Pro reviewers to start measuring input lag - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just by chance I stumbled across the following article over at Sound and Vision and thought it was interesting. Somewhat old news for some perhaps, but I've been out of the loop and am glad to see it happening. An excerpt from the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound and Vision 
Starting with the September issue (and now, online), we’re adding a new measurement to our objective TV/projector tests. It’s called “input lag” . . . it’s an important metric for gamers, and anyone who notices issues with “lip sync.”

. . . We, along with CNET’s David Katzmaier, HDTVTest.co.uk’s David Mackenzie, and Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi (and others) Chris Heinonen, have been collaborating for several months to come up with some baseline measurements to make sure we don’t get wacky numbers, or worse, random outliers due to technology (or testing) differences.

Also, C-Net's own article on it.

So, what does everyone think? It seems like for a while there manufacturer's barely acknowledged the existence of input lag beyond tossing in a game mode. Will this put a bit more pressure on them to improve in this department?
Braehole likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes and thank god! I've been waiting for someone to review 65-80 TV input lag so I can buy one that great for gaming too!
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Ok I have two input lag test sites now! check these out! Found a 70 and 75 inch! I'm going to go with Sony KDL-70R550A 70-Inch 36ms or the Samsung UN75F6400 75-Inch 39ms. They both got great inlag reviews

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

I'm going to use the amazon link from the one data base that help me decide which TV to get. I think they get like 2% from amazon when you go through a link. I'm diffidently going to use the link through "Displaylag.com" so he gets a little money from amazon for doing all the tests for us. He emailed me back and said that would really help him and the site so he can do more tests!

Thank you Mark Rejhon for help finding the second one!
John4721 likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 10
This is such great news to me that I logged in to post for the first time in years. I hunt tirelessly for input lag numbers or talk when I start my TV research & I'm always disappointed by the subpar effort companies put forth to shortening the lag. I may be putting too much faith in reviews but I believe some publicized criticism may help push manufacturers to do better.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 10
Excellent! Knowing the input lag on new TVs will be great. I feel like the usage scenarios of managing game mode by source are decreasing fast. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is to toggle game mode. And of course ideally we shouldn't have to have to use it at all.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosIncredible View Post

This is such great news to me that I logged in to post for the first time in years. I hunt tirelessly for input lag numbers or talk when I start my TV research & I'm always disappointed by the subpar effort companies put forth to shortening the lag. I may be putting too much faith in reviews but I believe some publicized criticism may help push manufacturers to do better.

I think the next year this will be a big deal coming up with all the gamers out there looking for new TV's. I bet we will see a TV made just for gamers after all the articles and press talking about it lately. I'm diffidently going to use the link through "Displaylag.com" so he gets a little money from amazon for doing all the tests for us.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good point. With the new consoles coming towards the end of the year, marketing low input lag TVs and their gaming advantages could be a smart opportunity for a savvy TV manufacturer.
Braehole likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4721 View Post

Good point. With the new consoles coming towards the end of the year, marketing low input lag TVs and their gaming advantages could be a smart opportunity for a savvy TV manufacturer.

My thoughts exactly, I wonder if any high tech company guys look at these forums. rolleyes.gif
John4721 likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 128
FYI, we have been testing input lag for the last 6-7 years smile.gif
-David M, HDTVtest

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest