Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1148 Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
RockmanX, Thanks for the PM.

Made some adjustments.
Picture looks better, still so much different.

Tried to turn on the TV last night.
The remote was dead.
Put new batteries in, works fine.
Wonder why that happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1148 Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Liked: 37
I mean its a known issue that the new m series remotes are crap it is what it is invest in a sweet harmony touch remote like I did problem solved lol

post #183 of 1148 Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Turns out the remote had to be reset.
It was in wi-fi mode, or something like that.
Reset it Saturday and so far so good.
post #184 of 1148 Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Liked: 10
I just put this tv on my wall using a mount that formerly held my 65 inch Olevia (about 200 lbs!) so I know the mount is good enough, but I had to use the screws that came with the tv (they were already screwed into the back). They are only about a half inch long... do you think they are strong enough? The screw holes don't actually seem too deep, and the tv seems solid for now. Should I worry? Awesome tv, by the way...
post #185 of 1148 Old 09-17-2013, 05:25 PM

I've been reading up on wall mounts and I did just read something about NOT using the screws that came with the TV because they're not long enough.
If I was you I would run down to the hardware store and get some longer screws. Sure don't want to come home one day and find the TV on the floor.

What kind of mount do you have.
Does it tilt.
Can you pull the TV away from the wall to get at the cables.

I've never used a wall mount, want to make sure I get a good one.
post #186 of 1148 Old 09-17-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 30
So there isn't any complaints about thus tv yet? I've been reading through the other M series thread and it's riddled with complaints.
post #187 of 1148 Old 09-17-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

So there isn't any complaints about thus tv yet? I've been reading through the other M series thread and it's riddled with complaints.

Lol exactly the same has same issues just some are more worse than others welcome to edge lit tech
post #188 of 1148 Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

Lol exactly the same has same issues just some are more worse than others welcome to edge lit tech
Ya I wish the tv companies would get away from edge lit almost every tv on the market seems to be headed that direction.
post #189 of 1148 Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 AM

Pretty simple it's cheaper to build
post #190 of 1148 Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

Pretty simple it's cheaper to build

Edge lit TVs cost less than full array, but more than direct lit sets to manufacture.
post #191 of 1148 Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman803 View Post

I've been reading up on wall mounts and I did just read something about NOT using the screws that came with the TV because they're not long enough.
If I was you I would run down to the hardware store and get some longer screws. Sure don't want to come home one day and find the TV on the floor.

What kind of mount do you have.
Does it tilt.
Can you pull the TV away from the wall to get at the cables.

I've never used a wall mount, want to make sure I get a good one.

Guess I'm gonna get some longer screws then! The mount I have is pretty heavy duty, and allows for a small range of tilting, but you can't pull the tv away from the wall and it is tight back there! Were did you read about the screws? Did anyone suggest the proper length? Thanks!
post #192 of 1148 Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 13
LOVE THE DISPLAY!
Big, Bright, Sharp, and Clear

I'm very happy with it (especially after having a projector; I don't have to lower the blinds anymore to watch during the day; no image washout, even in the middle of a sunny afternoon with the blinds up; my wife wouldn't watch the projector with me before because she didn't want to be stuck in "the cave").

The display actually looked really nice right out of the box (Calibrated Dark Mode), but I called in Gregg Loewen (who previously did a great job on my Epson 8500UB projector, which just died - thus my decision to get the Vizio, which gives me an image as big as the screen image from the projector).

As before, Gregg did a great job making the display even better. If you look at the color menu settings on the display, you'll see that it's very basic; no room for finer adjustments, no sub-menus for more detailed color management. So, after doing the basic calibration, Gregg used my DVDO iScan Duo (I have all my HD stuff plugged into it via HDMI (DirecTV, Cable, BluRay, Roku, etc.) with just one HDMI cable out to the display, one optical cable out to the receiver for audio) to make the finer color touch-ups, and it looked even better than after the initial calibration using only the settings on the display's menu - which truly would have been just fine; but since I had the DVDO we decided to use it to get the image even better.

While the M801D-A3 isn't perfect...

- The Smart Dimming setting, when on, does take a second to fade to black when the program material goes black, but this is not a big deal, and the black levels are noticeably better with this setting enabled.
- The screen is definitely reflective/shiny, so during the sunniest time of afternoon (if you don't have the blinds down), you can see your reflection when the program you're watching goes to black.

... these are truly insignificant details that, for the price (Costco - $3,400 w/discount plus free shipping) and what you get in size, quality and brightness of image, AND 3D (which is really cool on well-shot 3D material, like "Star Trek Into Darkness" - which I streamed from DirectTV and was almost a good as the IMAX theater version we saw in May - and pretty lousy on the travelogue stuff on DirectTV's 3net)

I recommend the TV. I think that you will be happy with it if you decide to pull the trigger.

And while there are lots of tweaks and calibrations on this forum and other places, NOTHING can replace a professional calibration by legitimate, professional technician with all the knowledge and equipment he brings to do the job.

Here is Gregg's contact info if you decide you want to make your display or projector as good as it can be - well worth the bucks IMHO:

Gregg Loewen
gregg@lionav.com
Home Office: 207 778 5417
Cell Office: 207 624 2685

Good luck and enjoy.
post #193 of 1148 Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenus View Post

... I called in Gregg Loewen (who previously did a great job on my Epson 8500UB projector, which just died ...

Here is Gregg's contact info if you decide you want to make your display or projector as good as it can be - well worth the bucks IMHO:

Gregg Loewen
gregg@lionav.com
Cell Office: 207 624 2685.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #194 of 1148 Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenus View Post

LOVE THE DISPLAY!
Big, Bright, Sharp, and Clear

I'm very happy with it (especially after having a projector; I don't have to lower the blinds anymore to watch during the day; no image washout, even in the middle of a sunny afternoon with the blinds up; my wife wouldn't watch the projector with me before because she didn't want to be stuck in "the cave").

The display actually looked really nice right out of the box (Calibrated Dark Mode), but I called in Gregg Loewen (who previously did a great job on my Epson 8500UB projector, which just died - thus my decision to get the Vizio, which gives me an image as big as the screen image from the projector).

As before, Gregg did a great job making the display even better. If you look at the color menu settings on the display, you'll see that it's very basic; no room for finer adjustments, no sub-menus for more detailed color management. So, after doing the basic calibration, Gregg used my DVDO iScan Duo (I have all my HD stuff plugged into it via HDMI (DirecTV, Cable, BluRay, Roku, etc.) with just one HDMI cable out to the display, one optical cable out to the receiver for audio) to make the finer color touch-ups, and it looked even better than after the initial calibration using only the settings on the display's menu - which truly would have been just fine; but since I had the DVDO we decided to use it to get the image even better.

While the M801D-A3 isn't perfect...

- The Smart Dimming setting, when on, does take a second to fade to black when the program material goes black, but this is not a big deal, and the black levels are noticeably better with this setting enabled.
- The screen is definitely reflective/shiny, so during the sunniest time of afternoon (if you don't have the blinds down), you can see your reflection when the program you're watching goes to black.

... these are truly insignificant details that, for the price (Costco - $3,400 w/discount plus free shipping) and what you get in size, quality and brightness of image, AND 3D (which is really cool on well-shot 3D material, like "Star Trek Into Darkness" - which I streamed from DirectTV and was almost a good as the IMAX theater version we saw in May - and pretty lousy on the travelogue stuff on DirectTV's 3net)

I recommend the TV. I think that you will be happy with it if you decide to pull the trigger.

And while there are lots of tweaks and calibrations on this forum and other places, NOTHING can replace a professional calibration by legitimate, professional technician with all the knowledge and equipment he brings to do the job.

Gregg Loewen
gregg@lionav.com
Cell Office: 207 624 2685

Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks for your thoughts, it's really appreciated I wish we had professional calibrators were I live, but we don't have that option unless we get someone from out of the area to do it which brings the cost up even more
post #195 of 1148 Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Where are you located? THXVideoTech has professionals everywhere !
Send me an email to discuss.

Regards
Gregg
sales@thxvideotech.com

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #196 of 1148 Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

Where are you located? THXVideoTech has professionals everywhere !
Send me an email to discuss.

Regards
Gregg
sales@thxvideotech.com
Ok I'll send one your way.
post #197 of 1148 Old 09-21-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My parents just got this huge HDTV, but how do we skip the setup process for Internet? We don't want that part. There's no skip option? We just want it for TV and movies!
post #198 of 1148 Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM

Hello All,

I'm expecting my Vizio 80" M801D-A3 on Monday, can anyone recommend a full motion wall mount.

Thanks
JC
post #199 of 1148 Old 09-21-2013, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

My parents just got this huge HDTV, but how do we skip the setup process for Internet? We don't want that part. There's no skip option? We just want it for TV and movies!

The manual doesn't explicitly say how to (or if you can) skip this step. However, there is a "manual" setup for defining IP info. Try plugging in valid "bogus" IP addresses... 127.0.0.1 (which just means "self"), or 192.168.0.1, or 10.0.0.1 (each of which are valid non-routable IP addresses). Or...
Quote:
do you have questions?
Let us heLP!
youR PRoduCt inCLudes FRee LiFetiMe teCh suPPoRt
Phone:
email:
Web:
(877) 878-4946 (toLL-FRee)
techsupport@viZio.com
www.viZio.com/support
hours of operation:
Monday - Friday: 5 aM to 8 PM (Pst)
saturday - sunday: 7 aM to 4 PM (Pst)
post #200 of 1148 Old 09-21-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro View Post

Quote:

The manual doesn't explicitly say how to (or if you can) skip this step. However, there is a "manual" setup for defining IP info. Try plugging in valid "bogus" IP addresses... 127.0.0.1 (which just means "self"), or 192.168.0.1, or 10.0.0.1 (each of which are valid non-routable IP addresses). Or...
Quote:
do you have questions?
Let us heLP!
youR PRoduCt inCLudes FRee LiFetiMe teCh suPPoRt
Phone:
email:
Web:
(877) 878-4946 (toLL-FRee)
techsupport@viZio.com
www.viZio.com/support
hours of operation:
Monday - Friday: 5 aM to 8 PM (Pst)
saturday - sunday: 7 aM to 4 PM (Pst)

Well, we still need to skip the setup part with its Internet screen. Ugh. Support is closed until 7:00 AM PDT. Bah! I sent an e-mail. Hopefully, they can re(ply/spond) to it before this weekend ends.
post #201 of 1148 Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Does this smart HDTV have a web browser at all? We can't find it. frown.gif And yes, we had to get Internet during setup. Bah.
post #202 of 1148 Old 09-22-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Does this smart HDTV have a web browser at all? We can't find it. frown.gif

No, only the apps installed on the system (or if an app becomes available, you could add it).
post #203 of 1148 Old 09-22-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Does this smart HDTV have a web browser at all? We can't find it. frown.gif

No, only the apps installed on the system (or if an app becomes available, you could add it).
I am surprised there is no internal and app for a web browser. frown.gif
post #204 of 1148 Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I'm not. They have revenue-stream partnerships with Netflix, AMZN, and others. If they give the TV user free access to the entire world via a browser, they lose "control" of you as a customer. You get to watch whatever you want, wherever you want. Of course, they haven't reinvented the wheel where. I'm pretty sure their embedded Internet application uses http, and since there are a couple dozen 3rd party apps, Vizio's API is out there somewhere... so we just need an enterprising hack to build a browser app eek.gif
phildaant likes this.
post #205 of 1148 Old 09-22-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I am missing it, but where is the firmware updater in this smart HDTV? Did I miss it?

Also, what is a good HMDI splitter to get since this HDTV only has one HDMI input?
post #206 of 1148 Old 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not. They have revenue-stream partnerships with Netflix, AMZN, and others. If they give the TV user free access to the entire world via a browser, they lose "control" of you as a customer. You get to watch whatever you want, wherever you want. Of course, they haven't reinvented the wheel where. I'm pretty sure their embedded Internet application uses http, and since there are a couple dozen 3rd party apps, Vizio's API is out there somewhere... so we just need an enterprising hack to build a browser app eek.gif
Vizio should open source its API. wink.gif
post #207 of 1148 Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Maybe I am missing it, but where is the firmware updater in this smart HDTV? Did I miss it?

Also, what is a good HMDI splitter to get since this HDTV only has one HDMI input?

I think it checks the firmware itself (which is part of why they have the internet setup) and updates automatically.

It has 4 HDMI inputs so you may not need a splitter.
post #208 of 1148 Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Nice review:

http://pocinc.net/blog/product-reviews/review-vizio-m801d-a3-80-inch-m-series-led-smart-tv

My local Costco just got the vizio in stock and it's right beside the sharp 844u now on the rack! These are the tvs I'm deciding between. I swear the vizio has better side viewing angles than the sharp. I didnt have time to adjust any settings as they were closing but am going back soon.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #209 of 1148 Old 09-23-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Vizio should open source its API. wink.gif

That's sort of the nature of API's... while the code itself is not usually open sourced in the literal sense, companies provide API's expressly for the purpose of "accessing" code functions. By giving 3rd party access to API's, others can create their own functionality on top of that OS (within the limits of the API functionality... ie, if Vizio doesn't include public API functionality for toggling 3D on and off, you can't toggle 3D on and off... unless you use some kind of hack).

Since Vizio appears to be using Yahoo Connected TV as its OS, here's all you need to access the API and build your own tools... http://developer.yahoo.com/connectedtv/
post #210 of 1148 Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyhip View Post

Quote:

I think it checks the firmware itself (which is part of why they have the internet setup) and updates automatically.

It has 4 HDMI inputs so you may not need a splitter.
Hmm, no manual updater? Interesting.

As for HDMI ports, aren't the three for outputs only? And the lone one is for output? Or am I confused with its on screen manual?

Oh and I agree its RC sucks. I keep having to face the left side. Argh!
mikeltee likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page