Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1228 Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Member
 
hidaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lol, most of the issues are with un uniformity with regards to lighting. Mine had a flickering backlight and 2 really bright areas that destroyed any moderate dark scene.
Most of these issues come from the fact that edge lit, high hz sets are plain crap. It is a bit better on smaller less than 50 inch sets but horrible for big screens. LCD was the dirty step child when compared to plasma way back. I think that the next step towards OLED will be the big game changer that we hoped for. Although less longevity, the colors, motion, blacks are equal tot he best plasma but with more deep and vibrant backlit color. My thinking that by the time an 80 inch hd4k OLED comes close to 4000.00 it will be at least a few years out. I talked to the Oppo tech and he said a hd4k blu ray player wouldn't hit the shelves until 2015. All things considered, sitting 11.5 feet from this set (assuming you have a decent one) is still a very enjoyable experience. Coming from a projector I am much more happy. I'd never go back to a projector after having this set. Heat, cost of bulbs, noise, LCD burn outs! You can keep it......
hidaven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1228 Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Member
 
wmassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Even a projector that could adequately light up a 165 inch diagonal screen?
I plan to use the 80 inch as a secondary display but i still need bigger!
wmassie is offline  
post #543 of 1228 Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Member
 
zman803's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

That was a zombie movie.

LOL!!!
So it's not the TV. cool
iChristopher likes this.
zman803 is offline  
post #544 of 1228 Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Member
 
iChristopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
anyone else having issues with lip-syncing?? I'm having to adjust it every time I change the channel....

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
iChristopher is offline  
post #545 of 1228 Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Member
 
rd7723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

Lol, most of the issues are with un uniformity with regards to lighting. Mine had a flickering backlight and 2 really bright areas that destroyed any moderate dark scene.
Most of these issues come from the fact that edge lit, high hz sets are plain crap. It is a bit better on smaller less than 50 inch sets but horrible for big screens. LCD was the dirty step child when compared to plasma way back. I think that the next step towards OLED will be the big game changer that we hoped for. Although less longevity, the colors, motion, blacks are equal tot he best plasma but with more deep and vibrant backlit color. My thinking that by the time an 80 inch hd4k OLED comes close to 4000.00 it will be at least a few years out. I talked to the Oppo tech and he said a hd4k blu ray player wouldn't hit the shelves until 2015. All things considered, sitting 11.5 feet from this set (assuming you have a decent one) is still a very enjoyable experience. Coming from a projector I am much more happy. I'd never go back to a projector after having this set. Heat, cost of bulbs, noise, LCD burn outs! You can keep it......

I am debating between this set and several projectors. I will be witting approx 11 feet from the screen. What kind of projector did you have? how does the pic quality compare and do you miss the size? Thanks for any response.
rd7723 is offline  
post #546 of 1228 Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Member
 
The Pup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pup View Post

I've waited a week for the update (currently at V1.08.15.0000)--this is truly a 1st world problem.

:-)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post


LOL. I still want top know how Vizio does the serial number grouping for the latest firmwares since none of us figured out the patterns yet. :P

I contacted Vizio customer support and talked to the 2nd and 1st string (supervisor) techs and neither were sure of what methods, means, or procedural logic was used for pushing firmware to customers.  The supervisor stated that the firmware update check occurs upon start-up, however exactly when my set would receive v1.09 is a mystery to all.  I also had to explain the missing menu features with v1.08.

 

When, and if, my M801D-A3 updates, I am going to have to brace myself for this significant life-affirming event.

 

:-)

phildaant likes this.
The Pup is offline  
post #547 of 1228 Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman803 View Post

LOL!!!
So it's not the TV. cool

I hope it's not the TV.
jbug is online now  
post #548 of 1228 Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Newbie
 
mlgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

Lol, most of the issues are with un uniformity with regards to lighting. Mine had a flickering backlight and 2 really bright areas that destroyed any moderate dark scene.
Most of these issues come from the fact that edge lit, high hz sets are plain crap. It is a bit better on smaller less than 50 inch sets but horrible for big screens. LCD was the dirty step child when compared to plasma way back. I think that the next step towards OLED will be the big game changer that we hoped for. Although less longevity, the colors, motion, blacks are equal tot he best plasma but with more deep and vibrant backlit color. My thinking that by the time an 80 inch hd4k OLED comes close to 4000.00 it will be at least a few years out. I talked to the Oppo tech and he said a hd4k blu ray player wouldn't hit the shelves until 2015. All things considered, sitting 11.5 feet from this set (assuming you have a decent one) is still a very enjoyable experience. Coming from a projector I am much more happy. I'd never go back to a projector after having this set. Heat, cost of bulbs, noise, LCD burn outs! You can keep it......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd7723 View Post

I am debating between this set and several projectors. I will be witting approx 11 feet from the screen. What kind of projector did you have? how does the pic quality compare and do you miss the size? Thanks for any response.

I'd like to know this as well.
mlgreen is offline  
post #549 of 1228 Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Member
 
hidaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If your only 11 feet from the screen a projector is a bad choice. I'm 11 feet from the vizio and its more than enough.
Projectors are best used when you need over 100 inches and your sitting back 15 to 25 feet. I have several projectors including a Sanyo PLV 70
A Sony and JVC. They all were a PITA. You need to be careful of dust getting sucked into the unit, heat buildup, noise. Only reason why we all went that route
Is that no manufacturer made a plasma or LCD over 55 inches 10 years ago!

You had no choice but to get a projector. Now if you were 20 feet away and wanted 120 plus inches for a screen then you still have no options other than a projector.
But trust me, the ease of a big LCD panel combined with the MUCH better back lighting and vivid color is a clear choice if sitting within 15 feet. Also, consider that you need a battery backup/ surge supply fort he projector as well. If you loose power while watching a movie you need that bulb and LCD panels to cool off in the projector before powering off. If you go to complete shutdown with no cool off you will burn out a LCD panel. You have 3 I believe. Those panels are 500.00 plus to replace and are not warranted if its from a power outage. They can tell, don't ask how I know this......

Lastly, the power consumption is almost 4 times as much than the current big panels. As far as viewing distance, if you go too big a screen sitting too close, you will suffer eye fatigue and possible headaches. Why? Sitting too close to a big screen makes you scan the screen to get the full picture. This is why they recommend 1.5 times the diagonal or 2 times the height of the screen for the minimum viewing distance. This is also why hd4k is a joke as 1080p is just as clear at 12 feet viewing an 80 inch screen. OLED is a different story but my money will be on the 80 inch OleD 1080P offering. Besides, the cable companies can't even offer true HD to us anyway. 1080i and its compressed like crap, so how are they going to offer a quality signal using 4 times the bandwidth? Fiber optic source to set is the only way and that's a decade away at least.

Oh, and one more for you, don't even think of using that projector unless your in a dark room. Most current projectors are 1500 ANSI lumens and once calibrated your around 1200 or so. Not very bright, plus light will totally wash out the picture if you have ambient or reflections in the room. I had a 2200 ANSI lumen projector and it just did the job in a moderately dark room. My vizio has soooooooo much more pop as its back lit. Almost 3d like compared to a projectors picture. That semi clear glass in front of these LCD/ plasmas really make the image pop compared to the flat, matte projector image.m and be prepared to get a quality screen for that projector as well, I used a Da Lite screen fire hawk 1.0 grey to add some contrast.

These panels are rated at over 50k hours. Get one and start enjoying your favorite content. I sold over 8000.00 worth of projector/ screen equipment and got about 1000.00 for it from someone who needed it as a portable meeting solution. That's where projectors belong. Quality control issues aside, this is he best HD experience I've had in the last 10 years. If you gave me the best HD projector out there for free, I wouldn't swap it for a large LCD panel. Kinda like going back to a manual trans vs. the newer automatics. : ). Again, all of the above is just my own opinion.
hidaven is offline  
post #550 of 1228 Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Member
 
wmassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

If your only 11 feet from the screen a projector is a bad choice. I'm 11 feet from the vizio and its more than enough.

Projectors are best used when you need over 100 inches and your sitting back 15 to 25 feet. I have several projectors including a Sanyo PLV 70

A Sony and JVC. They all were a PITA. You need to be careful of dust getting sucked into the unit, heat buildup, noise. Only reason why we all went that route

Is that no manufacturer made a plasma or LCD over 55 inches 10 years ago!



You had no choice but to get a projector. Now if you were 20 feet away and wanted 120 plus inches for a screen then you still have no options other than a projector.

But trust me, the ease of a big LCD panel combined with the MUCH better back lighting and vivid color is a clear choice if sitting within 15 feet. Also, consider that you need a battery backup/ surge supply fort he projector as well. If you loose power while watching a movie you need that bulb and LCD panels to cool off in the projector before powering off. If you go to complete shutdown with no cool off you will burn out a LCD panel. You have 3 I believe. Those panels are 500.00 plus to replace and are not warranted if its from a power outage. They can tell, don't ask how I know this......



Lastly, the power consumption is almost 4 times as much than the current big panels. As far as viewing distance, if you go too big a screen sitting too close, you will suffer eye fatigue and possible headaches. Why? Sitting too close to a big screen makes you scan the screen to get the full picture. This is why they recommend 1.5 times the diagonal or 2 times the height of the screen for the minimum viewing distance. This is also why hd4k is a joke as 1080p is just as clear at 12 feet viewing an 80 inch screen. OLED is a different story but my money will be on the 80 inch OleD 1080P offering. Besides, the cable companies can't even offer true HD to us anyway. 1080i and its compressed like crap, so how are they going to offer a quality signal using 4 times the bandwidth? Fiber optic source to set is the only way and that's a decade away at least.



Oh, and one more for you, don't even think of using that projector unless your in a dark room. Most current projectors are 1500 ANSI lumens and once calibrated your around 1200 or so. Not very bright, plus light will totally wash out the picture if you have ambient or reflections in the room. I had a 2200 ANSI lumen projector and it just did the job in a moderately dark room. My vizio has soooooooo much more pop as its back lit. Almost 3d like compared to a projectors picture. That semi clear glass in front of these LCD/ plasmas really make the image pop compared to the flat, matte projector image.m and be prepared to get a quality screen for that projector as well, I used a Da Lite screen fire hawk 1.0 grey to add some contrast.



These panels are rated at over 50k hours. Get one and start enjoying your favorite content. I sold over 8000.00 worth of projector/ screen equipment and got about 1000.00 for it from someone who needed it as a portable meeting solution. That's where projectors belong. Quality control issues aside, this is he best HD experience I've had in the last 10 years. If you gave me the best HD projector out there for free, I wouldn't swap it for a large LCD panel. Kinda like going back to a manual trans vs. the newer automatics. : ). Again, all of the above is just my own opinion.

 




Post this in any of the projector threads -should make for a lively conversation.
wmassie is offline  
post #551 of 1228 Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Member
 
hidaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lol, they will attack me like a pack of wolves. Facts are facts though, my dislike is my opinion of course.
Projectors are going to go the way of 8 track tape unless someone is looking for a very big application.
VegasSmitty likes this.
hidaven is offline  
post #552 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just got a re(ply/sponse) from Vizio's e-mail support about their firmware upgrades:

"... Here is a suggestion to try to get the update to go through a little
faster for you. As long as your device is connected to the internet you
will receive the update. Typically the update request is sent by your TV
to our server as soon as connection to the internet is established,
however it is not downloaded to your TV until the TV is powered off.

I would recommend that you leave the TV on for 15 minutes (after
connecting it to the internet) to ensure that the request for update is
sent from your TV and also received by the server, then turn the TV off
and leave it off for 15 minutes. If you turn the TV back on and you do not
receive a message informing you that your TV is updating, then you*ll need
to leave it on for another 15 minutes then off again for 15 and so on.

I do want to add that I've seen best results with a hardwire connection to
your modem/router, so if at all possible I would advise that you hardwire
your TV to your modem/router when attempting the steps I've advised above.
If you can't received your update within 48 hours, then we would need you
to call in to further troubleshoot the issue if necessary..."

Hmm, the HDTV is on more than 15 minutes almost daily. I am not going to force it on and off. That would kill the new HDTV! However, it is on wireless and its signal strength is yellow color (not green) due to the distance of the place. That should be OK?

What about you guys?
phildaant is online now  
post #553 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Jasonn B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm on wifi and got my update a week ago. Why am I the only one with the update?
phildaant likes this.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

 

Jasonn B is offline  
post #554 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phildaant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An Ant Farm
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

I'm on wifi and got my update a week ago. Why am I the only one with the update?
Maybe they're using you as a beta tester. wink.gif
phildaant is online now  
post #555 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
bigcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

I just got a re(ply/sponse) from Vizio's e-mail support about their firmware upgrades:

"... Here is a suggestion to try to get the update to go through a little
faster for you. As long as your device is connected to the internet you
will receive the update. Typically the update request is sent by your TV
to our server as soon as connection to the internet is established,
however it is not downloaded to your TV until the TV is powered off.

I would recommend that you leave the TV on for 15 minutes (after
connecting it to the internet) to ensure that the request for update is
sent from your TV and also received by the server, then turn the TV off
and leave it off for 15 minutes. If you turn the TV back on and you do not
receive a message informing you that your TV is updating, then you*ll need
to leave it on for another 15 minutes then off again for 15 and so on.

I do want to add that I've seen best results with a hardwire connection to
your modem/router, so if at all possible I would advise that you hardwire
your TV to your modem/router when attempting the steps I've advised above.
If you can't received your update within 48 hours, then we would need you
to call in to further troubleshoot the issue if necessary..."

Hmm, the HDTV is on more than 15 minutes almost daily. I am not going to force it on and off. That would kill the new HDTV! However, it is on wireless and its signal strength is yellow color (not green) due to the distance of the place. That should be OK?

What about you guys?

My TV is on a wired connection and it's off all day except during the evening when I get home from work. It hasn't picked up any updates.
phildaant likes this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
bigcat is offline  
post #556 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Member
 
hidaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No update here either........
hidaven is offline  
post #557 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Any of the owners of this set unhappy or wish they had something different?
laserjock II is online now  
post #558 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Member
 
hidaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question.......Every so often my TV is going off for a few seconds then comes back on?? It did this with the last set too.
Im def. loosing power to the set for when it comes back on im getting the info window with the internet connection etc. on top.
Any idea as to what can be causing this?? Im hooked up HDMI and its happening with the set top box, the blu ray player AND the PS3....
All components going through an Onkyo RX. Oh, and the Onkyo doesn't loose power when the TV goes down for a few seconds..... Thanks.
hidaven is offline  
post #559 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Member
 
netkrazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Any of the owners of this set unhappy or wish they had something different?

No regrets here with 80, and have had it for a few months. It replaced a mits 62" dlp...
laserjock II likes this.
netkrazed is online now  
post #560 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
PlayNice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

Question.......Every so often my TV is going off for a few seconds then comes back on?? It did this with the last set too.
Im def. loosing power to the set for when it comes back on im getting the info window with the internet connection etc. on top.
Any idea as to what can be causing this?? Im hooked up HDMI and its happening with the set top box, the blu ray player AND the PS3....
All components going through an Onkyo RX. Oh, and the Onkyo doesn't loose power when the TV goes down for a few seconds..... Thanks.

Mine did that with my old HDMI cables connected to to then I ordered new HDMI cables (from Amazon) cheap and they worked with no issues. I don't know if that was the issue but I haven't seen it do that again since I replaced the cables. Hopefully the firmware update will fix this, I feel it's a software issue not hardware.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
PlayNice is offline  
post #561 of 1228 Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
PDDUFRENE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: louisiana
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

Question.......Every so often my TV is going off for a few seconds then comes back on?? It did this with the last set too.
Im def. loosing power to the set for when it comes back on im getting the info window with the internet connection etc. on top.
Any idea as to what can be causing this?? Im hooked up HDMI and its happening with the set top box, the blu ray player AND the PS3....
All components going through an Onkyo RX. Oh, and the Onkyo doesn't loose power when the TV goes down for a few seconds..... Thanks.
It could be your receiver, Onkyo has a bad history of hdmi problems.
PDDUFRENE is offline  
post #562 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Any of the owners of this set unhappy or wish they had something different?

I asked my father today (it's his 65th birthday smile.gif). Jokingly, he said he should have gone with the Panny plasma Antonio Banderas is gawking at in Almadovar's "The Skin I Live In."
laserjock II likes this.
dad1153 is offline  
post #563 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Jasonn B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Pretty cool. This tv beats most out for input lag!

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list
laserjock II likes this.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

 

Jasonn B is offline  
post #564 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Newbie
 
renegaderon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I got my 80 inch Saturday and I love it, I have  had no problems with it. No update here either. 

laserjock II likes this.
renegaderon is offline  
post #565 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Newbie
 
windsurf3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

OK, some interesting things to add to the remote issue.  I have the M801D-A3.  LOVE IT.  Great tv, great picture.  No bluetooth which is a bit odd, but I'll figure a workaround.

 

So on to the remote.  The issue I face is the TV turns on, and then it stops responding to the remote.  No button works.  I assumed it was the remote or IR sensor.  It isn't.  After playing around for a while I've figured out two important things (like someone to verify if possible)

 

1.  If the input isn't sending a signal, this locks the sensor input. In other words, the remote won't make anything change on the TV.  Sometimes the power button will work, but that's it.  I noticed this because my remote issues seemed very intermittent.  Thought at first it was my Popbox since it happened most often on it.  Got a clue when my DirecTV receiver had the same issue.  I played around with setting the TV to different inputs, powering down, then powering up with the device on that input on or off.  Off caused issues most of the time.

 

2.  The problem eventually goes away.  If I'm patient (not very often...) it will figure it all out after 5 minutes or so.

 

Once again, if someone else with an 80 would check this out I'd appreciate it.  You can contact me at david@manoroaks.net directly.

 

Finally to the folks who are looking for mounts...  The mount I used us a U shaped piece of metal that hooks into the upper bracket.  You're supposed to screw in some bolts to fix it to the lower.  I didn't bother.  I'm able to swing it forward and gain access to the connections very easily.  I'm only swinging it forward 4" or so, so if its recessed into a wall there may be issues.

laserjock II likes this.
windsurf3d is offline  
post #566 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Member
 
netkrazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf3d View Post

OK, some interesting things to add to the remote issue.  I have the M801D-A3.  LOVE IT.  Great tv, great picture.  No bluetooth which is a bit odd, but I'll figure a workaround.

So on to the remote.  The issue I face is the TV turns on, and then it stops responding to the remote.  No button works.  I assumed it was the remote or IR sensor.  It isn't.  After playing around for a while I've figured out two important things (like someone to verify if possible)

1.  If the input isn't sending a signal, this locks the sensor input. In other words, the remote won't make anything change on the TV.  Sometimes the power button will work, but that's it.  I noticed this because my remote issues seemed very intermittent.  Thought at first it was my Popbox since it happened most often on it.  Got a clue when my DirecTV receiver had the same issue.  I played around with setting the TV to different inputs, powering down, then powering up with the device on that input on or off.  Off caused issues most of the time.

2.  The problem eventually goes away.  If I'm patient (not very often...) it will figure it all out after 5 minutes or so.

Once again, if someone else with an 80 would check this out I'd appreciate it.  You can contact me at david@manoroaks.net directly.

Finally to the folks who are looking for mounts...  The mount I used us a U shaped piece of metal that hooks into the upper bracket.  You're supposed to screw in some bolts to fix it to the lower.  I didn't bother.  I'm able to swing it forward and gain access to the connections very easily.  I'm only swinging it forward 4" or so, so if its recessed into a wall there may be issues.

Are we talking about when you use the vizio remote? No probs here with my Harmony One.
laserjock II likes this.
netkrazed is online now  
post #567 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I don't have a Vizio but I highly recommend a Harmony remote. They can be pricey and a tad bit difficult to setup (there's lots of help in that regards) but it's a rarity to find a HTS component that they won't work with (unless it is really old). I have an old Harmony 880 that is a solid performer and the Harmony One is nice upgrade to that.
netkrazed likes this.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #568 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Newbie
 
tsakuta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been looking for a good 80" led to replace a Mitsubishi 73" dlp. I really like what I've seen and read regarding the Vizio. I was in Sam's club the other day and they had the display for sale. As I walked up to take a look, they were marking it down again. I was blown away at the price. I picked it up for $1918, with the remote, 4 pair of glasses and the manual.
So far I am impressed with both 2D and 3D performance. Details on a good quality Hd program are excellent, with very minimal motion blur. At times it will almost look 3d. I haven't calibrated the settings yet. The remote is a little touchy, but not bad. Viewing angle is pretty good. I would highly recommend even at the $3000+ price, which is what I planned on originally spending.
netkrazed likes this.
tsakuta is offline  
post #569 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Jasonn B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Post a picture of that receipt for the 80" for $1,900. That's crazy.
netkrazed likes this.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

 

Jasonn B is offline  
post #570 of 1228 Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Member
 
rd7723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post

If your only 11 feet from the screen a projector is a bad choice. I'm 11 feet from the vizio and its more than enough.
Projectors are best used when you need over 100 inches and your sitting back 15 to 25 feet. I have several projectors including a Sanyo PLV 70
A Sony and JVC. They all were a PITA. You need to be careful of dust getting sucked into the unit, heat buildup, noise. Only reason why we all went that route
Is that no manufacturer made a plasma or LCD over 55 inches 10 years ago!

You had no choice but to get a projector. Now if you were 20 feet away and wanted 120 plus inches for a screen then you still have no options other than a projector.
But trust me, the ease of a big LCD panel combined with the MUCH better back lighting and vivid color is a clear choice if sitting within 15 feet. Also, consider that you need a battery backup/ surge supply fort he projector as well. If you loose power while watching a movie you need that bulb and LCD panels to cool off in the projector before powering off. If you go to complete shutdown with no cool off you will burn out a LCD panel. You have 3 I believe. Those panels are 500.00 plus to replace and are not warranted if its from a power outage. They can tell, don't ask how I know this......

Lastly, the power consumption is almost 4 times as much than the current big panels. As far as viewing distance, if you go too big a screen sitting too close, you will suffer eye fatigue and possible headaches. Why? Sitting too close to a big screen makes you scan the screen to get the full picture. This is why they recommend 1.5 times the diagonal or 2 times the height of the screen for the minimum viewing distance. This is also why hd4k is a joke as 1080p is just as clear at 12 feet viewing an 80 inch screen. OLED is a different story but my money will be on the 80 inch OleD 1080P offering. Besides, the cable companies can't even offer true HD to us anyway. 1080i and its compressed like crap, so how are they going to offer a quality signal using 4 times the bandwidth? Fiber optic source to set is the only way and that's a decade away at least.

Oh, and one more for you, don't even think of using that projector unless your in a dark room. Most current projectors are 1500 ANSI lumens and once calibrated your around 1200 or so. Not very bright, plus light will totally wash out the picture if you have ambient or reflections in the room. I had a 2200 ANSI lumen projector and it just did the job in a moderately dark room. My vizio has soooooooo much more pop as its back lit. Almost 3d like compared to a projectors picture. That semi clear glass in front of these LCD/ plasmas really make the image pop compared to the flat, matte projector image.m and be prepared to get a quality screen for that projector as well, I used a Da Lite screen fire hawk 1.0 grey to add some contrast.

These panels are rated at over 50k hours. Get one and start enjoying your favorite content. I sold over 8000.00 worth of projector/ screen equipment and got about 1000.00 for it from someone who needed it as a portable meeting solution. That's where projectors belong. Quality control issues aside, this is he best HD experience I've had in the last 10 years. If you gave me the best HD projector out there for free, I wouldn't swap it for a large LCD panel. Kinda like going back to a manual trans vs. the newer automatics. : ). Again, all of the above is just my own opinion.

Hey thank you for the response, it gives me something to think about.
rd7723 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off