ROKU streaming vs built in Netflix ap - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the new term LLE. I still get it no matter what setting, and I hate it. I then realized that what the heck, it might be the make up artists fault! Anyway, I just discovered something by accidant and m wondering if anyone else has run across this, I was watching a nature type of show on Netflix streaming through my Roku 2 HD. Right now my Roku is connected via HDMI to my Denon 5308 AV receiver (antiquated already- arrrrg), and from there to my Sony. I then decided just to see what the picture looked like using the Sony's "smart" Netflix app. The picture quality was significantly better! I thought that perhaps my Denon was doing something wacky to the picture, so I hooked the Roku directly into the Sony. I could not see any difference between that and it going through my Denon. So how is it the Sony's Netflix app produces such a more clearer and more vivid pic? Keep in mind the interent speed in all cases is the same. I have a ticket about this with Roku support, and so far they are scratching their heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I use Netflix through the app on my Sharp 80" TV. No ROKU or other device for direct comparison, but with my 6mb DSL speed I get better PQ on Netflix than I do from my DISH HD connection.

I had never tried Netflix before getting a TV with the app included, as I never expected the quality to be that good. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

I do tend to watch titles either in HD or SuperHD on Netflix, which tends to help.

Not sure what the difference between the internal app and the ROKU might be...
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't post too often but had to reply to this one, as I saw the exact same thing. Had to return my Roku 2 because of it. There was significantly better picture from my PS3 in direct comparisons using Netflix (no other apps had the issue). The only conclusion I could come up with was for some reason when the Roku 2 was testing the connection, it didn't meet the requirements for full hd so it would output sd. I haven't read that any others have the problem, so it could be a bad Roku 2 or just some weird quirk with the internet connection test.

That was about a year ago and have since bought a Roku 3 - which has great Netflix HD pq quality, no problem.

"When did t.v. watching become so complicated?"
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Roku Hd Player , Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Sharp 80 Inch Le650 Class Aquos Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 5308ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page