Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 1334 Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Bummer. Maybe someone near you has one already to show?
Nope that's why looking for advice from people who have been in my shoes
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1334 Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've had mine since November and am very satisfied. I got this stand: http://www.bizchair.com/tpt83g29-inv.html and it has worked well

Last edited by josephpearson; 07-03-2014 at 02:40 PM.
post #1113 of 1334 Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post
I've had mine since November and am very satisfied. I got this stand: http://www.bizchair.com/tpt83g29-inv.html and it has worked well

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Joe/Desktop/Desktop%20Stuff/Flag%20Photos/DSC01779.JPG[/IMG]
Um, we view your computer's image. Please upload it.
post #1114 of 1334 Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 PM

So if you had the choices I presents would you do the 80 every time ?
post #1115 of 1334 Old 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM

Still learning the new interface. I got it corrected.
post #1116 of 1334 Old 07-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
So if you had the choices I presents would you do the 80 every time ?
For me, it was the best combination of price and picture. My living room is 16 feet across and with my chair a couple feet from one wall and the stand putting the tv about a 1-1.5 feet from the wall, I've got a very good picture with a good deal of immersion (sometimes when my wife's away I'll have my son and grandson over and we'll scoot in a couple of feet). At my distance the 4k benefit is small and the size factor means more to me. If I was 8 feet from the screen, I might feel differently. Every choice involves tradeoffs. Good luck.
post #1117 of 1334 Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Since all my picture settings were unchanged from the 'calibrated' initial setting and I still got the reddish startup screen I factory reset the unit and since then I now get a greenish/yellowish tint to the startup screen and first 20 seconds of video. After about 20 seconds the picture changes and looks much more balanced. Very strange. Color and tint are both set at neutral (calibrated setting). I sure wish I could get this new firmware ver so I could do some calibrations.
With 1.08 I had No initial calibration color changes.. However after 1.34 came out I "sometimes" get the green calibration for about 15 seconds or so then goes away... But never happened with the older firmware.
post #1118 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had this set for 2.5 weeks now, and have actually read through all 1117 posts to see if anyone has posted about a problem I've had - a subtle constant flickering in the picture. I saw one post that mentioned it and that set was replaced. Mine is being replaced as well, with the new set arriving next week.

Having said that I will say my initial impressions of this set are pretty positive. The picture out of the box was pretty frightening, but I did a quick calibration with one of the several calibration settings that have been posted here, and got a more than reasonable picture. I'm coming from an Epson 5010 projector and a 120" screen, and the clarity of this picture is much better.

One thing I've done is use a Darbee Darblet visual engine, and for those who haven't experienced one, the difference in picture quality is pretty significant.

I also wanted to comment on viewing distances. Based on THX recommendations, we sat 12' from our 120" screen, to get their recommended viewing angle. In moving into a new house, with a smaller Media room, we decided to try a viewing distance of 8' from this 80" screen, to maintain the same viewing angle. That has worked just fine, with no visible pixels, at least with the Darbee.

So my fingers are crossed that the new set will work without issue. If so we will be quite happy, at least until we can get an 80" 4K OLED set for $3K!
post #1119 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1254 View Post
I've had this set for 2.5 weeks now, and have actually read through all 1117 posts to see if anyone has posted about a problem I've had - a subtle constant flickering in the picture. I saw one post that mentioned it and that set was replaced. Mine is being replaced as well, with the new set arriving next week.

Having said that I will say my initial impressions of this set are pretty positive. The picture out of the box was pretty frightening, but I did a quick calibration with one of the several calibration settings that have been posted here, and got a more than reasonable picture. I'm coming from an Epson 5010 projector and a 120" screen, and the clarity of this picture is much better.

One thing I've done is use a Darbee Darblet visual engine, and for those who haven't experienced one, the difference in picture quality is pretty significant.

I also wanted to comment on viewing distances. Based on THX recommendations, we sat 12' from our 120" screen, to get their recommended viewing angle. In moving into a new house, with a smaller Media room, we decided to try a viewing distance of 8' from this 80" screen, to maintain the same viewing angle. That has worked just fine, with no visible pixels, at least with the Darbee.

So my fingers are crossed that the new set will work without issue. If so we will be quite happy, at least until we can get an 80" 4K OLED set for $3K!
So 80 vizio over 75 samsung ?
post #1120 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Location of IR sensor??

Can someone please tell me exactly where the IR sensor is on the TV panel - I want to add an extender emitter, but don't know where to stick it.

Thanks
phildaant likes this.
post #1121 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imster View Post
Can someone please tell me exactly where the IR sensor is on the TV panel - I want to add an extender emitter, but don't know where to stick it...
I remember having to aim bottom left corner when using firmware v1.09.
post #1122 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Can someone please tell me exactly where the IR sensor is on the TV panel - I want to add an extender emitter, but don't know where to stick it.

Thanks
The only picture in the user manual. Hope the picture can be seen. Can't seem to get the image to display in the msg body.
If I were to guess I'd say the ir sensor is a part of the light. I have mine set to light up whenever the TV is powered on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IRsensor.JPG (31.2 KB, 14 views)
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by rotohead; 07-04-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Typo and added comment
post #1123 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
The only picture in the user manual. Hope the picture can be seen. Can't seem to get the image to display in the msg body.
If I were to guess I'd say the ir sensor is a part of the light. I have mine set to light up whenever the TV is powered on.
That is what I thought, but cant find a way to check - tried covering with tape (blue painter) and it didn't make much difference. Perhaps not opaque enough??

The IR emitter is tiny, so placement will need to be correct.
phildaant likes this.
post #1124 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1254 View Post

I have a Darbee and two other video processors Marvell QDEO and HQV Vida and I would say yes video processors on this TV do improve the PQ, however without it's still a good image.
post #1125 of 1334 Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
The IR emitter is tiny, so placement will need to be correct.
Didn't the newer firmwares fixed this issue?
post #1126 of 1334 Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I just want to say I still am in love with this TV.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #1127 of 1334 Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
With 1.08 I had No initial calibration color changes.. However after 1.34 came out I "sometimes" get the green calibration for about 15 seconds or so then goes away... But never happened with the older firmware.
Same here. Only since the new firmware. About 10 seconds then color is normal.
post #1128 of 1334 Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Groovy, my parents' HDTV has v1.34 firmware when I checked earlier today. That didn't take long like getting v1.09.
post #1129 of 1334 Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Same here. Only since the new firmware. About 10 seconds then color is normal.
I determined the cause of this issue on my TV. My tint was set for -1 on a custom profile. If I set to 0 the TV boots to normal colors every time. The minute I set the tint to -1 the TV boots up to slight green tint for about 10 seconds then returns to normal color. Strange for sure. Not sure what to make of it. At the moment i am leaving it on -1 to see if anything else weird happens. This issue only came to light after the update to firmware 1.34. I do not believe it is a hardware issue as I hope Vizio will correct with next update. The TV was fine with firmware 1.25.

Last edited by blackssr; 07-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.
post #1130 of 1334 Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 PM

Liked: 13
Came home from a week long vacation & my firmware was updated from 1.25 to 1.34.
My calibration settings were not erased. It would be nice to know what enhancements/fixes were included in all of the firmware updates to this point.
This TV sure is nice. My parents have a old 46 DLP Samsung w/ a fading lamp..
phildaant likes this.
post #1131 of 1334 Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post
Came home from a week long vacation & my firmware was updated from 1.25 to 1.34.
My calibration settings were not erased. It would be nice to know what enhancements/fixes were included in all of the firmware updates to this point.
This TV sure is nice. My parents have a old 46 DLP Samsung w/ a fading lamp..
It would be nice if Vizio had a release notes link but since they control firmware access I don't see them changing the way they do things.
I've had this tv for a month. Went from 1.30 to 1.34 and didn't notice any additional features but I did notice a significant improvement how the remote functions and overall stability. Not as many freezes and more responsive overall. I use a Harmony Ultimate system and it has worked well along with the Vizio remote. One IR and one wifi.
phildaant likes this.
post #1132 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got the 80" M from Costco about a month ago for the living room, but I am not sure if I want to keep it or return it. I have a 3 year old 55" LG in the bedroom and I now understand how good the LG wand type remote is its so easy to navigate around and type things.

The LG also has a nice POP to its picture and I tried a few of the settings shared here and find that I like more pop and the settings here are a little muted for my taste. The seating distance is about 16 feet and I don't think I can afford the sharp 80 so it will be either a size downgrade or keep this tv.

The lack of codec support to play mkv files through usb is also very annoying.

Anyone has settings that make the pictures pop?
post #1133 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I got the 80" M from Costco about a month ago for the living room, but I am not sure if I want to keep it or return it. I have a 3 year old 55" LG in the bedroom and I now understand how good the LG wand type remote is its so easy to navigate around and type things.

The LG also has a nice POP to its picture and I tried a few of the settings shared here and find that I like more pop and the settings here are a little muted for my taste. The seating distance is about 16 feet and I don't think I can afford the sharp 80 so it will be either a size downgrade or keep this tv.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Got it from Costco about a month ago because of the 3 month return period to see if I could love it or would need to shell out much more for one of the Sony, Samsung, LG or Panasonic 4K sets in this size range. I have not seen "pop" from the picture either, despite trying most of the posted settings here. It's not bad, it's just meh. I have the additional problem of coming from 65" plasma sets which I still use in other rooms. And by comparison, I just can't get comfortable with the picture so far. When I view my plasmas I feel like I am seeing a smaller version of what I saw in the theater. When I view the Vizio I feel like I am seeing a more washed out version that was re-shot with video cameras (and this is true even with the motion enhancement and other processing effects set to Low or Off -- though with off motion is really bad with this set). For native (i.e. not movies) TV content and animation, the sharpness of the LCD is an improvement. But for movies or high end shows shoot to look like movies -- i.e. everything on HBO, etc. -- it's distracting. Perhaps it wouldn't have been if I hadn't been used to plasma, but I am.

The "pop" you are talking about is a bit of a different, but related issue. It is really a collective function of how good the black levels are (which improves contrast which contributes to the perception of "pop", and how accurate the colors are -- though pop can also be achieved through overly saturated colors too). Neither of these is a strong suit of this Vizio.

My problem though is I am not sure how much better the far more expensive sets will be for me or if my issue is having been spoiled by plasma. And since it takes calibration to really know, I'm not sure seeing demos in the store will really answer that. I am reluctant to give the Vizio up -- I really like the UI, the amount of picture customization settings, my screen doesn't have any major light bleeding issues, no banding etc. -- to play the panel lottery with the other brands, all of which seem hit and miss on whether you get a good panel or bad panel.

So really undecided. I have another couple months so I probably will live with it another month before making any decisions. Good luck with yours.

Last edited by Citivas; 07-09-2014 at 06:18 AM.
post #1134 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

You can stream mkv withtvmobili

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #1135 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
You can stream mkv withtvmobili
Jasonn,
What cal settings are you using?
I'm still on the fence about buying this set but see where you're happy with yours.
post #1136 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Calibrated dark, with brightness up a little. Also, remember, most cable boxes can't do full 1080p. If you want to experience it really good, blurray quality.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #1137 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Liked: 13
In 2000, I bought a 43' Toshiba. It wasn't HD so in 2003 I upgraded to a Mits 65611. Beautiful picture but sure was big (340 lbs). It died in May of 2009 so I got a Mits 73737. I really have enjoyed this set & now have it in my cave. This May I talked my wife into letting me get the M801d. I was on the fence for the 1st couple of weeks but I think the combination of getting used to the size of the TV & using PlayNice's settings back in post 1062 have made me very happy. I have noticed that because the TV is so large, if you have a mediocre satellite feed (I have Direct TV), the imperfections are magnified. Where this TV really shines is watching blue-ray movies although I have been quite pleased while watching the World Cup on ABC/ESPN.
The bottom line for me is that this is the best bang for the buck that I see out there. My room has too much light for a projector & I had a hard enough time convincing my wife to spend $3000 on this
post #1138 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post
In 2000, I bought a 43' Toshiba. It wasn't HD so in 2003 I upgraded to a Mits 65611. Beautiful picture but sure was big (340 lbs). It died in May of 2009 so I got a Mits 73737. I really have enjoyed this set & now have it in my cave. This May I talked my wife into letting me get the M801d. I was on the fence for the 1st couple of weeks but I think the combination of getting used to the size of the TV & using PlayNice's settings back in post 1062 have made me very happy. I have noticed that because the TV is so large, if you have a mediocre satellite feed (I have Direct TV), the imperfections are magnified. Where this TV really shines is watching blue-ray movies although I have been quite pleased while watching the World Cup on ABC/ESPN.
The bottom line for me is that this is the best bang for the buck that I see out there. My room has too much light for a projector & I had a hard enough time convincing my wife to spend $3000 on this
Any 3D and if so, thoughts on it?
post #1139 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Any 3D and if so, thoughts on it?
I've done numerous 3D blu-rays from my Oppo 103D player (Gravity, the latest Hobbit movie, Titanic, etc.). Meh. To me, I really notice the vertical resolution loss. Gravity just didn't look as impressive as it did on my active 3D plasma set. But others in my household weren't as picky -- they still prefer seeing it in half-resolution passive on 80" to the headache-inducing active 3d on our 65" plasma.
post #1140 of 1334 Old 07-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Had this Vizio for over a month now and finally got firmware 1.34. Calibrated it using the Disney WOW disc. I get my signal from Directv, watch mostly live sports in HD, premium movie channels and bluray. I also have a five year old Panasonic 60" plasma and a 60" Samsung plasma. Other then the off center viewing difference between plasma and LED I'm quite impressed with this mammoth tv for the price. The Panasonic has always been a excellent picture but I'm keeping this Vizio with no regrets. Bluray is outstanding and even streaming Netflix via the app is almost just as good. Of course Netfix quality will hinge on the internet speed (I have Charter cable modem testing at 40Mbps) and the app loads fast and functions smoothly most of the time. Amazon Prime is about the same as Netflix. My neighbor has a 60" Sony 4k and he impressed with the Vizio too. If he could do it over again he'd go with the Vizio and save a couple grand. Looking forward to football season.
phildaant likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page