Sharp 70" 1080p LED Model LC-70LE857U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided to buy a Sharp 70" 1080p LED Model LC-70LE857U. Rather than ask you what I should buy, I've told you what I intend to buy. Please talk me out of it if you can!

That said, where is the best place to buy a Sharp 70" 1080p LED Model LC-70LE857U, i.e., best price?

Here is a link to the TV I plan to place in my home for lots of entertainment:

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models/LC70LE857U.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post

I have decided to buy a Sharp 70" 1080p LED Model LC-70LE857U. Rather than ask you what I should buy, I've told you what I intend to buy. Please talk me out of it if you can!

That said, where is the best place to buy a Sharp 70" 1080p LED Model LC-70LE857U, i.e., best price?

Here is a link to the TV I plan to place in my home for lots of entertainment:

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models/LC70LE857U.aspx

Shop using the links below - try to buy locally in case you have a problem with it, or need to return it for any reason. Some internet retailers will NOT accept returns on panels this size. Costco has the best return policy on big screens - 90 days.

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/Authorized-Reseller.aspx

There are also risks to shopping with unauthorized resellers:
No access to the most up-to-date Sharp product information
Risk of purchasing counterfeit products
Risk of purchasing products that have been opened or tampered with prior to purchase
No seller accountability for products that may be damaged during shipping
Exorbitant restocking fees

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

More precisely, what price can I cite to Best Buy to have them honor their low price guarantee? What is that price and who offers it?

Online or In Store: Find a Lower Price and We'll Match It.

If you find a lower price on a qualifying product at a local retail competitor's store or a designated major online retailer, we will match the price. At the time of purchase, we will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor's store and these designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Buy.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com®. We will also match prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase.

The Guarantee is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest and does not apply to: Contract mobile phone devices and plans, the online prices of retailers not listed, the online prices of third party vendors (Marketplace vendors) on designated major online retailers websites, post purchase price match requests to competitor's prices, Best Buy for Business™, offers that include financing, gift card offers, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, our and our competitor's Deal of the Day, daily deals, special hour sale event items and credit card offers, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment-Pricing/Best-Buy-Low-Price-Guarantee/pcmcat297300050000.c?id=pcmcat297300050000

Thank you.

And it's good to know that I'm buying the very best big screen TV for me. smile.gif
post #4 of 15 Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

I guess no one likes a smartaleck but I was trying to add levity to a difficult decision especially given the substantial learning curve involved with all the technology.

I have put my purchase on hold until I resolve a lot more issues beginning with Television Size to Distance Relationship The information out there is contradictory, e.g., Flat Screen LCD and LED LCD TV screen size considerations; Which size is right for you?.

70-inch LED LCD TVs. You should sit 16 to 20 feet or more from the TV.

versus

Screen Size Optimal Distance 1080p
25" 3.3' (1 m)
30" 4' (1.22 m)
35" 4.6' (1.40 m)
40" 5.3' (1.62 m)
45" 6' (1.83 m)
50" 6.6' (2.01 m)
55" 7.3' (2.23 m)
60" 8' (2.44 m)
65" 8.6' (2.62 m)
70" 9.3' (2.83 m)

I have read that you cannot buy too big. And yet oddly and ironically a Best Buy Home Theatre manager told me yesterday that a 70" TV was too large for my 10-11-12' viewing distance and recommended a 55" instead of the 70". Let's forget brand now for moment if that's possible. What size is best given my viewing distance?

A tip I will pass on to any newbie that I picked up yesterday at Best Buy also is that they have all their TVs calibrated and bright and there is a large difference between the picture quality you see at the store as compared to the TV out of the box. Another phrase that was used by Best Buy yesterday was "eye fatigue" which I conjecture occurs if you are sitting too close to a TV that is too large? I have never sought out the front row area nor the back row area in a movie theatre. If there was a complete choice of seating I always seek out that middle turf seating area.

But I humbly submit to you experts and aficionados, what size is best given my viewing distance? Further disclosure for you doctors of technology in diagnosing a cure is that I do not watch sports, movies only. I note this term immersion bantered about which is probably not a good fit for me. I like a big screen but I ain't 20 but rather 54 years old.

Thank you. BTW, this is a great forum and I apologize for an undoubtedly redundant question but you always feel your question is unique to your situation, i.e., knowledge level and circumstances.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess no one likes a smartaleck but I was trying to add levity to a difficult decision especially given the substantial learning curve involved with all the technology.

I have put my purchase on hold until I resolve a lot more issues beginning with Television Size to Distance Relationship The information out there is contradictory, e.g., Flat Screen LCD and LED LCD TV screen size considerations; Which size is right for you?.

70-inch LED LCD TVs. You should sit 16 to 20 feet or more from the TV.

versus

Screen Size Optimal Distance 1080p
25" 3.3' (1 m)
30" 4' (1.22 m)
35" 4.6' (1.40 m)
40" 5.3' (1.62 m)
45" 6' (1.83 m)
50" 6.6' (2.01 m)
55" 7.3' (2.23 m)
60" 8' (2.44 m)
65" 8.6' (2.62 m)
70" 9.3' (2.83 m)

I have read that you cannot buy too big. And yet oddly and ironically a Best Buy Home Theatre manager told me yesterday that a 70" TV was too large for my 10-11-12' viewing distance and recommended a 55" instead of the 70". Let's forget brand now for moment if that's possible. What size is best given my viewing distance?

A tip I will pass on to any newbie that I picked up yesterday at Best Buy also is that they have all their TVs calibrated and bright and there is a large difference between the picture quality you see at the store as compared to the TV out of the box. Another phrase that was used by Best Buy yesterday was "eye fatigue" which I conjecture occurs if you are sitting too close to a TV that is too large? I have never sought out the front row area nor the back row area in a movie theatre. If there was a complete choice of seating I always seek out that middle turf seating area.

But I humbly submit to you experts and aficionados, what size is best given my viewing distance? Further disclosure for you doctors of technology in diagnosing a cure is that I do not watch sports, movies only. I note this term immersion bantered about which is probably not a good fit for me. I like a big screen but I ain't 20 but rather 54 years old.

Thank you. BTW, this is a great forum and I apologize for an undoubtedly redundant question but you always feel your question is unique to your situation, i.e., knowledge level and circumstances.

I'll have whatever that manager was smoking before he/or she started their shift, because what you were told is not accurate.

I would be concerned about buying too small. Regardless of brand, if you purachased a 55 inch set, at your viewing distance, you would probably return it for something larger. I'm 10 feet away from my 70 inch, and it's a comfortable distance. 80 inches would be a more "immersive" experience, but slightly more expensive.(The finance committee nixed it) Did the manager tell you that all their televisions are calibrated? What a crock. The picture quality will look better in your house than it will under the torch lights of a Best Buy. The majority of these panels at Best Buy are in either dynamic, brilliant, some other type of retina burning mode. Eye fatigue is induced in most cases by sitting to close to a computer screen: http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/eye-fatigue-causes-symptoms-treatment

I've sold televisions for Circuit City and Best Buy, and most recenly been a part time hired gun over the last 3 years for LG, Panasonic, and Sharp. I've never had a customer return a set that was too large - most returns that I've seen were sets that were too small for the custormer's application, and needs. What do you have for a television currently?

Check this post and my response:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474309/were-at-a-12-foot-seating-distance-what-would-represent-a-visibly-impactful-difference-from-a-50/90#post_23433256

Or you could start with the first post in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474309/were-at-a-12-foot-seating-distance-what-would-represent-a-visibly-impactful-difference-from-a-50

Buy what looks good to you. You should be looking at the space available for your new display, not just seating distance.

I'm not saying you need an 80 inch screen, but 70 inches is a good place to start. - especially if you watch a lot of movies. I also use my screen for a large computer monitor. If you have any other questions, please post them. Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not worried about size now. Now I'm wondering about LED versus Plasma? There are several Best Buys where I live and the locations contradict one another in regard to LED versus Plasma.

I wasn't even considering Plasma until one of Best Buy's reps recommended it to me. I thought Plasmas would not hold up long term for some reason.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 65" Samsung Plasma?

But who knows what tomorrow holds?

Wow, what a decision if you consider all your options and there are a heck of a lot of options!!confused.gif
post #7 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not worried about size now. Now I'm wondering about LED versus Plasma? There are several Best Buys where I live and the locations contradict one another in regard to LED versus Plasma.

I wasn't even considering Plasma until one of Best Buy's reps recommended it to me. I thought Plasmas would not hold up long term for some reason.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 65" Samsung Plasma?

But who knows what tomorrow holds?

Wow, what a decision if you consider all your options and there are a heck of a lot of options!!confused.gif

If you watch a lot of movies, plasma is the way to go. The problem with most big box stores, is that the associates don't ask enough of the right questions. And it's difficult to evaluate a television properly in most Best Buy locations, even those with a Magnolia store. I've never heard of a Best Buy that calibrates ALL of their televisions. If that were the case, they would be selling more plasmas, if all things were equal. So:

When you watch TV, when do you watch?
Can you control the light in your room?
How many windows in the room? Would they reflect off the new TV?
How far away do you sit? How many can watch at the same time?
Are you putting this on a stand, or do you need a mount on a stand?
Were you going to mount this on the wall? Self install?
Do you need surge protection with battery backup?

I sold an "Enhanced Definition" plasma to a friend of mine back in 2006 at BBY - he still has it and he told me its working great. I wanted a 65 inch plasma - back in 2006, upgrading from a 51 inch Sony rear projection TV, but I had an issue with glare. Bought a 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP. that had a matte finish to the screen. Today, we have a 70 Sharp LED. We watch movies, mostly during the evenings, but do watch some stuff during the day, and don't want to watch in a tomb like environment, so LED works for our television application.
If you like to watch television during the day, and light control and reflections off the screen are not a problem, buy a plasma.
On the other hand, if light is a problem, and you can deal with limited off axis viewing, and you want a screen larger than 65 inches, buy an LED.

I have pocket doors in back of where we sit when watching telelvision. See the difference when the doors are closed.

My first hdtv from 2002 - it was like a mirror.

Doors open this morning - sharp lc70le847u

Doors closed:

open:

closed:

post #8 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When you watch TV, when do you watch?

Both day and night but mostly night movies.
Quote:
Can you control the light in your room?

Yes.
Quote:
How many windows in the room? Would they reflect off the new TV?

Three. No.
Quote:
How far away do you sit? How many can watch at the same time?

10-11 feet. Two.
Quote:
Are you putting this on a stand, or do you need a mount on a stand?

Stand. What is a 'mount on a stand?' I planned to place the TV on a piece of furniture and assumed it had a base to rest on or so I hoped.
Quote:
Were you going to mount this on the wall? Self install?

No.
Quote:
Do you need surge protection with battery backup?

I don't know but Best Buy argues that's why I need their protection plan so as to protect against potential power surges. BTW, I'm told that I don't need color calibration because the TV out of the box settings are okay. Source is an independent audio/video dealer in the area.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Both day and night but mostly night movies.
Yes.
Three. No.
10-11 feet. Two.
Stand. What is a 'mount on a stand?' I planned to place the TV on a piece of furniture and assumed it had a base to rest on or so I hoped.
No.
I don't know but Best Buy argues that's why I need their protection plan so as to protect against potential power surges. BTW, I'm told that I don't need color calibration because the TV out of the box settings are okay. Source is an independent audio/video dealer in the area.

I would truly enjoy shopping at your Best Buy. What's the store number and location? I'm surprised they did not offer Geek Squad calibration. Calibration is unnecessary? The colors out of the box, are in Dynamic showroom mode, and look ghastly. If you are a movie maven, then you will appreciate the accuracy of a calibrated vs non calibrated television.

The least you could do is take it out of dynamic mode.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20074546-1/what-is-hdtv-calibration/

http://revision3.com/hdnation/cec-control-calman-calibration#rev3PlayerStart
go to 3:54 in.

I suggested surge protection with battery backup in case you have devices with hard drives attached to your home theater system - DVR, PC, streaming device..

It's unknown if you have a home theater system, so I suggested a stand with an option to mount the television to the stand. This option would work for me - I could raise the TV, and relocate some equipment and center channel using this solution:
http://www.standsandmounts.com/TransDecoGlassTVStandwithMountingSystemfor35-65inchScreensTD600B.aspx

This is also a good suggestion for people who live in aprtments, and can't mount a set on a wall.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
many tvs come in Dynamic mode which is very bright and some colors are over blown but we prefer movie mode as a simple adjustment to offer more realistic flesh tones and such. I definitely don't want to imply that adjustments are of no benefit, just that such in depth calibration may be a bit excessive.

Regarding plasma\led, plasma is looked at as the best overall picture quality available. The one negative for plasma is it has a more reflective screen surface and in a family room with many windows or a lot of natural light, you may have more of a glare. LED are a brighter picture and overall, companies typically recommend plasma for dedicated tv\theater rooms or for a video purist and LED for den\living\family rooms.

The above is from an alternative independent audio/video dealer. Quite illuminating. My math says I don't need color calibration and Plasma is a good choice.

When I search at Best Buy's website entering '65" Samsung HDTV' as the search string, I get the following results:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-9076170769672551843&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=65%20Samsung%20HDTV&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&fs=saas&usc=All%20Categories&ks=960&saas=saas

Why doesn't a 65" Samsung Plasma show in the resulting search above?
post #11 of 15 Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The above is from an alternative independent audio/video dealer. Quite illuminating. My math says I don't need color calibration and Plasma is a good choice.

When I search at Best Buy's website entering '65" Samsung HDTV' as the search string, I get the following results:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-9076170769672551843&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=65%20Samsung%20HDTV&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&fs=saas&usc=All%20Categories&ks=960&saas=saas

Why doesn't a 65" Samsung Plasma show in the resulting search above?

Regardless, any television benefits from even a basic calibration. Your television will use less energy, and operate more efficiently afterwards. I searched also, and got the same result. Also looked for 65 inch plasma, and the search returned nothing but Panasonic products. If you have a Magnolia store near you, check the open box and clearance items. I wonder if the Samsung plasmas have reached end of life status?

$2988.99
Model: PN64F8500AFXZA
SKU: 8244057
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Open+Box+-+64%22+Class+%2864%22+Diag.%29+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/8244057.p?id=1218866280036&skuId=8244057&dnmId=o_200001604002061

If you advance to 2:37, you'll see the different AV Modes cycle through, together with the custom ISF modes created by the calibrator. Or you can watch the whole thing and watch the software and the panel work to balance the color output.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder if the Samsung plasmas have reached end of life status?

What precisely are you implying? What does end of life status mean?
post #13 of 15 Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Samsung has plasma's listed at Best Buy but they are 64 inch and not 65 from what I had gathered.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
post #14 of 15 Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post

Samsung has plasma's listed at Best Buy but they are 64 inch and not 65 from what I had gathered.

Good catch:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&st=samsung+64+inch+plasma

What precisely are you implying? What does end of life status mean?

End of life means the product has reached the end of it's product cycle, and is due to be replaced with a newer model.

post #15 of 15 Old 12-02-2013, 05:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I bought the Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE857U last friday and got it delivered yesterday, since I was in the store I couldn't decide between the Samsung UN60F7100AFXZA or the Sharp, both 60" and great picture. I have the opportunity to send the Sharp back and get the Samsung but I don't know if that's a good decision. The only significant difference I found so far is that Samsung offers micro dimming while Sharp doesn't. I picked the Sharp because I heard really bad things about Samsung's reliability over time and Sharp being part of the Magnolia offering in Bestbuy made me think it would be a better deal. I'm concerned about the input lag for video games, so far in standard AV, Sharp's about 100ms and 30ms when in game mode. I don't know the Samsung's input lag, does anybody knows? So which one do you think is a better choice for cable TV, gaming and movies, Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE857U or Samsung UN60F7100AFXZA? 

Thanks

Mike.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 70le857u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page