VIZIO M-Series 40" Razor LED™ Smart TV M401i Official Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Of this type / class / price-point, this Vizio TV is a good buy! 

Note:  

For the other Vizio M-Series screen sizes, see, "Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread" in this forum area (LCD Flat Panel Displays) where mostly the larger screen sizes, 3D, defective panels due to rough handling during shipping, and other tech-talk dominate the thread.  In addition, there seems to be more panel problems with the 55” M-Series more than the other screen sizes.  Message posts are frequent.

Open Thread – You May Reply:

I will continually update (Edit) this particular post with my non-expert review of this 40” model in the days, weeks, and months ahead, so you may wish to bookmark or Favorite this post number (right-click this post’s link number located in the upper-right corner of this message).  

Otherwise, feel free to reply with your review, custom settings, questions, etc. which I or anyone else may reply.  

Updated Review: 2013 Aug 30th 9:00am ET.

Subject to Ongoing Revisions.

This is my first exposure to LED/LCD. 

Overall Picture: 

Fantastic. Never Before Seen Color Hues.  The image clarity and color is nothing short of spectacular, be it HD, SD, or Any-D!

Watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and The Big Valley (MeTV)… even on a lower quality sub-channel is amazing with all the stunning color hues!  From the blackest blacks to the whitest whites… Amazing. 1080p HD is like seeing a 2-and-a-half-D – without the glasses! 

This 40” LCD/LED screen does have its off-axis contrast/color shift, like all LCD screens, but not nearly as bad with previous generations of LCD-only screens. 

I like to watch some Black &White content with a custom color setting to produce a sepia (brownish) hue.   I did this with the Vizio VP322 (Plasma).  With the M401i, this does not work very well, off-axis.  A person must be dead center to see a particular picture brightness, contrast, and color/hue adjustment, especially with the sepia setup. 

My Sepia and ‘Warm’ Settings as of Now: 

I still need to account for these 2 settings by adjusting the brightness and/or the contrast:

Sepia Color Setting:

255  Red Gain

64  Green Gain

0  Blue Gain

64  Red Offset

20  Green Offset

0  Blue Offset

Warm(er) Color Setting:

128  Red Gain

32  Green Gain

0  Blue Gain

64  Red Offset

16  Green Offset

0  Blue Offset

During the summer, the sun shines through our skylight striking the screen.   With the Vizio VP322 plasma TV we had – it was a washout.   I had to put up cardboard shield to block out the sun shining on the right half of the Vizio plasma TV!

With this Vizio LCD/LED TV – it is virtually nonexistent!  No cardboard shield needed anymore!

Tip: If you want to make the picture pop out better in a day lit room, reduce or zero-out the Blue settings (as with my ‘Warm’ adjustment with the Blue Gain/Offset set to 0 and a lowered Green Gain and Offset).  

Remote Control: 

Oh, so sad.  Sniper's Aim required at the bottom-left. 

Not every button click means a command sent to the TV.  One must have enough pressure beyond the 'click' to send a signal.  Who designed this?  How did it get past testing? 

Batteries:  See below “[The Vizio XRT-510 Remote and the Batteries]”

=========================================================

2013 Aug 22nd Update on the Remote Control’s Narrow Aiming: 

After reading of the [M-Series Thread], I find that the narrow aiming of the remote is mainly not with the remote itself.  It is the IR Diode in the TV.  It is located on the UNDERSIDE of the frame! 

I tested this with a small mirror.  It worked!  I can point the remote in the general direction of the TV and not have to aim precisely at bottom-left.  I also find even further improvement at longer distances with even a wider aiming field by turning off the Power Indicator Light.

I shall attach a reflector of some sort under the IR Window, at some point.

So why not have the “VIZIO” logo at the bottom–left or center with the LRD facing out to the viewer instead of down?

=========================================================

[The Vizio XRT-510 Remote and the Batteries]

Fresh batteries installed on Aug 14thDIED within 24 HOURS!   Installed another pair – AGAIN DIED within 24 hours! 

[Update] – New info posted on the [Vizio Remote Thread].

[Updated 2013 Aug 23rd] - Internet Performance: YouTube/Shows/Movies: 

I now have seen HD videos automatically drop down to a lower resolution.  This must be a newly added ‘feature’.  Previously, it did not do this.  In addition, “LOADING” pops in and out while a video is playing.  Before, this only happened when a video froze (buffering).  

I believe the download speed we have (after burst) is around 6-to-7Mbps during peak traffic times.  Apparently, this download speed is not quite reliable enough for 1080p videos.   At off-peak times, I have seen 10-to-11 Mbps speeds and 1080p videos play fine, mostly.  

I have been researching and looking to get a new modem that allows “Channel Bonding”.   From what I gather, this should increase the download speed at the current tier we subscribe to. 

Other Notables:

Except for the [Power] button on the rear-left, there are no user controls on TV.   I did find out from the M-Series message thread that the power button doubles for changing the input!  Quick presses of the power button changes to the other inputs.  I do not think this feature is mentioned in the manual.

Limited Composite/Component Inputs:  Only 1 and it is shared.

Shadowy/Light Falloff at the edges. (Not major thing with me.  It is worse with off-axis viewing at the far edge.)

The Program Info/Guide Popup Text is very small.  There should have been a way to cycle through larger sizes of the text.

Smart Dimming:  I turned it OFF.   A certain dark/light mixed scene (The Big Valley) pumped the dimming up and down.  In addition, at certain times, some centrally located text became hard to read with SD on.

Sound:  Gifted a Sound Bar – Not used at all times, but when I do, it is cool.  Maybe someday 12.2 4D Sound-Abound.    :D

Sound: The built-in speakers are in the rear and bottom (vs in front on my former Vizio VP322 Plasma TV).  At first, I did not like it.  I am use to it now.  I am considering adding some reflectors.   However, as it is now, the sound is more ‘open’ and ‘room-filling’.   There are a handful of preset EQ settings to choose from, and any one of these are adjustable to your liking.  Actually, I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of sound from this thin TV.   If you are wondering:  External speakers or sound bars are not required.  This is not your yesteryear’s tinny, cheap sound from the older LCDs and plasmas.

Sound: EQ Settings.  I adjusted some of the lower frequencies up a bit in the Bass Boost Mode.  

Picture Quality:  Varies greatly.  It depends on the source material. (Such as, camera changes with ‘out of sync’ color or scene changes.  That is how good this TV is.  It will show the flaws that are more or less ‘hidden’ from other older TVs.)

Firmware: 

Firmware updates download automatically in serial number batches over time, if you are Internet/Broadband connected.  

Earlier in August 2013, my M401i-A3 had version 1.08.12.0000 installed. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links:

http://www.hdtv-database.com/vizio-m401i-a3

http://reviews.cnet.com/basic-hdtv-tips/

http://reviews.cnet.com/intermediate-hdtv-tips/

http://www.rtings.com/info/television-size-to-distance-relationship

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre-hcfr/hcfr-colormeter/

My Future Review Edit ‘To Do’ List:

I will be 'calibrating' / making user-adjustments on the other inputs with the 'Video Essentials' DVD purchased years ago.  (I already did the DVD input.  Awesome!)

Audio:  Post my Adjusted EQ Modes.

Picture Sizing/Position: Post Horizontal / Vertical settings.

Measure my Off-Axis Viewing Angle.

Post all of my picture and audio setting adjustments.

VIZIO 40” Class Razor LED Smart TV

• VIZIO Internet Apps Plus™
  • Razor LED™ with Smart Dimming™
  • 120Hz effective refresh rate
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • 1080p Full HD resolution
  • 10 million to 1 ultra-high contrast
  • Backlit smart remote included
  • 3 HDMI ports

. . .

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected to a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

More info added today.  

Added Smart Dimming change.   Turned it OFF.

See the revised post #1 above.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
connected to a
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.
post #3 of 30 Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice thread, thanks for taking the time to post

I was just looking at this TV at Costco, It will be a going in my bar and not my primary

Looking at the Vizio, the Sony R450A and the Samsung UN40EH5300F. Looking at the Samsung it appears to only be a 60Hz tv so that is out. Sony doesn't have any smart apps. So I was leaning towards this Vizio

Glad I found this thread and will be keeping an eye on it

Mike
post #4 of 30 Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper8u2 View Post

...leaning towards this Vizio...

...Glad I found this thread and will be keeping an eye on it. 

Mike

Ok, Mike.  Just updated the review.

- Pj
connected to a
post #5 of 30 Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Liked: 12
Great review and lucky you for getting a functional set but let me share my bad luck with this TV as I went through 3 of them before giving up.

After the announcement of the PS4 I was all excited to get one but I realized that my old 720p bare-bones basic TV needed an upgrade for the next generation. So I started doing some online research and really liked the looks and specs on the Vizio M-Series. Thinking the 40" Vizio M401I-A3 would fit my living room great and it had the right features so I ordered one and here's what happened:

M401I-A3 No. 1: Had a stuck pixel but a tap to the screen revived it. However, the TV had a horrible blue ghosting effect during games (on all inputs, even composite) and the blue ghosting affected streaming movies on all inputs and even basic cable. Also, it took different gradients of the color blue and and combined it into a giant blue blob of neon-blue.

M401I-A3 No. 2: Had 8 dead pixels all next to each other making a big black dot on the screen. Nothing could fix that.

M401I-A3 No. 3: Had 11 stuck pixels above the "V" logo you could see when powering on and 4 dead pixels off to the right. And, the blue ghosting was back in full force.

After this I gave up on the M-Series M401I-A3 and returned it. Aesthetically, the TV is gorgeous but electronically...it was a dud every time. Sorry but, after this, I went with a different manufacturer and... no issues. Now... just to wait for the PS4.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-22-2013, 10:30 AM

I've owned mine for several months now and I'm fairly happy. Screen quality was spot on, and when testing for bad pixels, I'm unable to find any.

Purchased through Costco. Their electronics return policy is top notch, so even if I had run into a problem, I wasn't worried about replacement.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 AM

I'm looking at picking up a TV for gaming on a PS4 and PS3 in the bedroom.

I have the m501d for the living room and it's a great TV. I also know there's a bit of a difference in the <50" models. How does it compare to a comparable E series?

I'd love to get another m501d for the upstairs, but the additional money's a bit hard to justify at the moment.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
post #8 of 30 Old 12-25-2013, 02:46 AM

Just picked this up. Love it so far!

PSN: itsGEE_21
post #9 of 30 Old 12-25-2013, 06:09 AM

Liked: 11

It will be a going in my bar and not my primary

post #10 of 30 Old 12-27-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Is anyone having problems with adjusting the Horizontal Width?   The width looked a little too wide on an OTA channel but the Horizontal Adjustment is grayed-out.    I changed the input to cable, zeroed the Horizontal Width, went back to OTA, it is still grayed-out, went back to cable and the Horizontal Width Adjustment – now it is grayed-out!

I will update the review with some new ‘sepia’ color settings soon. 

- Pj
connected to a
post #11 of 30 Old 01-18-2014, 02:58 PM

I really appreciate this forum, since I just opened up my first HDTV, a Vizio M401i-A3, today.  I hope it is the first of many HDTV's for me.  My first question is…the remote with this unit, the XRT510…did I read above that with a recent firmware update this unit can be programed to control one other device?  LIke my Motorola VP1216 cable box?  If so, how?

Frank

post #12 of 30 Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Since I am pretty much a rookie at all-things-HDTV, I really don't know much about Horizontal Width.  But, I did find one feature today that I like a great deal.  I was watching a college basketball game that was NOT available in HD.  The picture on the station was shrunk…looked like a shadow box.  I found the WIDE button on the remote (looks like a rectangle) and it gives immediate options for screen sizes.  I was able to boost the picture size immediately…it's not like HD, but it's much more pleasant than watching the game in shadow box.

post #13 of 30 Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 PM

My TV received the 1.09 update today and ever since then my DirecTV DVR has been suffering playback issues. Does anyone have any ideas or suffering a similar issue?
post #14 of 30 Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 PM

My M401i-A3 also received a firmware update (to version V1.09.42.0080) on 3/5/14.  Have been struggling with chronic sound sync problems ever since.  

TV can only go about 10-15 minutes on a given cable channel before a sound bite stutters/repeats (sometimes two or three times) while video continues.  Sound eventually picks back up but remains 2-3 seconds behind video.

Only way to restore proper sync is to change channel then change back. Now having to do this 4-5 times to make it through an hour-long show.  This can't go on!

Anyone else dealing with this since firmware update?  Such a shame because this TV had been flawless up until then.

One other thought: could it be an issue with input from cable box (TimeWarner in Brooklyn, NY)? I've noticed that recorded feeds from "Start Over" option have same issue; you can often see a bit of pixelation of video when sound bite stutter/repeat occurs (don't notice that when it happens in live feeds), but sound ends up 2-3 seconds behind video.  Only way to sync back up is to rewind to point of stutter and hope recorded feed rides through the hiccup, which generally does happen after a try or two.

Perhaps the onset of this was just an unfortunate coincidence with firmware update?  Could it be that that just masked an issue with the input source?  Nothing has changed with cable box or HDMI cable in input setup as far as I know.

Really appreciate any help.  Would hate to have to return/replace what was otherwise such a perfect TV.

post #15 of 30 Old 03-23-2014, 04:09 PM

I picked this up from Costco yesterday for my home office/man cave. I play PS3 on it often and watch sports. Has anyone calibrated this tv yet? I did find the preferred settings in the other M-Series thread but I'm having a hard time settings them. This is what I found:

Settings:Calibrated Dark
Backlight:50
Brightness:52
Contrast:73
Color:53
Tint:0
Sharpness:20
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
R/G:525
G/G:472
B/G:443
R/Off:505
G/Off:512
B/Off:514
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.
Black detail:Off ( very aggressive Dynamic Con) crushed blacks on every setting
Smart Dimming:On
Reduced Noise:Off
Reduce Block:Off
Film Mode:Auto

I have everything else set up and the picture looks good except for the color settings "R/G, G/G..." not sure how to set these settings on our TV. I've gone to "Professional Picture" setup but I can't seem to get anywhere close to these posted numbers...can anyone offer any advice? OP, I see on your to-do list you have listed calibration...have you had a chance to do that yet? What are your settings?

Even in these color settings posted in the OP for example (below) my Red Gain doesn't even go above 100, how do you have it set to 255?

Sepia Color Setting:

255 Red Gain
64 Green Gain
0 Blue Gain

64 Red Offset
20 Green Offset
0 Blue Offset

Warm(er) Color Setting:

128 Red Gain
32 Green Gain
0 Blue Gain

64 Red Offset
16 Green Offset
0 Blue Offset
post #16 of 30 Old 03-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Hey KingZee,

I picked this model up yesterday at Costco as well and was having the same problem. I found out about an android/ipad app called THX Tune Up. it's currently free through the apple store. You just have to have some way of streaming from your device to the tv, airplay for example. Anyways I was thinking of taking it back until I used that app and optimized it. If you don't have access these are the settings I got. I think they tend to vary depending on room lighting and stuff so you should use the app if you can. If not here they are:

Backlight 100
Bright 62
Contrast 76
Color 52
Tint 0
Sharpness 32.

Hope this helps!
post #17 of 30 Old 03-30-2014, 07:17 PM

VizioM401iA3Fan,

I'm having the same exact issue with the sound sync problems. I've changed the hdmi cable, the satellite box (from directv to dish even) and tried simply changing hdmi ports but to no avail. Hopefully they come up with fix via firmware update. If anyone has any other info that would definitely be appreciated.
post #18 of 30 Old 04-19-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I just HDMI connected a Denon X1000 to my Vizio M series 40 inch and now have great sound except for network which is ethernet connected to AVR. When I try to watch Netflix or an Amazon movie I have a great picture but no sound.

Can someone please advise on how to fix this issue.

post #19 of 30 Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Hi craus81,

Any luck resolving the chronic sound sync problems?

I've also restored the factory settings to no avail--and tried all other setting fixes at my disposal (e.g. cable box, HDMI). They seem to mitigate the issue for a time, but it inevitably returns to the state it was after the firmware update.  Very distressing.

I've explained this to Vizio tech support and am awaiting a response.

post #20 of 30 Old 05-24-2014, 08:09 AM

I am returning my M401i to Sam's today because it has a random power on problem that was not cured by a factory reset. It's annoying when the TV turns on in the middle of the night!

Vizio tech support hasn't figured it out....here's my exchanges with them: (shared because the first reply is complete B.S.)

Anyone have this issue and successfully repair it?

Original Message
Subject: [VIZIO] Re: Model M401i-A3 issue
Date: Thu, May 22, 2014 2:49 pm
To:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request (620143) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email.

Kali (VIZIO)

May 22 02:49 PM

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

I apologize your VIZIO is still not working properly. Please call technical support at 1-877-878-4946 so that your issue can be properly addressed.

Best regards!

Kali L
VIZIO -The Home of Entertainment Freedom for All
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946
visit us: www.vizio.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/vizio
Twitter : www.twitter.com/viziotv

Tbone

May 22 09:10 AM

There are no devices connected to the TV. Any other ideas, or do I need to return it?

Any way to change the frequency of the remote in case another unit in my condo complex has a remote that is keying mine?

Original Message
Subject: [VIZIO] Re: Model M401i-A3 issue
Date: Wed, May 21, 2014 1:18 pm
To:

Kali (VIZIO)

May 21 01:18 PM

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you with your concern. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

What we suggest trying first is set the audio out on the connected device to PCM or LPCM. What happens is the digital audio out on the device connected to the TV is set to Dolby Digital. This overloads the chip on the TV which causes anomalies such as this.

If you need any additional assistance feel free to contact VIZIO at 1-877-878-4946 or chat with us at chat.vizio.com.

Thanks and have a great day!

Kali L
VIZIO -The Home of Entertainment Freedom for All
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946
visit us: www.vizio.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/vizio
Twitter : www.twitter.com/viziotv

May 21 10:11 AM

I recently purchased the subject TV and it has started to power on by itself without me requesting it to do so.

Before I return it to Sam's Club, I thought it best to contact you and see if there is a software fix available to cure this issue.

The software version is V1.09.38.0080.

I don't see a menu to check for software updates.

Your help is appreciated!
post #21 of 30 Old 06-27-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my. I turned-on the TV earlier and find a message that a new software update was on my M401i-A3. 1.34...

I cannot find the 'old' RGB Gain/Offset settings. There's a whole new picture setup menu. Hey, looky here - Test patterns. Maybe I can zero-in on a good sepia setup for B&W content?

I wish there would have been a warning ahead of time with a message on the TV that this update was coming. I did not write down my newest settings just yet under the 1.08xx software. Looks like my original 'Sepia' setting was saved as "Custom 1" and my other with the color on as "Custom 2". Problem is, I cannot find the 'old' RGB Gain/Offset settings - as the adjustments I made are still in effect but it does not reflect that in the new color menu!

I may have to start over by doing reset of the TV.

I just noticed (before and now with the new update) that some B&W programming has a lot of green in the image, yet on my 19" Philips TV is was ok. I thought all along it was the network or local station's fault, until I happened to catch the content at the time it was airing on the 19" TV. Why is that the Philips shows the program in B&W with no green tint, yet the green is quite obvious with the Vizio TV?

Anyway, I had setup under version 1.08... two identical picture settings, except one had the color set to zero so I could get a halfway decent sepia color for B&W programs.

My hope is to setup the B&W with the new Picture Setting features to get a better B&W image so as to better setup for a Sepia mode setting.

New Device Setup Menu:

I paired 3 devices, but ended up unpairing 2 of them. One was a Sony DVR. However, being on that input, when I pressed Menu on the Vizio remote, the menu on the DVR pops up. How do I get the Menu for the TV to come up?

With the sound bar, I could not control the TV's speaker. Using the Vizio remote volume kept turning on the sound bar. I only use the sound bar occasionally, so this was not gonna to work for me - so I unpaired this, too.

I did Pair the Vizio Remote, however.

- Pj
connected to a
post #22 of 30 Old 06-27-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

With the 1.34xx update, here's the new PDF for the M401i-A3 Model on the Vizio site:

store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M401iA3/UM_M401iA3.pdf

Also, check for the new manual in your TV's Menu. The new features are in the updated manual.

- Pj
connected to a
post #23 of 30 Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked the remote and it is in WiFi mode.

One problem. In less than 24 hours, the Battery Meter (Device Menu) shows the level has gone from 100% to 86%!!!

I just put the batteries in yesterday! (My RS Battery Checker showed the batteries were 'fresh' with full power.)

I unpaired the remote and it turned-off the WiFi.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 06-28-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #24 of 30 Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any idea on how long it takes for the firmware updates to roll around to all the units. After reading the post on the 1.34 update. I took the time to setup the wireless connection to receive the update. I am hoping that the extra control in the menu will help tone down the cloudiness when scenes go from dark to light.
post #25 of 30 Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Dayton View Post
Any idea on how long it takes for the firmware updates to roll around to all the units. After reading the post on the 1.34 update. I took the time to setup the wireless connection to receive the update. I am hoping that the extra control in the menu will help tone down the cloudiness when scenes go from dark to light.

Cloudiness? Please explain.

From what I have read on the Mxx1i thread, the updates are sent out in batches (by serial numbers and panel types?). It can take up to a month or more before everyone gets it, I suppose. Longer, if Vizio stops sending out an update if a significant bug is reported.

I am not sure if the TV has to be off, and if so, what is the minimum OFF time to get the update?

I need to contact Vizio about my YouTube 'Quit' problem and the battery-hungry remote, so I could ask them about the software/firmware updates.

- Pj
connected to a
post #26 of 30 Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

Cloudiness? Please explain.

From what I have read on the Mxx1i thread, the updates are sent out in batches (by serial numbers and panel types?). It can take up to a month or more before everyone gets it, I suppose. Longer, if Vizio stops sending out an update if a significant bug is reported.

I am not sure if the TV has to be off, and if so, what is the minimum OFF time to get the update?

I need to contact Vizio about my YouTube 'Quit' problem and the battery-hungry remote, so I could ask them about the software/firmware updates.

When the screen goes from a dark scene to normal or with the white text on a black screen from credits seems to leave a cloudy effect during the scene change. This my first LCD/LED and not use to this anomaly. I have a older 768P plasma set as my main set and it does not suffer from this effect. Also the slight edge bleed from the sides drives me crazy also.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-01-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Dayton View Post
When the screen goes from a dark scene to normal or with the white text on a black screen from credits seems to leave a cloudy effect during the scene change. This my first LCD/LED and not use to this anomaly. I have a older 768P plasma set as my main set and it does not suffer from this effect. Also the slight edge bleed from the sides drives me crazy also.
Ah. Some of us do not like 'clouds' and edge bleeds... me included. So, we turn off Auto-Dimming and turn down the back-lighting.

I turned off my Auto-Dimming not too long after receiving this TV last year.

These Edge-Lit sets is what most of us put up with - giving the technology/price-point factor. However, some of the sets can and do have too much edge bleed - to the point where some people exchanged for the same or different model and edge bleed was all but gone entirely. I see it on mine, but it is not as dramatic as it is/was for others. (Again though, I have my back-light turned down and Auto-Dimming is OFF.)

The 2014 Full-Array Back-light versions are supposed to be much better - because they are not the Edge-Lit type.

What has been tough for me more than anything else to get used to (as with the previous Vizio plasma) is the Off-Axis viewing of B&W programming with adjusted setting to replicate a Sepia Tone. Looks good with straight-on viewing, but off-axis viewing, there is an off-color mix shades of pinks and greens. No problem with the Sepia or Amber setup I had with the plasma set.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 07-01-2014 at 05:09 PM.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 PM

Liked: 0
great,After reading the post on the 1.34 update. I took the time to setup the wireless connection to receive the update. I am hoping that the extra control in the menu will help tone down the cloudiness when scenes go from dark to light.[IMG]http://*******/njkHuk[/IMG]
post #29 of 30 Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Exclamation Sepia Tone Test Setting

My first try of Sepia Tone with the 11-Point White Balance Setting.

Note: Any Adjustments made in the Preset Picture Modes are automatically saved as "Custom 1-through-8".
(I believe this means adjustments made in the Preset Picture Modes are NOT saved. Does this mean if I had made a 9th adjustment in one of the Preset Picture Modes, Custom-1 gets written-over or not saved?)

I created a Custom Setting, "Sepia Test".

Note: I find that this 11-PWBS adjustment is for all the Picture Modes for a particular Input.
This will definitely give a Very Warm White Balance for all other Picture Modes on the given Input.

Color Tuner

11-Point White Balance:

Code:
Gain     Red       Green       Blue
[5%]    [25]        [0]        [-25] 

10% Through 100%:

[50]        [0]        [-50] 

For an 'Amber Color Mode', Turn Off the Blue Color.  

Other Settings

Auto Brightness:    OFF
Backlight:           60
Brightness:          40-50 (40 for my Off-Axis viewing) 
Contrast:            50 
Color:                0
Tint:                 0 
Sharpness:          100 (For Old B&W Films.) 
                   (0-to-100 depending how you like sharpness/softness of content.) 

Advanced

Color Temp:         Normal 

(The Next 5 are Set to OFF.)

Film:               Auto

- Pj
connected to a
post #30 of 30 Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I Will Be Updating and/or Adding New Settings...

After viewing for a time and comparing URSA's Settings, I made my own adjustments to a brighter punch, I came up with this on my M401i-A3:

Note: These settings are for my Off-Axis viewing. Colors, Brightness, and Contrast will be a little more intense for straight-on viewing. My only calibration tool: My eyes.

Code:

Auto Brightness         Off   
 Backlight                80 (50-80 as needed or Auto Brightness on High)
 Brightness               45 (40-50, Source/Content Dependent.)   
 Contrast                 65 (68 and above turns the bright whites into a pinkish tint.)    
 Color                    60 (50-60 Source/Content Dependent.)  
 Tint                      0   
 Sharpness                 0 (Source/Content Dependent. Old Films 25-100)   

Advanced:    

Color Temp                Normal   
 Black Detail              Low   
 Not-So-Smart Dimming      OFF  :) (Lots of differing opinions/preferences with this one.)   
 Motion Blur               Off (Undecided - More Testing Needed.)   
 Reduce Signal Noise       Off (Sometimes 'Low' for Analog Signals.)  
 Reduce Block Noise        Off (Did not test yet to see if I want it on.)  
 Film Mode                 Auto    

Pro Picture Settings:

Default for now. I shall try URSA's Pro Settings along with my above settings.

Note: For my Sepia Tone Setting, I have the above Custom setup mirrored to another except I have Color at 0 and in the Pro Picture Settings, I have the Blue Offset and Gain at -25. Changing anything in Pro, however, will be in all other Custom settings on the given Input - I think... see the following 'Bug' note.)

Bug?

I did a test on another Input (Cable) where I first setup URSA's settings. I chose one of the Preset settings, made a one digit change to create another Custom Setting. Upon checking my URSA setup in the Pro Settings, I lost the Offset and Gain setup! They were back to zeros! The Brightness setting remained (0, -39, and -50) for the RGB. [For my Firmware version, see my signature below.]

Update: 2014/Aug 3rd

Alternate and/or updated Color Tuner / White Balance Settings forthcoming. When? Well, faster than Vizio's Firmware Rollouts.
Also, I will post links of A3 Panel settings from other members.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-03-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Updated Info
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M401i A3 40 Inch Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M401i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page