Struggling to decide...Samsung vs Sharp vs others...appreciate any help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
M00KIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy,

Im all over the place and unable to decide what to get or what the best bang for the buck would be.

Here is what im working with:
Budget around $3k
Viewing distance 15 feet
Room is very bright and well lit but i could make it darker as i have dark window drapes
Watching lots of sports, Comcast HD channels and sometimes XBOX games along with occasional movies

I have spent couple hours at a local Best Buy but still not any closer what to get....perhaps I'm not understanding what im getting...

Originally i wanted the mighty Panasonic TC-P65ST60 - Read the entire thread in Plasma section on the forum and im kinda leaning against it now.

Really been wanting an LED TV for some time now...

Local Best Buy will price match http://www.eastcoasttvs.com which is super nice cuz their pricing is noticeably less than anywhere else that i have found.

Current choices im thinking

Sharp LC-70LE857U (BB's price is $2999 while east coast is $2369 and u get another 2%)
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/SearchResults.asp?search=LC70LE857U&x=0&y=0


Samsung UN65F8000BF - I really would like Samsung's 9 series but it comes in 75 inch and its $6k
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/SearchResults.asp?search=UN65F8000BF&x=0&y=0


At this point i have enough space to fit a 70inch so im comparing 65/70 inch TVs across the board.

If you guys had to pick between these two which one would you pick and WHY?

Can you recommend another TV in this price range and size and also WHY?

Thanks for any help

Thanks,
Mookie
M00KIE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
M00KIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone?

Perhaps throw in Vizio M series 70 inch into the mix....
M00KIE is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Member
 
emporio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Golden State
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I M00KIE,
I just went through very similar exercise. Same view distance and budget. I think biggest difference is in sports, I like Red and Gold and you probably Dark Blue and Green wink.gif ( Niners and SeaHawks).

I decided to get Samsung UN75F6400AF.

On beginning I was debating UN75F6400AF or UN75F6300AF and UN65F8000BF. But I decided to get bigger screen instead of better TV. 4K's were way out of my budget

I am coming from Panny GT50, but we moved to new place and living room was way more lit. So GT50 went to bedroom.

Please see my thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486602/help-me-decide-new-tv-set-70#post_23644932

Dude seriously!
emporio is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
eclipsegt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've been following the F8000 thread since it began, I've also been to multiple stores to see it in person. I would never recommend a TV that I wouldn't buy myself, so for that reason, I will suggest you get the 65" Samsung F8000.

-The native Black level is great for an LED and it's even better when you enable Micro Dimming.

-The colors are very accurate. Some websites claim the colors are almost reference quality.

-Samsung has fixed the Game Mode, so now the input lag for playing your Xbox (and soon PS4 or Xbox One I would hope) is relatively low.

-The TV has a great design weather you wall mount it or put it on its stand.

The F8000 is not perfect (though no TV is, even OLED has its problems). However, it is one of the best, if not THE best LED TV you can buy right now. I plan to get a 60" myself.
eclipsegt is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
M00KIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i just read the entire Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread and it appears clouding is a big issue with this TV. Wondering if clouding is just common with all big screen TVs or just Sharp?
M00KIE is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Member
 
jim brice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Mookie welcome to AVS, I am also new to the forum as well but have been referencing to it for awhile now. I would say in my opinion that all leds have some problems with clouding not just bigger panels.

Some are worse then others the sharps do have it pretty bad and same as the vizios to, but I would never get a vizio there just terrible. I have been having some some problems with clouding myself on leds. I can't stand clouding, it's awful when watching movies or gaming at night.

I would recommend sony they're tv's are pretty solid for gaming but do have flaws just like any other tv like eclipsegt mentioned. It depends on what your using it most for. You mentioned you own an Xbox 360 but you watch sports. Remember input lag is always there on a high end tv it sucks but really only matters if you game competitively.

If you are a casual core gamer who enjoys cinematics and a videophile as well then by all means go high end and big, and don't worry about input lag. It sounds to me like you might watch sports and movies more so a decent refresh rate might matter to you (it also helps with gaming to).

I really don't care what people say but don't go plasma no matter what. I tried the hype and it didn't please. Like I said I've been in a tv fiasco myself recently, I just made a new tv purchase and been swaping out like crazy, not being satisfied with anything.

This goes into the whole plasma thing so please bare with me haha. Well the first tv I bought was an LG 47lm6700 it got very good reviews and was great on input lag and I'm a gamer so cough cough. Not to mention I was going for 2012 models since all of them were going on sale for new items to be stocked which in the long run I realized isn't a good idea.

Anyway the LG had hotspots (clouding) right out of the box really bad to, best buy didn't even have more in stock hence why going for last year's models isn't a good idea. So I swaped it for the 2013 panosonic 55st60 don't believe the hype I'm telling you, not even from cnet. I mean plasma is great for off viewing angles and color does pop. But everyone always fails to mention image retention even with high end models that have scrolling bars and pixel orbiters still get it.

Now mind you this was the second plasma I ever owned I used to have the HTC 50 blah blab whatever flagship model haha..when 3d was just coming around. That tv was the only one with no ghosting, BUT both plasmas I ever owned both being panosonic the best of plasma! Haha got image retention. In my opinion it's more annoying then clouding.

So back on track the st60 had ir the third day I used it, even just watching tv you'll get it and with sports the little espn logos and the score boards will stick I got the amc HD logo to stick on mine so take my advice everyone and just let plasma rest haha, I hope oled doesn't get ir on the count that they're going to be like the new plasma displays then again not really since they're organic light emitting diodes.

So from there I got the sony kdl-46hx750 I wanted a sony from the start but when I was there the sony was pricey for what I wanted, just a little tv for gaming note why I go 46" if your going to be gaming alot, smaller sizes are much better less input lag and better PQ.

Now Sony's are great but that's where I am now the hx750 turned out to be defected and I'm going through some problems with it, best buy gave me a wall unit of the sony since limited stock (note why I said don't go for last year's model).geek squad told me my problems were too specific, what? Also at that time I wasn't aware when you get a shelf unit your limited warranty gets voided (so never ever get a shelf unit), don't let them talk you into it like how they did with me.

So now here I'm waiting for someone else to come and hopefully give me an RA (replacement authorization). Sorry mookie just some words for thought.

Anyway sony is still amazing offering full 1080p 3d and an awesome refresh rate with the x-realality engine and with newer models the pro engine. In my opinion sony takes the cake with a better picture then samsung. So since you wanted to go big here are some big screen recommendations from Sony's new R and W series (which I'm hoping to get an RA with the kdl-47w802a), I recommend that you stay in the 55"-60" range since PQ will look more crisp but I'll start with biggest to smallest so here they are.

Kdl-70r520a: which is $2,398.00 it's 120hz smart but no 3d on the bright side it's pretty cheap for a 70" display.

kdl-60r550a this model is not priced on the best buy website but I found it on Amazon for $898.00 and $1,375.00 on eastcosttvs.com also pretty Damn cheap for a 60" no 240hz refresh rate but it does carry full 1080p HD 3d and four pairs of 3d glasses to come with it, also a nifty little feature on this bad boy is the capability to have directv with out a receiver it's built right in. I'm actually jealous of that haha.

And lastly it's a bit smaller but it's the one I would recommend the most, and that would be the Kdl-55w900a which is $2,299.98 now it is a 55" but I think that would look the most crisp in your room since you won't be that close to it. This tv comes packed with everything 1080p full 3d with four pairs of 3d glasses to accommodate it, smart features and a 240hz refresh rate running with the x-realality pro engine. Not to mention all of these models have local-dimming to reduce clouding.

So mookie sorry for the long post but I hope there was some good advice for you to follow. It's been a pleasure hope to hear from you.

Why, Sony? Why?...
jim brice is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim brice View Post

Hey Mookie welcome to AVS, I am also new to the forum as well but have been referencing to it for awhile now. I would say in my opinion that all leds have some problems with clouding not just bigger panels. Some are worse then others the sharps do have it pretty bad and same as the vizios to, but I would never get a vizio there just terrible. I have been having some some problems with clouding myself on leds. I can't stand clouding, it's awful when watching movies or gaming at night. I would recommend sony they're tv's are pretty solid for gaming but do have flaws just like any other tv like eclipsegt mentioned. It depends on what your using it most for. You mentioned you own an Xbox 360 but you watch sports. Remember input lag is always there on a high end tv it sucks but really only matters if you game competitively. If you are a casual core gamer who enjoys cinematics and a videophile as well then by all means go high end and big, and don't worry about input lag. It sounds to me like you might watch sports and movies more so a decent refresh rate might matter to you (it also helps with gaming to). I really don't care what people say but don't go plasma no matter what. I tried the hype and it didn't please. Like I said I've been in a tv fiasco myself recently, I just made a new tv purchase and been swaping out like crazy, not being satisfied with anything. This goes into the whole plasma thing so please bare with me haha. Well the first tv I bought was an LG 47lm6700 it got very good reviews and was great on input lag and I'm a gamer so cough cough. Not to mention I was going for 2012 models since all of them were going on sale for new items to be stocked which in the long run I realized isn't a good idea. Anyway the LG had hotspots (clouding) right out of the box really bad to, best buy didn't even have more in stock hence why going for last year's models isn't a good idea. So I swaped it for the 2013 panosonic 55st60 don't believe the hype I'm telling you, not even from cnet. I mean plasma is great for off viewing angles and color does pop. But everyone always fails to mention image retention even with high end models that have scrolling bars and pixel orbiters still get it. Now mind you this was the second plasma I ever owned I used to have the HTC 50 blah blab whatever flagship model haha..when 3d was just coming around that tv was the only one with no ghosting, BUT both plasmas I ever owned both being panosonic the best of plasma! Haha got image retention. In my opinion it's more annoying then clouding. So back on track the st60 had ir the third day I used it, even just watching tv you'll get it and with sports the little espn logos and the score boards will stick I got the amc HD logo to stick on mine so take my advice everyone and just let plasma rest haha, I hope oled doesn't get ir on the count that they're going to be like the new plasma displays then again not really since they're organic light emitting diodes. So from there I got the sony kdl-46hx750 I wanted a sony from the start but when I was there the sony was pricey for what I wanted, just a little tv for gaming note why I go 46" if your going to be gaming alot, smaller sizes are much better less input lag and better PQ. Now Sony's are great but that's where I am now the hx750 turned out to be defected and I'm going through some problems with it, best buy gave me a wall unit of the sony since limited stock (note why I said don't go for last year's model).geek squad told me my problems were too specific, what? Also at that time I wasn't aware when you get a shelf unit your limited warranty gets voided (so never ever get a shelf unit), don't let them talk you into it like how they did with me. So now here I'm waiting for someone else to come and hopefully give me an RA (replacement authorization). Sorry mookie just some words for thought. Anyway sony is still amazing offering full 1080p 3d and an awesome refresh rate with the x-realality engine and with newer models the pro engine. In my opinion sony takes the cake with a better picture then samsung. So since you wanted to go big here are some big screen recommendations from Sony's new R and W series (which I'm hoping to get an RA with the kdl-47w802a), I recommend that you stay in the 55"-60" range since PQ will look more crisp but I'll start with biggest to smallest so here they are. Kdl-70r520a: which is $2,398.00 it's 120hz smart but no 3d on the bright side it's pretty cheap for a 70" display, kdl-60r550a this model is not priced on the best buy website but I found it on Amazon for $898.00 and $1,375.00 on eastcosttvs.com also pretty Damn cheap for a 60" no 240hz refresh rate but it does carry full 1080p HD 3d and four pairs of 3d glasses to come with it, also a nifty little feature on this bad boy is the capability to have directv with out a receiver it's built right in. I'm actually jealous of that haha,and lastly it's a bit smaller but it's the one I would recommend the most, and that would be the Kdl-55w900a which is $2,299.98 now it is a 55" but I think that would look the most crisp in your room since you won't be that close to it. This tv comes packed with everything 1080p full 3d with four pairs of 3d glasses to accommodate it, smart features and a 240hz refresh rate running with the x-realality pro engine. Not to mention all of these models have local-dimming to reduce clouding. So mookie sorry for the long post but I hope there was some good advice for you to follow. It's been a pleasure hope to hear from you.- the bearded gamer.

It is great that you offered so much info but reading a 2 page paragraph is tough! I could not make it through your post before having my brain explode. lol

It was probably even worse of me to quote all that text. haha

Anyway, I did make it through to see you discussing the ST60. I owned one and returned it due to image retention. It did have a great piture though.

I ended up with a Samsung 60es7500. The only time you can see any type of clouding on it is when you are in a pitch black room on a total black screen and for that I have a bias lighting kit which negates any clouding you could possible see.

Samsungs micro dimming is top notch. I also went through 4 different 2012 LG LED models and the Samsung's blacks and screen uniformty blow it away. In a lighted environment the Sammy's black appear darker then even the ST60 did.

So I am going to assume the 2013 Sammy F models will be even better the the 2012 ES model I currently own.
eric3316 is online now  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
M00KIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jim Brice for the feedback, a bit hard to read but i made it all the way thru.

The more research i do the more disappointed i get with these big screen LED TVs. All appear to have some sorta issue so im thinking why am i paying this much to have issues? I "assumed" getting top notch meant i get the best...perhaps not so much?

My current 50 inch LG TV(LCD) is very nice when i watch HD channels... no issues at all....maybe i need to re-think what i want.

As far as games go i have PS3 and Xbox but i only play Fifa and Forza games and i dont even play them online...
M00KIE is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
fritzi93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00KIE View Post

So i just read the entire Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread and it appears clouding is a big issue with this TV. Wondering if clouding is just common with all big screen TVs or just Sharp?

Clouding and flashlighting are fairly common with edge-lit LED/LCDs, and more noticeable on big ones. My LG 65LW6500 has it, but it's not noticeable in normal viewing. Well, I can just make it out if I'm looking hard at, say, the last chapter of Zero Dark Thirty. My wife is puzzled as to what I'm talking about.

My own Sharp 70LE640U exhibits *no* clouding or flashlighting at all. Change to an inactive output and you can't tell if the TV is on or not. (Unless the logo on the bezel is enabled).

However, it has some minor DSE (dirty screen effect), a couple very faint streaks only noticeable with a static, solid light color. Like with a web page, and I see it now as I'm typing this. Not ever noticeable otherwise.

So I wouldn't single out Sharp particularly for clouding issues, though I don't know for certain about models other than my own.
fritzi93 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Member
 
jim brice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

It is great that you offered so much info but reading a 2 page paragraph is tough! I could not make it through your post before having my brain explode. lol

It was probably even worse of me to quote all that text. haha

Anyway, I did make it through to see you discussing the ST60. I owned one and returned it due to image retention. It did have a great piture though.

I ended up with a Samsung 60es7500. The only time you can see any type of clouding on it is when you are in a pitch black room on a total black screen and for that I have a bias lighting kit which negates any clouding you could possible see.

Samsungs micro dimming is top notch. I also went through 4 different 2012 LG LED models and the Samsung's blacks and screen uniformty blow it away. In a lighted environment the Sammy's black appear darker then even the ST60 did.

So I am going to assume the 2013 Sammy F models will be even better the the 2012 ES model I currently own.


Sorry about that guys I just got a bit carried away plus I usually go on the forum with my kindle and its a pain to type. I laughed when I saw that you quoted it. I went sony because when I was at BB all the Samsung's seemed to have bad clouding. They even offered me a samsung, also I heard the 3d has bad off viewing angles with the glasses. But I guess I should of accepted since I never had a samsung before I just didn't want another crap tv, I've just been so comfortable with sony for awhile now as well. Another thing is that my friend has a samsung and the black levels are terrible but I think it is a lower end 2013 model I think it might be the F series? And tell me about It i feel you on the LG thing man one of the worse tv's I delt with next to panosonic (for specific reasons). Two things I did like on the LM was the no bezel, and the off viewing angles were amazing for 3d I was in my dining room far to the right and still saw images popping in front of me. But awful "hotspots". I would believe that anything would look blacker in a well lit room then the st60 because of that horried grey panel(which is supposed to make it look better during the day) but it doesn't... it just looks awful ruining the panel's black levels. I hated it lol.

Why, Sony? Why?...
jim brice is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Member
 
SamOner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Mookie, Have you looked into the UN65F7100? If not I highly suggest it. I currently have the UN60F7100 and most likely I will upgrade to the UN65F7100. It is on sale for about 2,200 at Amazon. The F7100 is an amazing set and it is close to the PQ of the F8000. For the price the F7100 is a win. If you have any questions about the F7100, I will be happy to answer.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un65f7100.html
SamOner is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
M00KIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^Im kinda considering anything and everything now

Currently researching KDL-55W900A but its only a 55 inch...
M00KIE is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Newbie
 
inline_phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooksville, FL
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
See my review of the Samsung UN65F8000 at http://www.avsforum.com/products/samsung-un65f8000-65-inch-3d-ultra-slim-smart-led-hdtv?utm_campaign=subscription&utm_source=subscription_digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Look at the blacks compared to the others mentioned. Plus this is a bright set which would work well in your bright room.
inline_phil is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Samsung Un65f8000 65 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off