FMP-X1 Necessary for Sony Video Unlimited 4K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rkolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do we know whether the FMP-X1 will be needed to download content from the forthcoming Sony Video Unlimited 4k service?
rkolk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Download as opposed to stream? Or are you asking something else?

I think the PS4 will offer the 4K service as well though am not positive.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Member
 
SonyListens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk View Post

Do we know whether the FMP-X1 will be needed to download content from the forthcoming Sony Video Unlimited 4k service?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk View Post

Do we know whether the FMP-X1 will be needed to download content from the forthcoming Sony Video Unlimited 4k service?


Hi rkolk,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, the FMPX1 will be required.

The Premium Service Activation ensures compatibility with the FMP-X1, 4K Media Player and safeguards access to its content.

Thanks,

Pat Kennedy
SonyListens is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Only if you have a Sony 4K TV.

.
coolscan is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Member
 
SonyListens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi coolscan, Sony is more than an electronics innovator. We are leaders in 4K entertainment from production, through distribution, all the way to cinemas and into the living room. A major benefit and differentiator of buying a Sony 4K television is access to true 4K content thanks to our partnership with Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment. When Video Unlimited 4K launches later this summer, it will only be available on Sony 4K Ultra HD devices. Since one of the main uses for the FMP-X1 is to store and playback content from Video Unlimited 4K, there is currently no need for compatibility with other manufactures’ TVs.
SonyListens is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Member
 
Tom Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live in the UK and want one of these, but Amazon won't ship it to me as it is outside of the USA.

Is anyone willing to help to make a fair few dollars ?

If so, please PM me.

Thanks Tom
Tom Edge is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
scanido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto Suburbs
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyListens View Post

Hi coolscan, Sony is more than an electronics innovator. We are leaders in 4K entertainment from production, through distribution, all the way to cinemas and into the living room. A major benefit and differentiator of buying a Sony 4K television is access to true 4K content thanks to our partnership with Sony Pictures Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment. When Video Unlimited 4K launches later this summer, it will only be available on Sony 4K Ultra HD devices. Since one of the main uses for the FMP-X1 is to store and playback content from Video Unlimited 4K, there is currently no need for compatibility with other manufactures’ TVs.

Hello,

I couldn'y get a definitve answer to this but is the FMP-X1 compatible in Canada?

If I purchased this media server and connected it to a compatible device will I receive the full benefit of the media player/service?

Thanks,

See Profile
scanido is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Member
 
SonyListens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi scanido,

The FMP-X1 is geo-blocked by IP address so that it cannot be used outside of the United States – this is due to content rights and licensing. Regretfully, we cannot provide a viewing solution for you at your current location at this time. While we have no announcements scheduled, please know that we will be expanding Video Unlimited 4K’s reach and availability.

Thank you for posting,

Pat Kennedy
Sony Support USA
SonyListens is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
scanido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto Suburbs
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyListens View Post

Hi scanido,

The FMP-X1 is geo-blocked by IP address so that it cannot be used outside of the United States – this is due to content rights and licensing. Regretfully, we cannot provide a viewing solution for you at your current location at this time. While we have no announcements scheduled, please know that we will be expanding Video Unlimited 4K’s reach and availability.

Thank you for posting,

Pat Kennedy
Sony Support USA

Ah this sux. Ok hopefully you expand the service as soon as possible.

Looks like my new VPL-VW500es/VPL1000ES future purchase may be put on hold then. Wonder how fellow canucks are/will getting by on their new shiny 4K TV's/Projectors on 4K content?

See Profile
scanido is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm betting the PS4 will have 4k content at launch in Canada and there will be other Media boxes from other companies in the near future. Also, the 4K bluray standard has been approved so 4k Bluray should be out within the first quarter next year. Also, 1080p upscaled to 4k on the Sony is supposed to be a very big improvement. CES will be HUGE for 4k. The floodgates are about to open biggrin.gif
conan48 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Member
 
espny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I own the VPL-VW600 ES projector bundle with FMPX1 and Tablet Z. Everything is well connected and I can watch all the installed movies and download previews etc. For some strange reason I cannot buy or rent movies with my tablet. What am I missing?

espny is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Member
 
espny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello Tom,

did you get a FMP-X1 in the meantime? Did you make it work?

espny is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off