Best LED TV for DVD viewing, no TV, only DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sky Masterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have been researching and reading the posts here for over a two weeks, so allow me to ask your opinions on exactly what I am looking for;

Which LED TV is most practical for viewing DVDs - no TV, no video games, no internet, just DVD's?


I was about to pull the trigger on the SAMSUNG UN46F6350, however, do I need 1080 and all the bells and whistles that come with this model or is a 5000 or 5300 series better suited for what I will be using the TV for?


Thank you for taking the time to read and expressing your opinions.
Sky Masterson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
No blurays?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sky Masterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently no, but I will be using bluray as soon as I make the TV purchase.
Sky Masterson is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
No such thing as a "LED" TV. They are all LCD's. wink.gif
LCD are poor at SD, Plasmas are better, but DLP's are best, but discontinued unfortunately. LCD need 1:1 pixel mapping to produce the best image which makes them great for PC's. DVD's even with up converting won't look the greatest on a LCD panel. remember DVD is only SD, a enhanced version of analog TV. What NTSC could of looked like if it wasn't make backward compatible with B&W TV's back in the 60's wink.gif
Quote:
Currently no, but I will be using bluray as soon as I make the TV purchase.
Even they are power hogs, have you considered Plasmas since you will be going BluRay?

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
fritzi93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

What NTSC could of looked like if it wasn't make backward compatible with B&W TV's back in the 60's wink.gif

Heh.

NTSC= Never The Same Color. tongue.gif
fritzi93 is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,161
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce 
No such thing as a "LED" TV. They are all LCD's. wink.gif
LCD are poor at SD, Plasmas are better, but DLP's are best, but discontinued unfortunately. LCD need 1:1 pixel mapping to produce the best image which makes them great for PC's. DVD's even with up converting won't look the greatest on a LCD panel. remember DVD is only SD, a enhanced version of analog TV. What NTSC could of looked like if it wasn't make backward compatible with B&W TV's back in the 60's wink.gif
Quote:
Currently no, but I will be using bluray as soon as I make the TV purchase.
Even they are power hogs, have you considered Plasmas since you will be going BluRay?
I owned several LCd's and can tell you that LCd (in general) is not poor at SD. When the quality of a DVD sucks then it will look poor on a LCd or Plasma. When a DVD looks relative good (in general) it will look good on a LCD and Plasma.

According The Home Cinema Guide Plasma and LCd have the same basic screen design - a fixed grid of pixels - therefore you will basically get the same result when watching SD. Its the scaling that makes the difference..
http://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/is-plasma-better-than-lcd-for-sd-tv-pictures.html#axzz2Ye6lWlfh
8mile13 is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,380
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

No such thing as a "LED" TV. They are all LCD's. wink.gif
LCD are poor at SD, Plasmas are better, but DLP's are best, but discontinued unfortunately. LCD need 1:1 pixel mapping to produce the best image which makes them great for PC's. DVD's even with up converting won't look the greatest on a LCD panel. remember DVD is only SD, a enhanced version of analog TV. What NTSC could of looked like if it wasn't make backward compatible with B&W TV's back in the 60's wink.gif
Even they are power hogs, have you considered Plasmas since you will be going BluRay?
Well we use the term LED so we can differentiate between what type of lighting. LED lit offers a brighter picture, better colors and better black levels so if one just says LCD then we are to assume the older lit type. But you should already know this.

Also, as 8mile said it is not the TV type that matters on how SD will look but the TV's upscaling and conversion software. Samsung is one of the best when it comes to upscaling.

And what does going BluRay have to do with getting a plasma or LED?
eric3316 is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
When a DVD looks relative good (in general) it will look good on a LCD and Plasma.
It looks better on a Plasma, but better still on a DLP.

.
Quote:
LED lit offers a brighter picture, better colors and better black levels
Maybe, maybe and only if it has local dimming, if you don't mind halos.

.
Quote:
And what does going BluRay have to do with getting a plasma or LED?
Everything, it's a HD source, no scaling. BTW, I have a Samsung LCD and it will be my last Samsung. Great for ttex, terrible for closeup details, faces especially. You were think everything with fine details was SD superimposed over any text on the screen. I clearly see the difference between that and LG or Vizio (for starters).

To answer the OP's question; there is no "best" anything.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

[ And what does going BluRay have to do with getting a plasma or LED?

Not particularly to do with the type of panel, but rather the resolution of the panel. Why get a bluray if you're not able to do 1080p on the panel? That's the only reason I asked when OP said DVDs which seemed odd these days to only concentrate on DVD quality needs.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Masterson View Post

Hi I have been researching and reading the posts here for over a two weeks, so allow me to ask your opinions on exactly what I am looking for;

Which LED TV is most practical for viewing DVDs - no TV, no video games, no internet, just DVD's?


I was about to pull the trigger on the SAMSUNG UN46F6350, however, do I need 1080 and all the bells and whistles that come with this model or is a 5000 or 5300 series better suited for what I will be using the TV for?


Thank you for taking the time to read and expressing your opinions.

Any tv is practical for viewing DVD's , since you don't seem to care about the best picture quality, any LCD/plasma will fit your need. But if you are planning on watching Blurays than you definitely need a 1080p panel.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Latinoheat is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,380
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Not particularly to do with the type of panel, but rather the resolution of the panel. Why get a bluray if you're not able to do 1080p on the panel? That's the only reason I asked when OP said DVDs which seemed odd these days to only concentrate on DVD quality needs.
I agree on the getting a 1080p panel, but it does not matter if it is a LED or Plasma. That was the point I was trying to make.

Playing blurays would not tell you to get an LED or Plasma. Lots of other factors that play into that decision.
eric3316 is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Newbie
 
TristanEddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The quality of the image processing inside the TV will determine how good both LCD or plasma TVs look for standard definition images - and this will vary between models of plasma and LCD televisions.Wv7Zusmile.gif
TristanEddy is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sky Masterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Not particularly to do with the type of panel, but rather the resolution of the panel. Why get a bluray if you're not able to do 1080p on the panel? That's the only reason I asked when OP said DVDs which seemed odd these days to only concentrate on DVD quality needs.

Yeah it is a bit odd I suppose, but I dont care for TV shows, I just watch DVDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Any tv is practical for viewing DVD's , since you don't seem to care about the best picture quality, any LCD/plasma will fit your need. But if you are planning on watching Blurays than you definitely need a 1080p panel.

I do care about picture quality, that is my only concern. So for Bluray I need 1080 and for regular DVDs 720 is okay, correct?

So from whatI am reading ... the Samsung 5000 will be the biggest bang for the buck [for my needs] ? Am I correct in that assumption?


Thanks again for all the replies.
Sky Masterson is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sky Masterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want LED/LCD because from what I understand LED is the future of TV's and Plasma is an older technology. Perhaps I am wrong in my understanding, I dont really know too much about TV tech, as I am sure most of you can see.
Sky Masterson is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
I'm a plasma guy, do like my PN59D8000 very much. Especially for dvd/bluray watching, returned a Samsung LED (UN60C6300) due to the flashlighting issue primarily (but didn't know how much poorer motion and color accuracy and blacks were on the LCD compared to the plasma). Network tv doesn't have much to offer but when I do watch tv I do watch in 720p or 1080p as available (DirecTV customer). Like right now watching NBC Sports Tour de France and even tho just standard HD the set does a very nice job of upscaling....

As to DVD, you don't even need 720p, but a dvd will look even better at 1080p. I took a peek at the models you listed, aren't they all 1080p anyways?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Newbie
 
bobbyqdah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'm a plasma guy, do like my PN59D8000 very much. Especiallyx for dvd/bluray watching, returned a Samsung LED (UN60C6300) due to the flashlighting issue primarily (but didn't know how much poorer motion and color accuracy and blacks were on the LCD compared to the plasma). Network tv doesn't have much to offer but when I do watch tv I do watch in 720p or 1080p as available (DirecTV customer). Like right now watching NBC Sports Tour de France and even tho just standard HD 3.gif the set does a very nice job of upscaling....

As to DVD, you don't even need 720p, but a dvd will look even better at 1080p. I took a peek at the models you listed, aren't they all 1080p anyways?
Select the desired resolution and imaging degrees to choose, so that the child's eyes also have a protective
bobbyqdah is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Masterson View Post

I want LED/LCD because from what I understand LED is the future of TV's and Plasma is an older technology. Perhaps I am wrong in my understanding, I dont really know too much about TV tech, as I am sure most of you can see.

They both have characteristics that make one more suitable than another for a particular owner, but they're more similar than not. I wouldn't worry about the current crop, as they both could stand further improvements....worry about that next technology when it gets here (probably OLED tech but that could still be years away to a reliable large reasonably priced panel). I think plasma is more conducive to the look of film, but won't have the whitest whites, may have issues in a very bright environment, issues with ABL sometimes or Eco settings to make energy consumption requirements, may have an audible buzz, and is more prone to image retention/burn in issues. LCD tech may have issues depending on the type of lighting, most are LED now (rather than CCFL) but the edge lit ones can have issues with an even black screen in a darkened environment (flashlighting, bleeding, uneven lighting), so if anything I'd get a dimmable full rear array type LED if I were to buy an LCD panel; otherwise they have poorer off-center viewing, poorer handling of motion, poorer blacks and shadow detail. All those for both types of panel take with a grain of salt, as If you get the absolute best examples of either tech at this time they're very very close. Just hard to satisfy us picky guys who hang out in forums like this smile.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Newbie
 
bobbyqdah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'm a plasma guy, do like my PN59D8000 very much. Especially for dvd/bluray watching, returned a Samsung LED (UN60C6300) due to the flashlighting issue primarily (but didn't know how much poorer motion and color accuracy and blacks were on the LCD compared to the plasma). ak95Network tv doesn't have much to offer but when I do watch tv I do watch in 720p or 1080p as available (DirecTV customer). Like right now watching NBC Sports Tour de France and even tho just standard HD the set does a very nice job of upscaling....

As to DVD, you don't even need 720p, but a dvd will look even better at 1080p. I took a peek at the models you listed, aren't they all 1080p anyways?
so that the child's eyes also have a protective
bobbyqdah is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyqdah View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'm a plasma guy, do like my PN59D8000 very much. Especiallyx for dvd/bluray watching, returned a Samsung LED (UN60C6300) due to the flashlighting issue primarily (but didn't know how much poorer motion and color accuracy and blacks were on the LCD compared to the plasma). Network tv doesn't have much to offer but when I do watch tv I do watch in 720p or 1080p as available (DirecTV customer). Like right now watching NBC Sports Tour de France and even tho just standard HD 3.gif the set does a very nice job of upscaling....

As to DVD, you don't even need 720p, but a dvd will look even better at 1080p. I took a peek at the models you listed, aren't they all 1080p anyways?
Select the desired resolution and imaging degrees to choose, so that the child's eyes also have a protective

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyqdah View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'm a plasma guy, do like my PN59D8000 very much. Especially for dvd/bluray watching, returned a Samsung LED (UN60C6300) due to the flashlighting issue primarily (but didn't know how much poorer motion and color accuracy and blacks were on the LCD compared to the plasma). ak95Network tv doesn't have much to offer but when I do watch tv I do watch in 720p or 1080p as available (DirecTV customer). Like right now watching NBC Sports Tour de France and even tho just standard HD the set does a very nice job of upscaling....

As to DVD, you don't even need 720p, but a dvd will look even better at 1080p. I took a peek at the models you listed, aren't they all 1080p anyways?
so that the child's eyes also have a protective


???

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sky Masterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

As to DVD, you don't even need 720p, but a dvd will look even better at 1080p. I took a peek at the models you listed, aren't they all 1080p anyways?

Yes the UN46F6350/or the 6300 is 1080.

I'm really confused now. I think I'll just go with the 6350 or 6300 for best all around picture.
Sky Masterson is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
I thought I saw even the 5000 was. What are you confused about now?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sky Masterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I thought I saw even the 5000 was. What are you confused about now?

Yes, you are correct the 5000 is 1080, in my confusion I thought it was 720.

Okay, I am going with the 5000 series, I dont need all the stuff that the 6300/6350 offers.
Sky Masterson is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Cool. We have time to catch the last plane back to New York... smile.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is online now  
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Since DVDs are only 480i(SD) resolution shouldn't be a concern but when several years ago when I tried a 720p Panasonic plasma I couldn't stand the picture. I could see every scan line and it was very irritating, I couldn't see the scan lines on the Panasonic 1080p plasmas(or 720p LCDs for that matter). I ended up with a 720p Panasonic LCD and still use it as a secondary TV to this day, it looks great with SD(and quite good with HD also).
I think the most important consideration when playing SD is the contrast ration of the screen. It's one reason I think SD looks like crap on cheaper LCDs(westinghouse, insignia, etc.). Those cheaper sets may look OK displaying good HD but not SD. I have better Sonys, LGs and Samsung panels and they all look very good with SD DVDs and of course HD. I also have a couple Vizios and a insignia, I don't really play SD on those TVs as I don't believe they have the contrast ratio to make a decent picture with that type of source smile.gif
Oh and for the plasma supporters, aren't plasmas supposed to have the best contrast ratio? That would help explain why they look so good with SD, for myself plasmas just didn't work due to the heat given off by them and also most of my viewing areas are brightly lite and tended to wash out or show too many reflections due to the plasmas shinny screen.
So even though for just displaying SD some might think that any cheap HDTV will work, I've found the opposite and for one that looks good even with SD you need a good set with good contrast ratio.
jjeff is offline  
 

Tags
Samsung 46led 1080p 120hz Wi Fi Web Browser Un46f6350
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off