Worth switching to to Sony W802 for Gaming Input Lag Decrease? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, I'm currently using a Vizio M-Series 60" M601d-A3R and pretty happy with everything EXCEPT for the input lag when motion smoothing is on.

According to a review I read the lag in game mode is 36ms (and it feels great in Game mode, I cannot tell there is any lag). However when I put it in any other mode the lag jumps up to a giant 130ms! Definitely not enjoyable! The Sony KDL-55w802a is supposed to have a really low input lag in game mode of 17ms, but the Motionflow enabled mode is not listed. I would like to play games with the Motionflow technology enabled without being lagged to hell. I could not find any numbers anywhere and I've searched for a while.

This is bothering me though! (Enough that I'm on the verge of returning the Vizio set to the store and replacing it with a Sony KDL-w802a). Some things that is bothering me about the SONY set is that I saw it in store and it seems a bit more reflective than the Vizio, thought it is not bad. Reviews also state that the black levels are not as good (on the w802a). I don't want to replace this TV only to be disappointed by just as much input lag and more glare / worse black levels! Especially since it would cost me an extra $600.

Am I just hoping against hope or are SONY 802a TV actually playable with Motionflow on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkonnen8 View Post

Hi Guys, I'm currently using a Vizio M-Series 60" M601d-A3R and pretty happy with everything EXCEPT for the input lag when motion smoothing is on.

According to a review I read the lag in game mode is 36ms (and it feels great in Game mode, I cannot tell there is any lag). However when I put it in any other mode the lag jumps up to a giant 130ms! Definitely not enjoyable! The Sony KDL-55w802a is supposed to have a really low input lag in game mode of 17ms, but the Motionflow enabled mode is not listed. I would like to play games with the Motionflow technology enabled without being lagged to hell. I could not find any numbers anywhere and I've searched for a while.

This is bothering me though! (Enough that I'm on the verge of returning the Vizio set to the store and replacing it with a Sony KDL-w802a). Some things that is bothering me about the SONY set is that I saw it in store and it seems a bit more reflective than the Vizio, thought it is not bad. Reviews also state that the black levels are not as good (on the w802a). I don't want to replace this TV only to be disappointed by just as much input lag and more glare / worse black levels! Especially since it would cost me an extra $600.

Am I just hoping against hope or are SONY 802a TV actually playable with Motionflow on?

Games are not meant to be played with frame interpolation. The sony sets do not allow you to turn on interpolation in game mode. You can however turn on a mode called "impulse" which smooths the picture out to CRT levels. It does dim the picture considerably and also has some screen flicker.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Thanks for the reply! smile.gif

I realize games aren't meant to be played with Motionflow (frame interpolation) enabled. However, for some games I find it improves the experience.

For example, Final Fantasy XIII-2 suffers from choppy framerates but also feels really nice with smoothing enabled (brings it up to a better perceived framerate). In other games ie. Demon'sSouls i find the artificial framerate detracts from the experience. In a side-scroller like Runner 2 - legend of rhythm alien the judder is so bad on a 60" TV that I can't focus my eyes properly without Smooth MotionI For games like FFxIII-2 or Runner 2 i find it mandatory to have smoothing on. For games like Dark Souls or Ratchet & Clank I find it makes almost no difference - can live without.

I just like having the option of frame smoothing without adding a crapload of lag and I heard good things about Sony's processors. My old Vizio TV had about 80ms of lag with Smooth Motion enabled, which I found quite tolerable. Does anyone have any lag numbers regarding the w802a series with Motionflow enabled? Impulse mode is a nice option to have at 30ms lag but not the primary concern for me.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Thanks for the reply! smile.gif

I realize games aren't meant to be played with Motionflow (frame interpolation) enabled. However, for some games I find it improves the experience.

For example, Final Fantasy XIII-2 suffers from choppy framerates but also feels really nice with smoothing enabled (brings it up to a better perceived framerate). In other games ie. Demon'sSouls i find the artificial framerate detracts from the experience. In a side-scroller like Runner 2 - legend of rhythm alien the judder is so bad on a 60" TV that I can't focus my eyes properly without Smooth MotionI For games like FFxIII-2 or Runner 2 i find it mandatory to have smoothing on. For games like Dark Souls or Ratchet & Clank I find it makes almost no difference - can live without.

I just like having the option of frame smoothing without adding a crapload of lag and I heard good things about Sony's processors. My old Vizio TV had about 80ms of lag with Smooth Motion enabled, which I found quite tolerable. Does anyone have any lag numbers regarding the w802a series with Motionflow enabled? Impulse mode is a nice option to have at 30ms lag but not the primary concern for me.

Yes I posted results for the w900a in the owners thread, which will closely relate to the w802a considering they have the same processor. The w802a is just slightly faster (by 2ms or so) because it uses an IPS panel. With motion smoothing enabled on the w802a, expect around 90+ms. Thats as good as it will get for any tv with motion smoothing enabled.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again UFO for your reply!

In your opinion, is it worth the extra cash to get the w900a instead of the w802a if the primary purpose is gaming?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again UFO for your reply!

In your opinion, is it worth the extra cash to get the w900a instead of the w802a if the primary purpose is gaming?

If you have the money to spend then yes biggrin.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, good answer, is there any difference other than the active 3D? 3D is not a primary concern for me, but what would justify the extra $700? I mean I can afford either but don't really want to throw out an extra $700 unless there's a good reason!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page