AVS Forum banner

Vizio 80" M801D-A3 owners thread

228K views 2K replies 217 participants last post by  acslater20 
#1 ·
I have one of these coming and I couldn't find a dedicated owners thread for it. I know there is a combined thread for the M series, but, I am not interested in the smaller sizes (that's what she said.)

#227 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/210#post_23775168

Update: Just returned from store where unit is "regular priced" at $3899. When I bought last month, it was regular priced at $3699 with $400 off. So, the upcoming $600 off may not net me anything if the regular price remains $3899 ($3899 - $600 = $3299; $3699 - $400 = $3299).

Correct because on 10/2 the current price of $3,699 (there is a $200 off rebate right now) expires and it goes to regular price of $3,899 and the October coupon special starts on 10/3 for $600 off the $3,899.

#229 ·
Is that price at Costco?

#231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/210#post_23775986

It was $3899 less $400 coupon when i bought on 9/7, wasnt aware the price was already lower by $200. How many times will Costco adjust price? Just once or multiple times?

You are correct on the September price. I looked up my receipt and also paid $3499 (from $3899), so my above numbers are wrong... and so... starting October 3, we should be able to get the $200 savings credited back to us with a price adjustment as I originally posted. AFAIK, there is no limit to the number of adjustments, so long as they fit in the adjustment period (which I think is 30 days from original purchase ???). I bought mine on 09/05, so if 30 days, 10/03 will be cutting it close.

#232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/210#post_23776021

You are correct on the September price. I looked up my receipt and also paid $3499 (from $3899), so my above numbers are wrong... and so... starting October 3, we should be able to get the $200 savings credited back to us with a price adjustment as I originally posted. AFAIK, there is no limit to the number of adjustments, so long as they fit in the adjustment period (which I think is 30 days from original purchase ???). I bought mine on 09/05, so if 30 days, 10/03 will be cutting it close.

Well technically adjustment window is 90 days. The easier way is to buy a new one and return that with the old receipt. So unlike where you return a used TV within 90 days you are returning a brand new TV so in my opinion thats ok. Costco does list a return window of 30 days anywhere as far as I know..

#236 ·
Costco remove items that are out of stock. Bad idea if you ask me. When it's back in stock, it will be added back to the site.

Reactions: phildaant
#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/210#post_23782227

When the HDTV is powered on, the bottom left corner's light is on, but it fades away. Is this by design? If so, then is there a way to keep it on all the time so viewers know that it is on?

Yes, setting in menu. Default is to fade away so you don't have to stare at a giant glowing light while you're watching TV in a dark room.

#242 ·
So last week got my mom & dad the 55" M, everyone loved the 3-D effects and the picture was really great right out of the box. I have already planned out my space for a 70" that I was going to buy this next week...(what furniture/center at IKEA) I need to buy to fit into my 120" wide area....But DAMN....Costco has just announced that $600 discount starting this week on this 80" baby.....good thing I didn't already buy the furniture.....Oh Well, back to the drawing board.....and YEP I'm getting this one.

#243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by labboypro  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/210#post_23782619

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/210#post_23782227

When the HDTV is powered on, the bottom left corner's light is on, but it fades away. Is this by design? If so, then is there a way to keep it on all the time so viewers know that it is on?

Yes, setting in menu. Default is to fade away so you don't have to stare at a giant glowing light while you're watching TV in a dark room.

Thanks. Weird that I missed that one.

#244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuixote100  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/240#post_23784472

So last week got my mom & dad the 55" M, everyone loved the 3-D effects and the picture was really great right out of the box. I have already planned out my space for a 70" that I was going to buy this next week...(what furniture/center at IKEA) I need to buy to fit into my 120" wide area....But DAMN....Costco has just announced that $600 discount starting this week on this 80" baby.....good thing I didn't already buy the furniture.....Oh Well, back to the drawing board.....and YEP I'm getting this one.

It's the same price that 200 off went away and the 600 replaced it soooo no real,savings unless your getting additional discount.

#245 ·
Just picked up this set earlier today and am having a real issue with the IR from the included remote as well as my programmed Logitech Harmony Touch. Are others having issues from their Logitech remotes? Also, I went thru this thread and didn't see any confirmation about sending audio out of the HDMI for built-in apps to AV receivers. Is this not possible?

#246 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareef777  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/240#post_23785600

Just picked up this set earlier today and am having a real issue with the IR from the included remote as well as my programmed Logitech Harmony Touch. Are others having issues from their Logitech remotes? Also, I went thru this thread and didn't see any confirmation about sending audio out of the HDMI for built-in apps to AV receivers. Is this not possible?

As a few of us have posted in this thread, the remote system is crap. Others think it's the remote. I think it's the receiver eye, since NONE of my remotes behave well... not just the included one.

For the apps question, according to a couple of discussion posts I read elsewhere (maybe a Vizio discussion board?? or Yahoo??? I don't remember), people having issues with outbound audio from apps were supposed to make sure they were set to stereo, and no 5.1. However, I have tried both and neither work for me. The ONLY way I have been able to get audio out of an app is by playing through the hideously crappy speakers built into the TV, and NOT use my many-thousand $$ high end mult-channel hooptey system. For me, the apps are a novelty, otherwise I'd be bending Vizio's ear over it. If you find a valid solution, please share.

#247 ·
Thanks for the response. Seems that you and I are sharing the exact same issues. I agree that the apps don't really matter as I stream everything thru my Apple TV anyway, but the IR issue is really irritating. Really a pity that I'll be returning the TV because of a remote control issue. I don't see how Vizio could let something like this happen.

#248 ·
A universal remote "seems to" fix this issue. If you don't have a universal remote yet, try this fix and report back:

-I think foil would also work.

And just posted from an amazon reviewer that got a universal remote:

"HOWEVER, there are only a few small gripes that I have about this TV, but def. not big enough to change my star rating from 5-Stars.

The first thing you should do when you purchase this TV is to DESTROY the remote control that it comes with. Replace it with a universal remote or Harmony, etc., but the remote that the TV comes with is a piece of crap. I say this, because the remote has to be directly pointed at the sensor of the TV (which is located on the far left, in order to control the volume, power, menu, etc. Depending on where I sit on the couch, I had to sometime contort my arms so the Remote signal can reach the TV. I thought that maybe it was the batteries, so I replaced them with brand new batteries, but the same issues came about. I was then afraid it was TV itself that caused this, and not the remote, so I went to Best Buy to pick up a $15 universal remote control, and guess what?.....The problem disappeared!! Once again, $15 dollars from Best Buy fixed my problem..haha!! I loved some of the buttons that the 'original' remote had, such as the 'Netflix' and 'Hulu' direct buttons, so I just used the learning function on the universal remote to learn those Netflix/Hulu buttons. Now I can point my remote anywhere, and the TV will respond to it."

Let us know how you make out.

#249 ·
Where are y'all seeing the costco oct 1st price?

#250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD  /t/1480880/vizio-80-m801d-a3-owners-thread/240#post_23786821

Where are y'all seeing the costco oct 1st price?

Reactions: labboypro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.