Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 63 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1861 of 1883 Unread 02-11-2015, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why does this TV not support so many video files??? I haven't narrowed down the exact file type: .avi, mkv, divx????

What's you guys experience?

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 02-11-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1883 Unread 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Send me the link to where you got this? Did it improve the distance greatly???
Yes, and not as sensitive to line of sight.

From Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077DY7ZC

Edit: I ended up using two strips of velcro on each side of prism because the double sided tape didn't hold it in place as well

Last edited by laserjock II; 02-11-2015 at 04:13 PM.
post #1863 of 1883 Unread 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Yes, and not as sensitive to line of sight.

From Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077DY7ZC

Edit: I ended up using to strips of velcro on each side of prism because the double sided tape didn't hold it in place as well
Thanks!
post #1864 of 1883 Unread 02-18-2015, 10:32 AM

Not sure if I missed this, but I know some devices use both IR and RF. Does this television? Or is it just IR?

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #1865 of 1883 Unread 02-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Not sure if I missed this, but I know some devices use both IR and RF. Does this television? Or is it just IR?
No RF. Only IR and dedicated wifi for the remote.
post #1866 of 1883 Unread 02-18-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
No RF. Only IR and dedicated wifi for the remote.

Thanks for that rapid reply. I was considering the prism suggested by laserjock. But that will look out of place the way my TV is setup on my particular stand.

So how are you and others coping with the very poor reception this remote gives? I am not connecting to WiFi because the TV has excellent PQ! And I do not want ANY type of updates jacking that up.

Will a Logitech Harmony or other remote offer a stronger beam? Or is it the lens on the TV itself that is the issue. Anyone here tried a different remote with better success?

post #1867 of 1883 Unread 02-18-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that rapid reply. I was considering the prism suggested by laserjock. But that will look out of place the way my TV is setup on my particular stand.

So how are you and others coping with the very poor reception this remote gives? I am not connecting to WiFi because the TV has excellent PQ! And I do not want ANY type of updates jacking that up.

Will a Logitech Harmony or other remote offer a stronger beam? Or is it the lens on the TV itself that is the issue. Anyone here tried a different remote with better success?
On occasion I've had the remote lose the wifi connection and have to reset it but it mostly works well. My primary remote is a Harmony Ultimate with the hub and have most of my HT equipment in another room so I have it set up to control everything RF except the TV which is IR. This requires me to point the Harmony at the TV during start and shutdown only. If I'm going to change any picture settings I usually get the Vizio remote. Either remote seems to communicate fine with the TV for me.
post #1868 of 1883 Unread 02-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Prism works great but if you don't want to go that route you can buy a repeater.
post #1869 of 1883 Unread 02-18-2015, 05:04 PM

I'm still confused as to the exact location of the 'sensor' on the set??? Is it the same white LED that we see during powering on or off? Or is it that very tiny sensor on the left rear of the set? Because if it's the latter, that was just a stupid ass design flaw!

post #1870 of 1883 Unread 02-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm still confused as to the exact location of the 'sensor' on the set??? Is it the same white LED that we see during powering on or off? Or is it that very tiny sensor on the left rear of the set? Because if it's the latter, that was just a stupid ass design flaw!
Yep, where the white LED is.
On the bottom left bezel underside.
post #1871 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

One other thing @TXSTYLE , fresh batteries.
post #1872 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I've used a Harmony 650 since day one without any problems. That tells me the receiver is just fine when used with a good remote.

Also, using the wifi remote has nothing to do with having the TV connected to your wifi and downloading updates. In fact, there is no way to turn off the TV's wifi, as far as I know.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #1873 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
I've used a Harmony 650 since day one without any problems. That tells me the receiver is just fine when used with a good remote.

Also, using the wifi remote has nothing to do with having the TV connected to your wifi and downloading updates. In fact, there is no way to turn off the TV's wifi, as far as I know.

If like me, you NEVER allow the TV to connect to WiFi, then you never have to worry about it even trying to automatically update firmware. Which I have read about happening. Now if you are saying there is a way to make the remote WiFi without connecting the TV to WiFi, please explain...?

post #1874 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 02:49 PM

It's not necessary to connect to a home wifi network to make the remote connect to the TV via wifi. It's a dedicated or local wifi connection (similar to connections flying drones make with a iPhone for example) between the remote and the TV. If you have a wifi scanner you will see it listed as a separate network named something like 'DIRECT-UN-VIZIOTV'. No need for security settings and no other devices can connect or interfere with it (mostly).
phildaant likes this.
post #1875 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's not necessary to connect to a home wifi network to make the remote connect to the TV via wifi. It's a dedicated or local wifi connection (similar to connections flying drones make with a iPhone for example) between the remote and the TV. If you have a wifi scanner you will see it listed as a separate network named something like 'DIRECT-UN-VIZIOTV'. No need for security settings and no other devices can connect or interfere with it (mostly).
Ahhh... Thx for explaining. Since you are using the Harmony, would you say that trying the factory remote option via WiFi or grabbing the H650 would work better? Also, what are the steps to try the remote WiFi option?

post #1876 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Ahhh... Thx for explaining. Since you are using the Harmony, would you say that trying the factory remote option via WiFi or grabbing the H650 would work better? Also, what are the steps to try the remote WiFi option?
I only have one HDMI input to the TV from a Denon AVR that controls about eight different activities (BR, Roku, etc). The Harmony Ultimate is configured to use IR for the TV (got to point it at the TV sensor) for turning ON/OFF. The Ultimate in my setup is configured RF for all other components. If I want to change picture settings (contrast, backlighting, etc) I use the Vizio remote configured wifi. It's nice that that TV will receive both IR and wifi remote commands. Either remote will do the job if you spend some time configuring the devices page on the Harmony software (sometimes you may need to add seldom used commands for a particular device as the Harmony database doesn't always give access to all commands available). The 650 and Ultimate have some differences and can't remember if the 650 can be configured the way I explained (IR for some devices and RF for others).
post #1877 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 03:48 PM

Oh, and if you go into the Vizio menu>devices>remote, then follow the instructions to pair the remote it's pretty simple. My experience is on occasion the remote will lose it's connection and you may need to re-pair the two. It's similar to pairing a bluetooth device but it's wifi (better range).
post #1878 of 1883 Unread 02-19-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I only have one HDMI input to the TV from a Denon AVR that controls about eight different activities (BR, Roku, etc). The Harmony Ultimate is configured to use IR for the TV (got to point it at the TV sensor) for turning ON/OFF. The Ultimate in my setup is configured RF for all other components. If I want to change picture settings (contrast, backlighting, etc) I use the Vizio remote configured wifi. It's nice that that TV will receive both IR and wifi remote commands. Either remote will do the job if you spend some time configuring the devices page on the Harmony software (sometimes you may need to add seldom used commands for a particular device as the Harmony database doesn't always give access to all commands available). The 650 and Ultimate have some differences and can't remember if the 650 can be configured the way I explained (IR for some devices and RF for others).

The 650 is IR only if I recall.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #1879 of 1883 Unread Today, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone gotten firmware newer than 1.60? I am getting sick of having to toggle picture modes every time I turn on the TV to prevent all of the blooming...
post #1880 of 1883 Unread Today, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post
Has anyone gotten firmware newer than 1.60? I am getting sick of having to toggle picture modes every time I turn on the TV to prevent all of the blooming...
Almost two months ago Vizio told me that a new firmware is 'right around the corner' that would address this issue. Not seeing the love yet.
post #1881 of 1883 Unread Today, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Lightbulb

Quote:
Almost two months ago Vizio told me that a new firmware is 'right around the corner' that would address this issue. Not seeing the love yet.
You should follow-up with them about it.
post #1882 of 1883 Unread Today, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
You should follow-up with them about it.
In the last week I've done that and it's a waste of time.
phildaant likes this.
post #1883 of 1883 Unread Today, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Unhappy

Quote:
In the last week I've done that and it's a waste of time.
Bummer.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M801d by PriceGrabber.com