Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1141 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Member
 
innuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anacortes, Wa
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is the 1st TV that I've watched 3D on so I'm no expert but I thought Avatar & 300 Rise of Empires looked pretty good.
I should also clarify that I don't have a problem w/ Direct TV, just that it seems that some channels look better than others & that's probably the case w/ all cable/sat. providers.
innuss is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1142 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post
This is the 1st TV that I've watched 3D on so I'm no expert but I thought Avatar & 300 Rise of Empires looked pretty good.
I should also clarify that I don't have a problem w/ Direct TV, just that it seems that some channels look better than others & that's probably the case w/ all cable/sat. providers.
Yeah, the HD quality coming from the channel providers varying tremendously. And of course some DirecTV channels are still SD.
phildaant likes this.
Citivas is offline  
post #1143 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Member
 
labboypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Buckle Belt
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post
In 2000, I bought a 43' Toshiba. It wasn't HD so in 2003 I upgraded to a Mits 65611. Beautiful picture but sure was big (340 lbs). It died in May of 2009 so I got a Mits 73737. I really have enjoyed this set & now have it in my cave. This May I talked my wife into letting me get the M801d.
We may have been separated at birth. I had the Toshiba 43H70, then a Mitsu 65315, then a Mitsu 73727, which was replaced by the Vizio M801d-A3. I rid myself of the Vizio (see previous posts in this thread). So, want to know what your next TV purchase will be?
labboypro is offline  
post #1144 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Member
 
josephpearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post
We may have been separated at birth. I had the Toshiba 43H70, then a Mitsu 65315, then a Mitsu 73727, which was replaced by the Vizio M801d-A3. I rid myself of the Vizio (see previous posts in this thread). So, want to know what your next TV purchase will be?
I had a Hitachi 50" CRT RPTV (don't remember the model number) for nine years, then a Mits 65413 for ten years (great picture after the glare screen was removed and a little adjustment) and now I'm the very pleased owner of the M801d. When I'm ready to replace it, hopefully we'll have glasses free 3D 8k OLED available in the 90 to 100 inch range at about the same price point (or, more likely, we'll all have inexpensive and comfortable VR headsets by then).
josephpearson is online now  
post #1145 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Member
 
innuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anacortes, Wa
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smile

I can't see myself getting a smaller TV. My original plan was to get the Mits 92 DLP but sadly they are out of the TV business.
I'll probably do what Joseph is going to do. I have just enough room for a 90. That would probably be a awfully tough sale w/ the wife though. Maybe I'll go to a 84. It will have to below $4g or I'll never get the all clear sign.
Hopefully this Vizio will last 5 or 6 years.
innuss is online now  
post #1146 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Member
 
josephpearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuss View Post
I can't see myself getting a smaller TV. My original plan was to get the Mits 92 DLP but sadly they are out of the TV business.
I'll probably do what Joseph is going to do. I have just enough room for a 90. That would probably be a awfully tough sale w/ the wife though. Maybe I'll go to a 84. It will have to below $4g or I'll never get the all clear sign.
Hopefully this Vizio will last 5 or 6 years.
It's amazing how rapidly larger becomes the new normal. When my wife and I married in 1973 (we both robbed the cradle), we streeeetched our budget to buy an 18" Magnavox for a little over $200. Today you can get a Vizio 60" fald for less money (adjusted for inflation).
josephpearson is online now  
post #1147 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post
We may have been separated at birth. I had the Toshiba 43H70, then a Mitsu 65315, then a Mitsu 73727, which was replaced by the Vizio M801d-A3. I rid myself of the Vizio (see previous posts in this thread). So, want to know what your next TV purchase will be?
Did your Sharp get replaced?
I was following that thread and thought I saw you had a line going through right side of screen or something.
Never saw a resolution post.
laserjock II is online now  
post #1148 of 1152 Old 07-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Member
 
labboypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Buckle Belt
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Never saw a resolution post.
No resolution yet. It hasn't recurred since the day I posted. I've already talked to Sharp, and they said to let them know if it comes back. We'll see.
labboypro is offline  
post #1149 of 1152 Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Got it from Costco about a month ago because of the 3 month return period to see if I could love it or would need to shell out much more for one of the Sony, Samsung, LG or Panasonic 4K sets in this size range. I have not seen "pop" from the picture either, despite trying most of the posted settings here. It's not bad, it's just meh. I have the additional problem of coming from 65" plasma sets which I still use in other rooms. And by comparison, I just can't get comfortable with the picture so far. When I view my plasmas I feel like I am seeing a smaller version of what I saw in the theater. When I view the Vizio I feel like I am seeing a more washed out version that was re-shot with video cameras (and this is true even with the motion enhancement and other processing effects set to Low or Off -- though with off motion is really bad with this set). For native (i.e. not movies) TV content and animation, the sharpness of the LCD is an improvement. But for movies or high end shows shoot to look like movies -- i.e. everything on HBO, etc. -- it's distracting. Perhaps it wouldn't have been if I hadn't been used to plasma, but I am.

The "pop" you are talking about is a bit of a different, but related issue. It is really a collective function of how good the black levels are (which improves contrast which contributes to the perception of "pop", and how accurate the colors are -- though pop can also be achieved through overly saturated colors too). Neither of these is a strong suit of this Vizio.

My problem though is I am not sure how much better the far more expensive sets will be for me or if my issue is having been spoiled by plasma. And since it takes calibration to really know, I'm not sure seeing demos in the store will really answer that. I am reluctant to give the Vizio up -- I really like the UI, the amount of picture customization settings, my screen doesn't have any major light bleeding issues, no banding etc. -- to play the panel lottery with the other brands, all of which seem hit and miss on whether you get a good panel or bad panel.

So really undecided. I have another couple months so I probably will live with it another month before making any decisions. Good luck with yours.

I am glad that someone else also shares the same concerns. Its been a month but now I feel that I am used to the 80" that I don't know if i will be able to go down to a 70" the next alternative is the 75 inch samsung from costco but is only 200 less and does not have 240hrtz or 3d, so this vizio 80" is a good bang for the buck, but don't know if I can live with the issues that are popping up.

Now i have a lip sync issue, the frustration is that i have a vizio sound bar and i though they would play nice with each other but every time i turn the tv on , i have to turn the sound bar off and switch back on to adjust the lip sync issue, can someone recommend how to fix this?

Also, i may not be using the right picture settings, someone care to share some setting for for the updated firmware 1.34 version.

Also, you are right it feel washed out, I want to watch stuff on this tv but i keep going to my bedroom to watch on my lg.

I even tried to put the setting that i have on my lg to see if that makes any difference, i know i know different tv so that would not work.

does this have an IPS panel?

if you were to return this, which other tv are you considering (model no.)
sid369 is offline  
post #1150 of 1152 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I am glad that someone else also shares the same concerns. Its been a month but now I feel that I am used to the 80" that I don't know if i will be able to go down to a 70" the next alternative is the 75 inch samsung from costco but is only 200 less and does not have 240hrtz or 3d, so this vizio 80" is a good bang for the buck, but don't know if I can live with the issues that are popping up.

Now i have a lip sync issue, the frustration is that i have a vizio sound bar and i though they would play nice with each other but every time i turn the tv on , i have to turn the sound bar off and switch back on to adjust the lip sync issue, can someone recommend how to fix this?

Also, i may not be using the right picture settings, someone care to share some setting for for the updated firmware 1.34 version.

Also, you are right it feel washed out, I want to watch stuff on this tv but i keep going to my bedroom to watch on my lg.

I even tried to put the setting that i have on my lg to see if that makes any difference, i know i know different tv so that would not work.

does this have an IPS panel?

if you were to return this, which other tv are you considering (model no.)
The top contender I am considering if I don't keep this is the Sony 79" 900B. Just hitting stores now. It's a massive cost upgrade from the Vizio though. A 4K set. Also considering the 4K sets from the Samsung (HU9000, curved screen) 78", and 79" LG UB9800. All of these will cost more than double the Vizio. I am not really interested in the TV's in the same price range of the Vizio. There's really just the Sharp's, both the 1080P 650 and the new UQ17 that will run you $4-5K depending on where you get it. That one is pseudo 4K.

I don't know whether the Vizio is an IPS panel. Since it uses passive 3D it may be. Viewing angles also see okay, which is typical of an IPS. But IPS panels always have a reputation for color accuracy which is not the strong suit of this Vizio.
Citivas is offline  
post #1151 of 1152 Old Today, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
sid369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
The top contender I am considering if I don't keep this is the Sony 79" 900B. Just hitting stores now. It's a massive cost upgrade from the Vizio though. A 4K set. Also considering the 4K sets from the Samsung (HU9000, curved screen) 78", and 79" LG UB9800. All of these will cost more than double the Vizio. I am not really interested in the TV's in the same price range of the Vizio. There's really just the Sharp's, both the 1080P 650 and the new UQ17 that will run you $4-5K depending on where you get it. That one is pseudo 4K.

I don't know whether the Vizio is an IPS panel. Since it uses passive 3D it may be. Viewing angles also see okay, which is typical of an IPS. But IPS panels always have a reputation for color accuracy which is not the strong suit of this Vizio.
Those 4k sets at that price range is out of my budget, I was able to get rid of the lip-sync issue by using the Game pic setting.

I will go out and check a few other tv, I am kinda biased towards the LG, just because of how easy it is to use the remote, the different types of codecs that they support (mkv etc) and the pic quality overall, I think the vizio is not bad at all for the price, but i need to find the right setting to get that little pop.

Do most of you use cool, computer or normal color temperature?
sid369 is offline  
post #1152 of 1152 Old Today, 07:09 AM
Member
 
josephpearson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Normal. If you haven't tried them, there are several postings in this forum and in the M series razor forum by people who have used various tools to adjust their sets in the 1.34 firmware. PlayNice (who has an M801d) and Ursa99 (who has a 60 inch) have used calibration equipment on their sets. Many of the members have used their settings with success. Both of them posted settings for the old firmware and then later for the new firmware after the update. Since panels can vary, YMMV as usual. Good luck.
josephpearson is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off