Forum Jump: 
post #1711 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3n View Post
Has anyone experienced the following issue with this set: when switching channels, for instance, the screen gets very bright (ie. a person's face is very washed out) for about a second, and then it darkens appropriately. I bought this set from Amazon in February this year (2014), and this started happening only weeks ago.

I just joined and don't have any other posts, so can't upload the two quick videos I took. If someone is willing to help, I would love to message a link to the videos for further assistance.

Thanks for your help!
I am having this exact issue. Last week I got the new 1.60 firmware pushed to me and that's when my tv started to show this issue. I've spent considerable time adjusting settings and have done about three factory resets in hopes that it would fix itself. No luck and I'm about to call Vizio. I also have had no success restoring my colors or PQ. All this started with 1.60 firmware. Very disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
I am having this exact issue. Last week I got the new 1.60 firmware pushed to me and that's when my tv started to show this issue. I've spent considerable time adjusting settings and have done about three factory resets in hopes that it would fix itself. No luck and I'm about to call Vizio. I also have had no success restoring my colors or PQ. All this started with 1.60 firmware. Very disappointed.
I mentioned this earlier but I think this also relates to smart dimming not working properly. Try going into the menu and toggle smart dimming (ON then OFF), then see if the problem persists. It appears to me that this feature is not only enabled by default regardless of its menu state, but its causing other issues like you mention with the fluctuating image intensity.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1713 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
I mentioned this earlier but I think this also relates to smart dimming not working properly. Try going into the menu and toggle smart dimming (ON then OFF), then see if the problem persists. It appears to me that this feature is not only enabled by default regardless of its menu state, but its causing other issues like you mention with the fluctuating image intensity.
I've reset smart dimming and every thing else I can think of. Three factory resets. Not much has changed for the better. With the new features of Gamma and Game Latency controls available now in all menus it makes all the pre-set picture settings kind of useless. You can make all the changes right from the 'standard' pre-set.
post #1714 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No firmware updates for me. NOPE! Nuh uhh.

I have been hearing some great things about VIZIO customer service so hopefully they will assist...

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #1715 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I've reset smart dimming and every thing else I can think of. Three factory resets. Not much has changed for the better. With the new features of Gamma and Game Latency controls available now in all menus it makes all the pre-set picture settings kind of useless. You can make all the changes right from the 'standard' pre-set.
Thanks for confirming. Are you reaching out to Vizio directly?
post #1716 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. Are you reaching out to Vizio directly?
I haven't made a decision on how to deal with Vizio or Costco yet. This is not a great time of the year to be dealing with this issue. I had a outstanding picture since June 2014 and wanted to be on the network for the limited 3D from Netflix but now I don't think it was worth it.
Arm3n likes this.
post #1717 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I haven't made a decision on how to deal with Vizio or Costco yet. This is not a great time of the year to be dealing with this issue. I had a outstanding picture since June 2014 and wanted to be on the network for the limited 3D from Netflix but now I don't think it was worth it.
I suppose I could learn to live with this (at least until next firmware push). I don't *think* there are any other negative artifacts after the initial 'brightness pop'.
post #1718 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I suppose I could learn to live with this (at least until next firmware push). I don't *think* there are any other negative artifacts after the initial 'brightness pop'.
My fear is Vizio at some point is going to be finished with firmware updates. Also, I have other issues like at initial power up there is a approx 2 minute period that has a green tint to the picture. After about 2 minutes the picture changes and looks like normal. After that there appears to be a haze to the picture. No adjustment gets rid of this. Colors are not right either no matter what I use choosing three different calibration discs. The amount of time put into this is starting to be a issue.
phildaant likes this.
post #1719 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Question

Quote:
My fear is Vizio at some point is going to be finished with firmware updates...
That is typical with many companies these days.

Does anyone know how long Vizio usually release firmwares for their HDTVs? When was the last one for the (new/lat)est version released?
post #1720 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I feel for you guys, especially at this time of the year. Is this issue apparent on both 80 inch models?

I am glad my I refused to network enable my TV.

Last edited by NODES; 12-17-2014 at 09:32 PM.
post #1721 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Does anyone know how long Vizio usually release firmwares for their HDTVs? When was the last one for the (new/lat)est version released?

I bet if enough people complain they may get a fix out faster.
phildaant likes this.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #1722 of 1746 Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone experienced the following issue with this set: when switching channels, for instance, the screen gets very bright (ie. a person's face is very washed out) for about a second, and then it darkens appropriately. I bought this set from Amazon in February this year (2014), and this started happening only weeks ago.

I just joined and don't have any other posts, so can't upload the two quick videos I took. If someone is willing to help, I would love to message a link to the videos for further assistance.

Thanks for your help!
MY EXPERIENCE PLUS OTHER 1.60 ISSUES

Your two videos are great examples of the sudden blooming. My unit (M801i-A3) began doing the exact same thing after the 1.60 firmware flash. I decided to do a factory reset this evening and that tamed the occurrence significantly. It still does it during certain significant switches (switching from a movie playing via MPC-HC inside Windows Media Center back to the media center media guide or live tv) and a few channel changes (although it dissipates much more quickly than before) but does not bloom during most channel changes (which it did before the factory reset). It also will bloom when pulling up the TV menu settings. Thus, while the reset improved the issue, it did not fix it. I never recognized any blooming effect before 1.60 under any circumstances. The only primary changes in picture settings after 1.60 was gamma and I just tested gamma extremes (1.8 vs 2.4) & the results were the same.

Please do a factory reset and report back. Remember to write down your stored settings.

As to picture quality, I'm not yet sure if 1.60 also had a negative impact on my unit. It seems to me that the "pop" in the picture also decreased, especially for some content. Making adjustments to the settings has helped but I'm not sure it's where it was).
rotohead and Arm3n like this.

Last edited by chris431; 12-17-2014 at 11:48 PM.
post #1723 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 10:46 AM

One thing I can definitely say... My Plasma was MUCH more forgiving or better equipped to handle 'non-1080p/HD' content. After watching a few different channels on DirecTV (using a HD-DVR) either the feed is NOT the same as other channels broadcasting in HD or this set simply isn't as crisp at displaying various channels. Example: TLC, VH1 and A&E (all channels we watch regularly) the faces are not as clear (somewhat blocky) as say Discovery, CNN, NFL Network and NBA TV.
I believe after using Disney WOW disc and tweaking it even more to my liking, it is MUCH better than out the box for certain! But wondering if there's still room for improvement...
I'd like to hear more from you guys that have DirecTV, Dish or Cable and your results. Blu Ray or even USB content is SUPERB!

post #1724 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris431 View Post
MY EXPERIENCE PLUS OTHER 1.60 ISSUES

Your two videos are great examples of the sudden blooming. My unit (M801i-A3) began doing the exact same thing after the 1.60 firmware flash. I decided to do a factory reset this evening and that tamed the occurrence significantly. It still does it during certain significant switches (switching from a movie playing via MPC-HC inside Windows Media Center back to the media center media guide or live tv) and a few channel changes (although it dissipates much more quickly than before) but does not bloom during most channel changes (which it did before the factory reset). It also will bloom when pulling up the TV menu settings. Thus, while the reset improved the issue, it did not fix it. I never recognized any blooming effect before 1.60 under any circumstances. The only primary changes in picture settings after 1.60 was gamma and I just tested gamma extremes (1.8 vs 2.4) & the results were the same.

Please do a factory reset and report back. Remember to write down your stored settings.

As to picture quality, I'm not yet sure if 1.60 also had a negative impact on my unit. It seems to me that the "pop" in the picture also decreased, especially for some content. Making adjustments to the settings has helped but I'm not sure it's where it was).
Thank you for that write-up and confirmation. Even though this "sudden blooming" occurrence is a pain, I am much relieved this has been confirmed to be a firmware snafu, as opposed to it being an issue with my panel.

I will write down my settings tonight (I used the WOW disc a few months back to calibrate) and do a reset to report back.

I encourage all other users with this issue to comment with their findings as well, as this will help Vizio in determining next course of action.

Thanks all!
post #1725 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
One thing I can definitely say... My Plasma was MUCH more forgiving or better equipped to handle 'non-1080p/HD' content. After watching a few different channels on DirecTV (using a HD-DVR) either the feed is NOT the same as other channels broadcasting in HD or this set simply isn't as crisp at displaying various channels. Example: TLC, VH1 and A&E (all channels we watch regularly) the faces are not as clear (somewhat blocky) as say Discovery, CNN, NFL Network and NBA TV.
I believe after using Disney WOW disc and tweaking it even more to my liking, it is MUCH better than out the box for certain! But wondering if there's still room for improvement...
I'd like to hear more from you guys that have DirecTV, Dish or Cable and your results. Blu Ray or even USB content is SUPERB!
Have been with Directv since 98 and have a big package of channels. I mostly watch sports. Even when the guide says it's a HD feed, it's not or at least not top quality HD. Happens quite often on channels like A&E and less often on HBO. As my displays have improved over the years I have noticed this more often. For sports broadcasts (I have NFL package too and on Sunday all games are HD) it can very greatly depending on region of the country or maybe different equipment local broadcasters use.
post #1726 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

DTV here, and looks great! Very crisp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1727 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Here are my new calibrated settings for this set. FW 1.60
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	429249   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	429257   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 - Copy.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	429265   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 - Copy (2).jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	429273   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	429281  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 - Copy (2).jpg
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	429289  
--Sclaws and mordbane like this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700

Last edited by PlayNice; Yesterday at 12:03 PM. Reason: My pre calibration settings were in standard mode, just wanted a laugh to see how far they were off.
post #1728 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The reason I asked is because several of the recent entries in this thread including myself have purchased the M801i-A3
And I'm wondering if there is a dedicated thread for THIS model? There are clear differences and I'm wondering just how different they are...
They are the same model minus one feature 3D.

Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #1729 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, i need some help, i got this tv in June from costco as i though the price was great and it got good reviews and really needed an 80" with having to spend $5000.

I have not had much time with setting etc, so i put it in game mode. I have an 3 year old lg in the bedroom and eveytime i watch the lg i think man only if the vizio reproduced colors like this.

I have to connect my matchbook to the tv via hdmi cable to watch some of the movie that i have on my external hdd and the quality is good, but its inconvenient and the same can be done on the lg just by sticking the external drive usb in the tv.

I also notice that epic or starz premium channels among others the movies look so bad, there is something that happens i don't know how to explain, clouding in dark scenes and almost looks like low quality video playing, but through my laptop it looks good, not as good as my lg but better than cable.

I regret not returning the tv and now I am stuck with the $3000 tv. Can anyone help me get decent pic out of this.
post #1730 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 01:15 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Thx for sharing. But what are your thoughts/impression?

post #1731 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hey guys, i need some help, i got this tv in June from costco as i though the price was great and it got good reviews and really needed an 80" with having to spend $5000.

I have not had much time with setting etc, so i put it in game mode. I have an 3 year old lg in the bedroom and eveytime i watch the lg i think man only if the vizio reproduced colors like this.

I have to connect my matchbook to the tv via hdmi cable to watch some of the movie that i have on my external hdd and the quality is good, but its inconvenient and the same can be done on the lg just by sticking the external drive usb in the tv.

I also notice that epic or starz premium channels among others the movies look so bad, there is something that happens i don't know how to explain, clouding in dark scenes and almost looks like low quality video playing, but through my laptop it looks good, not as good as my lg but better than cable.

I regret not returning the tv and now I am stuck with the $3000 tv. Can anyone help me get decent pic out of this.
You should not regret this purchase as you can dial in the colors with near perfect reference quality, the only major issue is red which is a less than 10 Delta E at 6 (tolerable). Plenty of people including myself have achieved this on this set. I myself am a certificated calibrator and my friends and family love the PQ on this set. The best modes for this set out of the box are the calibrated modes, the game mode is not a good mode to start in. Also your LG may not have a reference picture you just may be used to it most people do not know that a TV should actually look like preferring a images that POPS unnatural vs. an image that is very natural with realistic colors.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #1732 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thx for sharing. But what are your thoughts/impression?
I actually like smart dimming on so the new firmware has not given me issues yet. After receiving the new firmware my settings were still accurate from the old calibration but since that calibration lacked gamma adjustments I re-calibrated my set from scratch. Resulting on me adjusting the color slightly requiring full CMS changes.

I am happy Vizio is continuing to support this set with FW updates but I feel bad for those experiencing issues.

One thing I did notice was before 1.60 you had different settings saved on each input Vizio has now taken that away and now your settings are mirrored to each input.
TXSTYLE likes this.

Last edited by PlayNice; Yesterday at 04:35 PM.
post #1733 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the reply!

post #1734 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Thanks for sharing the cal settings.

Is your viewing normally a low light/dark room?

Edit* secondary question,
What about 3D, same settings?

I've yet to view a 3D movie but I've got several good ones lined up.

Last edited by laserjock II; Yesterday at 04:53 PM.
post #1735 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Thanks for sharing the cal settings.

Is your viewing normally a low light/dark room?
Those are my bright settings (normal room) when I go dark I adjust the settings as follows backlight to 25 and gamma to 2.1

For 3D I use the same settings.

You have to hurry up and watch a 3D movie on this set its amazing!

Last edited by PlayNice; Yesterday at 05:13 PM.
post #1736 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for your help!
I been having the same issue for the last two months but it only occurs when I 1st turn on the TV. I still have version 1.34.
post #1737 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Three updates since June 2014. If I had to do it all over again I'd never hook it up to the internet.
phildaant likes this.
post #1738 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been fighting this set to get smooth BluRay playback with MPC-HC and MadVR/Reclock. Tonight I got a bug up my you-know-what to try out a higher refresh rate. We have company over so I can't play too much but I was able to go to 90 Hz through the Nvidia custom resolution thing. I tried 120 but the set produced No Signal. I've read some sets will get to 117, 118 but not the full 120 but by playing with timings, 120 can be had. MPC confirms the refresh is set to 90Hz and, frankly, I've not had a single dropped frame or even a repeated frame since switching to 90Hz mode. Movies look smooth but not "too smooth" if you know what I mean. I really, really like this TV a lot, the PQ is stunning to me, and that's having moved from a Samsung plasma to this beast.
post #1739 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Unhappy

Quote:
Three updates since June 2014. If I had to do it all over again I'd never hook it up to the internet.
Too bad we can't do offline upgrades and be able to downgrade.
post #1740 of 1746 Unread Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
New firmware blooming/flickering/shadow issues.

As others have pointed out, the issue is with the Smart Dimming feature. It is "on" even when it says that it is "off". Access this feature by pressing Menu on the remote, then select Picture, scroll down to More Picture, then turn Smart Dimming from Off to On. Then from On to Off. Your picture should go back to normal.

If you change picture modes, you will have to repeat this process to get your calibrated settings to return to normal. Hopefully just a minor annoyance until Vizio can fix it. No factory resets needed.

If you are just now purchasing this set, do not setup the wifi until Vizio fixes this or you will end up downloading this firmware update and inheriting a new issue with your TV.

Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited by vmiclass02; Yesterday at 08:23 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page