Zapped by lightening (or not?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Last night we had a nasty thunderstorm. Saw it coming so I shut entire system down. There was a bolt of lightening and a loud snap which sounded like it was inside the room near the TV, Sony 40XBR6 (You know--- the sound a loudpseaker makes when you fool with the connections with the amp on by mistake!) Power died at same time and was down for about 6 hours. When it came back I feared the worst: HTPC shot, TV shot, etc. etc. Turns out the PC is fine, the TV tunes channels fine, gets signal from the one component device I have, but the issue is this: TV is no longer sensing any HDMI signal from the DVD and PC which share a common cable to HDMI 1 input. Tried moving to HDMI 3, but no joy. Tried both of the devices independently, no joy. Recycled the TV's power by unplugging, no joy. Not easy to trouble shoot much more other than the back of the wall plates (will do tonight) as the cable is in wall and is about 25 feet as it has been for the past 2 years, all fine during that time. Anybody seen anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The HDMI receiver chip is the most power fluction sensitive chip in most TVs especially TV models which are several years old. Does your TV power line have a surge protector?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No but I guess it ought to. I am going to try some re-set tactics shown by Sony and others tonight before I throw in the towel. There was no off-on-off to this power outage (My McIntosh Processor is very sensitive to those and kicks out, but did not this time), so I am not sure there was a surge, but I should get the protector, no doubt.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
try a new hdmi cable
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have now done several things: Unplugged the panel and devices as Sony recommends, restarted and retried. No joy. Did master reset as per Sony, no joy. Brought in a PC with HDMI out, used new HDMI cable and tried in 3 of the HDMI ports, having first tested successfully PC with new cable in my other Sony panel. No joy. I am starting to suspect a main board issue. Anyone got another theory?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
hdmi board is dead most likely. contact sony they might be able to sell you a new hdmi board or tell you what you can do to fix it.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Same thing happened to a fellow avs member in the plasma section. Same thing a thunderstorm and now everything works but his HDMI inputs, we suggested the same things you have done but in conclusion we believe its his HDMI board as well. So this happened even when everything was unplugged or just shut down? Makes you kind of glad for us that have purchased a surge protector. It warranties against blackout damages.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page