Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1393 Old 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Are you eyes at the middle of the screen? They need to be or that will happen. You are also going from a 55 to a 80" so maybe your aren't close to eye level now.

No settings for 3d.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1393 Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Damn that is disappointing. Maybe I just needed to have the tv turned on for a while or something because I didn't notice it much on a couple other 3D blu rays.
post #363 of 1393 Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, will a harmony remote like the 650 work with this set? Not too keen on spending over 300.00 for the 960.
I'd go up to 100.00

Thanks!
post #364 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 04:59 AM

Liked: 13
I just starting having a problem with the tv. I got in on aug 26th and today I have a screen problem
There's black spot which looks like a smudge on the screen.

post #365 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM

Looks like your going to have to send that pic to Vizio and they will send a replacement out.
post #366 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Do you also get the blotch during tv startup? Can you take a picture of your screen startup and post it. I get similar blotches at screen startup but they go away on dark scenes. I wonder if the blotches will get worse over time...
post #367 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM

thanks for the request, but I've removed all my pics, some folks felt showing my screen pic from Into Darkness was spamming, so I'll limit my posts to tech questions and try to keep a lower profile.

Isn't it true that the only time you ever really benefitted
from anything is when you said YES instead of NO??[[[
/CENTER]/I]/SIZE]
post #368 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post

I just starting having a problem with the tv. I got in on aug 26th and today I have a screen problem

That's not good. Defective HDTV to me.
post #369 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Question about this power light. Is it a light bulb that can wear out if it is on too much and repair would be tricky and expensive? Thank you in advance. smile.gif

I don't have any actual technical info on this but I can't imagine, in 2013, anyone using an incandescent bulb for anything on a piece of electronics. It's almost certainly an LED, which, barring a defect, should last the life of the set.
I finally got an answer from Vizio's support e-mail after explaining the question three times/thrice. Here is what Randal said: "It's possible to burn that light out. I have only ever seen 1 instance where the LED light quit working so it does happen but it is rare." I guess I won't leave it on all the time then.
post #370 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM

led's don't normally burn out, they just get dimmer over time. It's prob 1 in a million.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #371 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:

I finally got an answer from Vizio's support e-mail after explaining the question three times/thrice. Here is what Randal said: "It's possible to burn that light out. I have only ever seen 1 instance where the LED light quit working so it does happen but it is rare." I guess I won't leave it on all the time then.
I don't understand your concern???? What you're saying is that in the odd 1 in a million chance that it may burn out, you will go into the controls & set it to off. Basically if you can live with it off without bothering you but would prefer it on, leave it on & if you're set is that 1 in a million that burns out then it will then be off just the same as if you turned it off to keep it from burning out.

If you're that worried about it, purchase a square trade extended warranty through Vizio which you can do anytime the 1st year or through Costco if you purchased it there or have a costco membership.
post #372 of 1393 Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post

Where did you purchase it? if it was through Costco or Sams club then you can still return it, if your return window is closed get Vizio to fix it under warranty
post #373 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 37
That's pretty rough pic
post #374 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If I decide to buy a replacement set (long story) I am considering the Vizio as I've simply got to have a bigger screen. My last 4 sets were all 64 or 65" sets. I'm hearing very good things about the 80" Vizio but would like to round them up. For those that have this set, please post your thoughts on the following:

Viewing angle
Sharpness and clarity of picture
3D
3D resolution (jagged edges, scan lines)
Color fidelty
Brightness (especially for 3D)
Black level

I can view this set at a nearby Costco but am waiting for them to move the set to another part of the store so that it can be more user friendly and have a blu ray player attached. I'll check on that status this evening. I'm in the process of getting a refund from my 4k set and hopefully it will be resolved soon. It will be sort of a let down PQ wise as the set 4k set was brilliant but other wise I'd have about a 6 month wait till the 2014 sets come out. Don't be word shy with your thoughts and thanks.
post #375 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Viewing angles are awesome! Beats out just about any other set I've seen. Here is one next to a Samsung. If you are going to be viewing from side angles this is the tv to get.

Brightness is great. Good rich color. 3d is super clean but since its passive your eyes must be at middle of screen or images will start to double, any lower than 20 degrees (again this is passive technology)

Black level surprisingly good. Clear and sharp.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #376 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 11
Ok... So I currently own a LG 60PZ950. Owned it for 2 years and it has been nothing short of STELLAR!

BUT... I want M O R E! As in screen size. I recently remodeled my Entertainment Room and purchased a lovely stand that can accommodate up to 90" TV.

So yesterday I was at my local Best Buy and saw a Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE857U in action. It was very impressive considering how bright the room was and it killed all the other surrounding sets other than the 4k ones. I have not seen this Vizio in person (neither had I seen the LG before buying it) but have read some fantastic reviews from Amazon, here and elsewhere. The drawbacks appear to be: the remote, some light bleeding, and sound quality (not an issue since I have a hefty Home Theater setup). Anyone here compare side-by-side this Vizio with the Sharp? If so, please share...

Regards, Big Marcus

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #377 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Anyone here compare side-by-side this Vizio with the Sharp? If so, please share...

I haven't, so my comment is generic... at any store (and, IMO, especially Best Buy and other "big box" stores), make sure that YOU get to control the TV settings. It is very common practice to amp up the settings on the TV you want to sell (better profit margin, back-end deal with the manufacturer, spiffs and commissions, excess inventory, whatever). All I have to do to show you that TV A is better than TV B is to screw with the settings of either... and voila... TV A is instantly "better." Be aware of that as you shop.

/2 cents
post #378 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post

I haven't, so my comment is generic... at any store (and, IMO, especially Best Buy and other "big box" stores), make sure that YOU get to control the TV settings. It is very common practice to amp up the settings on the TV you want to sell (better profit margin, back-end deal with the manufacturer, spiffs and commissions, excess inventory, whatever). All I have to do to show you that TV A is better than TV B is to screw with the settings of either... and voila... TV A is instantly "better." Be aware of that as you shop.

/2 cents

Thx for that reply. And trust, I am def aware of that trick lol. wink.gif

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #379 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 PM

Getting ready to buy the vizio. Is there a reason to go with the sharp quatraon vs this set? He quatron colors seem a bit deeper.......
post #380 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

Getting ready to buy the vizio. Is there a reason to go with the sharp quatraon vs this set? He quatron colors seem a bit deeper.......

I went with this over the Sharp didn't like how it looked over all. I feel this set is a better overall performer vs. the Sharp.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #381 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 PM

I am only about a week in with my 80". As for viewing angles......yes it is excellent for an LCD panel. However, off angle viewing presents a haze to the overall screen reducing clarity. With that said, the viewing is till there, which is more than you can say for other similar sets.

Color rendition is great, not spot on out of the box. I'll know better after calibration. 3d looks great but I don't care much for it so better to get thoughts from others.

Overall, I am pleased coming from a panny plasma for the last 4 years.

Severum
post #382 of 1393 Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severum88 View Post

I am only about a week in with my 80". As for viewing angles......yes it is excellent for an LCD panel. However, off angle viewing presents a haze to the overall screen reducing clarity. With that said, the viewing is till there, which is more than you can say for other similar sets.

Color rendition is great, not spot on out of the box. I'll know better after calibration. 3d looks great but I don't care much for it so better to get thoughts from others.

Overall, I am pleased coming from a panny plasma for the last 4 years.

Severum
I thought it was LED, not LCD.
post #383 of 1393 Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 AM

How is the banding on this set? Also I'm sitting 12 feet away. Will I see pixels with HD content?
post #384 of 1393 Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Technically, an LED is an LCD, only the backlighting is differernt.
post #385 of 1393 Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

How is the banding on this set? Also I'm sitting 12 feet away. Will I see pixels with HD content?

Go to Costco or where ever, pace off 12', and watch the content to see if you detect the "pixels".
post #386 of 1393 Old 11-02-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Quote:

Technically, an LED is an LCD, only the backlighting is differernt.
Ahh. I did not know that. I thought LED was a completely different display technology like plasma.
post #387 of 1393 Old 11-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Ok... So I currently own a LG 60PZ950. Owned it for 2 years and it has been nothing short of STELLAR!

BUT... I want M O R E! As in screen size. I recently remodeled my Entertainment Room and purchased a lovely stand that can accommodate up to 90" TV.

So yesterday I was at my local Best Buy and saw a Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE857U in action. It was very impressive considering how bright the room was and it killed all the other surrounding sets other than the 4k ones. I have not seen this Vizio in person (neither had I seen the LG before buying it) but have read some fantastic reviews from Amazon, here and elsewhere. The drawbacks appear to be: the remote, some light bleeding, and sound quality (not an issue since I have a hefty Home Theater setup). Anyone here compare side-by-side this Vizio with the Sharp? If so, please share...

Regards, Big Marcus

Haaa I have a 60" lgpz750 lol. First and last plasma I'm buying I just wanted it for comparisons sake and 3d? So I can view things on my led/LCD vs plasma smile.gif
post #388 of 1393 Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ahh. I did not know that. I thought LED was a completely different display technology like plasma.

An LCD panel uses CCFL lighting for the backlight. An LED panel is an LCD panel that uses LED lighting for back or edge lighting.
phildaant likes this.
post #389 of 1393 Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM

I got it from amazon in August. I called Vizio and they had me upload 2 pictures. They said it was the backlight. They are going to send me another tv. smile.gif
post #390 of 1393 Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Just got back from best buy comparing the sharp vs the vizio. Bought the vizio. The sharp is a brighter set no doubt but its deceiving. The highlights are extended but at the sacrifice of the middle greys. Second, the 960 aqua motion is marginal. The set looked better with it off even on sports. Also another overlooked factor is that the sharp has a duller matte finish on the glass! This is welcome if your in a well lit room with reflections but definitely takes away from the pop and depth. The vizio had clear glass and looked better. Combine this with the fact that Vizio is using an LG panel and it was an easy choice. Off center viewing was better not he vizio. Lets also not forget the thousand dollar price difference and the Vizio really shines. Now a big plug for best buy is that starting today, you have until Jan 15 th for a return! Durning that time they will also price match. I'm also going to get he extended warrantee through Costco for 99.00 as well. Extends the coverage out to 4 years.

Vizio is a well established company that provides a good product for a bit less money. They seem to stand behind their products. They will deliver it on Tuesday. Should be a nice addition to my existence.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page