Fastslappy and tlwiz1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ordered last Wednesday, arrived at dealer yesterday, installed this morning. I'm showing the shipping pictures as many asked about transporting in a pickup. The connectors are on the left side when you are facing the tv.

tlwiz1 likes this.
post #3 of 187 Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I've just turned it on. Haven't played with the settings. I will say that the applications and menus are responsive. Hooked to the wifi quick and played a video off the net quick.Seems more reflective then the plasma I had, but almost irrelevant from primary seating position. Have taken a picture from that position just so you can see what I see. Looks bigger in person then it does on the camera.

tlwiz1 likes this.
post #4 of 187 Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I a Panasonic VIERA S1 Series TC-P65S1 65-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV, Black. Was purchased 9/2/09. Have included pictures as some may be wondering what the difference looks like. As you can see, I removed the cabinet and relocated the DirecTV to the "pot shelve" above the tv area.

post #5 of 187 Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

It plays very loud, clear on directv music channel, but seems muddy on the utube source I tried. Of course on some feeds you can spot more flaws, but seems more a function of direcTV as some channels are clear. I hate menu lag, and I have to say this TV just doesn't have it in the smart apps or in it's own menus. This last web picture seems to sum it up pretty well.

tlwiz1 likes this.
post #6 of 187 Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 11
Very nice.. which wall mount did you use?
post #7 of 187 Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettcp View Post

Very nice.. which wall mount did you use?

The local dealer mounted it. I sit mainly offset, so I wanted a full motion mount. The pointed out that it would be very far off the wall. So they used a cheap mount with 5 degree tilt. The bottom of the tv is fat, probably the built in speakers. This portion of the tv is very close, if not touching, the wall. The top of the tv is about 4 inches from the wall. The mount was somewhat limited in placement, but then again my interior wall had 24 inch on center studs. Luckily two were closer to each other in the center. There is no adjustment on this mount. I think the part number is plaw-1000.

post #8 of 187 Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Day 2, I have noticed one problem with the picture. On light, bright screens, you can see a shadow on either side of the screen. Approximately 1 inch from the edge and 1 inch in width. On white screens it is a brown, other screens it's just a little darkness. Not horrible, but I do not remember reading it in the other 90 thread. Here is a picture which really does not show it, but it is visible.

post #9 of 187 Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post

Day 2, I have noticed one problem with the picture. On light, bright screens, you can see a shadow on either side of the screen. Approximately 1 inch from the edge and 1 inch in width. On white screens it is a brown, other screens it's just a little darkness. Not horrible, but I do not remember reading it in the other 90 thread. Here is a picture which really does not show it, but it is visible.

there are some reports of slight banding like in your pix reported with the 745

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #10 of 187 Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

My overall impressions might be more to do with switching from plasma to lcd. The picture is amazingly bright and clear and the details are amazing. I'm sure the size makes it more impressive, but I'm seeing details that were just lost in the plasma. The installer played with the user setting for a few seconds to get the picture slightly better. I have not been able to do much better. The default modes go from dead people to orange people. I know someone would ask, so I plugged in the Suzook settings, which I believe was for an 80 Sharp. Anyway, very bright but immediately Craig Ferguson has red eyes and things seemed blurry. Great skin tones and very bright though. Went back and took picture of the lady newscaster on GMA, and Katie was on so I took her picture with Suzook and in Movie mode as factory set. The picture settings are the default when you hit Menu, and you can see most of the picture as you play with things. I believe the blurry picture is caused by too much white being added to the back ground. I turned Active Contrast from Off back to Advanced. Was a little too much color, so I turned it to Standard and that seems good so far. Very noticeable changes as you cycle through those changes. First two pictures, Suzook and last Movie.

post #11 of 187 Old 07-10-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

the 645 & 2012 745 90"ers are completely different birds , the 645 is a new dual core processor build & is nothing like the 2012 models in the PCB's the screens are the same but everything else is new tech
the 754 & the 80" 632 were a just about same electronics build to each other & that is why the Suzook settings work so well with a 745 90" as the Sukook setting was from a Pro cal done by a big name in the business for the 80" 632 when that model 1st came out .

Mike

post #12 of 187 Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

I agree. Just thought I would try it out.
post #13 of 187 Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post

I agree. Just thought I would try it out.
by all means try everything !
You're our AVS Test Bunny smile.gif just kidding cool.gif
I am thinking of getting this model after Xmas & moving my 80" 632 into the bedroom

are you thinking of doing a professional calibration ? ?

Mike

post #14 of 187 Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I overwrote the Dynamic setting so no big loss. I actually like some of the skin tones, but does seem to make things a little blurry. I would do a professional calibration, however I live in the middle of nowhere so it might not be an option. Also, I'm a little worried that it will look like "Movie" mode, whereas the colors are really muted. There are a ton of settings and I do not think I could change them even with a meter.

Wallpaper mode: The main difference between this and the old one with a Roku added on was the wallpaper mode. I thought this would be interesting, despite the fact that if I'm in my house the tv is on so not sure when I was thinking I would see it. They ship the tv with 3 stock art images. You can plug in a USB stick with pictures. I took all the images from my phone for the last year and put them in the correct folder and tried it out. You have to switch the tv to Quick Start Mode. You can do this with out activating the wallpaper mode. The TV boots up quick, so not sure why you would use the quick start mode but it's there. So once you have the usb in, and turn off the tv, your pictures will begin to display, in directory order. During the day it looks pretty nice. If you actually start looking at them though, they only rotate every three minutes. You would think that the next time you turn it off it would start again where it finished, but it seems to advance 1 picture from where it started the last time you turned it off. So even though I let it run all night, when I turned it off again, it started on picture 5 in the list, as it was the fifth time I turned it off since activating the feature. Again it looks cool, a real nice back drop. At night though this is the largest night light you have ever seen. Even in the reduced power mode this thing is super bright when the room is dark. So it's a cool feature, but I still feel guilty knowing it's on when I'm leaving the house or going to sleep. Energy star sticker said $28 a year, so not sure why I'm feeling guilty, but I just do. Other then that I wish it used OPC (automatic brightness control) so that at night it was dimmer and that the pictures rotated a little faster.

Applications: I have had 50/50 luck on these. Only tried a few, and some worked right away and some did not work even after a few attempts (through SmartCentral Pandora and Picasa failed). The main app is probably netflix which I have not tried. I wish it had Amazon video, but it does not. It does have Hulu but I have not tried that either. It is a pain trying to type with the remote, but no big surprise there. Also has a YouTube app, and something called VUDU which has movies, and then another series of apps (Picassa worked there although I did not try to log in). The was updated on the first day, and I imagine they could update and add stuff in the future. Nice thing is when you hit Exit your back to watching tv in only a second. The manual flat out states that your keyboard may not work with the tv, but I have not tried it.
post #15 of 187 Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 PM

Would you mind posting a close up of a bezel corner? It is a brushed finish, a flat black or gloss black? Thanks!
post #16 of 187 Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

It seems to be a brushed flat black on aluminum finish. There are some marks left over from the protective wrap that I have not cleaned, you really can't see them unless you are really close.

post #17 of 187 Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks! That looks great with the brushed finish.. I'm on the fence between the 90" 657 or the 80" 857".. with the 80" under $4k out the door, it makes it tough to justify shelling out another $3k for the additional 10".. especially with the 4K sets around the corner.
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #18 of 187 Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettcp View Post

Thanks! That looks great with the brushed finish.. I'm on the fence between the 90" 657 or the 80" 857".. with the 80" under $4k out the door, it makes it tough to justify shelling out another $3k for the additional 10".. especially with the 4K sets around the corner.
I agree. And another avsmember just bought the 80" 844 for $2999 shipped from BB!! I think I cannot justify the 90" anymore unless it is under $5000 which will not happen.
post #19 of 187 Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

I was a plasma guy, but got the 70" Sharp 632 at Costco a couple years ago, when it went on sale at Thanksgiving for $1899, which was smoking, at the time. I love it...really do!

I'm downsizing the house, and paying off some debt, so I have a few extra dollars to spend. Was thinking about going to the 80", when...BAM!! I walked into Costco two weeks ago, and there was the 90-incher!! It's at $7499 right now, until 8/31.

As much as I'd like to save the money, and get the 80", those extra 10 inches are calling to me!! Talk about an immersive home theater experience!!
post #20 of 187 Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

by all means try everything !
You're our AVS Test Bunny smile.gif just kidding cool.gif
I am thinking of getting this model after Xmas & moving my 80" 632 into the bedroom

are you thinking of doing a professional calibration ? ?

80" in the bedroom?eek.gif are you nuts?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #21 of 187 Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

80" in the bedroom?eek.gif are you nuts?
no , my wife is bed ridden at times & can not sit in a chair any length of time ,So desk work is out of the question for her , So a large display in the bedroom would make the windows desktop very easy to use as she lays back at 10 from the 46"er that is in there now , the zoom feature takes away alot of the visible screen page & she can't see the type very well with the 46 inches she now has . l use my 80" for computer work in the livingroom & I sit back at 10 feet & see type just fine . I am using that right now .

Mike

post #22 of 187 Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

no , my wife is bed ridden at times & can not sit in a chair any length of time ,So desk work is out of the question for her , So a large display in the bedroom would make the windows desktop very easy to use as she lays back at 10 from the 46"er that is in there now , the zoom feature takes away alot of the visible screen page & she can't see the type very well with the 46 inches she now has . l use my 80" for computer work in the livingroom & I sit back at 10 feet & see type just fine . I am using that right now .

Fair enough, I just think 80" is overkill for bedroom but if it serves the purpose in your situation, that's good.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #23 of 187 Old 07-20-2013, 03:48 PM

First time posting (that I remember) but I have been Eyeing the 745 for quite some time. I was waiting for the 745 to go below 6K and it is almost there. I walked in the local BB and told them I could buy the 745 for 6K and they priced matched me for the 657. So today I purchased the set for the for 6K and got 24 months financing with 0% interest for 24 months. I believe this to be a good deal but would like forum members opinion. I am replacing a Mits 82.
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #24 of 187 Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Sounds like a great deal. I am jealous! I'm curious to hear how much better the picture quality is over the Mits. Please update your results! Enjoy!
post #25 of 187 Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know what the differences are between the 657 and the 745? Thanks
post #26 of 187 Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post

Does anyone know what the differences are between the 657 and the 745? Thanks
new electrics new dual processor , new browser , same panel

Mike

post #27 of 187 Old 08-14-2013, 10:43 AM

Okay, so a slight delay from order date to delivery but I expect delivery within a week.

Question: I purchased the Peerless ST680P Tilt Wall Mount for 61" to 102" Displays. I know how to mount the "mount" but I am not sure as to what height I should mount this 90? I scoured the owners manual but I did not find the answer to my question.Can someone here provide some advice.

There are 14' from my eyes to the TV (17'x17' room). The walls are 9". Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
post #28 of 187 Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienmilcien View Post

The walls are 9". Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

FIRST, get taller walls! biggrin.gif
post #29 of 187 Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwiz1 View Post

FIRST, get taller walls! biggrin.gif

Yup, 9 Feet, NINE FEET, 9'. What I should have written. Thanks
post #30 of 187 Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienmilcien View Post

Yup, 9 Feet, NINE FEET, 9'. What I should have written. Thanks

Sorry!tongue.gif I just couldn't resist.

Good luck and enjoy the new tv! I'm SUPER jealous...still have to watch my 34" Sony until I can afford a nicer tv.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 90le657 90 Inch Led 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page