Need help deciding between the 2. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Basically it comes down to if you want 3d or not.

The vizios refresh rate is double that of the samsungs BUT the TV just virtually adds those extra panels not doing much. The Samsung to my knowledge is not 3d but it has a couple of neat smart features on it. The Vizio also has smart function but samsungs I would say is better. The picture is where the two differ. Would you have rather 3d or better picture quality?

Basically

The Vizio has 3d

The Sammy has better PQ.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
They both have 3d. One is active and the other is passive. The vizio is 80 inches at $3600 and the Samsung is 75 in at $4000. Leaning a little more toward the Sammy.
post #4 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM

I'm sorry, I missed the 3d part when I looked (must have put the wrong model number in =-)

But yes, I would go with the Sammy because of the PQ and the reliability of the set. The only thing the Vizio does have going for it is that it's passive 3d which means lighter glasses and no batteries. But in all honesty I have a 3d TV and i rarely use it (unless I'm watching the movies I have on blue ray in 3d) but the active 3d glasses aren't so bad, they might even give a better growing experience.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Sorry "meant viewing experience" (Darn autocorrect!)
post #6 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 AM

I'm kinda in the same boat between the two,80 vs 75 is my stumbling block.I know the sammy is better but when I see them side by side the 80 seems so much bigger,We only be using this set for movies and once in a blue moon football game.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Then I would say go for the Vizio honestly. It's going to be bigger and the 3d glasses are much lighter.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
AND according to multiple reviews (including Cnet if. Recall correctly) passive tends to edge out active when it comes to 3D. It looks great on my 55 inch Vizio
ingramba likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Yep jut read that too indept
post #10 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I think Sammy wins...its only 65 lbs and I need to wall mount. The vizio weighs 135 lbs I believe. But then again its 5 inches bigger. So hard to decide. I wish I could see them side by side. How much better is passive over active? I have a 47 inch LG that is passive and the 3d isn't that great. I want a big set with good picture quality and 3d. Which of the 2 has better blacks? Does the 240hz vs 120 hz make a big difference. I watch movies, sports, and play games. Thanks again.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post

I think Sammy wins...its only 65 lbs and I need to wall mount. The vizio weighs 135 lbs I believe. But then again its 5 inches bigger. So hard to decide. I wish I could see them side by side. How much better is passive over active? I have a 47 inch LG that is passive and the 3d isn't that great. I want a big set with good picture quality and 3d. Which of the 2 has better blacks? Does the 240hz vs 120 hz make a big difference. I watch movies, sports, and play games. Thanks again.

Vizio is 113 lbs w/o stand
post #12 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 02:55 PM

Well the hz won't make very much of a difference because the Vizio virtually adds those extra frames.

Active 3d is a little better than passive BUT the glasses are maybe 4 times heavier and need batteries.

The Sammy will no doubt always have better blacks and better more natural colors than Vizio no matter what.

Five inches is nothing really when you think about it. That's basically the size of the iPhone I'm using to write this. You probably won't notice any difference at all in store, and when you get it home it will seem even bigger!

Also don't forget that the resolution is not changing between the two so thats just 1080 lines stretched over more of a distance in the Vizio, so technically the Sammy will also look better closer and farther away.

I think the Sammy wins overall.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Samsung it is. Thanks xnxwxox!
xnxwxox likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-17-2013, 03:30 AM

xnxwxox, I agree with everything you are saying except the size issue, seeing both sizes side by side there is quite a big difference ( I think14% ), and that is what is holding me back.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Tgseaver, it's really not as easy as it looks to pick between two televisions lol (I know what your going through because I'm trying to decide on which TV I should get in the 42" size myself!)

One thing you can do is weight out the pros and cons.

Vizio pros.

Size. 5" bigger than Sammy.
3d. Has lighter glasses and no batteries.
Increased hertz (virtual)
cheaper.

Cons.
It is much heavier than the Sammy.
The picture quality will not be as nice as the Sammy.
The 3d will not stand out as mug as the Sammy.
The extra hertz in the television is virtual hertz which can cause a screen tear affect.

Samsung pros.
It will have deeper blacks and whiter whites.
It will have more natural colors.
The 3d will be much more life like.
Overall much more reliable (than most companies)
Much lighter than the Vizio.

Sammy cons.

It's 5" smaller.
It's 3d glasses take batteries.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you can think of anything else for the list please post them! I hope I helped out a little in making your decision a little easier.

In all honesty you will be getting an excellent television either way!
post #16 of 24 Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Samsung it is. Thanks xnxwxox!

Your welcome ;-)
post #17 of 24 Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnxwxox View Post

Active 3d is a little better than passive BUT the glasses are maybe 4 times heavier and need batteries.

The Sammy will no doubt always have better blacks and better more natural colors than Vizio no matter what.

I think the Sammy wins overall.

Active 3D is more likely to cause eye strain & headaches. Also I've never done a REAL side by side comparison, doing it in stores doesn't really give a good comparison due to no control over picture setting (typically), but the reviews that did side by side like Cnet gave the advantage to passive.

As for superior PQ, OK if you say so, rolleyes.gif . I'll agree that the edge lit M series Vizio black levels aren't great, but then neither are other brand edge lits, but as far as natural colors Vizio can hold it's own with any brand. The only way to decide that would be to compare 2 TV's with the same type feed (the best would be 1080P blu ray via HDMI) & the same picture and the ability to go through a good adjustment on both. The stores put them in store mode which typically isn't the best PQ a tv can give. Don't get me wrong, Sammy's are nice TV's as are Panny's & Sony's, & Vizio's. reliability is basically the same, Consumer reports shows a 2 - 4% reliability between these brands with a disclaimer that 3% or less difference is meaningless so if pricing is the same for same size sets go with what looks good but if you're paying significantly more for the Sammy vs the Vizio it's crazy to not buy the Vizio. I've seen that you can buy a Vizio 55 inch and a good 3D blu ray player and a harmony remote for the same price of competing brands TV alone and still have money left over.

And don't go nuts buying this set because in 4 or 5 years you'll be sticking it in the basement to make room for your 90" 4K set.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-17-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Active 3D is more likely to cause eye strain & headaches. Also I've never done a REAL side by side comparison, doing it in stores doesn't really give a good comparison due to no control over picture setting (typically), but the reviews that did side by side like Cnet gave the advantage to passive.

As for superior PQ, OK if you say so, rolleyes.gif . I'll agree that the edge lit M series Vizio black levels aren't great, but then neither are other brand edge lits, but as far as natural colors Vizio can hold it's own with any brand. The only way to decide that would be to compare 2 TV's with the same type feed (the best would be 1080P blu ray via HDMI) & the same picture and the ability to go through a good adjustment on both. The stores put them in store mode which typically isn't the best PQ a tv can give. Don't get me wrong, Sammy's are nice TV's as are Panny's & Sony's, & Vizio's. reliability is basically the same, Consumer reports shows a 2 - 4% reliability between these brands with a disclaimer that 3% or less difference is meaningless so if pricing is the same for same size sets go with what looks good but if you're paying significantly more for the Sammy vs the Vizio it's crazy to not buy the Vizio. I've seen that you can buy a Vizio 55 inch and a good 3D blu ray player and a harmony remote for the same price of competing brands TV alone and still have money left over.

And don't go nuts buying this set because in 4 or 5 years you'll be sticking it in the basement to make room for your 90" 4K set.

I confess I'm more in sympathy with your view than otherwise. Though the OP will have to live with the final choice. tongue.gif

1) 3D systems. I too have not seen passive and active side-by-side, playing the same content, but I have seen both. I ended up getting an LG 65" passive 3D (biggest available when I bought it). Even leaving out of consideration the expensive battery powered active glasses, passive wins for me. Loss of resolution with passive is more on the order of going to 720p (if you do the math), which depending on viewing distance may not be noticeable anyway. It's just more comfortable for me. No ghosting, no crosstalk, no flicker, and a nice bright picture. 3D is more of an occasional treat than something I'd want to watch every day. After all, even though I now have twenty or so 3D Blu-Rays, I'm not going to watch them every day. So the bulk of my (and everyone elses') viewing will be 2D anyway. Nevertheless, 3D Blu-Rays look wonderful on a passive set and I'm glad I have it.

2) Cheaper set or expensive set right now? (future proofing?). Not with OLED and 4k around the corner. That's why when I decided I wanted one more even bigger TV for my HT, I got a (non-3D) 70" Sharp, a floor display at 30% off. If it lasts until OLED or 4k LED/LCD become affordable, then fine. (I did get an extended warranty for it). Man oh man, I'd love a 90" 4k OLED in the not too distant future.

3) Reliability? Bah, the majors are all within a percentage or two of each other. Get an extended warranty if you're worried. Anybody else recall the Samsung capacitor fiasco a few years ago? There are still lots of former Samsung owners out there with a grudge, who feel they got stiffed when their Samsungs died *just* out of warranty. Not to pick on them too much, but I wouldn't cite reliability to be particularly in their favor.

4) Picture quality. I just dunno about this one and don't know if any head-to-head comparisons or reviews are out there. But they're *both* edge-lit LED/LCDs.

Mind you, all the above is just opinion, but there you are.

Good luck whatever you get.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The Samsungs just had a nice price chop across all levels...
emporio likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #20 of 24 Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You can get the m801d for $3500 (plus tax) with free delivery from both Costco and Sam's Club.
post #21 of 24 Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM

Bump

I was just comparing these two myself.  Any definitive info?  Any more input?

The prices I'm currently seeing are the Sammy for ~ $3500 and the Vizio for ~ $3800.

post #22 of 24 Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Next week the Vizio will be $3200 at Costco.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Need help deciding between the 2. Thank you

This is a really hard question.

I have compared the Vizio 80" with the Samsung 7100 series.

The vizio's passive 3d is excellent. However it does not perform 2d to 3d converting. The samsung does.

The samsungs 3d is active and gives me a headache.

The PQ on both Tv's is good, I prefer the samsung.

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, I would go with the Vizio because of the passive 3d and extra inches.

I decided not to buy either tv since the Sony 4k blows both of them away...NOT BY A LITTLE BIT....but by miles!! It's only 65" but truly amazing.

post #24 of 24 Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post

Next week the Vizio will be $3200 at Costco.

I am looking to buy this set. My 65" Toshiba CRT bit the dust after 13 glorious years.Can you confirm the price drop for next week? Is this US wide?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un75f6400 75 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page