Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 62 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1831 of 1852 Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy009 View Post
I loved my M801d-a3. Unfortunately mine had serious dimming/flickering issues. Vizio sent a replacement unit that had a cracked bezel. I refused delivery and called to get another one sent out.

Unfortunately, they don't have or make any more. So offered me the M801i-a3 as a replacement or a refund. I took the refund.

What ticks me off is that these TV's aren't serviceable. They won't fix them. Man I loved the 3D on this TV and it hurt to say goodbye.

Anyway, until 4k prices for 75" and up become reasonable, I ordered a Samsung UN75H6350. Too good of a price to pass up. It'll be delivered on the 26th.

Does anyone have experience between these two as far as PQ goes. I'd assume the Sammy would be quite a bit of an improvement.

Viewing distance 15 ft. Wall mounted slightly above eye level, 15 degree tilt to eliminate some glare in a well lit room.
Some 3rd party companies will. Vizio does no repairs at all, when they do they out source to 3rd party companies. Also 3D is dying out in the US, Vizio at least isn't making any more, of course as you mention already instead they are focusing on 4k full array back lit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Too clarify, I have called Vizio about this specific smart dimming issue since ver 1.60 and it was around the holidays so it's understandable people were stressed. That said, it was clear the CSR at Vizio heard the complaint at least a couple times before...recently....and I should do her a big favor if I'd just go away and be assured it would be fixed. And I always hate the csr's response to such issues, 'you are still under warranty so it would be covered....' Are you sure about that? And it's not that easy for me to pack up a 140 lb tv and ship it back. I'm old. This feature worked with the firmware it shipped with. It's fixable w/o the need to ship/replace. Please...
Vizio doesn't make consumer ship back TVs over a certain size Especially if it's 140 LBs and yeah sounds like firmware if it was working before firmware update. My understanding is they do updates less often and release them slowly at first but, they do so to try and make sure as many kinks as possible are ironed out.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 01-20-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1852 Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Seems very similar to issue I had with Directv equipment I've had in the past. Handshake stuff if I remember depending on the setup. Is this a recorder? You can troubleshoot using the double play feature. Either way it's probably not a display problem.
This blooming issue has worsened for me. And I don't think that's a accurate description, it's more like a washout of the entire screen for five seconds then the constrast/color/brightness stabilizes. My fear it's getting worse and that can't be a good sign for the health of this unit. Unless a new firmware push comes from Vizio to fix this I'm doing to end up with a bad display and get a replacement. No one else seems to be having similar issues to this extent so I'm assuming I've got something out of the norm.
That started right after the first update. I only use one input and don't change channels on the TV itself but I get the big washout each time I turn the TV on and it wasn't like that originally. Someone posted a while back that it had to do with custom configurations and after he blew them all out it quit. I am not sure as it doesn't bother me that much.
post #1833 of 1852 Old 01-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
For those of you that have an issue with the remote in IR mode and don't want to use WiFi mode I believe I found a solution.
I have attached one of these on the bottom of the IR receiver window on the bottom left side of the TV with great results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0077D...110_SY165_QL70

The remote now works without having to point it straight towards the left bottom of the TV.

If you rotate the prism to face more towards the center of the TV it will receive the IR signal even easier.
Interesting. I don't have an issue with the IR, but my TV is also wall mounted. Why wouldn't someone want to use the wifi feature? I don't get it. If you have an issue, just turn on the wifi remote feature.

Also, how about a picture of this prism on the tv?
Attached with double sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1421898234688.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	493634  
post #1834 of 1852 Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes... The remote control is very weak sauce. Is it infrared? Can it be programmed to radio frequency???
post #1835 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Yes... The remote control is very weak sauce. Is it infrared? Can it be programmed to radio frequency???
It's IR or WiFi,
Wife likes the DirecTV remote for casual viewing, so I leave it on IR for te TV portion.
The DTV DVR is set to RF.
post #1836 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
It can be setup as a wireless device.
post #1837 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
It can be setup as a wireless device.
Does Internet (hard wire or wifi) have to be enabled then?

I know TXStyle didn't want his set to update
post #1838 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Good point. I think it was the first update they put out. 1.34 or 1.35 I think.
post #1839 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got this TV from Costco for $2450 a couple of months ago and have a couple of observations compared to my 55" Samsung.

The TV plays very few files. My Samsung TV will play nearly any file type.

The 3d is just ok. It is not nearly as good as my Samsung TV with active 3d. You can see it but it doesn't pop.

It has a built in quam tuner or whatever you call it. It will pick up some high def Chanels off of my cable without a box, my Samsung didn't seem to have this option.

I sit 12' away and got used to the size in a couple of days. I was worried it might be to big but now I see I could go even bigger.

If I were to do it again I would try and get the non 3d for under $2000 just to save a few bucks.
post #1840 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have opened multiple tickets with Vizio regarding the SD sticking issue. A little after the update to 1.60, I had two back light leds fail, which presented itself with a two inch semi circle black spot center top bezel area. Needless to say, I called about this after I couldn't get it to go away. Vizio basically offered me the m801i version of the tv (no 3d, $1000 different price point , or a full refund. They CAN NOT replace the tv or work on panel failure issues, and who knows how many motherboards they have left now. So, I took neither, I proceeded to email ther ceo, coo, and copied in tech support. I recieved a call from "executive" resolution. The associate told me he was hoping it was the SD issue, since pics were attached, since they can supposedly 'fix" that by rpiping apart the tv and replacing a motherboard. Since it was evident it wasnt, he was able to track me down what he said was the last one they had.

So it does seem they are aware, and said they are "working on a new firmware", and that they were not pushing 1.60 anymore. What concerns me is that only a couple years after launch, they can't support it.....or just barely.
post #1841 of 1852 Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by netkrazed View Post
I have opened multiple tickets with Vizio regarding the SD sticking issue. A little after the update to 1.60, I had two back light leds fail, which presented itself with a two inch semi circle black spot center top bezel area. Needless to say, I called about this after I couldn't get it to go away. Vizio basically offered me the m801i version of the tv (no 3d, $1000 different price point , or a full refund. They CAN NOT replace the tv or work on panel failure issues, and who knows how many motherboards they have left now. So, I took neither, I proceeded to email ther ceo, coo, and copied in tech support. I recieved a call from "executive" resolution. The associate told me he was hoping it was the SD issue, since pics were attached, since they can supposedly 'fix" that by rpiping apart the tv and replacing a motherboard. Since it was evident it wasnt, he was able to track me down what he said was the last one they had.

So it does seem they are aware, and said they are "working on a new firmware", and that they were not pushing 1.60 anymore. What concerns me is that only a couple years after launch, they can't support it.....or just barely.

did they offer the non 3d plus $1k in a refund?

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #1842 of 1852 Unread 01-22-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
I got this TV from Costco for $2450 a couple of months ago and have a couple of observations compared to my 55" Samsung.

The TV plays very few files. My Samsung TV will play nearly any file type.

The 3d is just ok. It is not nearly as good as my Samsung TV with active 3d. You can see it but it doesn't pop.

It has a built in quam tuner or whatever you call it. It will pick up some high def Chanels off of my cable without a box, my Samsung didn't seem to have this option.

I sit 12' away and got used to the size in a couple of days. I was worried it might be to big but now I see I could go even bigger.

If I were to do it again I would try and get the non 3d for under $2000 just to save a few bucks.
Glad you like it. I'm really enjoying mine. Saving a buck wasn't even in my thought process. I don't care nor need to view anything in 3D. It irritates my perfect vision (thank God for that). I was actually considering a $7k 84" set. But seeing how since I purchased this set, I've also purchased a $3k (regularly $4k!) Samsung 4 door refrigerator and a $2k Samsung washer and dryer set, I feel like my $$$$was MUCH better spent.
post #1843 of 1852 Unread 01-22-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:

This. But even when using DirecTV, since it controls the vizio volume directly, it still is very poor in reach.
post #1844 of 1852 Unread Yesterday, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
A free TV basically?

To piggy back on to the post you quoted. first of all where are we getting a price point here? 1, it devalues over time, 2, once the stores buy it's it's theres, so if you are basing it off what THEY want to sell it for. NOW if you basing it off Vizio direct pricing, fair enough i guess.

Either way it's going to be a substitution model OR a return for credit, they aren't gonna hemorrhage that much money, they have a company to run.

Quote:
It's IR or WiFi,
Wife likes the DirecTV remote for casual viewing, so I leave it on IR for te TV portion.
The DTV DVR is set to RF.
They can be switched between IR and Wifi modes too.
post #1845 of 1852 Unread Yesterday, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This. But even when using DirecTV, since it controls the vizio volume directly, it still is very poor in reach.
Exactly why I am using the $5 right angle prism
post #1846 of 1852 Unread Yesterday, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Basically, because they also offered a full refund. So depending on how long this new set lasts...warranty continues with costco and squaretrade....it may come down to refunding me the full price I paid for it in July 2013. So, as far as CS they are doing well....supporting their technology devices, not so sure about. I will say I was holding my breath when I chose Vizio.....and doubt I wil be a repeat customer.

It will be interesting to see if their P series has similar failure rates.
post #1847 of 1852 Unread Yesterday, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post
A free TV basically?

To piggy back on to the post you quoted. first of all where are we getting a price point here? 1, it devalues over time, 2, once the stores buy it's it's theres, so if you are basing it off what THEY want to sell it for. NOW if you basing it off Vizio direct pricing, fair enough i guess.

Either way it's going to be a substitution model OR a return for credit, they aren't gonna hemorrhage that much money, they have a company to run.

They can be switched between IR and Wifi modes too.
You actually can barely find a new m801d....I am supposedly getting the last new model that they have...and is it really to much to ask for devices like these to be servicable for at least two years?

They ARE offering a full CASH refund of the sales price as well (So maybe they CAN hemmorage money),....so the price point is moot to me, and i was comparing launch pricing, right, wrong, whatever...it was the removal of 3d , most other vendors have incorporated it into their 4k. I might haven even considered adding cash for a p series 3d...but they dropped 3d all together.

It is what it is.
post #1848 of 1852 Unread Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Quote:
You actually can barely find a new m801d....I am supposedly getting the last new model that they have...and is it really to much to ask for devices like these to be servicable for at least two years?

They ARE offering a full CASH refund of the sales price as well (So maybe they CAN hemmorage money),....so the price point is moot to me, and i was comparing launch pricing, right, wrong, whatever...it was the removal of 3d , most other vendors have incorporated it into their 4k. I might haven even considered adding cash for a p series 3d...but they dropped 3d all together.

It is what it is.
Do you mean OEM serviceable? like a 2 year warranty? if thats what you mean all Vizio TVs from costco get a 2 year OEM warranty, all other authorized retailers sold units have 1 year. Costco gets the benefit because they were the first retailer to sign on with Vizio when they were up and coming. You get up to a 5 year warranty form vizio with in first 10 months of purchase date.

Other than that having a 1 year old TV with no parts available sure does make since, sounds like something happened and decision was made and they took a left turn and sold what stock/units had been produced, that or they sold like hot cakes and parts were on back order sounds like the prior of the two.

Thanks for the tip on other Vendors incorporating, they may be cutting costs, they have always strived to offer decent units at lower prices according to their slogan and wiki page. Then again who knows i'm sure the marketing department are sipping down martini's in thier private helicopters.
post #1849 of 1852 Unread Yesterday, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

It is what it is.

This is good customer support, you had a TV for well over a year and they are offering a refund at full price. Ask Samsung for a any extra service and they will laugh at you, even though you can show them receipts for over 20K going from you account to their pockets.

It sucks you only had the TV for such a sort period of time and now you need to look else where for a replacement, but not losing any money on this deal should be the highlight for you.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #1850 of 1852 Unread Yesterday, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
As I've attempted better calibration I noticed that smart dimming works fine in all factory presets, just not in any custom config. Color panel is not affected. I can live with it until a new firmware push hopefully in the 2.0x range with a off site link.
post #1851 of 1852 Unread Today, 02:18 AM

Liked: 0
I need some help. I've been noticing a type of blur around people during movements. Only on movies and not sports. Is this common for this tv any way to get rid of it? I also was wondering if anybody has compared this tv to the P series?
post #1852 of 1852 Unread Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny951 View Post
I need some help. I've been noticing a type of blur around people during movements. Only on movies and not sports. Is this common for this tv any way to get rid of it? I also was wondering if anybody has compared this tv to the P series?
That 'ghosting' issue surfaced for me after the last couple firmware updates. The only way I could get it to go away (not completely though) was by resetting the TV. This last firmware (1.60) it took me multiple resets (I think I did six or eight) without calibrating. I had a number of test sources I would check to see if it was still there and if it was I'd reset again. I was also looking to get rid of blooming and some motion artifacting. I'm hoping Vizio pushes new firmware soon and fixes all of this. My display didn't have these issues when I first got it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page