Official Vizio "M-Series" Razor Owners Survival Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 139 Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58

I'm a "happy-as-a-kid-on-Christmas-morning" new owner of a Vizio 70" M-Series LCD television.

As a spinoff to the 80+ page "official main discussion thread", I decided to start this thread to focus on the topic of resources (hardware and software) for M-Series owners.

Disclaimer: I'm the self-appointed curator of the thread, but not the expert by any means. I'm seeking to collect the best tips and suggestions from informed users so that Vizio newbies (like me) can benefit from the wisdom of those who have gone before ;)

In particular, for the discussion of:

• Remotes & Remote Codes (Including discussion of the Wifi update for the factory remote as well as Harmony and 3rd party remote codes and my nifty unlock method to transform the vizio remote from trash to treasure)
  • 3D Glasses (3rd party options, where to purchase spares, use of used theater glasses, etc)
  • Mounts (discussion of mounting options for hanging the TV as well as pics of your mounted TV and hardware used)
  • Tips and Tricks (discrete codes, where to find 3D source material, etc)

To keep the thread on topic, its not intended for discussion of anything that would be more suited to the main thread including picture quality issues, flashlighting, blooming, local dimming, calibration settings, etc...

IMPORTANT: This thread is heavy on pics and step by step "How to" type posts. Please take care when quoting others NOT to include their entire post in your quoted reply. Just delete everything except the specific text you are referring to. Quoting whole blocks of posts and images is not necessary and causes pages to take longer to download (especially on mobile).

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Useful Links for Newly Minted Vizio Razor Owners:

1. User Manual for 50", 55" and 65" TVs
    http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M551dA2/UM_M551dA2.pdf

2. User Manual for 60", 70" and 80" TVs
    http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M701dA3/UM_M701dA3.pdf

3. Where to find Free 3D Content on YouTube
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/find-watch-youtube-3d-content/

4. Monoprice.com Mounting Kits
    http:/ /www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828

5. Next Generation Remote Control Extender**
    http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA

6. Amazon Prime Streaming
    http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sa_menu_aiv_piv?ie=UTF8&node=2676882011

7. 3DGo Registration Form
    https://secure.3dgo.com/sensio/secure/registerform

8. Owner Calibration Settings Spreadsheet
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anonwz1K2rCKdHp3RG83WE5hcHhHVDJhcDQzYTRLUXc#gid=1

9. "Not just a pretty face" - The Cnet.Com Review of the 55" M-Series
    http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m501d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781439.html

10. Reference Color settings for 50-80" TVs***
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2400#post_23509574

11. Setting up ARC (Audio Return Channel) for Surround Sound Digital Audio on Vizio Apps and Over the Air Television Channels
    http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480388/official-vizio-m-series-razor-owners-survival-thread/30#post_23524070

** I've used the next generation remote control extender since 2007. Its essential for those of us who have our devices in a media cabinet or closet where IR remotes can't easily reach. See my post below if you are interested in learning more about this device.

*** Check that post to find settings for your size/class TV. 50", 55" and 65" share the same color setting options. 60", 70" and 80" have a slightly different index

Draven451 likes this.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #3 of 139 Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mounting Options

The Vizio owner's manual leaves us pretty much in the dark in terms of mounting this beast.

For example, the pic below is the only illustration provided:

As you can see in that pic, there is only one mounting configuration supported. I originally thought, based on the appearance of several vertically aligned holes on the back of the set, that there were additional mounting layouts. However, after closer inspection, this does not appear to be the case.

Important: The screws that are pre-installed in the mounting holes are not intended to be used for mounting. They are much too short! If you are replacing an older on-wall TV and reusing an existing mount, it may be tempting to use the Vizio screws. Especially if you are like me and you no longer have the extra sized bolts and screws that came with your mount. You'll need 6mm diameter x 16-17mm length screw/bolts. You can pick these up from any hardware store. Get some washers just in case you need them.

Why? the pre-inserted screw bolts that come with the TV are very short. The measured depth of the mounting holes is appx 5/8" (17mm). However, the screw bolts, after allowing for the washer, are only 10mm long (a little over 3/8").

Once you consider the depth of the mounting bracket, you only have about a 1/4" bite per mounting point. That's not enough for my comfort level. So, I'm off to the hardware store to find a 17mm long (M6) screw/bolt to replace them.

The mounting rig I'd recommend for 60-80 inch Vizio TVs is below. Its capable of supporting up to 175 pounds and is able to extend out 20 inches so that you can access the back of the TV when needed. I purchased the original version of this mount over 6 years ago and can personally attest to its quality and strength (my children play under the TV, so I don't play when it comes to TV mounts). You can get this rig at Monoprice.com (the price will surprise you in a good way)

Above: Monoprice #8587 (replaced older model #3725)

Although that one is pretty darned inexpensive for such a sturdy and versatile mount, if you are on a really tight budget, here's one that's very similar for even less cash:

I can personally attest to the quality of monoprice mounts. The one in the top pic above (I have an earlier model that's essentially identical to it) has held my 65 pound Samsung LNT-5265 (A beast of a TV by today's 55" and less standards) onto the wall above our mantel with zero issues for 6 years! And I've twisted and turned it on many occasion during that time.

EscapeVelocity likes this.

post #4 of 139 Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Next Generation Remote Control Extender

For taming the finicky Vizio remote. No more pointing at the bottom left corner of the screen!

Update: I recently purchased a "Harmony Smart Control" system and despite my praise below, its head and shoulders better.

I discovered this handy little device back in 2007 when I decided to mount my first flat screen tv to the wall above our fireplace mantle.

Since my wife didn't care for having our set top boxes stacked out in the open in our den (Directv, PS3, AV Receiver, XBox, etc) I set out to see if I could locate them in a bedroom closet on the other side of the wall where the TV would be hung.

The key to making this work (in addition to some very long cables), turned out to be this tiny little device I picked up from Amazon called the "Next Generation Remote Control Extender".

What this ingenious little device does is it magically converts any battery operated infrared remote into an RF remote capable of blasting its signal through walls from a considerable distance away (without having to point the remote in any particular direction).

The way it does this is rather clever and amazingly simple. You simply replace one of your remote control's batteries (can be AA or AAA) with the "magic" battery that comes in the kit which is half battery (rechargeable) and have RF transmitter.

If you want to hear more about it or have questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I'm pretty passionate about what this device is capable of doing and at such a low price.

But the most important question for us new Vizio M-Series owners is...

How can it tame the finicky Vizio remote?

Here's how: The package contains a set of IR emitters that you can see as the purple bulb looking thingie in the pic I posted above. There are 3 of these emitters included in the package you get when you purchase this device. Each of them has a clear layer of sticky gummy gel on the back so that you can affix them over your device's IR ports (affix one emitter to each device - you can buy extra emmiters for cheap if you need more than 3).

The magic that happens when you press buttons on your Vizio remote: When the base station (The little UFO looking device in the pic above) receives the RF signal from the newly inserted "magic" battery inside your remote, it electronically converts that signal from RF to IR and sends it to each of the emitters on the front of your devices, effectively controlling and aiming your input to the device with pinpoint accuracy.

After placing one of these tiny little emitters over the IR port on the front of the Vizio (found at the bottom left corner of the set - as we all know well by now), and routing the tiny little wire and UFO looking base station its attached to out of sight behind the TV or inside your media cabinet or closet, you can effectively increase the range of the Vizio remote (or any remote for that matter) by a factor of 3 and the accuracy to 100%. No more pointing at the bottom left corner of the screen!

You can even control the Vizio TV (including the internet apps) from another room if you choose, without ever pointing the remote at the screen once. I can control my AV stereo unit and Apple TV device from my deck (and the AV unit is in a room closet at the opposite end of the house)

The Tophinator and Draven451 like this.

post #5 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another option for the IR repeater is a hard wired one. All my components are in a nice cabinet below the TV. It has active fans in the back but to keep the front clean the only thing visible is the small IR receiver that sits at the top center of the cabinet. It has a blue LED to confirm it is receiving the signal.

I have been using an IR repeater for about 5 years and it works flawlessly. With the odd placement of the IR receiver on the M701 I was going to order an additional emitter. I needed a couple so it was actually cheaper to order another whole unit than individual emitters.
post #6 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Topinator, thanks for sharing your IR repeater setup. A couple of questions...

Does this repeater require IR line of sight or does it convert to RF? I think I know the answer, just want to clarify any differences between the various available options.

What's the name of the repeater in case someone wants to research it for purchase?

post #7 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 AM

Liked: 18
Thanks for the YouTube Link
vestaviascott likes this.

My Equipment: 55" Vizio Razor M-Series | Yamaha RX-V473 | Klipsch F3- Floorstands | Klipsch C-2 Center | Klipsch S-10 Surrounds | Playstation 3 | Uverse DVR Motorola VIP-1225 | Apple TV | Harmony Touch
post #8 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 AM

Liked: 24
Great idea for a new thread!
post #9 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post

Great idea for a new thread!

Thanks! I hope you find something of use. Please feel free to share any tips or tricks (or questions) that you have about the set. And if something here helps you out, feel free to share that too :)

post #10 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM

I posted some of this info on the other thread so I thought it may be helpful for other owners over here. I will add more detail on this post smile.gif

3D Glasses Information -

The included 3D glasses that I believe comes for free with our sets is this model number from Vzio's website - Model# xpg404 (four glasses)

Here is a picture of the 3D glasses:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Technical Specifications:

SPECIFICATIONS
Adult Glasses – Bridge Width: 0.67” (17.1 mm)
Adult Glasses – Earpiece Length: 6.10” (155 mm)
Kids Glasses – Bridge Width: 0.6” (16 mm)
Kids Glasses – Earpiece length: 5.5” (140 mm)
3D Type: Passive circular polarized
Standard: RealD standard compatible
Frame Type: Flat lens with folding frame
Polarizer Efficiency: 99.9+%
Battery Type: n/a – not battery operated
Package Contents: 2 pairs of adult size Theater 3D™ glasses
2 pairs of child size Theater 3D™ glasses
Certifications: n/a

Dimensions and Weight (Single Unit)
Product Dimensions: (Adult Glasses) 6.1"W x 1.8"H x 6.5"D
Product Weight: 0.53oz
Product Dimensions: (Child Glasses) 5.47"W x 1.6"H x 5.9"D
Product Weight: 0.49oz
Packaging Dimensions: 7.9"W x 8.25"H x 1.3"D
Packaging Weight: 5.4oz

The lowdown on these glasses:

While these glasses work very well and this being my first 3D television and nothing else to compare them to I felt they worked fine. They are very lightweight and feel comfortable. I could wear them through an entire movie with no issues. The frame is straight and keeps the lenses in a good position on your face. They have a matte finish which does not show finger prints. For free glasses I did not expect much and for most viewing these will work fine.

What I did not like about these glasses:

The lenses are a very thin plastic that flexes when you try to clean them. They don't inspire confidence that they will last very long in my opinion. I can imagine one of the kids poking through these lenses at some point and requiring a replacement. While this may not be a concern for some the cheaper feeling materials may want you to look for alternatives.

Other Vizio 3D glasses options:

Since we need more than four 3D glasses in our home I recently decided to search for other options. I noticed from checking the Vizio website they offer another option - Model# xpg202 (two glasses)

Here is what they look like:

SPECIFICATIONS
Glasses - Bridge Width: .52"
Glasses - Lens Width: 2.44"
Glasses - Ear Piece Length: 5.92"
Frame Type: Curve lens with folding frame
Polarizer efficiency: 99.9+%

I decided to see if I could find this model or one that included four glasses as it would best fit my needs. If you search on Amazon or Ebay you can find them listed as xpg204 (four glasses). I purchased from an Ebay seller and they came very quickly. The four 3D glasses were in a clear clamshell plastic package and look like this:

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTY1YTAyOTIwNTEyNGVmYmU5NmJhYTA1MTM2NjgzOWQ2OTJmfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1nYWxhY3RpY3RyYWRlaHVifHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT03LzMvMTMgNzoxOCBQTQ==

The lenses on these 3D glasses are a harder more rigid plastic similar to what you will find in sunglass lenses. WOHOO! I feel these lenses will hold up better over time and feel much more durable than the free version. The frame has a slight curve so it wraps around your face a little better. I haven't tested enough to see if the wrapping effect improves the 3D image but I will say since I purchased this pair I have not used the free glasses. Also the temples (stems) have more of a curve to hug around your face but may apply just the slightest bit more pressure than the free glasses. The temples are also slightly thicker. It may be just my eyes or my wallet speaking but I feel there is a slight improvement in contrast with these glasses. It could be because of the type of plastic they are using in these glasses. These glasses have a glossy finish so they show finger prints. The glasses all came with a microfiber pouch (similar to the ones that come with Oakley Sunglasses) and feel like good quality with a Vizio tag in red sewn on the outside.

In my opinion these glasses just feel like they are the better made product.
post #11 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs Up! Thanks for the info Draven. That's exactly what I was looking for.

post #12 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

Thumbs Up! Thanks for the info Draven. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm glad I can contribute in a small way smile.gif
post #13 of 139 Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does this repeater require IR line of sight or does it convert to RF? I think I know the answer, just want to clarify any differences between the various available options.

The IR receiver needs to be line of sight. It is on the top center of the cabinet just below the TV so it is in the natural position to point your remote at. The signal goes to a small powered box that has 6 outputs. Each output can have single, double or triple emitters that you stick on your components IR receiver.

What's the name of the repeater in case someone wants to research it for purchase?

BAFX Products - IR Repeater is the one I just ordered, Acoustic Research is the brand I currently own. My orders came in a smiley box.

Edit: in my case, even with the Harmony One remote the TV keeps missing commands. By sticking another emitter over the TV's receiver then running the cable behind the TV and to the repeater box I will just have to point my remote toward the center of the TV area as usual.
post #14 of 139 Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up! Thanks for the info!

post #15 of 139 Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Some additional options for 3D glasses:

1. Polaroid 3D RealD certified glasses - Amazon Link

2. http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm#Real

post #16 of 139 Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Nice set of Vizio/RealD compatible glasses from Gunnar

Linky: Amazon

• Glarefree Highly-efficient circular polarized lenses. No squinting, no staring, just perfect vision.
  • Polaroid's premium 3D glasses are made with Thermofusion technology for distortion-free vision.
  • The frames and specially formed lenses create an extended field of vision.
  • High quality lightweight frames designed for extended wear.
  • Lenses provide vull UV protection and so can be safely worn outdoors. Nevertheless we do not recommend these 3D glasses for extended outdoor usage.

post #17 of 139 Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Video Demos of Remote Control Extenders (for converting the Vizio remote into an RF remote)

Until we get WiFi capabilities on the Vizio remote, this option is the best we have. It works extremely well and may even eclipse the WiFi option (if and when enabled)

post #18 of 139 Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

A really nice looking set of wrap around 3D glasses that are Vizio/RealD compatible.

I like these due to the wrap around lenses. Unlike the standard glasses that come with the set (and most 3rd party replacements), you get a more immersive experience with these due to the full field of view the wrap around lens affords.

They are being sold at Frys.com and Amazon.com as "Visual World Vantage" 3D glasses.

post #19 of 139 Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 11
This is an excellent idea for a thread! Many thanks to everyone for providing me with good reading material!
I can't wait until I buy this TV soon, and hopefully can start to contribute as well!

biggrin.gif
post #20 of 139 Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. Which size are you going for? Will it be mounted or placed on its stand? What will it be replacing?

post #21 of 139 Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 11
I will most likely be purchasing a 60", but could move down/up to a 55/65 depending on what I like when I walk in to Costco.
I am up in Toronto, Canada. This model is not sold here, but I've heard rumours that it is coming to Costco.

I visit the US very often, if the TV does not hit the shelves by mid July, I am just bringing it back with me when I come back to Canada.
I plan to purchase it from Costco, and test it out wherever I am staying to make sure everything is fine.

It will be replacing an old 53" rear projection, I have determined that with my viewing distance (9ft), either of these sizes will work, with 60" being ideal.

I will mostly use it for TV shows (50%), video games (15%), movies (30%), and occasionally using it as a desktop monitor (5% - mainly for youtube videos and browsing pictures)
Usage will be ~ 1 hour per day in the summer, and 2 hours per day in the winter.

I am a huge fan of the design and look of the TV, as well as the awesome bang-for-your-buck.
I definitely enjoy tinkering with electronics, and will most likely use most, if not all, of the features.
post #22 of 139 Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck with your purchase Dave. My previous TV size (52") and viewing distance (9-10 ft) is very similar to yours. I got the 70" Vizio and I could not be more happy with the decision. This size is perfect for this seating distance. I'd say it's definitely in the "sweet" spot. I'd suggest that you give strong consideration to going bigger rather than smaller. The immersion effect of a larger set cannot be discounted. Its pretty phenomenal and at times jaw dropping.

post #23 of 139 Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Update: Just updated the Calibration Settings Reference to point to the combined post that contains all reference calibration settings for 50-80 inch TVs:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2400#post_23509574

Note: As a shortcut, the above link can also be referenced with:

http://bitly.com/mrazor

post #24 of 139 Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM

I personally like having my TV's sitting on a nice piece of furniture as opposed to hanging from a wall mount. This has worked best for me and keeps my line of sight centered at the middle of the television without having to crane my neck up at an uncomfortable angle while enjoying a tv show or a movie.

When I decided to move up from a 50" inch Samsung DLP I knew the entertainment center I was using would be too small to fit the Vizio's 70" large screen.

In my quest to find an entertainment center I had some criteria I wanted to fill:

1) A nice solid piece of furniture (contemporary styling to match the Vizio) and also MUST be WAF approved! tongue.gif
I also did not want the cheaply made stuff you generally find at the big box stores all though some of the more expensive models are nice.

2) Of course the entertainment center had to be large enough to fit the 70" screen! I don't like it when the television "hangs" over the edges of the entertainment center as it looks like it doesn't fit properly. I have a small living room so finding an entertainment center that is wide enough to fit the screen but also has a small enough footprint to fit comfortably in my living room was also just as important. I have two front channel tower speakers (Left and Right) on either side of the entertainment center plus a large subwoofer on the right side of the Right Front Channel Speaker. The speakers/subwoofer add to the overall width and needed to be accounted for. There is also a small loveseat sofa that is on a perpendicular wall very close to where the new entertainment center will be.

3) Since I would be using my existing 5.1 surround sound system I wanted to find an entertainment system that had a large enough shelf to fit my center channel speaker. I thought this would be tough considering the dimensions of the center - 21.9" x 9.8" x 8.5" at 19 pounds (L x D x H) . The center channel use to rest on a mount on top of the Samsung DLP that had a shelf where the speaker would sit and it had legs that would drop down with little feet that rested on the back slant of the television for support.

This was a difficult challenge indeed!

After visiting all of the usual suspects - BB, Walmart, Target, Conn's, Costco etc. I found the entertainment center that fit everything that I was looking for!

I purchased this entertainment center from Conn's -

http://www.bello.com/index.php?partition=show_product&categ_id=39&prod_id=367&tab=2

Here is a brief description from Bello's website:

Espresso Finish Audio/Video Furniture System
Attractive and sturdy, this contemporary design with a hanging shelf is constructed of scratch resistant, High Gloss Black powder-coated metal and Black tempered safety glass accented with beautiful Espresso finished sides and back. It will accommodate most Flat Panel TVs up to 65" or 125 lbs., plus at least five audio/video components and a center channel speaker. There is an integrated CMS® Cable Management System to hide wires and interconnect cables.

Bell'O products contain real wood and wood solids. Visual differences in grain and color tone should be expected due to natural stain absorption and room lighting conditions. Products viewed on a computer monitor may also vary in appearance

Here is a picture with the Bello entertainment center setup:
Sorry for the Samsung television in this picture. I found this online smile.gif

Here is a picture with dimensions:

The lowdown on the Bello AVSC2155:

In my opinion this is a beautiful piece of furniture that will fit with most decor! Bello used some quality parts and finishes which comes through in the form, function and aesthetic of this entertainment center. From the description on their website their products contain real wood and wood solids and I believe them. There is no cheap particle board in this product! The tempered glass is solid and is well cut and has some weight to it. In fact the whole assembled product exudes quality and feels very substantial.

Even though I had taken many measurements I was still concerned that it would not fit into the living room space or it may "look" to wide. After getting everything setup I think it compliments the living room and furniture and looks great!

The Vizio M701d-A3 70" is 61.96” wide. The Bello comes in at 60" wide. To my eyes having the television centered on the top it looks like Vizio is flush to the edges of the Bello for a perfect fit! smile.gif

My center channel also fit like a glove in the hanging shelf like it was designed for my speaker!

The only downside is there is only one usable shelf for components (which is the bottom shelf). I currently have three components on this shelf - Denon AVR-X1000, Sony Blu-Ray player BDP-S5100 and Time Warner cable box. I don't like to stack my components and all three fit on the bottom shelf with a little space between them. If you have additional components you would need to stack them (make sure to review dimensions as the hanging shelf takes up some space).

If you are looking for a well designed and high quality piece of furniture for your Vizio television I can give the Bello high marks as it has exceeded my expectations~*
post #25 of 139 Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 18

I picked the Universal Safety TV Lock for LCD LED and Plasma TV up from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082816&p_id=7666&seq=1&format=2

I have a glass stand, so I used the parts that allow you to bring the cables down to the stand. You can also attach it to the wall (studs), but I like this method because I can pull the TV and stand out away from the wall without the need to unhook it from the wall first. Its probably a better kit than most of what I saw on Amazon. The two clips the wire goes through that screw into the TV are plastic and I really wish they were metal. It still seems fairly sturdy for now. I'm not sure it will hold if a toddler tries to hang from the top of the TV, but it will likely prevent most accidents from bumping and general grabbing and pulling from young children.

My Equipment: 55" Vizio Razor M-Series | Yamaha RX-V473 | Klipsch F3- Floorstands | Klipsch C-2 Center | Klipsch S-10 Surrounds | Playstation 3 | Uverse DVR Motorola VIP-1225 | Apple TV | Harmony Touch
post #26 of 139 Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How to reset the remote if it's not responding

Yesterday my TV did not respond to any command from the remote. After the usual checks (replaced batteries, confirmed with camera that the remote is sending IR signal) I called Vizio tech support. They led me through various steps, but what finally made my remote work again was a hard reset of the remote/IR receiver. This is done as follows:

1. Switch on TV (with panel power button)
2. Point remote at IR receiver of TV
3. Press both the Forward button (>>) and the Enter button (bottom left button of remote) simultaneously for 10-12 seconds until the remote back light switches off.

This solved the problem for me. Thought this might be useful for the survival thread smile.gif

Equipment: 50" Vizio M-Series | Mohu Leaf Ultimate
post #27 of 139 Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post

I posted some of this info on the other thread so I thought it may be helpful for other owners over here. I will add more detail on this post smile.gif

3D Glasses Information -

The included 3D glasses that I believe comes for free with our sets is this model number from Vzio's website - Model# xpg404 (four glasses)

Here is a picture of the 3D glasses:

SPECIFICATIONS
Adult Glasses – Bridge Width: 0.67” (17.1 mm)
Adult Glasses – Earpiece Length: 6.10” (155 mm)
Kids Glasses – Bridge Width: 0.6” (16 mm)
Kids Glasses – Earpiece length: 5.5” (140 mm)
Frame Type: Flat lens with folding frame
Polarizer Efficiency: 99.9+%
Battery Type: n/a – not battery operated
Package Contents: 2 pairs of adult size Theater 3D™ glasses
2 pairs of child size Theater 3D™ glasses
Certifications: n/a

Dimensions and Weight (Single Unit)
Product Dimensions: (Adult Glasses) 6.1"W x 1.8"H x 6.5"D
Product Weight: 0.53oz
Product Dimensions: (Child Glasses) 5.47"W x 1.6"H x 5.9"D
Product Weight: 0.49oz
Packaging Dimensions: 7.9"W x 8.25"H x 1.3"D
Packaging Weight: 5.4oz

While these glasses work very well and this being my first 3D television and nothing else to compare them to I felt they worked fine. They are very lightweight and feel comfortable. I could wear them through an entire movie with no issues. The frame is straight and keeps the lenses in a good position on your face. They have a matte finish which does not show finger prints. For free glasses I did not expect much and for most viewing these will work fine.

What I did not like about these glasses:

The lenses are a very thin plastic that flexes when you try to clean them. They don't inspire confidence that they will last very long in my opinion. I can imagine one of the kids poking through these lenses at some point and requiring a replacement. While this may not be a concern for some the cheaper feeling materials may want you to look for alternatives.

Other Vizio 3D glasses options:

Since we need more than four 3D glasses in our home I recently decided to search for other options. I noticed from checking the Vizio website they offer another option - Model# xpg202 (two glasses)

Here is what they look like:

SPECIFICATIONS
Glasses - Bridge Width: .52"
Glasses - Lens Width: 2.44"
Glasses - Ear Piece Length: 5.92"
Frame Type: Curve lens with folding frame
Polarizer efficiency: 99.9+%

I decided to see if I could find this model or one that included four glasses as it would best fit my needs. If you search on Amazon or Ebay you can find them listed as xpg204 (four glasses). I purchased from an Ebay seller and they came very quickly. The four 3D glasses were in a clear clamshell plastic package and look like this:

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTY1YTAyOTIwNTEyNGVmYmU5NmJhYTA1MTM2NjgzOWQ2OTJmfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1nYWxhY3RpY3RyYWRlaHVifHxPUklHSU5BTF9FQkFZX1FVQUxJVFlfU0NPUkU9NHx8Q1JFQVRJT05fREFURT03LzMvMTMgNzoxOCBQTQ==

The lenses on these 3D glasses are a harder more rigid plastic similar to what you will find in sunglass lenses. WOHOO! I feel these lenses will hold up better over time and feel much more durable than the free version. The frame has a slight curve so it wraps around your face a little better. I haven't tested enough to see if the wrapping effect improves the 3D image but I will say since I purchased this pair I have not used the free glasses. Also the temples (stems) have more of a curve to hug around your face but may apply just the slightest bit more pressure than the free glasses. The temples are also slightly thicker. It may be just my eyes or my wallet speaking but I feel there is a slight improvement in contrast with these glasses. It could be because of the type of plastic they are using in these glasses. These glasses have a glossy finish so they show finger prints. The glasses all came with a microfiber pouch (similar to the ones that come with Oakley Sunglasses) and feel like good quality with a Vizio tag in red sewn on the outside.

In my opinion these glasses just feel like they are the better made product.

Take a look at some of the higher end LG 3D glasses on eBay. There are some good deals on nice glasses there. The companies manufacturing passive 3D TVs for Vizio are licensing that technology from LG so they will be completely compatible.
post #28 of 139 Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardstatman View Post

I picked the Universal Safety TV Lock for LCD LED and Plasma TV up from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082816&p_id=7666&seq=1&format=2ak95

I have a glass stand, so I used the parts that allow you to bring the cables down to the stand. You can also attach it to the wall (studs), but I like this method because I can pull the TV and stand out away from the wall without the need to unhook it from the wall first. Its probably a better kit than most of what I saw on Amazon. The two clips the wire goes through that screw into the TV are plastic and I really wish they were metal. It still seems fairly sturdy for now. I'm not sure it will hold if a toddler tries to hang from the top of the TV, but it will likely prevent most accidents from bumping and general grabbing and pulling from young children.
Yes, children will be very easy to catch, this can be bad
post #29 of 139 Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM

Anyone have Comcast and have successfully programmed their Comcast DVR remote to work with the new Vizio M series? I need the code to use.
post #30 of 139 Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrx View Post

Anyone have Comcast and have successfully programmed their Comcast DVR remote to work with the new Vizio M series? I need the code to use.

Here's a few links that may help:

Programming Your Comcast Remote (option 1)

http://customer.comcast.com/remotes/

Programming Your Comcast Remote (option 2)

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/finding-your-remote-control-programming-code/

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio 50 Inch Ambient Light Sensor Smart Lcd Hdtv E502ar , Vizio 55 Inch Vf550m Full Hd Lcd Hdtv , Vizio 65 Inch Led 3d Hdtv M3d650sv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page