post #451 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlvr View Post

Did you mean "parted"? You should probably learn to get a quote right before calling someone a fool.

Yep, I meant parted. Slip of the finger on the keyboard. It's nice to know that once your wife graduates that her income will be such that spending $9,000 on a television won't be a big deal to you, but I still think that's foolish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I won't be spending that much on a TV, but I'm guessing that the OLED TVs and 4K TVs will be cheaper by then. There is a thread on here though for that TV if you want to go in and criticize.
post #453 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I won't be spending that much on a TV, but I'm guessing that the OLED TVs and 4K TVs will be cheaper by then.

I certainly hope so. However, I think we're still a few years away from seeing prices that are reasonably affordable. But maybe with Panasonic supposedly getting out of the plasma business next year that will push the industry some.
post #454 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any recommendations on a retailer to buy this TV from? I think my brother in law wants to pick it up on Black Friday, but I'm a little worried he may have issues trying to find one then.
post #455 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Are we still talking about the M801D-A3? I'm not convinced that Black Friday deals are that good of a deal, especially on popular models. The best time to buy is closer to Christmas or in January or February when retailers clean out the "old" inventory and get ready for the new models.
post #456 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you buy from best buy like I did, they now give you until Jan. 15th to return! They will also price match up to that date. I highly recommend hanging onto your box until that date.
post #457 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Any recommendations on a retailer to buy this TV from? I think my brother in law wants to pick it up on Black Friday, but I'm a little worried he may have issues trying to find one then.
You can get the 801d-a3 from Amazon for 3300 if you're an Amazon Prime member. Only difference between the a3 and the a3r is that the r has 8 pairs of glasses while the a3 has 4.
post #458 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Costco, 90 day hassle free return policy and an extra year of warranty free makes it the best place to buy in my opinion.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #459 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Costco, 90 day hassle free return policy and an extra year of warranty free makes it the best place to buy in my opinion.

Plus 3% cash back for Executive members (though, AMZN is 3% cash back if you use their branded Chase cc).
post #460 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. But there are other options than Vizio.
post #461 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

What do you mean "other options than Vizio" this is the M801d owners thread. So I believe most people here made up their mind that Vizio is the way to go.
PDDUFRENE likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #462 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:

There are lots of options, from used rear projection to OLED. But several professional reviewers have judged Vizio to be one of the best values available right now. You seem to be trolling Vizio.
post #463 of 1755 Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

For both of you above.... I've had Vizio's in the past. Purchased one which was crap, build-wise and support-wise. I won another one in a raffle and donated it to our local women's shelter. It died after 6 months and Vizio wouldn't do anything because it was "donated". As I stated in one of my posts above, I sincerely hope that Vizio has risen above the issues they have been plagued with in the past and have finally been able to bring to market a tv that is on par, for the long term, with some of the other major mfrs. I don't give too much credence to the "professional" review sites because I don't believe that they are totally un-biased. I give more credence to what is posted here from actual users in their own homes. I sincerely hope that your Vizio's are trouble-free for the long term, and only time will tell, but once burned, twice shy. Caveat emptor.
post #464 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Since a 5 year warranty is available for $99 from Costco and $149 through the Vizio site, this makes the purchase much less a risk. My six year old Vizio plasma continues to give me a very good picture and no problems. Horror stories such as yours can be told about every brand. The comments by actual Vizio owners have been overwhelmingly positive, both here and on the purchase sites.
post #465 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

Since a 5 year warranty is available for $99 from Costco and $149 through the Vizio site,

Small point of correction... the SquareTrade warranty is _3_ years, beginning _after_ other warranties have expired. Costco includes a second year warranty on top of Vizio's manufacturer warranty of one year. So, you get 1 + 1 + 3 = 5 if you buy the TV from Costco and the ST warranty. If you buy the TV elsewhere, you don't get the Costco "year 2," of course. Also, of course, other sellers certainly may offer similar added protection (we know that Best Buy and AMZN do not).
post #466 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 AM

I was referring to the ST warranty available through Vizio's site, which is for a total of 5 years for 149, including the initial mfr's one year warranty.
post #467 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I was referring to the ST warranty available through Vizio's site, which is for a total of 5 years for 149, including the initial mfr's one year warranty.

What you SAID was...
Quote:
Since a 5 year warranty is available for $99 from Costco and $149 through the Vizio site...

In FACT, the $99 warranty available from Costco is NOT a 5 year warranty. It is a 3 year warranty that attaches at the END of the 1 year Vizio warranty and the 1 year Costco "Concierge" warranty. And so, I corrected the facts in your post. No need to get defensive.
post #468 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Question about calibration.
Picture on our 80 is good except for dark scenes.

I was in Best Buy today to get and HDMI cable.
While there I asked the guy if they sold calibration discs.
He said no, they have techs that do calibrations.
Said they will access settings in the TV that users can't get to.
Said they can make the picture on a $1000 TV look like a $2000 TV.
How much is he exaggerating?

Is this something to consider.
Cost is $250.00
post #469 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

He's exaggerating a bit. A good calibration can, and will improve pq considerably on most tv's. Some require very little adjustment to Rec.709 standards, others a lot. There is the free AVS HD-709 disk that you can use to make adjustments to your tv that can improve pq and that may be all you need. There are other commercial disks like WoW, Spears & Munsil etc that will do the same thing. You won't be calibrating your tv because you need meters and software for that, but you can adjust your tv to be very close to the Rec. 709 standards as far as contrast, brightness, color, aspect, sharpness, etc.

As far as accessing settings that the user can't normally get to, that's not true in a lot of cases. What he's referring to is going into the Service Menu which is rarely needed on most newer tv's. In fact, accessing the Service Menu can cause more problems than it's worth and is the quickest way to brick a tv if you make even the slightest wrong adjustment.

Having BB come out and do your calibration is a crap shoot. Personally I wouldn't do it. Especially if they feel it's necessary to access the Service Menu. $250 is about the entry level fee for a basic calibration, even from a real professional calibrator. If you really want a calibration, you can probably find a professional one in your area who will calibrate your set for not much more than what BB would charge. Just ask them what their experience is with your particular set, what equipment they use and when it was calibrated last, etc. A good calibrator should go over the process with you explaining what he's doing and provide you with a printout of what your tv looks like before he starts and then afterwards. Keep in mind that if you've never viewed a properly calibrated set, there will be an adjustment period for your eyes because you're not used to what it's "supposed" to look like. Or at least what it looks like set to the Rec. 709 standards. Viewed content will also vary depending on the source. So if the source is bad, your pq will reflect that.

You bought an HDMI cable at BB? I hate to ask but did you get a Monster cable? If so, I'd return it and get one from Monoprice or one of the other AVS sponsors. All you need is a certified high speed HDMI cable which will cost you considerably less than what you paid for a Monster, if that's in fact what you bought.
post #470 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

He's exaggerating a bit. A good calibration can, and will improve pq considerably on most tv's. Some require very little adjustment to Rec.709 standards, others a lot. There is the free AVS HD-709 disk that you can use to make adjustments to your tv that can improve pq and that may be all you need. There are other commercial disks like WoW, Spears & Munsil etc that will do the same thing. You won't be calibrating your tv because you need meters and software for that, but you can adjust your tv to be very close to the Rec. 709 standards as far as contrast, brightness, color, aspect, sharpness, etc.

As far as accessing settings that the user can't normally get to, that's not true in a lot of cases. What he's referring to is going into the Service Menu which is rarely needed on most newer tv's. In fact, accessing the Service Menu can cause more problems than it's worth and is the quickest way to brick a tv if you make even the slightest wrong adjustment.

Having BB come out and do your calibration is a crap shoot. Personally I wouldn't do it. Especially if they feel it's necessary to access the Service Menu. $250 is about the entry level fee for a basic calibration, even from a real professional calibrator. If you really want a calibration, you can probably find a professional one in your area who will calibrate your set for not much more than what BB would charge. Just ask them what their experience is with your particular set, what equipment they use and when it was calibrated last, etc. A good calibrator should go over the process with you explaining what he's doing and provide you with a printout of what your tv looks like before he starts and then afterwards. Keep in mind that if you've never viewed a properly calibrated set, there will be an adjustment period for your eyes because you're not used to what it's "supposed" to look like. Or at least what it looks like set to the Rec. 709 standards. Viewed content will also vary depending on the source. So if the source is bad, your pq will reflect that.

You bought an HDMI cable at BB? I hate to ask but did you get a Monster cable? If so, I'd return it and get one from Monoprice or one of the other AVS sponsors. All you need is a certified high speed HDMI cable which will cost you considerably less than what you paid for a Monster, if that's in fact what you bought.

Thanks for all the info. I'll try one of the disks first.
The guy at Best Buy did say if you made the wrong adjustment it could wreck the TV, or something like that.

I just grabbed a $10 HDMI cable for our TV in the kitchen to hook it to the box.
He didn't even try to sell me a Monster cable, I thought he would.
post #471 of 1755 Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool. I'm not familiar with the new Vizio's but I doubt that you would have to go into the Service Menu to properly calibrate it.
post #472 of 1755 Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 AM

Questions.

1. Why am I getting a faint semi transparent double image around the rims of images in 3D? Most noticeable in the further back images... Viewing angle has no change, checked all connections, what's funny is that it seems to have shown itself more with my new oppo 500.00 player! Is this inherent with passive technology? I also notice it a tad more not the right. This is happening on all of my 3d material. Could it be a connection or hdmi cable issue? It's all hooked up right......

2. It also seems that the various picture settings, I.e. Vivid, calibrated, game, when in 3d mode some of the features in these modes are locked in and not adjustable.....why? How would I go about getting settings for 2d and different ones for 3d?

3. I want to be able to use my oppo processor on all blu ray, and video material, I can set my av unit to pass through the oppo signal, it's here anything to turn off on the vizio to keep from duplicating any video enhancement or processing?

Thanks all!
post #473 of 1755 Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

2. It also seems that the various picture settings, I.e. Vivid, calibrated, game, when in 3d mode some of the features in these modes are locked in and not adjustable.....why? How would I go about getting settings for 2d and different ones for 3d?

Those aren't user-definable. Those are "typical" settings so you can just flip to them and not have to set up your settings manually... much like some (often cheapie) stereos have several equalization presets like "Jazz," or "Rock."

Also, I don't believe the settings were intended to be based on mode. I believe they are "universal" settings based on what the TV should produce... ie, NOT making up for differences/deficiencies in material by tuning the TV, but rather, setting the TV for "correct" mode and let the material be what it is.
post #474 of 1755 Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Thanks all..........Anyone know the 3 digit code for this set? I have 6 remotes and just got a universal remote. Seems like a few codes
Will work but some codes work more buttons than others.
post #475 of 1755 Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Get a Harmony. They work great, albeit a bit pricey depending on what you get and how many devices you want to control but once you set it up, it's really cool to push just one button and what ever device you want to operate turns on, the correct input is selected and you have virtually all of the control functions for that device as is you were using the original remote.
post #476 of 1755 Old 11-11-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 201
My folks in Arizona just bought and installed this 80" Vizio set in their month-old new home. I was there visiting for vacation and spent some quality time with 'the beast' over an entire week.

photo1_zps1517680b.jpg
photo2_zpsef63f267.jpg

Based on my own experience owning a recent Vizio model (the under-the-radar XVT 21:9 widescreen set released last year) this 80" sacrifices a few features (PIP is MIA) for the sake of a clean, functional look that is meant to be impressive as a decoration item as much as a TV set. Yes, the 'light' blacks and slight light bleeds in dark images we've come to expect from Vizio are present but they're tolerable, IMO. We watched Woody Allen's "Manhattan" on Blu-ray (B&W 2:35:1) and it looked pretty damn good even during a couple of scenes when the screen goes completely dark and there is no light bleed whatsoever. We also watched "Psycho II" on DVD (an old one from about a decade ago) and I made it a point during both movies to turn off the 'Smooth' effect to avoid the dreaded 'soap opera' effect and have the good ol' film look. It passed with flying colors.

The default 'Standard' when the TV is first turned on is horrible, and 'Calibrated' looks fine if you dial the Backlight down a few clicks from the full 100% it's set on. Since this set is meant for my folks to watch local TV and DVR'ed shows I didn't go crazy calibrating or setting their set, but if you want to go crazy setting it up the 80" puts a much cleaner, colorful and better picture than my below-$1,000 120 Hz XVT model. I was a little poe'd that, when we watched some 3D content ("Titanic 3D" and "Pina 3D," both looking stunning at 80" and from 5-6 feet away), the Vizio grayed out the option to have the 'Smooth' effect at 'Medium' without a chance to turn it off or bring it down to 'Low.'

The internet apps work as well as we've come to expect from Vizio: not as good as other 'smart' TV's that actually put horsepower on the sets to power the apps. We watched "Young Adult" streaming from Amazon Prime using my account Saturday night around 6:30PM Arizona time, and we got streaming interruptions every 15 or so minutes at both four and one bars signals. Had to watch the last 25 minutes of the movie from a laptop hooked with HDMI cable (like the 2nd picture above) which played smoothly even with a one bar signal.

Not really an owner of the 80" Vizio (consider this the 'son of the owner' post tongue.gif) but I thought you'd like to know. When I heard my folks had bought this set I was hell-bent on convincing them to trade their Costco set down to a 70" or 65" because 80" just seemed too gigantic a size. Now that I've watched my dose of AZ local news, movies and GSN gameshows on a comfy couch 13 feet away from the set without losing detail or picture clarity I can't imagine having anything smaller hanging on my father's living room wall. At least the good ol' 52" Sammy from 2008 (in which we watched good stuff like "Good Night, and Good Luck" & "Harold and Maude" this time around) now has its own room for private 'us' time.

photo3_zpsc23f8ae9.jpg smile.gif

P.S.: As often mentioned here and elsewhere, the control remote that comes with the set is a gigantic and borderline-useless POS. My budget 58" XVT set's plastic remote with Qwerty keyboard is better and more accurate than the remote on a $3K 80" deluxe TV model? Not cool. mad.gif
post #477 of 1755 Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Talk directly to your local Best Buy. I ordered my M801D a month ago by dealing directly with my local Best Buy (they didn't have it in stock but could order it for me). It was delivered to my house, put on the stand and powered up. The delivery men also removed the box for me.

Went to my local Best Buy to FINALLY get the M80.... no luck. They tried 4 different methods to get this set delivered to me and it could not be done! This tv is no where to be found in SoCAL:mad: I was told to wait a few weeks to see if the warehouse gets a replenishment... this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #478 of 1755 Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post

Went to my local Best Buy to FINALLY get the M80.... no luck. They tried 4 different methods to get this set delivered to me and it could not be done! This tv is no where to be found in SoCAL:mad: I was told to wait a few weeks to see if the warehouse gets a replenishment... this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be better to buy this set from Costco, look back a few post to see why.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #479 of 1755 Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

It would be better to buy this set from Costco, look back a few post to see why.

I have a $1000 credit at best buy that was issued to me for my old panasonic plasma that best buy took back under warranty. Plus I get 2yrs no interest on my bb card.

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #480 of 1755 Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Liked: 10

Amazon just picked up the Sharp LC-80LE757 80-inch tv & Deliverd the VIZIO M801d-A3 80-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV

Right off the bat Vizio picture quality is much better & brighter not as grainy.

I will say the sharp 3D is better you can watch anything broadcast in 2D, Also the Sharp menu software & usb file player is better & the sharp stand in Better it has two points of contact you screw in vizio only has one.

I think what matters most is picture quality & Vizio wins in this category.

As a amazon prime member I got $500 off the TV ,  I was not expecting that........ TV  total $3298.00. not inclu tax.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page