Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 245 Old 12-10-2013, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad55 View Post

That's great news, thanks for posting. Those extra settings are something that I've been curious about. Since I plan to connect my PC to the TV, is it possible that similar filters and shaders could be done on the PC instead? I mean this in a way that I'd turn all the features on the TV off, but use a media viewer such as MPC-HC KSP which comes packed with all sorts of IQ adjustments and settings. I wonder if that is somewhat of an appropriate replacement for some of the features that come with televisions.

Could it be that the xbox is set to send signal through component rather than HDMI? I had a similar issue long ago, so I can't remember the details, but I believe I had to go back to component (since that was the default from my previous setup) set the connection to HDMI, and then hook the HDMI up afterwards. Worth a check, the xbox today is possibly much different though.

After purchasing a 250 gb Xbox 360 slim from craigslist that came with a NYKO HDMI cable. The TV was able to detect the 360 via HDMI, everything is working good now just gotta research some settings for the TV haven't had time been busy with school(end of the semester) and work. Hoping to buy 3D glasses next week as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 245 Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM

I have the UN55FH6030 and I'm pretty pleased with it (especially considering the price) but there's one issue that I just can't seem to resolve. No matter what settings I try, it does not appear that I can get a 1:1 pixel situation going with my HTPC (which is a Mac Mini running Mavericks, if that matters).

My setup is pretty typical, I have a bunch of sources and they're all running though a Marantz HDMI receiver and then into the HDTV. Every source looks great except the HTPC. I am using the "HDMI 1" port, which I've read makes a difference. I've turned off every gross feature of the TV that exists, from the motion blurring and extra frames to all the silly "make X thing prettier" garbage. I've even tried "Game Mode" which as far as I can tell does nothing (we don't have any fast paced FPS games, we play Mario stuff). The HDTV is set to "screen fit" not "16:9" which helps a little (eliminates gratuitous overscan) but does not make the screen fonts in OS X look smooth. Nothing I've been able to find to try does. The HTPC always looks like things are being ever so slightly crunched or stretched instead of being displayed perfectly like on a monitor.

I've seen other Samsung models that required the input name be changed to "PC" for a true 1:1 pixel display to be possible, but this television doesn't even have the capability to rename inputs, does it? I haven't seen anything like that in any menu and there's no mention of it either the PDF or built-in manual.

Any advice appreciated greatly! I'm at my wits end here, and am beginning to think I'll need to do something wacky with software on the computer side of things.
post #93 of 245 Old 12-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Liked: 11

khyron, I really hope you can get that working. My whole involvement with this TV is driving it with a PC. Please do update us if you do figure something out. DisplayConfigX is a program out there you can play with that changes format and resolution settings, though it probably won't be much help. I've seen some people use it to fix some issues between TVs and computers hooked up to them.

You could also try updating the TV's firmware by hooking it up to an ethernet. Maybe there are changes in settings that make it possible. No updates available according to wdeydwondrer. :(

post #94 of 245 Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post

I have the UN55FH6030 and I'm pretty pleased with it (especially considering the price) but there's one issue that I just can't seem to resolve. No matter what settings I try, it does not appear that I can get a 1:1 pixel situation going with my HTPC (which is a Mac Mini running Mavericks, if that matters).

My setup is pretty typical, I have a bunch of sources and they're all running though a Marantz HDMI receiver and then into the HDTV. Every source looks great except the HTPC. I am using the "HDMI 1" port, which I've read makes a difference. I've turned off every gross feature of the TV that exists, from the motion blurring and extra frames to all the silly "make X thing prettier" garbage. I've even tried "Game Mode" which as far as I can tell does nothing (we don't have any fast paced FPS games, we play Mario stuff). The HDTV is set to "screen fit" not "16:9" which helps a little (eliminates gratuitous overscan) but does not make the screen fonts in OS X look smooth. Nothing I've been able to find to try does. The HTPC always looks like things are being ever so slightly crunched or stretched instead of being displayed perfectly like on a monitor.

I've seen other Samsung models that required the input name be changed to "PC" for a true 1:1 pixel display to be possible, but this television doesn't even have the capability to rename inputs, does it? I haven't seen anything like that in any menu and there's no mention of it either the PDF or built-in manual.

Any advice appreciated greatly! I'm at my wits end here, and am beginning to think I'll need to do something wacky with software on the computer side of things.

Make sure you are running on hdmi 1, and that the max is displaying the native resolution. Putting screen fit on gets rid of the ~5% overscan the tv does and should be 1:1. Have you tried turning the sharpness down to 0? Also at 55'' you're going to have to sit further back than a desk would allow before you stop seeing pixelation (if that's the issue you are having). I don't have a mac, so I'm not sure if it's even possible, but have you tried playing with your font dpi?

Nomad, there's no new firmware for this tv yet if you've bought it recently. I just checked again today.
nomad55 likes this.
post #95 of 245 Old 12-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post

Make sure you are running on hdmi 1, and that the max is displaying the native resolution. Putting screen fit on gets rid of the ~5% overscan the tv does and should be 1:1. Have you tried turning the sharpness down to 0? Also at 55'' you're going to have to sit further back than a desk would allow before you stop seeing pixelation (if that's the issue you are having). I don't have a mac, so I'm not sure if it's even possible, but have you tried playing with your font dpi?

THANK YOU dude that did it, that's totally what I'd missing all along. Serves me right, should have mucked around with calibration back when I got the TV before I even had the HTPC set up, and just never got around to it. The sharpness processing the TV was doing was exactly what was messing the fonts up. I should have had a clue because the one detail that was making me think I was insane was that all the "pretty" fonts were looking horrible yet the simple white-on-black pixel fonts inside my Terminal command prompt windows was perfect.

If anyone ever comes across this post looking to solve a similar problem, turn off your sharpness! smile.gif
post #96 of 245 Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:

THANK YOU dude that did it, that's totally what I'd missing all along. Serves me right, should have mucked around with calibration back when I got the TV before I even had the HTPC set up, and just never got around to it. The sharpness processing the TV was doing was exactly what was messing the fonts up. I should have had a clue because the one detail that was making me think I was insane was that all the "pretty" fonts were looking horrible yet the simple white-on-black pixel fonts inside my Terminal command prompt windows was perfect.

If anyone ever comes across this post looking to solve a similar problem, turn off your sharpness! smile.gif

Glad to Hear these solutions helped you, but one thing I can help with is renaming your sources, even with your setup only using hdmi-1 on the TV by choosing on TV remote: source button> tools button> edit name> scroll to PC, this will disable a host of features and bypass all processing or converting for RGB 4:4:4. I just received my set, and I have been playing with it and plan to do a write up in here about my findings and settings a long with my many questions. However for what it is worth, I have an ati card and while I am not using pc input mode, but my 360/sony bluray and htpc are all set to RGB full 4:4:4. These are just what I've noticed what produced the best across the board calibration solution..so far..as I still have a lot of questions in this area of pixel format selection on my devices as i use my pc for movies/tv but I DO enjoy all the features the TV offers and do not like they are disabled in "pc mode".

good luck bro.

post #97 of 245 Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar0n View Post

...one thing I can help with is renaming your sources, even with your setup only using hdmi-1 on the TV by choosing on TV remote: source button> tools button> edit name> scroll to PC, this will disable a host of features and bypass all processing or converting for RGB 4:4:4. I just received my set, and I have been playing with it and plan to do a write up in here about my findings and settings a long with my many questions. However for what it is worth, I have an ati card and while I am not using pc input mode, but my 360/sony bluray and htpc are all set to RGB full 4:4:4. These are just what I've noticed what produced the best across the board calibration solution..so far..as I still have a lot of questions in this area of pixel format selection on my devices as i use my pc for movies/tv but I DO enjoy all the features the TV offers and do not like they are disabled in "pc mode".

I'm familiar with the renaming of sources on many Samsung HDTV models, in fact we used to have one that absolutely required setting it to "PC" or else all kinds of horrible ugliness would happen and all kinds of options would be stuck "on" without necessarily the ability to turn them completely off.

However, as far as I can tell, this is not necessary and perhaps impossible with the UN55FH6030 (maybe even all UNXXXX6030 sets, not sure). There does not appear to be the ability to rename inputs on this set. I've looked everywhere through all the menus, both the quick "Tools" dialogue box and all the full "Menu" button drill downs...naming inputs doesn't appear anyplace. It also doesn't appear anywhere in the built-in electronic manual, nor does it appear anywhere in the actual user manual (to be sure I wasn't going crazy, I downloaded a PDF and searched it).

I think in at least this model's case, the whole input naming thing is actually moot. Can anyone confirm?
post #98 of 245 Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:

I'm familiar with the renaming of sources on many Samsung HDTV models, in fact we used to have one that absolutely required setting it to "PC" or else all kinds of horrible ugliness would happen and all kinds of options would be stuck "on" without necessarily the ability to turn them completely off.

However, as far as I can tell, this is not necessary and perhaps impossible with the UN55FH6030 (maybe even all UNXXXX6030 sets, not sure). There does not appear to be the ability to rename inputs on this set. I've looked everywhere through all the menus, both the quick "Tools" dialogue box and all the full "Menu" button drill downs...naming inputs doesn't appear anyplace. It also doesn't appear anywhere in the built-in electronic manual, nor does it appear anywhere in the actual user manual (to be sure I wasn't going crazy, I downloaded a PDF and searched it).

I think in at least this model's case, the whole input naming thing is actually moot. Can anyone confirm?

I am sorry You're having issues, but according to Samsung and my set that I have currently there is ABSOLUTELY a way to change it. you choose source button, then tools button then edit name and information are two options, edit name will allow you to scroll to PC. 

I can find you other posts but unless the problem is related to the source which is in this case a mac (which i have no up front knowledge on it as an htpc) then I don't see how. I think maybe you're looking for the option of  "renaming" when in reality you're just editing the hdmi-1/dvi input to one of like 12 allowed preset names, two of them being PC mode and GAME mode.  If you would like I could make a video tomorrow of the process.

post #99 of 245 Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar0n View Post

I can find you other posts but unless the problem is related to the source which is in this case a mac (which i have no up front knowledge on it as an htpc) then I don't see how. I think maybe you're looking for the option of  "renaming" when in reality you're just editing the hdmi-1/dvi input to one of like 12 allowed preset names, two of them being PC mode and GAME mode.  If you would like I could make a video tomorrow of the process.

Dude, my apologies! You're absolutely correct, and I just changed my HDMI-1/DVI input from the default "name" (or label, or whatever one wants to call it) to "PC" and things now look even better than before.

For some reason I was skipping pressing the "Source" button before bringing up the "Tools" dialogue, which is of course contextual, and therefore I wasn't seeing what you were trying to get me to see. Thank you so much for persisting...plus it's better for others to have correct information in the thread! I believe what was messing me up was that on my previous set, which was a 6050, you could access the input names from a lot more places (at least three places that I remember, besides this specific path). Also, it was called out in the instruction manual pretty clearly and even depicted. I don't know why, but the 6030 documentation doesn't seem to mention it.

In any case, "much mahalo" as we say in the islands. I can't wait to do some further calibration now. I just looked at some really picky font samples and image files with fine lines and my HTPC connection looks far better than ever before, much more like how I had it tweaked with my prior 6050.
post #100 of 245 Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:

Dude, my apologies! You're absolutely correct, and I just changed my HDMI-1/DVI input from the default "name" (or label, or whatever one wants to call it) to "PC" and things now look even better than before.

For some reason I was skipping pressing the "Source" button before bringing up the "Tools" dialogue, which is of course contextual, and therefore I wasn't seeing what you were trying to get me to see. Thank you so much for persisting...plus it's better for others to have correct information in the thread! I believe what was messing me up was that on my previous set, which was a 6050, you could access the input names from a lot more places (at least three places that I remember, besides this specific path). Also, it was called out in the instruction manual pretty clearly and even depicted. I don't know why, but the 6030 documentation doesn't seem to mention it.

In any case, "much mahalo" as we say in the islands. I can't wait to do some further calibration now. I just looked at some really picky font samples and image files with fine lines and my HTPC connection looks far better than ever before, much more like how I had it tweaked with my prior 6050.

Awesome. your post now just only further serves to confuse me on my quest to figure out my rgb/YCbCr dilemma, as  right now everything is set to rgb, im NOT using PC mode, i am using very simple calibration with avs hd not a real in depth method, and it looks fine, and i enjoy some of the added goodies that are disabled when using PC mode. at this point im just going to leave it all my sources at rgb full, and take advantage of the CMR and motion plus that i have noticed make a difference on my games and movie content...

anyone willing to shed some light on my pixel format/ issue please by all means =)

post #101 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM

ar0n, I read your posts twice and still don't see where you actually posed your question/problem. What pixel format issue are you having?
post #102 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etraud View Post

Thank you for the link, I have tested and these where my findings, 

I took pictures of what each eye looks like

I have marked where the color of the opposite eye image matches the grade of gray. R and L.

The corners images practically disappears.    might not be much? but it's distracting when watching the movie and not what I expected from a 3D tv.

I reported to Samsung, and they mentioned that the TV is failing, that should not do that, I should see clear images without any crosstalk.

I went to BB, to check other models with the same glasses I use at home, just to know what I should expect from a 3D tv set,  there was none 6030 on display, but we tried the latest model, quad core 9000 series, well, when I saw the 3D images from that tv it just puled out a smile from me, it looks excellent, no crosstalk at all,  I guess high end sets manages better the 3D.

I will exchange for another set same model and see if Samsung was right to fix the 3D viewing experience.

As for the folders browsing from an external hard drive,  testing on a 6300 model, it was super fast, faster than my 2009 Samsung model,   we tried low end models and all were slow, the same as mine.  Strange that when browsing media from a USB Flash drive (usb 3.0 the same as the hard drive) the browsing of folders was very smooth and working fast. I have tried a few hard drives and all the same , very slow, even the guy in BB mentioned, he could not live with that  :-D

I will post my findings.

Thank you.

OK  these are my findings, 

I took the TV and showed it to the BB guys,   and they agreed that this should not be happening, too much crosstalk on the 3D content.

so they exacanged the TV for another, same model, I did not had the chance to test it at the store,   and the new was way WORSE, now I almost see double the images on 3d, 

with the previous, the Left eye was seeing more of the right eye image,  but on the new TV, bothseyes see more ghost images from the other eye (I hope this makes sense), 

So considering that the glasses needs to do the on/off of each eye, synched to the TV, leads me to think that this is something fixable by a setting,  not a setting on the regular menu, but a seeting that a samsung tech should be able to fix if they want, considering that the first TV set had less issues with my Right eye, and now the new set has strong issues with both eyes,  could this be possible to fix?

I am not really happy with the results,   I was hopping to get a TV which the 3D was perfect, if someone knows any TV where the 3D is great and I don't break the bank, please share. Unless there is a solution on this 3D crosstalk problem, the TV set is going back to the store. (or sell it to my friend that allways purchases what I sell him  :-)

Thank you.  Any help is apreciated.

post #103 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Sorry to hear about that. I don't know that you're going to be able to find a model from Samsung that is completely free from crosstalk. While I was at one of the local retailers a few weeks ago, I convinced the guys in the AV department to test several different ones, including a UN55FH6030, a UN55F7500, and a UN55F6400. They all exhibited some degree of crosstalk, which was very surprising to me because I expected the more expensive model (the UN55F7500) to not have that problem at all. You may want to look at passive 3D instead...especially if you can get the Vizio M551d-A2R (currently around $999 in the US). CNET gave those sets a very favorable review, and passive 3D virtually eliminates problems with crosstalk.

Good luck, and have a very Merry Christmas! smile.gif
post #104 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 08:56 PM

From everything I've read about passive though, you'll have to deal with virtual interlacing on screens this big. It's actually really rather crappy that we have to pick between the worse of two evils for 3D right now :/
post #105 of 245 Old 12-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Hey guys, Im wonfering how this set looks with a PS4 hooked up? ive been keeping an eye on this set for the past 6 months lol and its priced very well for the 40 and 46 inch sets. I have a PS3 but planning to buy a PS4 and maybe also use it as a PC monitor...and from what you guys have been saying about this set, seems like a great bang for buck tv set. dont care much for 3d, just prefer great color darks and whites and smoothness during FPS games.

would appreciate the specific info. thank you smile.gif
post #106 of 245 Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My ps4 is hooked up to the 40" it looks great. Especially killzone shadow fall.
post #107 of 245 Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyae86 View Post

Hey guys, Im wonfering how this set looks with a PS4 hooked up? ive been keeping an eye on this set for the past 6 months lol and its priced very well for the 40 and 46 inch sets. I have a PS3 but planning to buy a PS4 and maybe also use it as a PC monitor...and from what you guys have been saying about this set, seems like a great bang for buck tv set. dont care much for 3d, just prefer great color darks and whites and smoothness during FPS games.

would appreciate the specific info. thank you smile.gif

Don't have a PS4, but any HD content I've played on the 55'' looks great after calibration. I'm still having a white balance issue being about 5% off, but I think that's an issue with my avr mucking up the signal. If you can get this line on sale, I don't really think you can beat it. Blacks are pretty much lcd blacks, and there's no local dimming, but the direct-led in this line really works pretty well IMO versus the edge lit units in the same price range. Far more even lighting, and my off axis viewing actually isn't all that bad. The motion is plenty smooth too, much to the point of looking fake w/out reducing the settings for me.
post #108 of 245 Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubs92 View Post

My ps4 is hooked up to the 40" it looks great. Especially killzone shadow fall.

How's the input lag? It seems to be one of the major cons for this set, which is otherwise one of the best TV's around for the price and the amount of awesome features you get (it's one of it's kind for the price point).

rtings says it has 75ms, which is pretty bad for gaming (especially online gaming). http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/fh6030

Also Displaylag.com has the 6030 model 55" at 59ms input lag, and that is as optimal as the set can get (game mode, all enhancement settings off, and bare-bones settings... which is not going to give a nice picture quality).

Here's DL's database, search the page for 6030 - http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Have you jumped online for KZ:SF or other fast paced games like Battlefield or COD? The 6030 is a really nice TV with a high quality panel and tons of great features (fully adjustable motion smoothing settings, 3D, 240hz CMR etc etc), but the input lag is worrying.
post #109 of 245 Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 AM

Yeah, i also wonder what the input lag feels luke in this set. 75ms and 59ms is pretty bad for gaming. But then again. If you want to get competitive, might as well buy a gaming monitor lol.

And thanks for the info, might end up getting it just for the picture quality to especially watch movies
post #110 of 245 Old 12-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukoplast View Post

Have you jumped online for KZ:SF or other fast paced games like Battlefield or COD?

What does playing online have to do with the latency of your monitor?
post #111 of 245 Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you jumped online for KZ:SF or other fast paced games like Battlefield or COD?

What does playing online have to do with the latency of your monitor?

Any added latency, from any source, is never a good thing for online gaming.

Let's say you had a perfect 0ms latency connection to the games servers, but your TV has 75ms of input lag. This means that everything you see on the screen is 75ms late. Say you are a sniper aiming at a moving target, well the picture you are seeing of the player running is 75ms in the past, so you may take the shot thinking you hit them square on, but due to the input lag, you actually shot behind them and missed.

You could use the same example for people shooting you, in which you won't know you are being shot (or see who is shooting you) for 75ms. Then when you return fire, you are looking at an image that is 75ms in the past.

Add the input lag of the TV in conjunction with whatever latency you have to the servers (likely 70-100ms, or more) and it adds up very quickly. For FPS online games, this could mean the difference between life or death, or the difference of taking out a target accurately.
post #112 of 245 Old 12-19-2013, 03:10 PM

If you are truly this concerned about the latency of your display, I would recommend taking your same budget and buying a smaller, but better, display tasked specifically for what you are wanting to do. For the price, it's rather hard to fault much about this.
post #113 of 245 Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM

As the above have said, latency does come in play specially in FPS games. Although most console gamers play on regular hdtvs, the more competitive will opt for a computer monitor with low input. Honestly, this tv set seems great for the price, as well for casual gaming...sometines i dont feel like sitting about 2 feet away from the monitor and rather kick back at 7ft from a .40inch
post #114 of 245 Old 12-19-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

How's the input lag? It seems to be one of the major cons for this set, which is otherwise one of the best TV's around for the price and the amount of awesome features you get (it's one of it's kind for the price point).

rtings says it has 75ms, which is pretty bad for gaming (especially online gaming). http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/fh6030

Also Displaylag.com has the 6030 model 55" at 59ms input lag, and that is as optimal as the set can get (game mode, all enhancement settings off, and bare-bones settings... which is not going to give a nice picture quality).

Here's DL's database, search the page for 6030 - http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Have you jumped online for KZ:SF or other fast paced games like Battlefield or COD? The 6030 is a really nice TV with a high quality panel and tons of great features (fully adjustable motion smoothing settings, 3D, 240hz CMR etc etc), but the input lag is worrying.

I have a 360, i play modern warfare 3 and cod black ops 2 not using "game mode'', with many of the goodie settings on including cmr, i have noticed very minimal lag, i keep CMR set to "clear mode" with the reduce functions raised a fair bit, i also use the led motion plus setting.

again no game mode, no pc input rename, just plug & play, using rgb full on every source, passthrough a denon reciever that from what ive seen so far (and know how to test for so far) doesn't clip any rgb levels.

imo i would put little stock into those ratings and if you have to lug your ps3 or console in with you to the store and do some experimenting...but honestly, I am quite pleased and have noticed no issues with input lag on fast fps. my lcd has the ts01 panel.

however in gta5 i noticed some sluggishness when using the submarine while looking around  from underwater to above to fast, i am not sure if this is "input lag" or not. 

hope this helps

post #115 of 245 Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 AM

Hey all,

I just joined the forums, and I just bought this TV (55" version). I think I am having a little trouble with it. My blu ray movies look like upconverted DVDs (slightly better than normal upconverted DVDs) for some reason. I tried RED, A-Team, Lincoln and Iron Man and none really looked that good. I have it set to the "recommended" calibration settings that I found on a review website, but I think I may tinker with it some more. We watched Tangled, and it seemed to look better than the live-action movies did (not as fuzzy) so I have no idea what could be going on.

It is hooked up to my Pioneer HTP-071, which has the blu ray player (Samsung BD-D5100) plugged directly into it as well. Could it be because the BD is plugged into the receiver and not the TV? It's what the HTP-071's instructions told me to do.

I also noticed that some of my settings are grayed out, and when I try to select them it says "function isn't available" (HDMI Black Level and Film Mode are two I remember off hand). What might be causing this? Poor HDMI cable?

Sorry I have a lot of questions, but I just want to get my system up to the best quality it can be. As of now, my older Samsung 46" LCD TV, uncalibrated, had better picture (to my eyes).

post #116 of 245 Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM

I would suggest to reset your blueray player to default (factory reset on some). Go through and also double check that the BR and avr are set to output in 1080 and not in 720 for some reason.

On the tv, you'll want to get a calibration disc. They're like 20 bucks online, I use the Disney WOW. Basically, you can't use someone elses settings because the screens are ALL different and the viewing conditions are also different. I CAN say though that the sharpness on this set seems to be a little goofy and everyone that has talked about it has it down below 5, alot have it set to 0. I have mine at 2, but with the sharpness at default, there's a ton of 'blurring' going on. So try lowering that down all the way. Also set the screen size to screen fit, this gets rid of the 5% overscan and puts 1080 back into alignment w/ the pixels.

It's morning and I am forgetting in the manual, but film mode and black level are only available depending on the source. Film mode only activates when the signal is 1080i or less, and black level (for me) only seems to be available with BR discs. What exactly film mode does though, I still haven't figured out. But greyed out options are normal based on the circumstance.
davidj8580 likes this.
post #117 of 245 Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I would suggest to reset your blueray player to default (factory reset on some). Go through and also double check that the BR and avr are set to output in 1080 and not in 720 for some reason.

On the tv, you'll want to get a calibration disc. They're like 20 bucks online, I use the Disney WOW. Basically, you can't use someone elses settings because the screens are ALL different and the viewing conditions are also different. I CAN say though that the sharpness on this set seems to be a little goofy and everyone that has talked about it has it down below 5, alot have it set to 0. I have mine at 2, but with the sharpness at default, there's a ton of 'blurring' going on. So try lowering that down all the way. Also set the screen size to screen fit, this gets rid of the 5% overscan and puts 1080 back into alignment w/ the pixels.

It's morning and I am forgetting in the manual, but film mode and black level are only available depending on the source. Film mode only activates when the signal is 1080i or less, and black level (for me) only seems to be available with BR discs. What exactly film mode does though, I still haven't figured out. But greyed out options are normal based on the circumstance.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually bought that Disney WOW disc a few days ago based on a similar suggestion. I am just waiting for it to arrive now.

I'll try resetting the blu ray player and checking the other settings you suggested. 

post #118 of 245 Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkacklover View Post

I just picked up a 55" FH6030 after my 55" EH6030 suffered unfortunate panel damage which was not covered.

I ran the avshd calibration through my ps3 and that plus some of the "legacy" settings from my EH have this set looking sweet.

Standard
Backlight 9 - set this to your own viewing conditions.
Contrast - 89 or 90
Brightness 34-36
Sharpness 4
Color 33 or 34 anything higher is zany
Tint 52-48 or 51-49
Screen fit

These are off or to your taste:
Dyn con low
Black tone dark
Flesh 0 or -1
Color space auto
White balance......
R off 25
G off 27
B off 23
R gain 20
G gain 24
B gain 25

Gamma -1 or 0
Motion off

Warm 1
Dig noise auto
Mpeg auto
Film mode off
Amp custom - blur 7 judder 5 or 3 I tinker with this or go clear based on content watched or off
Led motion off

I have 2 other samsungs with amp and this one seems to do it the lightest of the panels I have.

Thanks for posting your settings. I have used these with a few minor changes, and I have to say that the tv looks fantastic!

My step-father bought this tv the other day here in Canada, and I tried settings others have posted, but yours is the best I have seen yet. I have ramped up the backlight fairly high (17) as they really have a big picture window beside the tv, but I still like the light output at night, and it's never really dark in the room either as they like having at least one light on. I have also upped the brightness to 38, the sharpness to 28 and the gamma to -1 but I left all the others the same.

I haven't seen any of the issues others have had problems with, but I also haven't tried the 3D and likely never will, so no skin off my back.

Thank you very much!!
post #119 of 245 Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 AM

I turned off Digital Noise Reduction completely and my TV looks much better. It no longer looks like upscaled DVDs now (it was always set to 1080p).

post #120 of 245 Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 AM

Picked up 55" TV's and mistakenly plugged into Port 2. Things started to look little ****** right away and I was not pleased with picture quality at all. Today I have plugged into Port 1 and picture quality dramatically looks a lot better. I have yet to get the WOW BR for calibration.

My setup is fairly simple Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, XBox 360 and Boxee all plugged into Onkyo 818 receiver with Paradigm Studio series 5.1. Zone one for receiver is plugged into Port 1 for this TV. Unfortunately Xbox One and PS4 does not support 3D BR yet. The only option I have is to run 3D content via Boxee, which I did and some of the content looks a lot amazing like Grand Canyon while others like Whales and Dolphins were looking overlapped picture more than 3D itself. I am thinking of getting a cheap ass 3D BR player just for the sake of testing 3Ds, let me know if you guys have any recommendations.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page