Best 65 to 75 inch gaming TV with low input lag - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
ctishue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the 65S990A use the same panel technology as the W900 or the W850. I noticed on Sony's website that the S990A and W900A both mention deep black panel which isn't mentioned on the W850A. But then again the W900A is 960hz whereas the S990A is 480Hz.

I'm in the same boat, looking for something in the 65" range to replace my 55HX929 which I sadly cracked when moving into my new apartment. (not that noticable unless you are at the right angle to see the cracks, but still bugging me) I'm considering Sony's 18ms input lag TVs or Panasonic VT/ZT series pretty much.
ctishue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,869
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctishue View Post

Does the 65S990A use the same panel technology as the W900 or the W850.

I would guess no, because it's a part of the "S" line as opposed to the "W" line, and it has a curved screen, albeit a slight curve.

That said, I would love to see a S990A in person. It's overpriced because of the curve, but if the backlighting is even and everything else looks good, I might be tempted.
DaverJ is online now  
Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
ctishue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I would guess no, because it's a part of the "S" line as opposed to the "W" line, and it has a curved screen, albeit a slight curve.

That said, I would love to see a S990A in person. It's overpriced because of the curve, but if the backlighting is even and everything else looks good, I might be tempted.

Yea I don't mind paying extra if it is better quality than the W850a and something closer to the black level and uniformity of the W900a. I'm also considering the 4k line too.
ctishue is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Newbie
 
athom110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

The sets are displayed in the Magnolia section of Best Buy, which isn't as bright as the rest of the store.

I cooled my jets on the 850, or any new TV at the moment. The 900 is too small for my situation.

I keep thinking about the 65" VT60 - it's $2150 for Cyber Monday! eek.gif My last chance to get a plasma? But... IR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmo View Post

Cool, I'll likely go for the 900A.. Although I don't understand it, I'm worried about the fading edges. Not sure I understand why the 900A would cure itself, but not the 850A..

Raz

Might be because the w900a has been around several months before the w850a, and people who just got the 850 may not have used it long enough for the vignetting to go away.
athom110 is offline  
Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by athom110 View Post


Might be because the w900a has been around several months before the w850a, and people who just got the 850 may not have used it long enough for the vignetting to go away.

This is most likely the cause, however it is good to note that the w850a's sides are much darker more noticeable than the w900a from the start. Not only does it extend further into the screen, but its also darker. A member on here did fix the dark sides on his w850a though by applying even pressure along the edges.
*UFO* is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
WhiteSands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

This is most likely the cause, however it is good to note that the w850a's sides are much darker more noticeable than the w900a from the start. Not only does it extend further into the screen, but its also darker. A member on here did fix the dark sides on his w850a though by applying even pressure along the edges.

I very slowly rubbed a flat frozen soft cloth over 2 or 3 inches of each side of the screen. I did that for like maybe 4 minutes per side. This near eliminated the vignetting sides. I did it again the next day and it improved even more. I repeated the procedure again that night and it seems to be gone. Now 5 weeks later I find the more hours of TV watching the vignetting is completely gone. You can barely see it only on a full white screen. I have never seen it when watching any 3D blu-ray disk.

I still can't get over the great picture quality/ color of this w850a set. This TV will blow you away when watching a 3D movie.

May favorite setting for great viewing, Scene Select, General with Vivid, backlight set to 7.

3D glasses brightness, set to High
WhiteSands is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I'm in the market for a new flat screen and I'm looking for the best option in the 65 inch and up range when I found this thread.

Its been a while since anyone has posted here so I was wondering if there had been any improvements in the area of input-lag at all? If not have there been any rumors of TV's to come that might improve in this aspect?

Edit: i should clarify, I'm an avid online competitive gamer and input-lag is death.

Last edited by goodgriefer; 08-29-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Quick update to why the question is important to me.
goodgriefer is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
AGuy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgriefer View Post
So I'm in the market for a new flat screen and I'm looking for the best option in the 65 inch and up range when I found this thread.

Its been a while since anyone has posted here so I was wondering if there had been any improvements in the area of input-lag at all? If not have there been any rumors of TV's to come that might improve in this aspect?

Edit: i should clarify, I'm an avid online competitive gamer and input-lag is death.
Sony TVs continue to have incredibly low input lag, usually around 17ms to 24ms. You won't feel any input lag with those numbers.
AGuy01 is offline  
Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Braehole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reno,NV
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony KDL65W850A 65-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Internet LED HDTV (Black) (2013 Model)

I went with a Sony KDL65W850A 65-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Internet LED HDTV (Black) (2013 Model) and I was happy with it. I would want to know what the different 4K TV's input lag is now.
Braehole is offline  
 

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off