Heat - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a new M701D for a week and have noticed the corner edges of the frame get extremely hot. TV guy at Costco said the Vizio TVs are known for their heat output. Can this be normal and will that effect the reliability of the set over time? Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I would think that excessive heat on any tv would affect it over time. I've never heard of the Vizio's having a heat issue like you describe.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 565

I've never heard of that either, and by the way I would take what the TV guys at Costco say with a cow-lick.  After hearing some of the mistakes that come out of the supposedly "trained" guys from Best Buy, I can't imagine that Costco training is much better.  That might be a crass and unfair judgement, but I'm really not sure that a wholesale store can be expected to keep folks up on this stuff.

When I google for "vizio TV heat" (without the quotes), I end up with far fewer hits than with "sony tv heat".  Sony even had a recall years ago.  And it seems that most of the vizio links are old.  I'm not sure what "extremely hot" means to you, but I'd consider returning the set.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
^^^^ agree about the "training" at either Costco and BB. Out of the two, I'd think that BB would be better, but.......

Vizio quality can be hit and miss so being as you got it at Costco, I'd take it back for an exchange if you choose to stick with Vizio.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 565

How about going to Costco and feeling the corners of the TVs that are there?  The floor displays stay on for most of the day.  If it's a "common" thing, then it'll be there.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
if your set has an edgelit LED backlight, that could explain why the corners are warmer than other parts of the TV, but extremely hot sounds too extreme to be normal

how high have you set the backlight control on the TV and is your TV placed in a TV cabinet or area that has poor ventilation?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page