Can I make a suggestion? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been in the market for a new 55-60" tv. I have been pouring over professional reviews and doing research on this web site. I am not a videophile but by me just researching on this site shows I care more than the general consumer. Anyway I really wish the reviewers on Cnet and other tv review web sites would NOT put the comment about sound not being good or actually most any comment about sound. We all know and so should the general consumer the sound on a 1.5" thick tv is not going to be good. Infact the more a person is willing to spend on a tv most likely the less they will care as they already have or will be buying a soundbar or audio system to back the great picture they are buying.

BTW I settled on a Sharp LC-60LE650......and not for the sound:p

Thank you.....I have said my peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I respectfully disagree. C-net and Consumer Reports are for many people the only research buyers do--most do none at all. Many automatically assume that a $1000+ tv will have decent sound and need to be informed that most sets don't. The vast majority of non-enthusiast buyers, who make up well over 90% of those actually buying new sets, look at external audio solutions as too expensive and complicated and need this information.

Steve S.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
+1
post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I respectfully disagree. C-net and Consumer Reports are for many people the only research buyers do--most do none at all. Many automatically assume that a $1000+ tv will have decent sound and need to be informed that most sets don't. The vast majority of non-enthusiast buyers, who make up well over 90% of those actually buying new sets, look at external audio solutions as too expensive and complicated and need this information.

Then I ask is there a review for a TV that states something like " This TV has great sound, Infact you would be hard pressed to to find a need for an external audio source"

But I do understand what you are saying.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by stygz View Post

Then I ask is there a review for a TV that states something like " This TV has great sound, Infact you would be hard pressed to to find a need for an external audio source"

But I do understand what you are saying.

That's kind of silly. No professional reviewer is going to say that. They may say the sound is decent for what it is. Common sense dictates that tiny little speakers in a very thin bezel can't sound anywhere near as good as external speakers. My LG is a couple of years old so it has a 2" bezel around it. The sound is not bad and would probably be a passable for a lot of people but there is absolutely no comparison to the sound that comes out of my HTS.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

That's kind of silly. No professional reviewer is going to say that. They may say the sound is decent for what it is. Common sense dictates that tiny little speakers in a very thin bezel can't sound anywhere near as good as external speakers. My LG is a couple of years old so it has a 2" bezel around it. The sound is not bad and would probably be a passable for a lot of people but there is absolutely no comparison to the sound that comes out of my HTS.

That is exactly my point.

It is silly to say the sound is great (or even OK) and no need for external audio source.

It is also silly to say the sound is lacking on a TV with less than a 2" bezel.

I guess the reviewers have to put in some filler.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you read customer reviews on Amazon of recent TVs, what's one the most frequent complaints? You got it: "OMG the audio really sucks on this TV!" Like it's a big surprise. Evidently it is, for them.tongue.gif

Why should pro reviewers not mention it?

So I also think non-videphiles, i.e. the vast bulk of buyers, need to be told. They need to know upfront that they're gonna need a soundbar at least, or, better, a HTIB. Ideally, a decent surround system.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page