Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 64 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
I can confirm Vizio is replacing my motherboard and some other circuit board within the next two or three days. I'll report back when this is completed.
Any update?
Why are they replacing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Any update?
Why are they replacing it?
Finally got a service scheduled for tomorrow (sunday the 8th) and I'll be very curious about this fix. Never had a warranty service, or any service for that matter on a Sunday. I'm gonna see if he'll let me take pictures. Don't see why not. More to come.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Question iOS app

Does anyone here use it with this HDTV? If so, then is yours slow too? Using other devices, beside iPhone 4S, like AppleTV is faster.

Last edited by phildaant; 03-08-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Does anyone here use it with this HDTV? If so, then is yours slow too?
Just upgraded to a iPhone6+ and have it set up to connect wifi using 11ac. Comparing it to my old iPhone5 connected via 11n the 5 was much slower then this new 6+. Still don't use the app as much as I do the Ultimate or even the Smart Control add-on. It's nice to have for backup. I've had the Ultimate stop responding and needed to re-sync it and the phone is great to have handy. I think the newer iPhone 6 with a better wifi performance makes a difference.

EDIT:
Ah oh, I thought I was on the Harmony remote forum page. Sorry, got confused yesterday. Not a good day.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by rotohead; 03-09-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Confusion
Old 03-08-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Setback #1 on my scheduled service call. My 801 is on the TV stand. I'm in a wheelchair. In order to get the back cover off the tv needs to be flat on the floor so the stand can be removed in order to remove the back cover. I can't help in the lifting dept so the tech has to get a helper and we have to reschedule. Stupid way Vizio designed the back cover and stand integration. I'm still blown away by how heavy this thing is.
phildaant likes this.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Setback #1 on my scheduled service call. My 801 is on the TV stand. I'm in a wheelchair. In order to get the back cover off the tv needs to be flat on the floor so the stand can be removed in order to remove the back cover. I can't help in the lifting dept so the tech has to get a helper and we have to reschedule. Stupid way Vizio designed the back cover and stand integration. I'm still blown away by how heavy this thing is.

They should be prepared for this...I would not expect to help during a warranty repair or call.
phildaant likes this.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
They should be prepared for this...I would not expect to help during a warranty repair or call.
Yeah, I would agree and the more I think about how this has gone I'm scratching my head. I remember getting a robo call shortly after my support call I made to Vizio and it said one of the things that would be necessary is if the tv was wall mounted more then 5 feet off the ground it would need to be removed by the owner. If it was lower then 5 feet it could stay on the wall. Well, as I look at the mounting holes on the back of the TV, you're not getting that back cover off if it's wall mounted at all! That would be a delay in service that could be avoided. Seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
phildaant likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am running into the same issue with getting the service call scheduled. They asked if I could get it down for them or help while he is here. I explained that I had no interest in being liable for any damage to the TV while they are supposed to fix it.
phildaant likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post
I am running into the same issue with getting the service call scheduled. They asked if I could get it down for them or help while he is here. I explained that I had no interest in being liable for any damage to the TV while they are supposed to fix it.
What is the issue for replacing the MB?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post
I'd explain the nightmare that I'm going thru with the service repair but I don't want to bore anyone. Let's just say I'm on my third re-schedule because this tech can't get a second person to help. I'm giving him one more chance tomorrow and then after that I'm raising hell with Vizio. The service company is Indusys and he's showed up twice now with no help and plans to maneuver the tv on to the floor by himself. I expressed my concerns. He re-thought things and will try again. He's got a sh!t load of parts to replace but I'm getting more concerned by the day. More later.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is the issue for replacing the MB?
In order to get the back cover off the tv it can't be wall mounted or on the stand. It must be face down on the floor. No other way to get the cover off since the stand is attached over the cover. Same would apply if it was mounted on the wall. Not the greatest design IMO.
phildaant likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Now I can understand Vizio making the customer responsible for getting it down from a wall mount but not if it's on the tv stand. I'm trying to stay calm but this is getting flaky.
phildaant likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In order to get the back cover off the tv it can't be wall mounted or on the stand. It must be face down on the floor. No other way to get the cover off since the stand is attached over the cover. Same would apply if it was mounted on the wall. Not the greatest design IMO.
We moved ours into position by laying it face down on a twin mattress and then scooting it into position near the entertainment center.
Put the stand on and me and stepson put it on console.

That's how I would do it in reverse but I understand the 2 person thing.

Hope you get it done one way or another but I would never try to do it with only one person.

I'm enjoying mine but am still hopeful it can be "fixed" without a hardware replacement.
phildaant likes this.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Today is the fourth attempt to get this service call done. My concern has now grown to include the competence of this tech. I'll be watching closely and taking pics.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Today is the fourth attempt to get this service call done. My concern has now grown to include the competence of this tech. I'll be watching closely and taking pics.
I saw a post in the 1.60 problem thread.
Sounds like there might be a firmware coming soon.
I asked the question on the email tech support section of Vizio's website.

The response was that they were working on it and would roll it out when available.
Not sure if you wanna wait or not.
I am as of now.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I saw a post in the 1.60 problem thread.
Sounds like there might be a firmware coming soon.
I asked the question on the email tech support section of Vizio's website.

The response was that they were working on it and would roll it out when available.
Not sure if you wanna wait or not.
I am as of now.
Can you point me to this thread please? I can't seem to find it.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you point me to this thread please? I can't seem to find it.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1864985-vizio-1-60-defective-firmware-update-victims-post-here.html
Old 03-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HELP Please

Ok, I'm sorry to say that I need some help.. My Vizio M801-A3D has started to produce dark spots on the screen. I called vizio for warranty but they would not help me because I purchased my TV from a dealer not on their Authorized Seller list. They said my TV was sold to a Walmart store and my receipt shows from another store..

I purchased the TV new in box May 2014 and I have a few months left under year warranty. Vizio was really trying to be helpful and was even hinting that maybe my serial number was incorrect and asked me to read it to him again (i'm too honest to lie about my serial # LOL).

But I'm not too honest to tell them I purchased it from Walmart.

**My question is** Is there anyone out there who could PM me their receipt for their Vizio TV if purchased from walmart? I don't care if you cross out any personal info.. I just need a receipt that shows the TV was purchased from walmart (or any other authorized seller), then they will cover my warranty.

I know it's a long shot to ask, but I spent $3500 on this TV and feel ripped that Vizio doesn't warranty their product, they only warranty who they distribute to.

Thanks to anyone who can help. Below are pics of what my TV is doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150304_180614_resized.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	609129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150304_180803_resized.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	609137   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150304_183438_resized.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	609145  

Last edited by xbones; 03-17-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this TV for a while and I've been using chromecast with it for a good 4-5 months. In the last 2 months, out of nowhere I am starting to have an issue.

When I am playing something with chromecast, randomly out of nowhere every so often the entire screen goes white for 7 seconds while the audio still works. Sometimes it might happen once an hour, other times it starts happening every 5-10 minutes. Its driving me nuts!

This does not happen with my other TV/Chromecasts. I have tried using a different chromecast and I have tried using a different HDMI port as well. Neither of these things have helped.

The only thing I have not checked is if this happens with other HDMI devices plugged in (meaning it would have something to do with the compatibility between the TV and chromecast and not the actual devices). I use chromecast extensively to watch movies and such, but I rarely use any other HDMI devices, and since I can't exactly make it do it 'on demand' , it hasn't been easy to check.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening. Where do I even go from here in diagnosing the issue and fixing it?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
I've had this TV for a while and I've been using chromecast with it for a good 4-5 months. In the last 2 months, out of nowhere I am starting to have an issue.

When I am playing something with chromecast, randomly out of nowhere every so often the entire screen goes white for 7 seconds while the audio still works. Sometimes it might happen once an hour, other times it starts happening every 5-10 minutes. Its driving me nuts!

This does not happen with my other TV/Chromecasts. I have tried using a different chromecast and I have tried using a different HDMI port as well. Neither of these things have helped.

The only thing I have not checked is if this happens with other HDMI devices plugged in (meaning it would have something to do with the compatibility between the TV and chromecast and not the actual devices). I use chromecast extensively to watch movies and such, but I rarely use any other HDMI devices, and since I can't exactly make it do it 'on demand' , it hasn't been easy to check.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening. Where do I even go from here in diagnosing the issue and fixing it?

Thanks!
That's a new problem I haven't heard of before but it does seem similar to the whiteout/blooming issue that FW 1.60 stuck us with. I'm sure you've tried other inputs, factory reset or cycling smart dimming off/on? Other then those suggestions I'm not much help here. I'll get my replacement mb installed tomorrow (3/20) and hope I get a 1.34 fw mb. It might be worth a call to Vizio support to at least get a case number. Good luck. It's a shame so many of us are having problems as this display had the potential to be a great one for the money. Now it's just a pain and don't know if I'd ever get another Vizio or recommend it to anyone.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

So I finally had my mb and power supply board replaced and I can say I'm back to being a happy 801d owner. The FW is 1.34.23.0090, the washout/blooming is GONE. And the original secondary problem of motion artifacting and blocking is gone for the most party. Most importantly the picture has that pop again. Have only adjusted a few of the settings and will need to re-calibrate but it looks as good as when I first got the thing. I hope the rest of you get a fix like this. It's such a crap shoot.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
Ok, I'm sorry to say that I need some help.. My Vizio M801-A3D has started to produce dark spots on the screen. I called vizio for warranty but they would not help me because I purchased my TV from a dealer not on their Authorized Seller list. They said my TV was sold to a Walmart store and my receipt shows from another store..

I purchased the TV new in box May 2014 and I have a few months left under year warranty. Vizio was really trying to be helpful and was even hinting that maybe my serial number was incorrect and asked me to read it to him again (i'm too honest to lie about my serial # LOL).

But I'm not too honest to tell them I purchased it from Walmart.

**My question is** Is there anyone out there who could PM me their receipt for their Vizio TV if purchased from walmart? I don't care if you cross out any personal info.. I just need a receipt that shows the TV was purchased from walmart (or any other authorized seller), then they will cover my warranty.

I know it's a long shot to ask, but I spent $3500 on this TV and feel ripped that Vizio doesn't warranty their product, they only warranty who they distribute to.

Thanks to anyone who can help. Below are pics of what my TV is doing.

I did not know Walmart even sold this giant, did you know the dealer you bought from was not authorized?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I did not know Walmart even sold this giant, did you know the dealer you bought from was not authorized?
I had no idea the dealer wasn't authorized. I had no idea this was even a concern when buying a TV. I mean normally the companies warranty the product as long as you got the original receipt and it's within the year manufacturer warranty.

I have never in my life heard of it making a difference where you purchase your new TV from.

But with the serial number of the TV, they told me it was sold to a walmart and that the manufactured date was only 4 months post the year warranty.. I mean how much more NEW does this TV have to be for them to cover a warranty??

Vizio SUCKS for customer service I will never buy another one of their products again.. EVER.

Anyways, anyone got a receipt they can send me for their TV that is still within a year of purchase? So i can get my New Vizio TV fixed?

THANK YOU
Old 03-20-2015, 11:10 PM

Liked: 10
Well for anyone else having this problem and comes up on this, I finally figured out the issue. When I turned off CEC it stopped doing this. So something about this TV's CEC feature and chromecast does not jive well.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

After a mb change this past Friday that gave me back FW ver 1.34.xx.xxxx I decided to plug it into my network last night and this morning woke up to a new FW. This one is fortunately not a 1.60 ver. I have ver 1.34.27.0090 and I can't see any obvious differences from the previous one and haven't noticed any negative effects. So far I'm happy with the board swap.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After a mb change this past Friday that gave me back FW ver 1.34.xx.xxxx I decided to plug it into my network last night and this morning woke up to a new FW. This one is fortunately not a 1.60 ver. I have ver 1.34.27.0090 and I can't see any obvious differences from the previous one and haven't noticed any negative effects. So far I'm happy with the board swap.

Well you got balls to plug your tv back into the wild after this 1.60 debacle.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well you got balls to plug your tv back into the wild after this 1.60 debacle.
Here's my thinking on this. My journey though this was greatly complicated and made more painful then necessary by a, let's just say, tech person that wasn't up to the task. After four failed appts with that person I went back to ITI and got a different tech that was the opposite of the first one. I now have his contact info and feel comfortable in having that in my back pocket. Worse case if I'm pushed another bad FW I'll go back to Vizio and get some more parts, get the good tech to fix it again. We shouldn't be made to sacrifice because Vizio can't address known issues. I'll make it as painful on them as they make it on all of us until they get it right. I thought about keeping it unplugged but had a scotch or two last nite and decided to go for it. And wouldn't you know it, the very first night it's plugged in I get a FW pushed to me. When I turned it on this morning and didn't have my glasses on all I could see is the FW notice on my screen and couldn't read the ver number very well. Scrambling for my glasses to see what the number was fearing to see a 1.60.xx.xxxx I was relived to see 1.34.27.0090. The beat goes on.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Woke up to another FW ver. This one is 1.34.44.0090. Don't see any difference in the menu or see any negatives.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

Liked: 0
afternoon
my 80" 3d vizio just went out. backlight and vizio logo comes on, but that's it. from my understanding, it is likely the t-con board, but it could also be the mainboard. i also understand that there is a low success rate at repairing these tvs when the problem is with the t-con board... regardless of replacing the board or not. any ideas of what the problem and prognosis could be?
the tv went out periodically, more and more, until it finally just went out.
Old Today, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson_creek View Post
afternoon
my 80" 3d vizio just went out. backlight and vizio logo comes on, but that's it. from my understanding, it is likely the t-con board, but it could also be the mainboard. i also understand that there is a low success rate at repairing these tvs when the problem is with the t-con board... regardless of replacing the board or not. any ideas of what the problem and prognosis could be?
the tv went out periodically, more and more, until it finally just went out.

no warranty left?

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv