, playing with settings and trying the recommended ones from the OP. When playing Forza 5 I noticed quite a bit of "jaggies" (I think is the proper term) along door frames and headlights, car roofs, etc in the scenes before and after races where it shows your car on the track and pans around it. Last week, I returned a Samsung 65" F8000 due to my wife not being able to handle the active 3D and we got this TV instead for it's passive abilities. I notices some of these issues on Forza 5 on the Samsung and when I turned down sharpness, they went away. Last night on the Vizio, sharpness seemed to do nothing particularly with these issues I'm seeing on the car models. Has anyone else noticed these and have you found a way to make them go away?
post #115 of 146 Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Disclaimer - I haven't played Forza 5 on my M701. It's really up to the console to do proper anti-aliasing though. If you have your sharpness cranked way up it may make the problem worse. On the Vizio, Sharpness at 0 is normal (image untouched). Anything higher than that is only adding edge enhancement to the picture. The sharpness control only adds not subtracts (for better or worse).

Maybe the Samsung's sharpness control actually blurred the image at lower settings? I've never known a TV to do that but anything's possible. You may want to try playing with Smooth Motion on the Vizio. Alternately, if you use the Game preset, even with Smooth Motion on, motion interpolation will be off so you'll be left with an increased frame rate only. May help, or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1tch View Post

Does anyone reading this thread happen to have the 70" as well as an XboxOne and Forza 5? I was testing out my new 70" last night, playing with settings and trying the recommended ones from the OP. When playing Forza 5 I noticed quite a bit of "jaggies" (I think is the proper term) along door frames and headlights, car roofs, etc in the scenes before and after races where it shows your car on the track and pans around it. Last week, I returned a Samsung 65" F8000 due to my wife not being able to handle the active 3D and we got this TV instead for it's passive abilities. I notices some of these issues on Forza 5 on the Samsung and when I turned down sharpness, they went away. Last night on the Vizio, sharpness seemed to do nothing particularly with these issues I'm seeing on the car models. Has anyone else noticed these and have you found a way to make them go away?

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: There's always one more bug.
post #116 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 11:47 AM

I just bought the 47" m471i. I have had it for about a week now and have been adjusting the settings like crazy. I'm running into the screen being too dark. While watching either hd tv or even bluray disks, the screen is dark. I have followed Cnets calibration advice as well as some other peoples suggestions. The picture is perfect, the color does lean towards the red side, but the picture is just dark. The backlight is set to 100 and my brightness is 85. Any higher on the brightness the picture washes out (if that makes sense). The rooms not bright, and even at night in the darkness, the screen is so dark you cannot see any details if it's in a shadow or if it's black in color. Any suggestions? The wife says it is being returned if I cannot figure this out!
post #117 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmega55 View Post

I just bought the 47" m471i. I have had it for about a week now and have been adjusting the settings like crazy. I'm running into the screen being too dark. While watching either hd tv or even bluray disks, the screen is dark. I have followed Cnets calibration advice as well as some other peoples suggestions. The picture is perfect, the color does lean towards the red side, but the picture is just dark. The backlight is set to 100 and my brightness is 85. Any higher on the brightness the picture washes out (if that makes sense). The rooms not bright, and even at night in the darkness, the screen is so dark you cannot see any details if it's in a shadow or if it's black in color. Any suggestions? The wife says it is being returned if I cannot figure this out!

reset to factory defaults, and then switch to the "Vivid" picture setting. If it's still dark then return it and get a new one.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #118 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:

reset to factory defaults, and then switch to the "Vivid" picture setting. If it's still dark then return it and get a new one.

Ok, looks like I'm going to return it then. Vivid isn't as bright as the settings I had modified and am watching now.
post #119 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Vivid - yikes, that's like a fog light on my M701d-a3. Even the calibrated settings are far too bright. I turned the back light down to 37 and turned on auto brightness (medium) and smart dimming which dramatically reduces the light bleed on things like white text credits running on a black screen at the end of movies. Before doing this it was rather annoying but now I'm happy with the TV and will accept its limitations in certain areas for its performance in others. There's always a trade off.
post #120 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 AM

So after resetting my picture to vivid, which it was still dark, I'm now getting an intermittent black screen with a box stating not supported. It's doing this to both my cable and bluray hdmi ports. Looks like my tv just has issues and is going back. eek.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio 50 Inch Ambient Light Sensor Smart Lcd Hdtv E502ar , Vizio 55 Inch Vf550m Full Hd Lcd Hdtv , Vizio 65 Inch Led 3d Hdtv M3d650sv
Gear in this thread