post #1411 of 1434 Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Savage View Post
I like the sound of that!!! I have my TV stand braced and ready for my new 80" screen. Hype level is increasing. I am probably 12 hours away from my new set

Don't know what Movie I should watch first. I sadly have been saving the Hobbit 1 & 2 for a suitable 3d experience. Not sure how those two are for 3D. Also I have Godzilla 3D waiting too Probably screw around the XB1 Diablo for awhile, or that new D4 game which got a decent review so far that I have read. Only $14.99. Dial in adjustments, and maybe watch a movie tomorrow night. Took the day off for hopefully a great experience.

I am upgrading from a Panny 50VT25. Great picture, but I am looking forward to the 30" screen size increase as well as passive 3D. I despise active, due to quasi headache feeling, wish that wasn't the case, but passive should solve that
Godzilla was great on this set in 3D, but you know what Rocks... Pacific Rim (one of my fav for the image quality and 3D) or Gravity in 3D on this set.

I have The Hobbit 1 EE it was amazing too waiting for The Hobbit 2 EE (coming soon) to check that out in 3D.

You will love this sets 3D! And gaming is awesome on this giant screen!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1434 Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cool. I have Pacific a Rim, just need to make sure it is 3D version as well. I originally watched the 2D version, and it was a solid flick. I have yet to watch Gravity though. Thank you for the recommendations.

Just realized I have The Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D bluray while reading through 3D blu-rays on bluray . Com. I love surprises like that.

Last edited by Dr.Savage; 09-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.
post #1413 of 1434 Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool. I have Pacific a Rim, just need to make sure it is 3D version as well. I originally watched the 2D version, and it was a solid flick. I have yet to watch Gravity though. Thank you for the recommendations.

Just realized I have The Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D bluray while reading through 3D blu-rays on bluray . Com. I love surprises like that.
Yes "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" is also a top pick in my collection. I think k I will watch that again tomorrow.
post #1414 of 1434 Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Finally getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these sets (after following this thread for ~1 year, funds have become available ).

Going to check my local Sam's this weekend (no Costco here). Last time I looked, they were still selling it for around $2900. Is there a better price out there? I see Amazon has it but at a considerably higher price.

Which wall mount are you guys using for this gigantic TV?

Thanks!
Anybody have input on the best wall mount to use??

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #1415 of 1434 Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM

So far so good. I am really impressed with TV so far. The only thing I am running into is, the Game mode seems to have higher input lag than 40ms. What are the other settings I should consider adjusting? I turned off everything under Advanced Picture:

Color Temperature: Computer
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: Off
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Auto Brightness: Off
Film Mode: Off

Is there anything else I should change? Or should Smooth Motion be turned on Low/Med/High? I am guessing leaving Color Temperature on Computer is fine?

I have also selected "Game" and made picture adjustments (brightness/color/tint, etc) and named it "Game" for custom setting.

Also, has anyone noticed if one HDMI port is better than the other?

Any thoughts?

I have recently used a 34ms display and didn't notice input lag as much. Could just be me, but thought I would post these and see if I have the right stuff off (or need to turn something on).

Thank you,

Last edited by Dr.Savage; 09-19-2014 at 09:53 PM.
post #1416 of 1434 Old 09-19-2014, 10:32 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Anybody have input on the best wall mount to use??
Recommendations for TV wall mount?
post #1417 of 1434 Old 09-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which would people in this group rather have, and 80" LCD or a 70" 4K LCD. That's really the choice I'm facing now in getting a new TV. I don't really care too much about 4K since I don't see much content on the horizon, but the local dimming in the new 70" Vizio P seems like a great idea, 10" inches sounds good also!
post #1418 of 1434 Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaverty View Post
Which would people in this group rather have, and 80" LCD or a 70" 4K LCD. That's really the choice I'm facing now in getting a new TV. I don't really care too much about 4K since I don't see much content on the horizon, but the local dimming in the new 70" Vizio P seems like a great idea, 10" inches sounds good also!

You may want to start another thread for this question....being this thread is the "Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread", I suspect answers may be somewhat biased. But to add my $0.02, I have no regrets with the 80". 4K IMO is an over-hyped feature at even 70" for the majority of viewers. PQ on this set is fantastic, with 3D still a feature that I appreciate. Go with the M801D while you still can!
PlayNice likes this.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1419 of 1434 Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, I'm asking this again, I posted several months ago about having issues with the remote not responding (factory remote using wifi, and universal using ir) I called Vizio about it, they decided my main board was faulty and intermittently working. It was working more often than it wasn't, but it was a nuisance unplugging the TV (which is wall mounted) and plugging it back in to turn it on at times. They said the main board wasn't able to be replaced so they sent me a replacement TV. The replacement TV had what seemed like a power supply issue, causing the TV to flicker at times. I never had an issue turning it on during the 2 weeks while I waited for my 3rd set. I now have my 3rd set, and I'm having issues again with the remote.

So I'm asking one more time before I call them, is anyone else having similar issues? I have the ethernet hardwired to a gigabit switch and only have a single HDMI cable going to the TV from the AVR, any ideas?

Thanks!
Erik
post #1420 of 1434 Old 09-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So far so good. I am really impressed with TV so far. The only thing I am running into is, the Game mode seems to have higher input lag than 40ms. What are the other settings I should consider adjusting? I turned off everything under Advanced Picture:

Color Temperature: Computer
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: Off
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Auto Brightness: Off
Film Mode: Off

Is there anything else I should change? Or should Smooth Motion be turned on Low/Med/High? I am guessing leaving Color Temperature on Computer is fine?

I have also selected "Game" and made picture adjustments (brightness/color/tint, etc) and named it "Game" for custom setting.

Also, has anyone noticed if one HDMI port is better than the other?

Any thoughts?

I have recently used a 34ms display and didn't notice input lag as much. Could just be me, but thought I would post these and see if I have the right stuff off (or need to turn something on).

Thank you,

OH SNAP! Okay, so I pulled out the camera, crt monitor and laptop to run some tests for input lag. The reason being, I was using Pinball FX 2 for Xbox One as my non-scientific lag test, and the variance between my monitor and the Vizio was night and day. I knew I was higher than 40ms.

Low and behold, I was generally 150ms. I switched to HDMI 4 away from the HDMI 1, and I think that was the key. Perhaps there is some additional processing with the ARC (or whatever it is) on HDMI 1. If anyone is having input lag on HDMI 1. Also, make sure you select Game mode, I even think "Computer" mode was slower than it should be...so stick with Game mode for FPS games, twitch games, etc. However, I took so many readings, can't remember how high PC was. Granted I was seeing swings of 30 to 60ms on HDMI4, but nothing like the 150ms of the HDMI1. Additionally, Pinball FX 2 now feels responsive where I can use my vision/judgment to flip the flippers instead of flipping early to make my shots. This is great news! We may have a keeper and an all around Excellent TV. Other than the issue below:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post
Ok, I'm asking this again, I posted several months ago about having issues with the remote not responding (factory remote using wifi, and universal using ir) I called Vizio about it, they decided my main board was faulty and intermittently working. It was working more often than it wasn't, but it was a nuisance unplugging the TV (which is wall mounted) and plugging it back in to turn it on at times. They said the main board wasn't able to be replaced so they sent me a replacement TV. The replacement TV had what seemed like a power supply issue, causing the TV to flicker at times. I never had an issue turning it on during the 2 weeks while I waited for my 3rd set. I now have my 3rd set, and I'm having issues again with the remote.

So I'm asking one more time before I call them, is anyone else having similar issues? I have the ethernet hardwired to a gigabit switch and only have a single HDMI cable going to the TV from the AVR, any ideas?

Thanks!
Erik
Hey Erik, Yes, my remote just stopped working, and so did the power button on back the TV. I had to pull the power cord during some of my testing. Very strange. I think I am on firmware .25, so no clue if that is anything or not. Wait, I am now on .34, so I was updated overnight, maybe that is why it went unresponsive???? No clue, either way, it is working again after unplugging tv and plugging back in (as you have had to do). Also, I had to repair my remote to get it to work without line of sight. Hopefully this is just a fluke The remote without Wifi seems more responsive now on .34, I wonder if just leaving wifi remote option off, is a possible solution????

Good luck!!!
post #1421 of 1434 Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I returned my Vizio. Gave it a few months of active use to really test it. In the end I thought the picture was okay but not great -- it's motion handling is just okay and no setting or mode completely got rid of the HD video-like look most LED's suffer from versus the film-like good of the source material, plasmas or OLED. And since I was coming from plasma it really bothered me and my family. Some higher-end LED sets handle that better, not as good as OLED. Also, the set has a bug with handling some dolby digital sound that it's supposed to be able to process that cause lip sync issues, so I had to downgrade all my sources to 2.0 sound. And the remote is utterly unreliable. I often have to pull the batteries out, a couple times in the length of a movie, to get it to re-connect with the TV (uses wi-fi instead of IR). Since usually you're using the remote once a show starts to pause or stop the show, it's really annoying that by the time you determine it's failed, popped the back of the case, and reset the batteries, whatever you intended to do has passed.

I did like the price, the Vizio CMS and UI customization, the built-in Apps, the overall look, etc. But for me picture trumps everything and I have the extra money to -- reluctantly -- spend on a different set.
post #1422 of 1434 Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Thanks!
Erik
Yes, I have posted about my remote being unreliable numerous times. It stops responding at random times, often multiple times an hour, and when it does it doesn't do anything for any source. Totally dead. I have found if I pull the batteries out and put them back in I can get it working again. But it sucked and was one of the reasons I gave up on the set.
post #1423 of 1434 Old 09-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hey Erik, Yes, my remote just stopped working, and so did the power button on back the TV. I had to pull the power cord during some of my testing. Very strange. I think I am on firmware .25, so no clue if that is anything or not. Wait, I am now on .34, so I was updated overnight, maybe that is why it went unresponsive???? No clue, either way, it is working again after unplugging tv and plugging back in (as you have had to do). Also, I had to repair my remote to get it to work without line of sight. Hopefully this is just a fluke The remote without Wifi seems more responsive now on .34, I wonder if just leaving wifi remote option off, is a possible solution????

Good luck!!!
I'll have to try that, are you hard wired or wireless for network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Yes, I have posted about my remote being unreliable numerous times. It stops responding at random times, often multiple times an hour, and when it does it doesn't do anything for any source. Totally dead. I have found if I pull the batteries out and put them back in I can get it working again. But it sucked and was one of the reasons I gave up on the set.
I'll try the battery trick next time, thanks.
post #1424 of 1434 Old 09-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I'll have to try that, are you hard wired or wireless for network?

I'll try the battery trick next time, thanks.
I am wirelessly connected for the TV. If mine craps out again, I will try just the non-wifi method by unpairing remote, and see if that prevents it.
post #1425 of 1434 Old 09-20-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
That's odd since these sets are edge-lit you would normally have an issue that would be a horizontal artifact not a concentrated dark spot in the middle for backlight issues. But hey you get a new set that's all that matters right!
Yea but I don't know if I want to take a chance and get the same one again. I love the TV (picture and 3D is great) if it didn't have such a failure rate. I would pay an extra $1000 if I could guarantee the TV would last at least 10 years without a problem.
post #1426 of 1434 Old 09-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post
Yea but I don't know if I want to take a chance and get the same one again. I love the TV (picture and 3D is great) if it didn't have such a failure rate. I would pay an extra $1000 if I could guarantee the TV would last at least 10 years without a problem.
Understandable, I had 3 sets with errors that I swapped out myself. I hope the sets I now have last for the long run but if they don't I hope the fail when this set is no longer made/in stock and they have to give me a new updated set with 3D and UHD lol.
post #1427 of 1434 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am using a Harmony Remote and I have no issues with the remote. No one else using one with this tv?

Watched Godzilla on a Godzilla sized TV and speaker system....well the movie sucked the sound effects where awesome though.

I am also on the old 1.09 firmware, if it ain't broke do not fix it.

Last edited by NODES; Yesterday at 03:42 PM.
post #1428 of 1434 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
I came from a calibrated Plasma, and I am impressed in this LCD...
Same here. Always had plasma's and loved them. This Vizio is in many ways equal to or superior to my Panny.
post #1429 of 1434 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I am using a Harmony Remote and I have no issues with the remote. No one else using one with this tv?

Watched Godzilla on a Godzilla sized TV and speaker system....well the movie sucked the sound effects where awesome though.

My setup is primarily a Harmony Ultimate (which I love) but can use a Harmony Smart Control remote with it too.
post #1430 of 1434 Old Today, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I'm using harmony 890, no issues. Works great. Also, if you enable the wifi on the factory remote, it works flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Same here. Always had plasma's and loved them. This Vizio is in many ways equal to or superior to my Panny.
Yes, I came from a plasma, and would not go back. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
My setup is primarily a Harmony Ultimate (which I love) but can use a Harmony Smart Control remote with it too.
care to tell me how the smart control works?

Quote:
80" all the way! You'd never tell the difference with 4k at a decent distance.

Quote:
Yes "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" is also a top pick in my collection. I think k I will watch that again tomorrow.
SO, it's up there with Pacific Rim. etc.?

Quote:
Godzilla was great on this set in 3D, but you know what Rocks... Pacific Rim (one of my fav for the image quality and 3D) or Gravity in 3D on this set.

I have The Hobbit 1 EE it was amazing too waiting for The Hobbit 2 EE (coming soon) to check that out in 3D.

You will love this sets 3D! And gaming is awesome on this giant screen!!!
Now, I just streamed the new transformers 1080p and it was incredible. I'm having a hard time deciding if it looked better than pacific rim just because it's a newer movie I just saw it, but it's incredible! Have any of you seen new Transformers? What else looks great?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Last edited by Jasonn B; Today at 07:31 PM.
post #1431 of 1434 Old Today, 07:25 PM

I'm more convinced then ever after seeing a number of 4k displays I made the right choice with the 801. At 12 ft viewing distance there's not much difference for the price. If you can find a new one for sale I'd say grab it. In the area I live not many are available now. A buddy of mine has been looking and would have to settle for a refurb unit today. I'm so happy.
post #1432 of 1434 Old Today, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
I'm using harmony 890, no issues. Works great. Also, if you enable the wifi on the factory remote, it works flawless.

Yes, I came from a plasma, and would not go back. The positives outweigh the negatives.

care to tell me how the smart control works?

80" all the way! You'd never tell the difference with 4k at a decent distance.

SO, it's up there with Pacific Rim. etc.?

Now, I just streamed the new transformers 1080p and it was incredible. I'm having a hard time deciding if it looked better than pacific rim just because it's a newer movie I just saw it, but it's incredible! Have any of you seen new Transformers? What else looks great?
The new Transformers on 3D blu ray is supposed to be breathtaking (the longest movie filmed with IMAX cameras).

300 Rise of an Empire, The Adventures of Tintin, The Wizard of Oz, Dredd, Prometheus, Titanic and Life of Pi are a few of my 3D top picks for PQ

For 2D I would check out District 9, Super 8, The Dark Knight (and Rises), Baraka, Samsara, Blade Runner, 2001 Space Odyssey, Cloverfield, Grand Budapest Hotel... The list goes on and on :-)

Last edited by PlayNice; Today at 10:19 PM.
post #1433 of 1434 Old Today, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks! Transformers was 1080P stream and just awesome. Will try to get the others. Haven't watched it in 3D, but the 2d awesome.

Another awesome movie is Elysium, with Matt Damon. Have you seen it?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #1434 of 1434 Old Today, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Thanks! Transformers was 1080P stream and just awesome. Will try to get the others. Haven't watched it in 3D, but the 2d awesome.

Another awesome movie is Elysium, with Matt Damon. Have you seen it?
Yes that is in my collection as well, my wife and I argue over which Neill Blomkamp film is the best she says Elysium and I say District 9. I enjoy his work they both have deeper meanings (Social Commentary).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page