Samsung UN46F6300 vs. LG 47LN5400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to all, I just joined AVS Forum. Considering buying one of these, leaning toward the Samsung. Any thoughts from those who own either of these series, or otherwise tried or tested them? Thanks in advance for not brow-beating about how plasma is better, don't need to read about that.

After looking at these in the store, to me it appears the color is a bit flat, less varied, with over-saturated primaries via the LG...where this particular Samsung's seem close to ideal. The Samsung also has "smart tv" features, where the LG lacks them...but the LG is priced slightly less. I don't feel the need for these, but it might be nice to have the option to use them.

The 6300 series looks like similar picture quality to the 7100 series to my eyes, and also the frame or bezel of the 6300 is kind of elegant in appearance.

I am about to return a UN40EH5000, due to motion color artifacts with dark image material. I found a thread describing this on here, the cause was apparently not known...other than supposedly this is the "sharp" panel version, where the Samsung panel version does not have this artifact. This 5000 seems to have decent color after I corrected basically every slider in the white balance menu. However I do wish there was a color temperature between "standard" and "warm 1". Black levels are more than dark enough, but shadow detail is lacking...seems better via the 6300 series, at least in the store, which I admit isn't saying much. Certainly the backlight of the 6300 panel seems very superior to the 5000, and is more evenly lit.

About what I watch: I don't play video games, also not interested in 3D. I only watch blu ray and 1080i satellite content, occasionally dvd's. The front seats have been moved fairly close to the tv in my theater room, so the smaller 46 inch size is less of an issue than if you sit across the room from it. I currently need to spend the extra money for a larger size, elsewhere.

I am not new to home theater or high end audio. I recently sold an aging Panasonic front projector, had put about 1600 hours on the lamp (mostly in "low" mode, due to my high gain Da-Lite screen...in this mode the lamp was rated for 5000 hours). Still have screen, but I'm not willing to buy a new front projector until either 1080p prices come down even more (and quality somehow goes up at the same time), or else 4k projection comes down to a more reasonable price...likely 3 or more years from now.

Again, thank you for your time and knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

No replies and 43 views huh?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM

Checking in for replies as well, heh.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure if this is "the silent treatment"...??
post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You're probably not getting replies because threads asking for an opinion, especially about two different brands, don't get a lot of response here. And you seem knowledgeable enough that you're not picking up the elementary help a total novice might receive.

You'll get better info if you check out the owner's threads for each model. There, you may also get some real comparison between the brands as some owners will have exchanged one model for the other brand. And you can ask specific questions owners can answer.

With regard to the Samsung models you mention, the 5000 is a 60 Hz set without any possible adjustment for smooth motion you may find useful in an LCD. The 6000 series is a 120Hz set with a motion smoothing feature. The 7100, also a 120Hz set, has an ultra clear panel, the glossy screen, whereas lower series have a semi-matte screen. The glossy screen is responsible for giving the picture the "pop" Samsung sets are known for. Good luck.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. Not sure I believe your reason for not getting more replies. This is a forum; since when do people not want to compare two different brands? Is it because the moderators don't allow that? If so, then I guess I do understand, since it could incite more disagreement.

But when someone is trying to pick a tv to buy, often they compare brands, and aren't locked into one brand.

I didn't notice the 7100's screen being much more glossy than the 6300's, but I suppose it could be. The 6300's is more glossy than the matte screen on the 5000. I already knew the 5000 was a 60Hz tv, but apparently the motion artifact I am noticing, is not due to it being 60Hz. It's due to the whole "panel lottery", where Samsung offers a good and bad panel for the same set, and you never know which one it will have. Both versions in the 5000 series have a 60 Hz refresh rate, but only one works like it should. Apparently there are also two versions of the panel in the 6300 series, so I am trying to be careful in my choice.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
movies4all-time welcome to the club. I've been posting a lot for opinions with no avail. This forum is very informative but particular opinions are hard to get. For what is worth based on the few reviews out there and some semi-professionals reviews I read at amazon.com I chose the UN32F6300 over any other display at 32"
The best way is to look for both models and see them. Overall I like more the Samsung PQ than the LG one.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Insoc, thanks for the info! Again my main concern is getting the Samsung 6300 with the panel that actually works, rather than the crappy panel. I've pretty much decided against the LG, partly because it's not a smart tv, but also because I just don't like the color as compared to the Samsung...at least from what I've seen in the store...which I admit is not always very meaningful.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movies4all-time View Post

Thanks for replying. Not sure I believe your reason for not getting more replies. This is a forum; since when do people not want to compare two different brands? Is it because the moderators don't allow that? If so, then I guess I do understand, since it could incite more disagreement.

But when someone is trying to pick a tv to buy, often they compare brands, and aren't locked into one brand.

I didn't notice the 7100's screen being much more glossy than the 6300's, but I suppose it could be. The 6300's is more glossy than the matte screen on the 5000. I already knew the 5000 was a 60Hz tv, but apparently the motion artifact I am noticing, is not due to it being 60Hz. It's due to the whole "panel lottery", where Samsung offers a good and bad panel for the same set, and you never know which one it will have. Both versions in the 5000 series have a 60 Hz refresh rate, but only one works like it should. Apparently there are also two versions of the panel in the 6300 series, so I am trying to be careful in my choice.
Well, I actually didn't give any reasons for the few replies, just an observation that new threads asking for opinions don't do well here. Only complete novices seem to get replies to help them get started.

Your best bet is to go to the owner's thread for the model you're interested in. Now that I see you're eliminating the LG's, check for a F6300 or F6400 owner's thread. There may be some panel lottery discussion there, and you might also find out if different retailers are carrying the different panels. Also go back to the store and compare the glossy screen on the F7100 to see if the picture doesn't have more "pop" than the F6300. It does.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Again, much obliged for your thoughts and advice. I had searched for the F6300 owner's thread and there is not one, but it's possible I will find the info I need in a more general thread about the Samsung panel lottery (besides using google)...and/or posing the question in that thread.

I did not see the ES7100 and the F6300 side by side (nor were they the same size), but I don't recall noticing much if any difference in the "pop" factor...and they were playing the same looped store content. Do you own the 7100? The price difference between the two is currently 62%. For that huge increase, you get 3D and 240Hz. I don't care about 3D, I've seen it enough at the IMAX 3D theater and on my brother's Sony 3D tv. I just went to see "Pacific Rim" in IMAX yesterday...it did not benefit from 3D all that much. Much of the monster vs. robot shots are CG animated for distance perspective, so the artificial 3D "depth" gets collapsed there anyway. The loud sound effects were done very well...the "scary" music reminded me of Spielberg's remake of "War of the Worlds". Lots of loud, menacing deep brass notes from the orchestra! But generally 3D content looks fake; it's a gimmick, and worst of all the color is always ruined no matter what technique is used (even the so called active glasses). So unless you're saying this added "pop" you've seen, is definitely worth paying 62% more, I'm not sure why we're even discussing it. Obviously from what I have seen, there's very little appreciable difference.

In any event, the F6300 had plenty of "pop" for my taste, nice contrast, great color, and what appeared to be even panel illumination from the edge LED's. Certainly the viewing "cone" was improved over the 5000, but it still got dimmer off axis compared to a plasma. I'll admit it's possible or even likely that the ES7100 has a wider viewing cone than the F6300 (although it might also depend on the size of the panel). I just want to make sure I don't get the bad version of the panel that was designed by a room full of chimps amped up on redbull...who prefer even narrower viewing cones, complete with ugly pink halo motion artifacts around dark objects.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movies4all-time View Post

In any event, the F6300 had plenty of "pop" for my taste, nice contrast, great color, and what appeared to be even panel illumination from the edge LED's. Certainly the viewing "cone" was improved over the 5000, but it still got dimmer off axis compared to a plasma. I'll admit it's possible or even likely that the ES7100 has a wider viewing cone than the F6300 (although it might also depend on the size of the panel). I just want to make sure I don't get the bad version of the panel that was designed by a room full of chimps amped up on redbull...who prefer even narrower viewing cones, complete with ugly pink halo motion artifacts around dark objects.

I didn't see an official F6300 thread either, but did find a F6350 thread which is a Costco version of the 6300. 6300 owners have adopted it, too:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467138/official-samsung-un-f6350-series-led-tv-owners-thread
Also, there is a F6400 thread, which is a similar model, you could it check out.

I don't own a 7100, but have a Samsung 52" A860, a 2008 model with an ultra clear glossy panel. I've helped a dozen friends buy and install TVs in the last five years and personally like the glossy screen better than the matte models some of them selected. The 7100 is the lowest cost new Samsung model with a glossy screen that could replace my set. That's why I mentioned it.

But 62% is a pretty steep premium for you to pay since, from your last paragraph above, you seem to like the 6300. Maybe you should take a leap of faith and go with it. The more you read these threads, the more hesitant you'll become. Actually, read the Best Buy and Amazon customer reviews to see if average guy is liking it. Good Luck.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Dfp, thanks again for your help. I will look over that thread. Interesting that Costco needs their own version of the tv, haha. I've pretty much decided on the 6300. Again, the screen does not look as matte as the 5000. I prefer a non-glossy screen anyway...so a screen that is more glossy than the 5000, but less glossy than what you are talking about, would be ideal. I notice the panel on this 5000 I'm returning says "version 03", so will be interesting to see which is the "good panel" version of the 6300.

Yes, I would never pay a 62% premium like that ($1200 vs $750), for basically no improvement. If I were rich and had kids who were going to watch 3D content on the tv on our luxury yacht all the time...and I wanted to spoil them as much as kids get spoiled these days, then I would probably have the desire and disposable income to pay the extra money. Then I'd buy the Sony 4k front projector for my home theater on the yacht, for $25k.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lh90
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page