Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 240Likes

post #2131 of 2147 Old 01-23-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 132
SO what was wrong with the other 80" ones? The first one that they replaced?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2147 Old 02-06-2017, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #2133 of 2147 Old 04-28-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpemark View Post
Fairtrade sent a replacement TV.. a recent model 75inch Sammy. Not 3D, not 80inch.. but they did not even want the 80inch. I have it leaning against a wall until some friends/family claim it.. pretty good deal overall. Feeling stupid having bought those 3D dvds... otherwise am happy with the new clean screen.

So, to review.. bought first one around Labor Day 2013, then June 2014 got it replaced through Vizio via 2 year manufacturers warranty bought through Costco. The Squaretrade deal at Costco added 3 years for a total of 5 years.

So about 6 months ago now we noticed the "dirt".. but things were busy and we kept forgetting to do something about it. So contacted Vizio, they said not their problem (past teh 2year warranty) though they did try to "support" me in basically rebooting the TV. Ran through the same thing with Squaretrade phone rep, sent info, receipts, photos of the issues and they decided to send a replacement unit.

From what I understand, the remaining Squaretrade warranty does NOT now apply to the replacement unit. That's the only "gotcha" here.. but this TV should do fine until having a 4K unit for 4K content becomes more commonplace.
Thats kind of odd that they didn't replace the TV with the same make/model or is that their standard practice? I guess if the value/price of the replacement TV is the same or better than the defective one, in their mind its fine...but I would miss my extra 5" of screen space. Crazy how after having an 80" TV it doesn't even look big anymore.

Did you have to send pictures to Squaretrade for the warranty process or just fill out a form?

post #2134 of 2147 Old 04-28-2017, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
on replacement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post
Thats kind of odd that they didn't replace the TV with the same make/model or is that their standard practice? I guess if the value/price of the replacement TV is the same or better than the defective one, in their mind its fine...but I would miss my extra 5" of screen space. Crazy how after having an 80" TV it doesn't even look big anymore.

Did you have to send pictures to Squaretrade for the warranty process or just fill out a form?
Yes we sent photos and I have to say, I was wary that the photos were not showing it as badly as it appeared in person.

Yes replacing a 3D 80 inch with a non-3D 75 inch was a step down in many ways. But it was 2 years old and the new one was not a refurb and was a samsung, not vizio. I think it was fair.... fair enough. For $99 warranty.. yeah.. fair enough.

We've been satisfied... and yet, this sammy has developed an issue with blanking out every now and then for a fraction of a second. Very odd.. but it seems it has happened to others.. reset of the TV seems to help.

I suppose this will hold us until it is time for a 4K and there is content to support it.
post #2135 of 2147 Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down

I too am currently in the process of having Squaretrade replace my M801D-A3 for a dead pixel & "dust / fog". They declined the dust/fog saying its "normal wear and tear". They did honor the dead pixel though after a lot of back and forth. For those who may have a Vizio I found a chink in Squaretrades warranty. They say they will "match the manufacturer’s warranty for the Term of Your Protection Plan." (squaretrade . com/ terms-costco). Many people don't know that Vizio has the "Zero Bright Pixel Defect Guarantee" (support. vizio. com/ s / article / ka51a000000L0KFAA0 / Zero-Bright-Pixel-Policy?language=en_US). If even one pixel goes bad in the first year they will replace it. Well I put Squaretrade to the test. After 2 supervisors they agreed I was correct after verifying the model & warranty with Vizio. They are only offering me one option and that is the newer E80-E3. They are claiming it is "comparable" but I disagree. I did a comparison on it and aside from the 4K resolution & "Vizio" name it seems to fall short. Not to mention the power consumption of the new unit is greatly more (104w vs 240w).

So I am now only left with the one TV option (after supervisor said I would get 3 options). They are refusing the cash settlement. I can say after this horrible experience I will never buy a Squaretrade warranty again. Those guys are just down right crooks!
post #2136 of 2147 Old 05-24-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That 80" is going to be much better than your 801d-A3. The technology is 4 years newer and it will upscale much better. I'd take it. Or if they can still find you the a 2016 M series, there are still some floating around on the net.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #2137 of 2147 Old 05-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Would the 75" Vizio P series (P75-E1) be a better option? I'd be willing to sacrifice 5" for a better TV. Its within the price range of my maximum claim amount ($3,699).
post #2138 of 2147 Old 05-24-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Personally I could never go down in size. I've had two 80" Vizios, and 75" I really think you will miss the screen size. I'd do the E because it's the latest.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2139 of 2147 Old 05-24-2017, 02:48 PM

I understand it's newer but aside from the 4k resolution all the other specs fall short compared to my current. I don't see how the E series compares. Also it seems to have issues with firmware from another thread on here. Worse than our units had.
post #2140 of 2147 Old 06-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just received a barely used M801I-A3 Tv and this is my first 80" tv. I have smaller full array local dimming LED tv's which I've tuned and configured but I have no clue where to start with this TV.

1. I intend to connect to the net to update firmware than disconnect it b/c I don't need my tv to spy on me even if I can turn off the feature I don't use the local apps I have Tivo.

2. What settings are the ideal to start with. This is what I picked up from another thread just wondering if it is relevant.

Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 56
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 50
Color: 43
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 0

Color Temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Low
Active LED Zones: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Motion Blur Reduction: On
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off

3. Lastly, is there anything I should know about this TV and to look for specifically? There are always some tricks and tips people know.

Thanks
post #2141 of 2147 Old 06-29-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just received a barely used M801I-A3 Tv and this is my first 80" tv. I have smaller full array local dimming LED tv's which I've tuned and configured but I have no clue where to start with this TV.

1. I intend to connect to the net to update firmware than disconnect it b/c I don't need my tv to spy on me even if I can turn off the feature I don't use the local apps I have Tivo.

2. What settings are the ideal to start with. This is what I picked up from another thread just wondering if it is relevant.

Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 56
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 50
Color: 43
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 0

Color Temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Low
Active LED Zones: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Motion Blur Reduction: On
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off

3. Lastly, is there anything I should know about this TV and to look for specifically? There are always some tricks and tips people know.

Thanks
I copied and pasted this to my notes and have been using these settings for a while.
Not sure who did the cal but they seem to work fairly well on my set.

"Had my 6 month 80" VIZIO calibrated this weekend and the picture is so much better. Except for CBS shows for some reason. On most of those I get odd blacks. Other signals look great so I assume it is something with the CBS signal on DirecTV as no other channels have this same issue. One thing the calibration also did was eliminate the blooming. I am attaching my numbers below, as I appreciated others before the calibration (sorry for the formatting, I'll try to put up a jpeg that reads better later this afternoon.

I can't guarantee they will work exactly for your TV, but Doug from ClearlyResolved really helped me understand Grayscale and how the colors work together.

Good luck all.

D

Auto Brightness Control Off
Backlight 37
Brightness 52
Contrast 75
Color 47
Tint 0
Sharpness 32
Black Detail Off
Smart Dimming Off
Smooth Motion Effect Off
Reduce Signal Noise Off
Game Low Latency Off
Film Mode Auto
Gamma 2.2

Color Tuner
Red Green Blue Cyan Magenta Yellow
Hue -10 -14 -48 19 3 -2
Saturation 16 -12 -6 -7 -8 -5
Brightness -8 8 4 -7 9 0
Offset -1 0 9
Gain 12 0 -24

11 Point White Balance
Gain Red Green Blue
10% -17 -17 -8
20% -10 -11 -11
30% -10 -9 -9
40% -7 -7 -8
50% -9 -9 -7
60% -2 -2 0
70% -1 -5 -2
80% -2 -5 -2
90% -4 -4 -4
100% -4 0 -15
post #2142 of 2147 Old 06-30-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I copied and pasted this to my notes and have been using these settings for a while.

Thank you so much I will give those settings a try.

I have another problem which is really bothering me and Vizio tech support is absolutely useless beyond power cycle and reset the Tv. I confirmed I have the latest firmware.

What is happening is after the TV powers up there is about a 10 second delay before it takes in any remote input like volume or menu. I can't imagine this 10-15 second delay is normal?

I made sure it was disconnected from the network so its not trying to pickup an IP and the only thing connected is Tivo which pops up right away along with audio but I have no way to change the channel or even lower the volume for 10-15 seconds. But after that it works perfectly fine.
post #2143 of 2147 Old 06-30-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Thank you so much I will give those settings a try.

I have another problem which is really bothering me and Vizio tech support is absolutely useless beyond power cycle and reset the Tv. I confirmed I have the latest firmware.

What is happening is after the TV powers up there is about a 10 second delay before it takes in any remote input like volume or menu. I can't imagine this 10-15 second delay is normal?

I made sure it was disconnected from the network so its not trying to pickup an IP and the only thing connected is Tivo which pops up right away along with audio but I have no way to change the channel or even lower the volume for 10-15 seconds. But after that it works perfectly fine.
It does take a few seconds to "boot up".
Not sure if that's an issue or just the way the tv comes up.

I use Directv as a source and it takes a few seconds to boot up to screen.
post #2144 of 2147 Old 07-01-2017, 03:06 PM

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but I don't have an issue with it booting up. I get the picture from my Tivo after I hit the power button within 2-3 seconds this is perfect normal and acceptable. The issue I have is that once the picture and audio is present I can't change the channel or lower the volume at all for a good 10-15 seconds.

I called Visio again and their next level tech stated that Vizio tv's without smartcast have the Apps built into the tv itself so that is why it takes time to initialize these apps and the remote is not responsive. They didn't have an 80" model but another model that they said the 10-15 seconds is normal. This is quite irritating b/c if you leave the volume up when you turn it off and turn the tv back on later you can't lower the volume for 10-15 seconds. I don't understand how this is acceptable to Vizio.

The new models with Smartcast which load the apps from the internet based on what tech support stated does not have this delay. Frustrating but it is what it is I guess.
post #2145 of 2147 Old 07-01-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but I don't have an issue with it booting up. I get the picture from my Tivo after I hit the power button within 2-3 seconds this is perfect normal and acceptable. The issue I have is that once the picture and audio is present I can't change the channel or lower the volume at all for a good 10-15 seconds.

I called Visio again and their next level tech stated that Vizio tv's without smartcast have the Apps built into the tv itself so that is why it takes time to initialize these apps and the remote is not responsive. They didn't have an 80" model but another model that they said the 10-15 seconds is normal. This is quite irritating b/c if you leave the volume up when you turn it off and turn the tv back on later you can't lower the volume for 10-15 seconds. I don't understand how this is acceptable to Vizio.

The new models with Smartcast which load the apps from the internet based on what tech support stated does not have this delay. Frustrating but it is what it is I guess.
I guess I just turn mine down before turning it off. lol

I have a prism mounted on the IR sensor/receiver.
post #2146 of 2147 Old 07-02-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but I don't have an issue with it booting up. I get the picture from my Tivo after I hit the power button within 2-3 seconds this is perfect normal and acceptable. The issue I have is that once the picture and audio is present I can't change the channel or lower the volume at all for a good 10-15 seconds.j

That would drive me nuts. I never had this issue with mine. Seems you need 2nd level support.
post #2147 of 2147 Old 07-03-2017, 12:29 PM

Thanks guys, it absolutely drives me nuts, I have to be mindful when turning off the tv or if its on a sleep timer. I can remember to lower the volume but others in the house not so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page