80" 3D LED monitor recommendations please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been wanting to upgrade my older 73" Mits WD-73732 (It's been a workhorse seeing way too many hours daily but it still works) so it's replacement has gotta be bigger and might as well do 3D as well. There is so much talk of the LED array vs edge lit LED it's hard to get past the hype. I've been reading up on them and seem to get no where. I could see where edge lighting on an 80" screen would be a problem, that's a lot of real estate to cover! So what's the scoop on the best ones so far. I'm not considering 4k screens yet as they are too expensive and will be cheaper in a few years when more media shot for it is available. I've been looking at the ones that keep popping up: Samsung, Sharp, Vizio, LG, etc. If you have one, please let me know your thoughts on it, what you love, what you hate and what the quality of the image is on screen in bright and dark viewing environments. We have a lot of windows so during the day it would be bright and at night obviously better. Use would be for movies and gaming and possibly PC.

Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

anyone? anyone? Beuller... Beuller?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 PM

Liked: 37
I can think of one full-array 80" TV, currently available: the Sharp 80LE632U, last year's model. I'm pretty sure the new Vizio 80" and this year's Sharp 80" are both edge-lit.

Apparently East Coast TVs still has the 80LE632U:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Sharp-LED-HDTV-p/lc80le632u.htm
post #4 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

You're right. Everything I've seen from this year seems to be edge lit. The 80" Vizio had verbage that was a little bit misleading to me at first but it is edge lit after digging a little deeper. I was hoping finding some old stock woud be possible. Is it still a better choice to go older backlit as opposed to newer edge lit? Would we be losing any features I would be regretting later?

Has anyone here dealt with East Cost before? Are they reputable?

Thanks for any input everyone..
post #5 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Liked: 18
I would look into a Projector. LEDs that size look terrible and have obscene amounts of motion blur

Ignorance is a choice
post #7 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

I would do a projector but the room is very bright with 4 large windows and 2 additional windows filtering lighting from the adjoining kitchen. I'm not confident a projector would work. I current have a WD-73732 73" RP TV which is a projector in a box basically. I don't see people recommending them at all anymore. The main reason for upgrade is to add 3D and a larger screen size. The larger screen size is not a deal breaker.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklights View Post

I would do a projector but the room is very bright with 4 large windows and 2 additional windows filtering lighting from the adjoining kitchen. I'm not confident a projector would work. I current have a WD-73732 73" RP TV which is a projector in a box basically. I don't see people recommending them at all anymore. The main reason for upgrade is to add 3D and a larger screen size. The larger screen size is not a deal breaker.

How about an 82 inch DLP?
http://www.walts.com/products/WD-82642.html?origin=mitsubishi-product-feed&gclid=CN-TzKvAw7gCFRSi4AodRh0AUg

Some 92 inch units are still available:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/mitsubishi-home-cinema-wd-92742-92-3d-dlp-1080p-hdtv/232506376.html?listingId=247017835
post #9 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklights View Post

The main reason for upgrade is to add 3D and a larger screen size. The larger screen size is not a deal breaker.

If 3D is important, you need to decide if you want active or passive. Sharp (still) uses active, and Vizio uses passive.

I very much prefer passive myself. Cheap, battery free glasses, bright picture, no crosstalk. For me, those advantages far outweigh the disadvantages: narrow *vertical* viewing angle and half-resolution. I have a 65" LG 65LW6500 and the 3D is very nice, and was the biggest passive 3D TV available at the time. To be realistic about it, 3D programming just ain't happening, so you're talking about 3D Blu-Rays. Considering the fact I only have a few dozen 3D BDs, obviously the vast bulk of my viewing is 2D. It's nice treat though, from time to time.

I also have a 70" Sharp 70LE640U, non-3D model. (Didn't want to pay extra for active 3D). Pretty good 2D picture for a mid-tier edge-lit LED/LCD. I really wanted the Sharp 80" 80LE632U. Alas, I couldn't justify it to my wife. Considering the fact that an extra 5" was a significant upgrade (you wouldn't think so, but it is), I confess I'm envious at the thought of having an 80" set. tongue.gif

Now that the Vizio 80" is out, I'd get that one if I were in the market, and 3D was a requirement. So far, owner reviews seem pretty favorable.

Good luck whatever you get.
Franklights likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

If 3D is important, you need to decide if you want active or passive. Sharp (still) uses active, and Vizio uses passive.
I very much prefer passive myself. Cheap, battery free glasses, bright picture, no crosstalk. For me, those advantages far outweigh the disadvantages: narrow *vertical* viewing angle and half-resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Now that the Vizio 80" is out, I'd get that one if I were in the market, and 3D was a requirement. So far, owner reviews seem pretty favorable.
Good luck whatever you get.

Thanks for the heads up! Didn't know that about the 3D glasses. Passive definitely sounds like the way to go. The 3D would be new to us so I'm not sure what to expect but some of the movies we've seen in the theater seem much better than i ever remember 3D being. Looking forward to that.

The Vizio is one I have been looking at strongly and comparing to the sharp. The Vizio sounds too good to be true. The price point as well as the features to include the higher refresh rate. Everyone with one seems to be happy. I just get a bit concerned when I hear about the lag time, audio sync issues and artifacts on the larger screens. Edge lighting looked good on the display model I saw but people say the back light array is better. If it's so good I wonder why the manufacturers moved away from it. People in the market for an HDTV that large are typically going to be concerned about things like that. I imagine there's a reason other than just cost.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 AM

3D on my LG beats any theater RealD presentation I've seen. It's not even remotely close. (BTW, keep your RealD glasses, they work just fine with a passive 3D TV).

Note that I haven't yet been able to see an IMAX 3D presentation, which supposedly is much better.

I'd say about one and a half screen widths is my "sweet spot" for viewing distance when watching 3D. Others will have their own ideas. Get too close and you'll see "stair-stepping" and "moire". The former is like an interlacing effect on sharply defined lines neither vertical nor horizontal. The latter is a shimmery effect you'll get on, say, a patterned shirt.

As mentioned, vertical viewing angle is a bit narrow, so the kids won't be able to see 3D lying on the floor. Loss of resolution equates approximately to viewing in 720p, although it seems somewhat better than that. I can't quite buy into the claim that "image fusion" makes it effectively full resolution.

I hope you'll have the opportunity to see both 3D systems in a showroom before you buy. Good luck.
Franklights likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 AM

Your other concerns deserve some discussion. I hope other members will respond. Anyway, I'll take a stab at it:

1) Lag time. Sorry, I'm not a gamer. But both my LG and my Sharp have a "Game Mode" that supposedly turns off extra processing that might contribute to lag. Dunno how effective it is, but lots of people do play games on big LED/LCDs. Perhaps some games would be more prone to lag than others?

2) Audio sync. I've never had that problem. I don't use the TV speakers, preferring to take optical out from TV and run it through an AVR to my surround speakers. Blu-Ray audio is routed direct to the AVR. If you can swing even a modest surround system, I think you'll find it's worthwhile.

3) Artifacts. I'd split that into two things: SD (standard definition) content and bitrate starvation. With the former, of course you'll more easily see flaws when playing low resolution stuff on a big TV. Similarly for the latter, when playing highly compressed cable content or streaming. Most often that means "posterization". Blu-Rays will look fine, so long as you don't get ridiculously close to the screen.

4) Edge-Lit vs Full Array. Okay, edge-lit allows for a very thin TV, which is nice for wall-mounting. (Though the audio will be poor as a result). It's also generally cheaper. The very best-regarded LED/LCDs have full array (Sharp Elite and Sony HX9xx), but also local dimming. The number of dimming zones is important. To be really effective, the more dimming zones the better, which gets expensive.

Note that the Sharp 80LE632U is full-array, but AFAIK, it has no local dimming, and if it does, I'd bet it doesn't have enough dimming zones to matter. It may have better uniformity than an edge-lit set, but I see from reviews that some think that it is also somewhat prone to color bleed. Maybe someone else can comment on that, as I dunno.

I can say that with my two edge-lit sets, you can clearly see non-uniformity when on an inactive input. (The Sharp less so than the LG). With normal viewing it's pretty much undetectable. Two exceptions:

- When using the TV as a monitor, as I'm doing right now, you may see slight non-uniformity when the page has large solid color areas, particularly white areas.
- When viewing dark content in a dark room. Like the last chapter of Zero Dark Thirty. You have to be looking for it though. My wife, for instance, can't see what I'm talking about.

There you go, and remember, the above are just my opinions. Again, good luck.
Franklights likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page