post #1081 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post
Yeah, because first-posting on AVS asking for someone to spoon feed you information that's already been posted in this very thread is a much better approach that suggesting a person try to help themselves first before asking for the spoon.
There are 1080 posts on this topic. Most people who didn't read it along the way, which a first poster would not have, would not have the time to read through all that. What's the big deal with asking someone to bottom line it for them? If asked politely it's not a dick move. Worst case no one complies and no harm done. If you don't feel like answering, why not just ignore the post?
josephpearson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmiclass02 View Post
If you want 3D, buy this one. If you don't care about 3D, wait for the new model that will be fully backlit, but probably won't have 3D.
Plan to wait a long time then since Vizio isn't releasing a full backlight 80" this year. Their 2014 model is still edge-lit just like the 2013, but without 3D.

Do the original poster's question, I didn't notice anyone complaining about the developing white spots on this panel size but I can't swear I didn't miss it. It seems like that problem is very serious with the 70". Different size panels are often sourced from different manufactures so it's not unusual to find an issue affecting some panel sizes and not others.
post #1083 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
There are 1080 posts on this topic. Most people who didn't read it along the way, which a first poster would not have, would not have the time to read through all that. What's the big deal with asking someone to bottom line it for them? If asked politely it's not a dick move. Worst case no one complies and no harm done. If you don't feel like answering, why not just ignore the post?
Thanks for asking.

1) because it's lazy and seeks to put the work on everyone else, rather than the poster asking the question. That's not fair to everyone else... especially when the information may be RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Not 'having the time' (as you indicate) to read the information already posted about the product is HIS problem, not EVERYONE ELSE's... yet by posting, he's burdening EVERYONE ELSE to solve HIS time problem.

2) because a first-poster should follow generally accepted etiquette by "looking around before posting."

3) because posts like his make 1081 posts in this topic, and those who act as enablers by answering questions that have already been asked and answered make 1082, 1083, 10-zillion posts in this topic. What happens when another newbie asks the exact same question at post 1090? Do we add 1091, 1092, etc., to answer them when the info was just a few posts up? How over-bloated does the thread get when 50 people have asked the exact same question?

Sadly, it is not possible to "ignore" the content of a post, as you suggest, until you've read it... which means you can't really ignore it any more. What you're really suggesting is that I invest my energy into reading a post, process the contents, see that it offends the sensibilities I mention in 1-3 above, and then don't say anything about it... thus passively reinforcing that the "ask before bothering to read" mentality is OK, thus cluttering up the world with still more asked-and-answered questions.

What you're suggesting is that I (or anyone else) should, rather than read the information already presented to me in various easy-to-access forms, ask "How do I turn on my TV?," "What does the MENU button do?," "Does anyone have any setting suggestions?," "Are my shoes tied?" ... and so on. I am confident that the first 2 can be found in the owner's manual (which is available online in case someone doesn't have a paper copy handy), the 3rd takes a quick skim in this 1080-post thread to see several suggested settings, and the fourth is probably best suited for simpletons and/or the mega-wealthy who have plenty of servants to handle the menial stuff. Why burden everyone having to dig through repeat questions (and burden the AVS servers by sending out hundreds of subscription emails)?

As for "dick move," I've never indicated it was (and that is the FIRST time you will have ever seen me use that word on any forum on the planet... I'm quoting you). My post was intended to remind the poster (and any other potential poster who might 'have the time' to read it) that there IS etiquette in the world, and that taking a moment to educate yourself BEFORE putting that burden on everyone else is still appropriate in the Idiocracy age.

/2 cents
post #1084 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

LOL. It was a harmless 3-line post that couldn't have taken more than 5 seconds to read. You think it's lazy for the poster not to have read 1080 posts before asking a question (which in this case wouldn't have necessarily answered his question), but yet that 5 seconds you lost warrants a major rebuke and an essay following my reply about all the terrible things that post symbolized.

Then your reply to me brings up examples that have nothing to do with the post. It's classic "burst dam" logic -- if you answer any question that may be answerable elsewhere, where will it end! The horror.

Here was the original post in it's entirety:

Been browsing for a while and trying to decide on a new TV for my new house. How are the M80's holding up? Any problems (white spots etc) like the e series has had?

Thanks in advance everyone. Looking forward to being a new M series owner.

He's asking two simple questions: 1) How have the sets held up over time; 2) Are any of us experiencing the white spots issue that's been widely reported in other Vizio topics for this model year?

Perfectly reasonable questions that have not been widely discussed in this topic. Not questions that can be found in the user manual.

Believe it or not, it is perfectly reasonable to ignore something that offends your sensibilities. It's called being polite. Otherwise known as minding your own business. Sometimes referred to as, "if you don't have something useful to add, don't say anything at all." By your logic, if you see someone walking down the street wearing something you don't like, you are compelled to walk up and confront them because you can't "un-see" it and they broke whatever etiquette you decided should be enforced on everyone.
Alan P likes this.
post #1085 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For the last several months, I've been having issues with the TV not turning on. I would have to unplug and plug it back in to turn it on (it is wall mounted, so this is a pain). Today I had the same issue, however when I turned it on, the remote was non responsive. I have the factory remote using wifi, and a universal using ir and neither did anything. I called support and the end result is the mainboard is malfunctioning. The support rep said they don't make replacement parts, so I'll be getting an entirely new unit.

Just wanted to let people know in case they are running into similar issues.
post #1086 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post
For the last several months, I've been having issues with the TV not turning on. I would have to unplug and plug it back in to turn it on (it is wall mounted, so this is a pain). Today I had the same issue, however when I turned it on, the remote was non responsive. I have the factory remote using wifi, and a universal using ir and neither did anything. I called support and the end result is the mainboard is malfunctioning. The support rep said they don't make replacement parts, so I'll be getting an entirely new unit.

Just wanted to let people know in case they are running into similar issues.
When you say it won't turn on, is that just using the remote or even if you use the physical button hidden behind the lower left side of the rear of the panel?

I have only had mine set for several weeks but the remote is pathetic. Constantly stops working at random times. When it does, it won't do anything including turn on or off the set. Usually I have to pull the batteries let it cool for a few seconds then reinsert and it works after that. If I commit to keeping the set I'll definitely take it up with Vizio. But from reading other threads it sounds like remote issues are fairly common with these models.
post #1087 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
...major rebuke and an essay...
The depth and complexity of my thought process need not be considered an essay just because it might overwhelm you.

Quote:
Then your reply to me brings up examples that have nothing to do with the post. It's classic "burst dam" logic -- if you answer any question that may be answerable elsewhere, where will it end! The horror.
The word you're desperately searching for is 'analogy.' As for "classic 'burst dam' logic" ... it seems you may have missed class more than once.

Where have the white spots been "widely reported?" Oh, in forum threads such as this? Well, then... how about reading this thread and seeing if it has been "widely reported" here? Seems like a really easy way to get an answer to a question without asking others to do the work for you. Have you ever seen the now cliche www.lmgtfy.com? It's not a search engine tool... it's a rebuke (since you used the word, I'll assume you understand it) against people who are too lazy to do their own leg work.

Quote:
Believe it or not, it is perfectly reasonable to ignore something that offends your sensibilities. It's called being polite. Otherwise known as minding your own business. Sometimes referred to as, "if you don't have something useful to add, don't say anything at all." By your logic, if you see someone walking down the street wearing something you don't like, you are compelled to walk up and confront them because you can't "un-see" it and they broke whatever etiquette you decided should be enforced on everyone.
There was no compulsion to call out the first-poster's laziness... it's called being helpful (both to let the user know the info they are looking for might actually already be in the thread they haven't bothered reading, and by reminding them that etiquette isn't such a bad thing, especially when a lack of it imposes far more weightily on others-- this wasn't about me not liking someone's clothing/writing style.). To take your absurd logical leaps one step further (since they are indeed leaps and they are headed this direction anyway), I guess if I see a guy driving a white van without license plates, that smells of diesel fuel, and is headed into a parking garage near a government building I should just "mind my own business" instead of raising a concern.

You get to have whatever opinion you want. Guess what... so do I. If you find mine utterly abhorrent, block me from your view as I am about to with you (so you too can "mind your own business," since that's your suggestion to me and the other 200 people subscribed to the thread.). It's easy for you to give advice (even if lacking logic); maybe you should follow it as well. Adios.

/another 2 cents (that's 4 in total)
post #1088 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Question

Quote:
When you say it won't turn on, is that just using the remote or even if you use the physical button hidden behind the lower left side of the rear of the panel?

I have only had mine set for several weeks but the remote is pathetic. Constantly stops working at random times. When it does, it won't do anything including turn on or off the set. Usually I have to pull the batteries let it cool for a few seconds then reinsert and it works after that. If I commit to keeping the set I'll definitely take it up with Vizio. But from reading other threads it sounds like remote issues are fairly common with these models.
What versions are these HDTV running at for their firmwares? I remember before v1.09(?), RC was awful and you had to aim to the bottom left corner of the HDTV. With v1.09, this was fixed, we could aim anywhere and still works. Even in reversed (pointed at myself).
post #1089 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post
The depth and complexity of my thought process need not be considered an essay just because it might overwhelm you.

The word you're desperately searching for is 'analogy.' As for "classic 'burst dam' logic" ... it seems you may have missed class more than once.

Where have the white spots been "widely reported?" Oh, in forum threads such as this? Well, then... how about reading this thread and seeing if it has been "widely reported" here? Seems like a really easy way to get an answer to a question without asking others to do the work for you. Have you ever seen the now cliche www.lmgtfy.com? It's not a search engine tool... it's a rebuke (since you used the word, I'll assume you understand it) against people who are too lazy to do their own leg work.

There was no compulsion to call out the first-poster's laziness... it's called being helpful (both to let the user know the info they are looking for might actually already be in the thread they haven't bothered reading, and by reminding them that etiquette isn't such a bad thing, especially when a lack of it imposes far more weightily on others-- this wasn't about me not liking someone's clothing/writing style.). To take your absurd logical leaps one step further (since they are indeed leaps and they are headed this direction anyway), I guess if I see a guy driving a white van without license plates, that smells of diesel fuel, and is headed into a parking garage near a government building I should just "mind my own business" instead of raising a concern.

You get to have whatever opinion you want. Guess what... so do I. If you find mine utterly abhorrent, block me from your view as I am about to with you (so you too can "mind your own business," since that's your suggestion to me and the other 200 people subscribed to the thread.). It's easy for you to give advice (even if lacking logic); maybe you should follow it as well. Adios.

/another 2 cents (that's 4 in total)
When you lack any coherent response, resort to simple insults. Whatever.

Funny that you're actually characterizing your hostile reply to the original poster as helpful. And sad that you would compare your compulsion to criticize him for daring to ask a question as similar to reporting a possible terrorist.

I'll let our posts speak for themselves and the community can decide which is more constructive and helpful.
Alan P likes this.
post #1090 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
What versions are these HDTV running at for their firmwares? I remember before v1.09(?), RC was awful and you had to aim to the bottom left corner of the HDTV. With v1.09, this was fixed, we could aim anywhere and still works. Even in reversed (pointed at myself).
Mine is 1.35. And when it fails you can hold it directly in front of the IR sensor and it makes no difference. When it fails, it won't even control the devices other than the TV that it's setup to handle. Every single button is dead until the battery reset. I would say it's never lasted more than 90 minutes of use without needing a battery reset and there's a 1-5 chance you need to do a reset right away when picking it up after inactivity.
phildaant likes this.
post #1091 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mine is 1.35. And when it fails you can hold it directly in front of the IR sensor and it makes no difference. When it fails, it won't even control the devices other than the TV that it's setup to handle. Every single button is dead until the battery reset. I would say it's never lasted more than 90 minutes of use without needing a battery reset and there's a 1-5 chance you need to do a reset right away when picking it up after inactivity.
I wonder if v1.35 is buggy compared to previous versions.
post #1092 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Sorry, forgot to mention, the button in the rear doesn't turn the tv on or off either.
post #1093 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if v1.35 is buggy compared to previous versions.
Or I just got a bad remote. Too soon to tell.
post #1094 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention, the button in the rear doesn't turn the tv on or off either.
That sounds defected to me. You already tried pulling its power plug too?
post #1095 of 1556 Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 PM

Liked: 15
My remote pulled this crap for the first time the other day too. Stopped working all together. Had to look up the manual to find the power button for the TV. Turned the TV off via the power button on the back. Next time I turned it on, remote worked again.

That was the first time for that issue, but the remote pretty much sucks. I have to press the off button twice, about 5 seconds apart, to get it to turn off. I also have to hit menu multiple times before it will process that request. But the just plain not working was a new issue that has only just started.
post #1096 of 1556 Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A couple things.

On the top of being spoon fed about information.. I agree and I do read through the threads and the whole internet for that matter to find my information.

However I think his question was relevant since it had to do with the CURRENT state of the TV and asking people who had had their sets since whenever to now.. I wouldn't mind knowing problems people may have today, they didn't have 4 months ago with new firmware or just general longevity of the set.

Also, the remote issues people have, remember it's connected to wifi, so if you have any wifi disruptions the wifi may not function properly (however the pointing in the left corner should still work).

Lastly, the people that post here are the die hard video enthusiasts. The majority of people that have the sets are unable to answer the question about the TV's. Of course check amazon reviews and such..

I got my M801D for $3000 and I absolutely love it.. I've had no issues other than having to call Vizio to get the firmware sent to me. My picture wasn't crap outta the box, just really bright.. I was able to get it perfect with the Disney WOW calibration disk, no $1000 needed for pro calibration.

I love having the 3D it's just fun to use once in a while.. I have people over and show them and they all say WOW out loud

The only issue probably everyone faces is if you aren't directly in front of the TV you might get some wash out.. I sit in my recliner about 45 degrees to the side (yes it's extreme) and the picture just gets a little brighter.. No biggie as it still looks better than my old mitsubish 73" dlp.

Happy 4th of July weekened everyone
phildaant and josephpearson like this.
post #1097 of 1556 Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have additional questions about how to get the firmware updated. I probably should just call V but it's my understanding the TV does not need to be full power ON to get this. So, even if I'm wireless? This 'wakeup' from V can get thru my router/firewall/11n security? I'm no expert so is this possible? Is hardwired required? Sure would like to wake up one morning and see this update installed rather then calling Vizio. Any comments welcomed.
post #1098 of 1556 Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
I have additional questions about how to get the firmware updated. I probably should just call V but it's my understanding the TV does not need to be full power ON to get this. So, even if I'm wireless? This 'wakeup' from V can get thru my router/firewall/11n security? I'm no expert so is this possible? Is hardwired required? Sure would like to wake up one morning and see this update installed rather then calling Vizio. Any comments welcomed.
My parents' HDTV is wireless only and it took months to get v1.09 firmware. I don't know if they have the later versions, but it does come. Just slowly and can't be downloaded on demand. People say it is based by serial numbers.
post #1099 of 1556 Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Just got the 1.34. It was perfect bc I was mounting the TV on the wall and as I finished and turned it back on it had already installed. Thanks Playnice. I entered your settings and love the picture now. Best 2900.00 I've ever spent.
post #1100 of 1556 Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
If you are seeing a heavy redish tint on startup you have far too much red push in your image. Upon startup the screen is displaying some sort of low end greyscale image at about 100% backlight. You should see a grey screen not reddish, greenish or blueish. I understand you are trying to wait for the firmware update prior to doing a calibration however I would recommend uou do one now as your image quality is off.

This series itself had a redish push so if in tammed it can get out of control, LoL
Since all my picture settings were unchanged from the 'calibrated' initial setting and I still got the reddish startup screen I factory reset the unit and since then I now get a greenish/yellowish tint to the startup screen and first 20 seconds of video. After about 20 seconds the picture changes and looks much more balanced. Very strange. Color and tint are both set at neutral (calibrated setting). I sure wish I could get this new firmware ver so I could do some calibrations.
post #1101 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Second Calibration graphs

Here are the graphs from my second calibration settings FYI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Second cal CMS.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	146369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second GS cal.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	146377  

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #1102 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Well it might be coincidence but yesterday I temporarily hardwired the TV to my network and I woke up this morning to version 1.34.
post #1103 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I also got the update yesterday to 1.34 but if I turn the tv off and turn it back on again it goe sto default standard pic setting mode, instead of what I had selected. Is anyone else also having this issue?
post #1104 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I also got the update yesterday to 1.34 but if I turn the tv off and turn it back on again it goe sto default standard pic setting mode, instead of what I had selected. Is anyone else also having this issue?
After the first power cycle I had some strange things happen. Wrong time displayed, standard picture settings, big lag in menu behavior, etc. but since that first power on it has stabilized and seems to be working normally. Fingers crossed.
post #1105 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Qustion about to buy new tv this month between a Sony 65 in 4k or the vizio 80 in . How is the game lag on the 80 ? Only saw one post about it . Any advice thanks guys
post #1106 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Qustion about to buy new tv this month between a Sony 65 in 4k or the vizio 80 in . How is the game lag on the 80 ? Only saw one post about it . Any advice thanks guys
I haven't measured the lag time so I can't speak to it, sorry. But I am curious that you are deciding between to VERY different screen sizes. That's like saying you are either getting and SUV or a convertible. What screen size are you coming from now? How important is 4K to you -- do you have games that can output in 4K and will that be one of your primary uses for the set?
post #1107 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I haven't measured the lag time so I can't speak to it, sorry. But I am curious that you are deciding between to VERY different screen sizes. That's like saying you are either getting and SUV or a convertible. What screen size are you coming from now? How important is 4K to you -- do you have games that can output in 4K and will that be one of your primary uses for the set?
We'll it's more of a quality over size I guess . Read a lot of bad horror stories and a lot of good on the vizio . Currently have a sharp 60 last 3 years. Have a full sound system . Watch movies , game and sports . The 80 looks awesome but can't see it in person
Alan Lackey likes this.
post #1108 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
We'll it's more of a quality over size I guess . Read a lot of bad horror stories and a lot of good on the vizio . Currently have a sharp 60 last 3 years. Have a full sound system . Watch movies , game and sports . The 80 looks awesome but can't see it in person
None of the local stores, like Costco, have it?
post #1109 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
None of the local stores, like Costco, have it?
Negative all have to get shipped . I've seen the 70 and I like it not a fan of the base . And finding it hard to find a good stand that will support it since it's so heavy . Between 70in sharp q plus , samsung 75in , 65 Sony 4k and this baby . Just is a lot of money and want to be happy. Seems to be more positive then negative In this thread
phildaant likes this.
post #1110 of 1556 Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Negative all have to get shipped . I've seen the 70 and I like it not a fan of the base . And finding it hard to find a good stand that will support it since it's so heavy . Between 70in sharp q plus , samsung 75in , 65 Sony 4k and this baby . Just is a lot of money and want to be happy. Seems to be more positive then negative In this thread
Bummer. Maybe someone near you has one already to show?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page