New TV Advice - PQ Important! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently looking to upgrade my tv and would appreciate people's input. By far, the most important feature to me is picture quality (including a strong refresh rate). Smart features and 3D are bonus, but far from required.

In doing brief in person and online research, I really like both Sonys and Samsungs. That being said, I'm very open to any brand if it gives me the best picture. The tv would be for my living room, which is fairly well lit. I'd be looking for a 55" to 60".

Again, I'd greatly appreciate input here. I'm not looking for a bargain tv, more a high quality picture. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Sony W802, W900 - LCD
Samsung 8000 -LCD

Panasonic ST60,VT60,ZT60 - Plasma
Samsung F8500 - Plasma

Or if you don't have a budget, Sony XBR900A. They all have pros and cons but these are the best.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 19 Old 07-16-2013, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Top 5 when you consider price and picture quality.

1. Panasonic 60ST60
2. LG 60LA7400
3. Sony 55W900A
4. Samsung 60F8000
5. Panasonic 60VT60

Like I said these are the Best TV's rated price/picture quality.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #4 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbury021 View Post

I'm currently looking to upgrade my tv and would appreciate people's input. By far, the most important feature to me is picture quality (including a strong refresh rate). Smart features and 3D are bonus, but far from required.

In doing brief in person and online research, I really like both Sonys and Samsungs. That being said, I'm very open to any brand if it gives me the best picture. The tv would be for my living room, which is fairly well lit. I'd be looking for a 55" to 60".

Again, I'd greatly appreciate input here. I'm not looking for a bargain tv, more a high quality picture. Thanks in advance!
I think you need to determine whether to your eyes you prefer Plasma or LCD. Personally I hate Plasma after having owned one in a Bright Room with tall windows facing south. Too dim, dirty whites that can look urinated on, and trying to view a dark movie or video game on a sunny day was useless. According to recent flat panel shootouts in NY the Panasonic Plasma's have won but understand that the audience is primarily made up of Plasma fan boys and sponsored by Panasonic and Pioneer Elite Die-Hards that I once followed as a Lemming on this forum and I hated the plasma experience in my viewing environment and took a big loss a week later to sell it to a plasma fan on this forum to get it out of my house.

Find out which camp your in first and at a minimum buy with return rights. Don't ever trust anyone else for what pleases your eyes and viewing environment limitations.

If you find yourself in the Plasma Camp then the Samsung Plasma has more LCD like traits - I think it's a 64" PN64F8500 and of course Panasonic 60VT series.

LCD - If you can be patient Sharp has a Ultra HD panel debuting next month and it appears it may be taking over for the Elite and may have a Moth Eye Panel if it follows the Japanese version which dramatically reduces reflections. Samsung F8000 60" (however, I recommend going 65" minimum - I own a 60" Samsung from 2 years ago and it seems small even from 8' as the bezel and panel is so streamlined. Sony 900 or 950 series going as large as possible - you'll be shocked how quickly the screen shrinks diminishing your WoW factor.

Believe me on this forum it's next to impossible to find the best panel as the best panel is that which meets your EYE's preference and makes you dip into your wallet to make a purchase regardless of what the crowd says or even a flat panel shootout.

Also, read reviews at Amazon and Best Buy where OCD folks aren't necessarily tainting the process and reposting their negatives a hundred times over. Good Luck!

Don't be a Lemming! But enjoy your preference and choice. wink.gif
John4721, emporio, GatorJZ and 2 others like this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #5 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
^^^ great post, couldn't agree more smile.gif
post #6 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
^^^^^ absolutely agree as well.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

+1 I don't see the quality picture some say plasma has I have plasma and still do my LED far exceeds it. Its too dim

KJ
post #8 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:

The tv would be for my living room, which is fairly well lit. I'd be looking for a 55" to 60".

That right there takes away some of plasma's advantage in better blacks/contrast ratio.

Anyway, I agree with westa6969 as well. Only you can decide, and it's not quite the open and shut case that some of plasma's more vehement supporters make it out to be. I would however pose the question in reverse: which of the drawbacks (neither tech is perfect) can you live with?

I have a plasma that was my main TV for several years (now in my study) and got used to it. I can see dot crawl and flicker, but it didn't really bother me, nor did the sometimes dingy whites. You can get used to things. Color, motion, viewing angle, blacks, etc, are still very good. I got a bit of burn in early on. There wasn't much 16:9 content yet on TV when I got it, and 4:3 viewing left visible pillar boxing. The burn in slowly disappeared as the set aged, but it still is prone to image retention.

When it came time to upgrade, passive 3D was a requirement, so I was looking at LED/LCD by default. So I got a 65" LG. Then I decided I wanted a 70" in my HT and the 65" passive went to the living room. (BTW, you wouldn't think 5" would be much of an upgrade, but you'd be wrong). So it was LED/LCD again, this time a non-3D Sharp (I find I don't watch 3D all that much and can still watch it on the LG occasionally). Both are edge-lit and suffer a bit from non-uniformity; to see it during normal viewing you have to be in a dark room, looking hard for it. Blacks are okay on the Sharp, mediocre at best on the LG. Since I don't often watch in a darkened room, it's acceptable. And I happen to like interpolation. Color, viewing angle, motion, are acceptable. Since I also use the 70" as a monitor for my HTPC, I don't have to worry about burn-in or IR with LED/LCD. So I can live with LCD as well as plasma.

I confess that if I could have gotten a 70" (or bigger) plasma at a reasonable price, I might have gone with one for my HT, and exercised some basic precautions to avoid burn-in. Supposedly it's not as easy to burn in a plasma these days.

So consider your requirements and pick something that looks good to you. Good luck whatever you get. And I urge you to go big. tongue.gif
post #9 of 19 Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post

+1 I don't see the quality picture some say plasma has I have plasma and still do my LED far exceeds it. Its too dim

You must have a crappy low end plasma than.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #10 of 19 Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

Top 5 when you consider price and picture quality.

1. Panasonic 60ST60
2. LG 60LA7400
3. Sony 55W900A
4. Samsung 60F8000
5. Panasonic 60VT60

Like I said these are the Best TV's rated price/picture quality.

Great suggestions. I'm looking for an 80" for a similar situation - bright room, etc. What would you recommend in that size?
It's a bright room with a viewing distance 10+ feet. Primarily used for movies (Blue Ray/ DVD/ Streaming) and gaming.
Picture quality is important as well, smart tv apps are not a big deal and neither is on-board speakers.

Thanks!
post #11 of 19 Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Telling the guy only he can decide is kind of a waste of time since he is asking for outside opinions. I'm sure he will make the final choice. But unless you can afford to take your top few choices home and audition them, which for most of us an unlikely scenario, you are at the mercy of evaluating a TV in three different ways. In a store viewing, or reading professional reviews, or checking with the folks here. The problem with in store evaluating is that you're at the mercy of how the TV was set up as well as viewing under lighting conditions that most likely are nothing like you will have in your home. Professional reviews are the least likely to lead you astray even though you are basing your choice on someone that is more involved in determining how a display renders black levels, contrast, color saturation, and overall performance based on industry standards that may or may not appeal to your eye. They do however give you a solid starting point to tweak from. Lastly you can read opinions here. Fun for sure. Interesting and informative for sure. But biased more often than not. I hate LCD no matter what. It sucks and will never ever be any good (Artwood). Plasma isn't bright enough and will soon no longer be manufactured. (Samsung's 8500 series is very very bright). Plasma's potential demise may be postponed as the future of the next great technology, OLED, may never see the light of affordable day. So in the end use all three methods, blend them together, try and weed out the biased opinions and recognize the informed ones. Then cross your fingers and hope your choice doesn't suck. And if you're married, her opinion is the only one that counts. Seriously.
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Sony W802, W900 - LCD
Samsung 8000 -LCD

Panasonic ST60,VT60,ZT60 - Plasma
Samsung F8500 - Plasma

Or if you don't have a budget, Sony XBR900A. They all have pros and cons but these are the best.

This is a great list IMO that exactly responds to OP's criteria. It's right on the money (no pun intended).

I would only add last year's Sony KDL-55HX950, which was the last back-lit full-array w/local dimming LED display offered. If you can find a good one (new, used, or unused open-box), you should be very pleased with your purchase. BTW, a quick search shows Video & Audio Center via Amazon currently has a "like new" open-box set for sale for under $2600 with full Sony warranty.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Meh, plasma.

I think the high-end plasmas are pretty nice. But for me, spending $3K or more on a 65” TV is soooo 2011. And the 65” ST60 is crippled with input lag…I’ll pass. And I can only read so much about black levels. I get it…you want your blacks to be black, without black crush, loss of shadow detail, etc. But when your whites look yellowed….I can’t see the hype. Also, where’s the passive 3D options for plasma? All I see is active. I can’t wait until plasma finally dies off, for good this time.

I will say that if you spend too much time reading on this forum about which TV to pick, you will never buy a TV. They all have negatives.

I generally find the LCD section of this forum to be more informative than the plasma section because we don’t waste thought over which TV has .0000000000000001 difference in black level over another.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for everyone's advice! I spent a lot of today out looking at different models and really liked the picture on the Sony 55W900a.

That being said, I do take the point that bigger may be better, so I started looking at the Sony 70R550A and Samsung F8000 in 65" and 70". Of those, I think I had a slight preference for the Samsung. There was also a Sharp that looked pretty good at 70". I struggle with the Panasonic plasmas because my room can be fairly well lit at times. Are there any models I'm leaving out in the 60" - 70" range?

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
post #15 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Thanks so much for everyone's advice! I spent a lot of today out looking at different models and really liked the picture on the Sony 55W900a.

That being said, I do take the point that bigger may be better, so I started looking at the Sony 70R550A and Samsung F8000 in 65" and 70". Of those, I think I had a slight preference for the Samsung. There was also a Sharp that looked pretty good at 70". I struggle with the Panasonic plasmas because my room can be fairly well lit at times. Are there any models I'm leaving out in the 60" - 70" range?

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Forget Sony's R series--if PQ is your top priority, you will not be satisfied with these TV's.

Rather, you should be looking at the current model year's 4K UltraHD XBR-65X900a (retails for a whopping $7K!) and the 2011/2012 models XBR-65HX929 and XBR-65HX950 (around $4 if you can still find them) or even the KDL-65HX729 (around $2K to $2.6K for an excellent quality used or open-box set, but hard to find). All four of these sets have Sony's top-of-the-line X-Reality PRO video processor and a native refresh rate of 240Hz. The 65X900a has the TRILUMINOS panel with edge lighting, and the 65HX929/950 have full-array backlighting with local dimming. They are the only Sony's you should be comparing to the Samsung F8000.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

And if you're married, her opinion is the only one that counts. Seriously.

I agree with most of what you said but the last line is the absolute, definitive, truth biggrin.gif It's all about the WAF wink.gif
post #17 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The trick is to allow her to make the final choice, but make sure the group she is choosing from consists of YOUR top three choices. Same with size. If you want the 70" then tell her how much sense it makes to save $$ and get the 60, but you hope she doesn't regret it down the road because you've heard quite a few people wish they had gone bigger after it's too late. Is it worth saving a few hundred dollars now for something you'll probably keep for at least 5-7 years?
post #18 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ yep. Been down that road smile.gif We just started a major remodeling project and I had to use the same sort of "guidance factor" for her to understand why we needed Cat-6 installed in the wall from the "computer" room to the family room (which is one of the rooms being remodeled). She even used her Amazon Prime account to order me some keystone jacks and cover plates wink.gif
post #19 of 19 Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ you are absolutely right. I use in-store evaluations for just a general idea of how the pq is and if I can play with some of the settings, or at least see the extent of calibration options. Other than that, it's more of aesthetics than anything else (design, matte screen or not, etc).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv , Lg Electronics 60la7400 60 Inch Cinema Screen Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page