Mainboard Repair Question (Samsung LN40A550) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had a TV repair person check my Sansung TV (LN40A550).

He checked voltage coming out of the power supply and said it is not the capacitor issue.

Then he used a torch to heat the chip (rather the heat sink) on the mainboard, and the display came on. Then he used coolant to cool it back down and the display went off. Conclusion was that the chip on the mainboard was malfuncitoning with a faulty temp sensor, and the main board would need to be replaced.

Don't yet have the estimate for replacing the main board, but my guess is it will be a marginal call whether to fix or scrap.

Anyone else ever seen this? It is counter-intuitive to me -- I would have thought that cooling it might be more likely to bring it back on rather than heating, but you never know.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Here
Best to order the board by the actual part number on the board sometimes you can just Google the board # and get even more results
Shopjinny.com is a well known parts re seller lots of shops use them they warranty parts.
Thermal sensor can fail either way hot or cold fail.
very simple repair to R&R power board .
customary mark up on used parts maybe 20-25% labor including diag maybe $100.00
Remember shop has to pay fixed costs + expenses just to keep the doors open to be there for you.
http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LN40A550+mainboard
used boards are approx $95.00 new boards $200.00 +

new board http://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/LN40A550/Samsung/Samsung/BN9401723K/New.aspx

Again boards should be ordered using the service part # on the board itself.
as to whether it is worth fixing hard to say for a hundred or a little more maybe
maybe not if it is just going to fail again you can get a 39 inch Toshiba LED
on sale sometimes for $299.00 , a 40 inch for a little more .
maybe ask repair shop if that is a recurring fail on those sets.
or maybe Google will know.
Toshiba at least for me have had good pictures and very reliable.

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #3 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks TubeTwister! Really appreciate the insight and links.

So the good news (I guess) is that my repair guy is being straight with me.

The bad news is that it seems there are no refurb mainboards of this type (BN96-08992B) in stock anywhere, and the new ones run $190. So that puts the total repair cost at $345 -- $50 of which I've already paid. Since new TVs are running <$500, that seems like too much.

So I guess my options are wait a bit to see if these boards come back in stock as refurbs, or scrap the TV and get a new one.

Hate to scrap this -- feels wrong for environmental reasons. But financially, hard to invest $300 in a TV that might be worth $450!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
For sure a new 300.00 + tv will probably be better anyway panels have improved a lot costs have come down
most Samsung has questionable reliability for years anyway so if you fix one board who knows about the others

Can't beat a Toshiba for PQ VS dollar amt. unless you go Plasma.I I own a new Toshiba had another for 10 years
no failures .
If you can pick up a used or refurbished n board cheap it might be Ok if not then that's that .
Maybe they don't have any because they go out a lot??
anyway god luck.

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln40a550 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page